Author Topic: Dustin Martin [merged]  (Read 919379 times)

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Dustin Martin [merged]
« Reply #330 on: May 26, 2010, 07:57:22 PM »
I think a few of us are more frustrated with the way Sheedy and co are going about it and the fact that the AFL has sat back and said bad luck if you want to keep him you had better fight for him.

Yeah I understand that but some posts seem to be focusing the very small chance of him going rather than the odds being in our favour that he will stay. I will say it again I am very confident he wont being going anywhere

And the AFL have said to all clubs "bad luck if you want to keep him you had better fight for him" because every club is facing a "supposed fight" to keep players in the future.

Look at the Blues they will they have to fight to keep Byrce Gibbs because GC17 is circling? Like us with Cotchin GC17 may think it will be a fight but truth be told not many players leave clubs for more money. Certainly some do but on the whole not many do; especially young ones.

So in the case of Gibbs; he is likely to stay at the Blues (although if wants out of Carlton we should be circling  ;D), ditto Dusty with the Tigers.

Let's not forget outside of Ablett Jnr every big name player that they've tried get has kncoked them back. Some of the targets (eg Cotch & Selwood) didn't even bother to talk to them
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #331 on: May 26, 2010, 08:10:12 PM »
I think a few of us are more frustrated with the way Sheedy and co are going about it and the fact that the AFL has sat back and said bad luck if you want to keep him you had better fight for him.

Yeah I understand that but some posts seem to be focusing the very small chance of him going rather than the odds being in our favour that he will stay. I will say it again I am very confident he wont being going anywhere

And the AFL have said to all clubs "bad luck if you want to keep him you had better fight for him" because every club is facing a "supposed fight" to keep players in the future.

Look at the Blues they will they have to fight to keep Byrce Gibbs because GC17 is circling? Like us with Cotchin GC17 may think it will be a fight but truth be told not many players leave clubs for more money. Certainly some do but on the whole not many do; especially young ones.

So in the case of Gibbs; he is likely to stay at the Blues (although if wants out of Carlton we should be circling  ;D), ditto Dusty with the Tigers.

Let's not forget outside of Ablett Jnr every big name player that they've tried get has kncoked them back. Some of the targets (eg Cotch & Selwood) didn't even bother to talk to them

Well lets hope a lot more players knock them back!!
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline blaisee

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #332 on: May 26, 2010, 08:13:48 PM »
martin will remain a tiger

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #333 on: May 26, 2010, 08:20:07 PM »
martin will remain a tiger

That's what I said  :rollin
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #334 on: May 26, 2010, 08:53:40 PM »
Hence the $2m per year salary they are throwing at GAJ, they have a whole salary cap to spend and only fixed contract draft picks to give the money to at the moment.

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #335 on: May 26, 2010, 09:59:27 PM »
The good news for Tigers fans is Martin wants to stay at Punt Rd and contract negotiations with the Tigers will be discussed in the second half of this year.

That for me is the most important line in the article. I feel the kid wants to stay as his family and especially his dad has a big influence on him as with the deal with Cotch.

Ever other line is just he said she said smacked with a hint of drama and a pinch of overeaction. Throw in Sheedy's name and there you have it every RFC fan in the last 30 years is going to raise their eyebrows.

Money is important as some have mention but if GWS and GC17 have signed no megastar ie Ablett Selwood etc I am sure also that playing in premierships and in front of 70000 at the MCG is, rather than travelling from one of the Northern States to Etihad to play North Melbourne in front of 10000-15000. Furthermore if no megastars sign then success will only be a mirage and players won't want to go. You'll find a few players on their last big contract at 28 or 29 will ultimately end up going and we'll have two teams who may as well be performing as the Brisbane Bears from 1987-93.

Offline 3rogerd

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #336 on: May 26, 2010, 11:34:02 PM »
dusty wont be going anywhere
sheeds has a club to sell.

