Author Topic: Dustin Martin [merged]  (Read 941854 times)

Offline JVT

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Dustin Martin [merged]
« Reply #2265 on: September 16, 2013, 02:27:15 PM »
If Carlton can afford to pay overs for Thomas as a free agent and then another 600 for Martin on top of all their other players and we are apparently scraping the barrel for money in the salary cap something is seriously wrong!
Has nothing to do with salary cap being near 100%, not sure where this has been reported but it is not true?

It's been stated many times by the RFC that they will not deviate from their payment strategy model (the same Geelong use). Purpose of this is that they don't have any 1 player getting paid massive amounts and that we can stay competitive in free agency etc. Also ensures there is room for payments to the developing players when they come good to pay them more.

dwaino

« Reply #2266 on: September 16, 2013, 02:28:22 PM »
With Martin officially on the table maybe we'll get some serious offers. If several clubs are keen we might get something juicy and he might accept one of them meaning he won't have to go somewhere he really really doesn't want to go.

If we couldn't get pick 1 if be keen on Patton especially if we could work something out on top for Adams too.

How bad is Patton's knee? How has his rehab gone? Find it fishy they are willing to give up a pick 1 unless they think Boyd will be better. We need to tread carefully too and not just accept an offer on a horses for courses basis. We need to look into getting what we need in return.

That's a great question and I guess it would come down to the medical before finalising a trade. His first knee job was precautionary, the second was a freak injury that could happen to any player. So I'm not of the belief it's chronic ala Menzel at Geelong. I just don't see how the Giants could trade pick 1 to anyone as they have dibs on any player they want in the PSD. A player like Martin putting 700-800k on their head wouldn't deter them at all I don't think and that might make clubs like West Coast (seen on FB and stuff saying he met with people over there?), Saints, Pies and anyone chuck offers at us like Melbourne did at Clarke. We might get some overs if a club knows they'll lose him otherwise. Even 10 and 11 from Colligwood could be handy if it snares us both Longer and Adams. This just might be the best thing to happen to us.

But I've never been good and predicting any of this stuff so just another nuffie with a ridiculous suggestion  :lol

the claw

« Reply #2267 on: September 16, 2013, 02:31:59 PM »
Send him where the money is, that's what he wants.

GWS can give us Pick 1 and Adams for Martin and our 2nd rounder.
you do realise if he chooses gws they get him for nothing.we force him to the draft what do they do use pick 1. we are over a barrell and i reckon its going to hurt one helluva lot.

lets hope the player himself insists we get some sort of reasonable compensation.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2268 on: September 16, 2013, 02:34:39 PM »
GWS have stated that pick 1 is on the table.they want an experienced player.

martin may not be what they had in mind originally, but he is only a few years off and already has the body/strength they want in their midfield
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2269 on: September 16, 2013, 02:34:55 PM »
Robbo on SEN doesn't believe it's about money (difference isn't that great) or outside factors. He mentioned it's "football related". Club and Dusty/management had heavy discussions yesterday and it's broken down.

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #2270 on: September 16, 2013, 02:41:13 PM »
Football related?? Does he mean Coaching issues? issue with other players or not being allowed to play how he wants?

Offline Loui Tufga

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Beaver BLT
« Reply #2271 on: September 16, 2013, 02:42:49 PM »
If Martin nominates GWS as the club he wants to go to then we will certainly loose bargaining power but I doubt they would force him into the PSD. If he chooses a club above us on the ladder that will certainly help our case. Either way I think a fair and reasonable deal can be struck with any team. The minimum of a first round pick plus an established player would get it done.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #2272 on: September 16, 2013, 02:44:29 PM »
Robbo on SEN doesn't believe it's about money (difference isn't that great) or outside factors. He mentioned it's "football related". Club and Dusty/management had heavy discussions yesterday and it's broken down.

Wants to sleep over at the CEOs house 4 days  week

Club only saying two day p week

Negotiations broken down

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2273 on: September 16, 2013, 02:44:52 PM »
Got the feeling it has to do with club rules.  Dan Connors may still be screwing us years after he has left!
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

tony_montana

« Reply #2274 on: September 16, 2013, 02:45:16 PM »

its payback for the club delisting his dhead mate connors

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2275 on: September 16, 2013, 02:47:49 PM »

dwaino

« Reply #2276 on: September 16, 2013, 02:48:33 PM »
If it wasn't about money he would have signed yonks ago.

dwaino

« Reply #2277 on: September 16, 2013, 02:48:52 PM »

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2278 on: September 16, 2013, 02:49:26 PM »
Really dissapointing news .but I'm over Dusty holding the club ransom considering he owns the club so much for turinng his life around on the field and off it.No loyality at all.Do the best deal and chase Adams.Cats lost the best player the afl has seen in the last decade and won a flag a year later and a still up there challenging.No one is bigger then the club !!!!!!!!!!!.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2279 on: September 16, 2013, 02:49:53 PM »
Football related?? Does he mean Coaching issues? issue with other players or not being allowed to play how he wants?
Robbo wouldn't elaborate. He just said it's hard to see it's only about money as there's only a $50-70k difference which after tax would be $30k.