Author Topic: Shai Bolton [merged]  (Read 177292 times)

Offline Eat_em_Alive

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Shai Bolton halts contract talks with the Tigers (Zerohanger)
« Reply #270 on: May 24, 2018, 06:29:09 AM »
Unless he is given more chances this year there is a real risk regardless of how much money is offered he will leave the club.

Agree also

Exactly my sentiments

He's only shown glimpses to date. No doubt he's talented and a very classy player. But from round 1 he seemed preoccupied with trying to take mark of the year than doing the team thing or even kicking goals.

I hope he stays but if he would rather go to WA for $$$$$$$ then all the best to him. With Rioli, Higgins, Stengle, and even potentially Maurice Rioli Jr I don't think we need to bend over backwards for him
The anywhere, anytime Tigers.
E A T  E M  A L I V E  M O F O S

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #271 on: May 24, 2018, 06:59:07 AM »
That article is the complete opposite to what I have heard - it's sounding like the bidding war could be as high as a first rounder  :shh
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #272 on: May 24, 2018, 09:13:44 AM »
stuff people have been hard on this kid for a 2nd year player..

All the talent is there. I don't want to be seeing Butler go possessionless for quarters on end or see Castagna display some of the worst skills and decision making possible. Give Bolton more opportunity, get Rioli fit and watch Stengle develop some more. I reckon these 3 are the future. Not that Butler and Castagna aren't decent players - they are and they helped us win a premiership. But if we get these kids up to speed then they'll have it all over those 2.
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #273 on: May 24, 2018, 11:19:26 AM »

All the talent is there. I don't want to be seeing Butler go possessionless for quarters on end or see Castagna display some of the worst skills and decision making possible. Give Bolton more opportunity, get Rioli fit and watch Stengle develop some more. I reckon these 3 are the future. Not that Butler and Castagna aren't decent players - they are and they helped us win a premiership. But if we get these kids up to speed then they'll have it all over those 2.

George has been very good this season, agree with butler - should have been dropped a few weeks ago. Then again you cant be harsh on them either considering theyre not much more experienced then bolts.

Dougeytherichmondfan

« Reply #274 on: May 24, 2018, 11:44:45 AM »

Just so you're clear, Georgies 2nd year was last year and Butler's might as well have been as he lost one due to a knee reco.

Agree that Shai has a much higher ceiling than those two, but for same age and stage Castag and Butlers are WAY ahead of Bolton.

Dan also was only in his second year in '17. Can you honestly see Shai kicking 4 crucial goals in a prelim at this stage? We're a premiership side, we dont gift games to guys to "blood" them anymore, when theres better performing cattle to choose from. That was so 2012....

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #275 on: May 24, 2018, 01:15:00 PM »

George has been very good this season, agree with butler - should have been dropped a few weeks ago. Then again you cant be harsh on them either considering theyre not much more experienced then bolts.

That's true. George has been mostly good. His last 2 weeks haven't been great however. Though his best footy is yet to come as well. I just reckon Bolton has the potential and skillset to become a far better player than both Butler/George.

Just so you're clear, Georgies 2nd year was last year and Butler's might as well have been as he lost one due to a knee reco.

Agree that Shai has a much higher ceiling than those two, but for same age and stage Castag and Butlers are WAY ahead of Bolton.

Dan also was only in his second year in '17. Can you honestly see Shai kicking 4 crucial goals in a prelim at this stage?

Yes it was. And he was inconsistent in his performances outside of pressure for the most part. The main thing that was never in doubt was his endeavour and ability to chase. I recall many calling for his head after a number of games.

You're basing that comment on the fact a 19 year old Bolton has played 2 games so far in his 2nd season. One against Carlton where I thought some of his efforts were fantastic but his overall output wasn't good enough & he flew for a few too many marks. 2nd round was against Adelaide...at Adelaide Oval...where we were beaten convincingly. Not exactly the easiest start to the season for the kid. There's still 14 games to go and who is to say he won't come in for a run of games, build confidence and provide us something Butler/Castagna don't have the ability to.

Butler/Castagna kicked 4 & 3 respectively for the entire finals series, so not sure where the 4 goals in a prelim comes from, that was Dan Rioli.

We're a premiership side, we dont gift games to guys to "blood" them anymore, when theres better performing cattle to choose from. That was so 2012....
So who are the better performing cattle? Butler has been atrocious, absolutely atrocious. The one game he kicked 3 or so was off the back of getting a few easy ones following great forward pressure from his teammates. But not to discredit him, he's created goals for others over time with that same pressure. But right now he's about useful as pockets in your underpants and should have a run in the VFL with Bolton or Stengle getting a go in his place
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #276 on: May 24, 2018, 02:19:27 PM »
Straight swap for Cerra.... :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #277 on: May 24, 2018, 02:19:48 PM »
If you could get a first rounder for Shai I would be taking that as he will want to head home at some point. 

Dougeytherichmondfan

« Reply #278 on: May 24, 2018, 02:21:54 PM »
If you could get a first rounder for Shai I would be taking that as he will want to head home at some point.
Then we should sign Lynch for a 3 year 500k contract.....

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #280 on: May 24, 2018, 05:46:46 PM »

Don't think his talent is the issue.

I reckon has plenty of talent, unfortunately so far in his handful of games it is his defensive efforts (or in his case lack there of) that are the issue

But the bigger issue for mine is a 2nd year player, who has played limited games due the deficiencies in his game and his manager putting off contract talks. At this point in his career he shouldn't be demanding big $$$, again unfortunately his manager plays the game that way.

So....

If he wants to go, let him go
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 09:28:27 PM by WilliamPowell »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #281 on: May 24, 2018, 07:46:47 PM »
Talent is there.The question is he doesn't do the basics in footy enough chasing,tackling and pressure etc and keep involved in the game to much show for me at times.Stengle his ahead of him now.Partner him up with Dan Rioli at training to learn this.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #282 on: May 24, 2018, 08:04:54 PM »
Sampi Mk.II - all style, no substance.....:shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Lebowski

« Reply #283 on: May 24, 2018, 08:13:19 PM »
He'd want to start performing a bit more if he wants to maneuver for a better contract.. I dont know if anyone has noticed  but his kicks arent penetrating and dont travel through the air quickly.

Offline The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #284 on: May 24, 2018, 08:22:47 PM »
You don't allow talent like this walk out the door. Must keep IMO.