Author Topic: Dustin Martin [merged]  (Read 904913 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Dustin Martin [merged]
« Reply #375 on: June 01, 2010, 12:54:56 PM »
Martin hints at staying a Tiger
richmondfc.com.au
By Luke Holmesby
Tue 01 June, 2010

RICHMOND youngster Dustin Martin has given the first public indication that he may ignore potential offers from Gold Coast and Greater West Sydney to remain a Tiger.

Martin has been strongly linked to the AFL’s newest clubs as a potential recruit, with suggestions that he could be offered as much as $800,000 per season.

While admitting he has not given much thought to his next contract, Martin revealed exclusively to afl.com.au that he would be leaning towards remaining at Punt Rd.

“The Tigers gave me the opportunity and I’m happy here so I’d be happy to stay here,” he said.

Martin was drafted by Richmond with pick three at last year’s NAB AFL Draft and signed a two-year deal with the Tigers that expires at the end of 2011, which coincides with Greater West Sydney’s arrival on the AFL scene.

He has been one of the Tigers’ bright lights in an otherwise gloomy season, missing just one game this season and averaging 20 disposals per match.

The 18-year-old’s ability to win contested possessions and his immaculate disposal have had the football world in raptures and saw him become the round 10 nominee for the NAB AFL Rising Star.

Gold Coast enters the AFL next season but has so far failed to secure any big names. Joel Selwood, Lance Franklin, Nick Riewoldt, Bryce Gibbs and Jarryd Roughead have all re-signed with their Victorian clubs amid speculation they could be chased by Guy McKenna’s team.

Its vast salary cap space and failure to land any big fish so far could mean that the club will focus its intentions on securing the next generation of AFL stars.

Martin is yet to have any discussions about his playing future beyond his initial two-year deal but talks have already begun behind closed doors.

“No, that’s between my manager Ricky Nixon and (Richmond general manager of football operations) Craig Cameron,” he said.

“I haven’t had anything to do with that at the moment, I’m just playing footy.”

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/6301/newsid/95402/default.aspx

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #376 on: June 01, 2010, 02:26:22 PM »
I was one of the few on here that would have been ok with not paying over the odds to keep dustin martin. Our President seems to have gone into panic mode - its not a good look. RFC needs a new President. I am deadset adamant on this. Gary March seems like a decent bloke, but we need a new leader and President. The club needs to convince someone like Michael Green to takeover or at least find a suitable businessman who loves the Tigers to takeover. My preference is Michael Green.

I must admit, I was always anti-March when he first took over the presidency. Concept Sports was millions in debt at the time so I questioned his credentials to take the top job at the RFC. During the last year or two while we handled Wallace's departure I must admit that I thought he handled it well and had no problem with him continuing in the role. I also believe that the worst thing that can happen is for an attempted board challenge and I still think that today.

That being said I think March should move on at some time over the next 12 months and hand over the job to someone who can take the club to the next level.

Ramps

« Reply #377 on: June 01, 2010, 02:47:40 PM »
Im not advocating a board challenge, simply that a new President is found

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #378 on: June 01, 2010, 04:22:58 PM »
can see why Roos reckon Aston was worth Rohan & Jetta

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #379 on: June 01, 2010, 10:46:06 PM »
Im not advocating a board challenge, simply that a new President is found

Sorry, wasn't saying you were. Was just a comment on where I thought things were at.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #380 on: June 02, 2010, 05:07:49 AM »

I was one of the few on here that would have been ok with not paying over the odds to keep dustin martin. Our President seems to have gone into panic mode - its not a good look. RFC needs a new President. I am deadset adamant on this. Gary March seems like a decent bloke, but we need a new leader and President. The club needs to convince someone like Michael Green to takeover or at least find a suitable businessman who loves the Tigers to takeover. My preference is Michael Green.

I'm not sure what panic mode you see March in Ramps?  In the past we have been very critical of our President(s) and CEO(s) not speaking out when we have been wearing the rough end of the pineapple and here is a prime time where we needed our leaders to speak up and say "we're not going to cop this" yet you immediately accuse him of panicking!  We might well be able to do okay out of an upgrade on him but I don't think he is doing that bad a job that he needs immediate replacement.  He has surprised me with the job him and his board have done off field since the Casey Cancer and we won't be losing ground or shooting ourselves in the foot he he stays for a while longer.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #381 on: June 23, 2010, 02:17:37 AM »
The media keep harping on about Martin and GWS  :sleep. It was also the first thing Mark Doran mentioned on radio straight after our win over Brisbane  ::).

