Author Topic: Chris Knights does his ACL at training [update]  (Read 94612 times)

the claw

Re: Chris Knights [merged]
« Reply #435 on: June 02, 2014, 12:20:10 AM »
Has the last half of this year to convince me he is over his injuries.
Undoubtably talented and at his best would be a real weapon.

Alas I think his body is shot.......
i agree think he is a real decent player who has constantly been cruelled by injury. if capable of getting fit and staying fit would have been a massive improvement on hacks we keep on re-signing.
he was a free agent and one with enough talent to warrant giving a chance to and taking a punt on.good quality players are what we lack and he was  a good player when fit.

would not be surprised if he retires at seasons end.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #436 on: June 02, 2014, 07:07:59 AM »
Has the last half of this year to convince me he is over his injuries.
Undoubtably talented and at his best would be a real weapon.

Alas I think his body is shot.......
i agree think he is a real decent player who has constantly been cruelled by injury. if capable of getting fit and staying fit would have been a massive improvement on hacks we keep on re-signing.
he was a free agent and one with enough talent to warrant giving a chance to and taking a punt on.good quality players are what we lack and he was  a good player when fit.

would not be surprised if he retires at seasons end.
At least that would free up cap space.......
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #437 on: June 02, 2014, 08:27:49 AM »
Now Claw give me your thesis on how he was a good selection again? Keep it under 1000 words mate, cheers.

3 year deal for a battled frail man. Beauty, let's  go grab Tom Williams or Higgins then?

Edwards and this bloke should never have been recruited.

End of story. Play and develop the bloody kids FFS and recruit your Miles types and use the spare coin for quality proven ball winners like Goddard

Haven't got an issue recruiting ready to go players but not on 3 yr stuffin deals. There is a reason why crows never matched this offer

We need quality players and instead of these dinky 350k a year deal.

Do you think his going to retire and walk away from 350k. Foley A Edwards and this bloke must be pinching themselves how a club can be so stuffin stupid. Meanwhile clubs are picking up cream like Goddard through FA

Claw you seem like a smart bloke
Do you think  we are failing because of the actual people doing the developing and recruiting.

Look at FJ FfS, how in gods name is he still in a job??

Fix the poo at the top first

I have zero confidence in anything this bloke does. I mean FFS he was Millers side kick yet we are still paying his wages

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #438 on: June 19, 2014, 08:47:18 PM »
Aggression pays off for injured Tiger Knights
Nathan Schmook 
afl.com.au
June 19, 2014 2:31 PM

RICHMOND forward Chris Knights has had a breakthrough in his lengthy return from a serious knee injury, with another round of surgery three weeks ago revealing a piece of floating bone that been stonewalling his recovery.

Knights, who has not played at senior level since round seven last season, has experienced multiple setbacks since tearing the patella tendon in his right knee more than 13 months ago.   

But now he has renewed hope of playing at senior level this season.

The 27-year-old underwent a knee cleanout last month that could have ended his season, but it instead uncovered a crucial piece of the puzzle that could have him back in full training in the coming weeks. 

"There were a couple of options on the table and [the doctor] said, 'If we go down this path it could be the end of your season'," Knights told AFL.com.au.

"At the end of the day I couldn't just be waiting for my knee to get better and really training under duress.

"I said, 'Whatever I do from here on it has to be an aggressive decision', and it turned out after the surgery I was able to walk out of there and it felt really comfortable.

"I'm really glad I went down that path."

Knights was on track to play in round one this season after appearing to put the injury behind him over summer, but he broke down in a practice match against Essendon in late March.

He has spent the past three weeks rehabilitating his right knee following surgery and is now completing light football drills and almost sprinting.

The former Adelaide half-forward, who joined Richmond as a free agent at the end of 2012, said the past year had presented the toughest mental challenge of his 101-game career.

"There's been times where I've thought, 'Enough is enough. What am I doing? I feel like I'm letting the team down and my teammates down'," he said. 

"At the end of the day you talk to the ones that care about you most – whether it's the coaches, your family, your partner – and they say, 'You're not letting anyone down, you didn't mean for this to happen', and it puts you back on track. 

"I had a good chat with Ivan (Maric) because he was in a similar position at the start of the year."

Knights has taken on mentoring roles with young players, particularly Matt Arnot, and will often run extra swimming and cycling sessions for teammates, given he is now an expert in those areas.

He has conditioned himself not to set goals from an injury point of view because "sometimes your body doesn't allow you to achieve them", but he hasn't written off 2014.

"I'd like to play AFL towards the end of this year … good AFL football for the team and build a bit of momentum into the pre-season," he said.

"There's no danger of doing a similar injury again, it's more whether it deteriorates.

"That's why I'm spending a lot of time in the gym making sure the tendon is getting stronger.

"I really want to get back out there and do what I enjoy doing most."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-06-19/tigers-aggression-pays-off

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #439 on: June 19, 2014, 08:58:05 PM »
Let me guess.
Someone will say that he'll be like a new recruit next year! :whistle

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #440 on: June 19, 2014, 09:17:25 PM »

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #441 on: June 19, 2014, 09:57:23 PM »
Serious question Dr YABB,

How could this happen? I mean why wasn't the floating bone picked up earlier?

Seems like season wasted because this wasn't found earlier
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #442 on: June 19, 2014, 10:23:40 PM »
Let me guess.
Someone will say that he'll be like a new recruit next year! :whistle
Secret weapon.  :shh
The club that keeps giving.

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #443 on: June 19, 2014, 10:32:44 PM »

I guess the most obvious reason is that nobody bothered to scan it after he broke down in March.  Usually the best test for the knee is an MRI. It picks up bony, meniscal, muscular and ligamentous injuries.
I will make enquiries through a friend that works occasionally with one of the part time medical staff at Richmond why this wasn't done.  It's often hard to get answers though.

But honestly, I have no idea if they scanned him or not.  I don't know whether this problem (the floating bone) occurred in March or more recently. Who knows?

Cheers.

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #444 on: June 19, 2014, 10:40:54 PM »
"There's no danger of doing a similar injury again, it's more whether it deteriorates.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-06-19/tigers-aggression-pays-off

That's gotta worry you.  Under the rigors of AFL, thats almost a guarantee.  Deteriorating knees just never heal.  Probably means its bye bye at the end of the year.

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #445 on: June 19, 2014, 10:43:46 PM »

Reasonable question wp, however it's safe to assume the floating bone was floating earlier on   :huh
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #446 on: June 20, 2014, 12:04:17 AM »
This could be the one we've been waiting for, Fullaz !! ;D
Caracella and Balmey.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #447 on: June 20, 2014, 06:57:40 AM »

I guess the most obvious reason is that nobody bothered to scan it after he broke down in March.  Usually the best test for the knee is an MRI. It picks up bony, meniscal, muscular and ligamentous injuries.
I will make enquiries through a friend that works occasionally with one of the part time medical staff at Richmond why this wasn't done.  It's often hard to get answers though.

But honestly, I have no idea if they scanned him or not.  I don't know whether this problem (the floating bone) occurred in March or more recently. Who knows?

Cheers.

:thumbsup thanks

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #448 on: June 20, 2014, 05:16:29 PM »
It is possible for MRI's to miss the floating bone for various reason and the only way to pick it up would be surgery (arthroscopy)

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #449 on: June 20, 2014, 05:42:08 PM »
It is possible for MRI's to miss the floating bone for various reason and the only way to pick it up would be surgery (arthroscopy)
It depends on your radiologist and the quality of the scans. It should pick up at least 95% of all problems.