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
« Reply #337 on: May 27, 2010, 02:02:17 AM »
dusty wont be going anywhere
sheeds has a club to sell.

I believe this to be correct. Sheeds has done young Martin a hell of a favor though. Martins next Richmond contract will be a lot more than what it was probably ear marked for. Sheeds is very good at making noise, its all about marketing, creating energy and momentum for the Sydney area. Never the less we and other clubs should be diligent with list management because he WILL steal somebody. Don't be complacent.
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #338 on: May 27, 2010, 10:25:11 AM »
should not be offered more than 400k to stay with us and he should be prepared to sign a 5 year deal to get it, if Dustin doesnt like the offer he should go to GWS- our club shouldnt allow itself to be held to ransom by other clubs, every year a new batch comes through, every kid wants to play AFL, RFC should hold firm and not stuff up the clubs finances for an 8 game player.

Ramps, if that is the case, Martin is heading north!

$800,000 v $500,000 - which one would you choose?

this player is a 250+ matches in our midfield!

we need to keep him!

Its about how you run your business- if Martin is worth 500k then what is Deledio worth- $700k? or Cotchin- $700k : the salary cap gets blown to smitherines and we will never have success because we wont be able to get enough good players into our club.

do what ever it takes.

Ramps is on the money here (pun intended  :P) We have been down the path of paying players over their worth and it nearly killed the club. If money is the sole factor for a young bloke then somewhere along the line he will leave for more money. It might as well be sooner than later.

The possibility of disharmony amongst the players is not to be discounted either.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #339 on: May 27, 2010, 02:22:47 PM »
A grab on SEN had Peter Schwab saying Richmond supporters needn't worry as he's heard Martin is keen to stay at Punt Rd  :thumbsup.

TigerTimeII

« Reply #340 on: May 28, 2010, 01:27:05 AM »
A grab on SEN had Peter Schwab saying Richmond supporters needn't worry as he's heard Martin is keen to stay at Punt Rd  :thumbsup.

heard the same thing
lets hope we put this to bed asap so sheedy can go stuff himself
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 04:31:05 AM by one-eyed »

Online wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #341 on: May 28, 2010, 11:16:31 AM »
Dermott Brereton tells Richmond's Dustin Martin to take the money

TAKE the cash while you can. That's the message to Tiger tyro Dustin Martin from Hawks legend Dermott Brereton.

The Herald Sun reported earlier this week that Martin was poised to get a $2.4 million offer from the new Greater Western Sydney team just eight games into his AFL career.

The maturity shown in those games has him already earmarked as a future Richmond leader.

Brereton said this morning he should pounce on the offer while his value was so high.

"I'm looking at him from an outsider's perspective and thinking he's going to turn into a waddler," Brereton said.

"He might still be a very good player, but he'll have to be a very good inside player."

"His currency right now, in relative terms to the market, is as good as it's ever going to be."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/dermott-brereton-tells-richmonds-dustin-martin-to-take-the-money/story-e6frf9jf-1225872441375
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Online wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #342 on: May 28, 2010, 11:17:42 AM »

"I'm looking at him from an outsider's perspective and thinking he's going to turn into a waddler," Brereton said.

"He might still be a very good player, but he'll have to be a very good inside player."

A waddler?

I am not too worried about what Dermie thinks. We're all still waiting on Aaron James to be as good as Wayne Carey.  :wallywink
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Ramps

« Reply #343 on: May 28, 2010, 11:25:19 AM »
I can actually see in Dustins playing style what Dermott is talking about. He may not be far off the mark going forward. Offer him 400k if he doesnt like it he can go live in the squalor pits otherwise known as the Western Suburbs of Sydney.

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #344 on: May 28, 2010, 11:52:25 AM »
Dermie would have said that Voss was a waddler as a young bloke. Clearly Martin doesn't the pace of say Judd, but he can find the footy, can use it and doesn't take a backward step.