While the AFL is yet to finalise the compensation system for teams that lose stars to the Gold Coast, Richmond's boom youngster Dustin Martin was used to demonstrate the unfairness of the initial rules - in which Martin could be lost to GWS, with the Tigers receiving only a second-round draft pick.

The AFL executive is now working to revise those compensation rules and while there is much focus on what is seen as the Gary Ablett rule - the compensation Geelong would receive if it lost him to Gold Coast - there is more concern at commission and executive level about the possibility of a lowly club receiving scant return for losing a 20-year-old.

The initial formula meant that a player such as Martin, who is not paid much in his first two seasons, would be measured by what he was paid by his previous club, not the new team if it signed him.

The Tigers are confident of retaining Martin, who has attracted the interest of GWS and is simply being used as an hypothetical by the AFL.

Under the revised formula, which is yet to be settled, the compensation for a younger player such as Martin would be based upon what the new club offered him, not his existing contract.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-gains-ground-in-sydneys-greater-west-20100622-yvqm.html

richmondrules

« Reply #382 on: June 23, 2010, 08:19:33 AM »
thebigricho on Yellow and Black has heard that the deal has been done with Dustin. I'll ley you all decide how accurate you feel this is but at least it might make some of you feel good. Reading it made me feel good.  :thumbsup

http://www.yellowandblack.com.au/forum/showthread.php?p=325407#post325407

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #383 on: June 23, 2010, 09:09:37 AM »
thebigricho on Yellow and Black has heard that the deal has been done with Dustin. I'll ley you all decide how accurate you feel this is but at least it might make some of you feel good. Reading it made me feel good.  :thumbsup

My mail is it is getting there but not done
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

« Reply #384 on: June 23, 2010, 09:25:57 AM »

My mail is it is getting there but not done

My mail is all bills and junk mail.

Email has well and truly killed off personal letters.

Anyway, good news about Dusty. I'm going to enjoy watching his progression over the next 10 years.

:thumbsup

Offline crannyvegas

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #385 on: June 23, 2010, 12:36:00 PM »
Jake Niall, provides some tiny bit of solace if the deal isn't struck with Dustin, as opposed to the original plan.

The AFL is poised to announce changes to its compensation system, with a new panel to determine if a club can receive a second first-round draft pick in exchange for losing a superstar player to the Gold Coast or Greater Western Sydney.

This means under the new system, Geelong would be able to get a second first-round draft pick if it lost Gary Ablett to the Gold Coast - but it would have to make its case and seek approval from the new panel.

The same would apply to a club that lost a budding young star - for example, if Richmond was to lose Dustin Martin to GWS, they could apply to the panel for a second first-round pick.

It is understood the highest pick that could be awarded to a club as compensation would be the first round draft pick that comes after all non-finals playing teams have made their initial selections. In an 18-team competition with a final eight, that would be pick 11. With a final 12, it would be pick seven.

Clubs, headed by Geelong, have been lobbying against the initital system. The Cats have good reason to protest - under the initial system, if the Brownlow medallist decided to join his brother Nathan on the Gold Coast, the earliest draft pick the Cats would get as compensation would be at the start of the second round, which would be No.26 at this year's national draft.

It’s also believed that compensation to existing clubs who lose players to Gold Coast or GWS will instead be determined by the amount he's to be paid by the expansion clubs - not by player's existing contract.

Clubs are being briefed prior to an official announcement by the AFL at 12.45pm.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-to-announce-new-compensation-system-for-star-players-20100623-yx8e.html
Detka! Detka! Detka!

Ox

« Reply #386 on: June 23, 2010, 12:58:18 PM »
seriously,is the big wog serious about raping the competition just so he can have his ego teams?

why couldn't clubs take legal action ?

TigerTimeII

« Reply #387 on: June 23, 2010, 01:03:27 PM »
wogs rule!!!  unlike zipper heads

FNM

« Reply #388 on: June 23, 2010, 01:07:20 PM »
Willie, you'd probably know this. Do u know where Martin's parents live. I was eavesdropping on a conversation and they said Martin lived with the "chairman" of RFC because his folks live in Sydney. Is that true anyone?  

TigerTimeII

« Reply #389 on: June 23, 2010, 01:13:29 PM »
Willie, you'd probably know this. Do u know where Martin's parents live. I was eavesdropping on a conversation and they said Martin lived with the "chairman" of RFC because his folks live in Sydney. Is that true anyone?  

martin lives with gary march

his dad is in sydney

his mum in castlemaine, they are divorced