Author Topic: Dustin Martin - 300 games [merged]  (Read 931321 times)

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
Re: Dustin Martin [merged]
« Reply #3390 on: March 30, 2014, 06:03:58 PM »

:lol
Yeah we're already going to vote for him mate, you don't need to keep selling it.....

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
Re: Dustin Martin [merged]
« Reply #3391 on: March 31, 2014, 01:47:51 PM »
His last name is actually Martin

YEEEAAAH MAN YEAAAAH WOHGOAJOAHO

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richmond need Dustin Martin to rise to the occasion: Brereton (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #3392 on: April 11, 2014, 02:30:58 AM »
Dermott Brereton says Richmond need Dustin Martin to rise to the occasion, is Jamie Elliott Collingwood’s answer?
Herald-Sun
April 11, 2014

HISTORIANS write that in medieval times commanders would put their best soldiers, the ones who were wild of eye and fearless of their foes, at the front of a charge.

They would be the first in what was known as the shield wall because men who are unsure of their own courage, fear their own failure and need to follow fearless leaders.

Richmond seem to be a group who need a ferocious warrior to lead them into battle from the outset. And without Ivan Maric there doesn’t seem to be a fearless warrior ready to clash bodies and lead the charge.

It is ironic that from the outside, the assumption of who is their next best competitive beast and warrior is a second-year player Nick Vlaustin.

Even the way he attacked the ball in the collision with teammate Dylan Grimes that resulted in him being subbed out early against the Bulldogs last week reinforced his uncompromising charge at the football.

Captain Trent Cotchin is fearless also, but he is so good as a player and so valuable, there is the distinct possibility that he will be targeted for heavy physical attention from the opposition mob. And therefore he needs to keep his eyes on the contest and the ball — not the opposition.

Dustin Martin is a beast when he has the ball. Trade mark fend-offs and a right leg like a Scud missile launcher are his long suits. But for all the big, mean and nasty attributes that he seems to possess, no one fears playing against him.

He breaks opposition tackles but he doesn’t break their bones or their hearts. He needs to start, and in a fair manner within the rules, crunch and batter the opposition while still being a very good player. He is no longer the rookie prodigy, he is the present day star and he must make teammates follow him because of his attack.

This must happen tonight against an opponent who is also yet to find its identity this season.

Collingwood is a team that is attacking by nature but just not very good at scoring. At least not at this point in time anyway.

We know what they will try to do as they really attack hard through the middle and their midfielders do take balanced risks but the forwards are yet to truly mesh together.

I am still yet to decide whether or not Jamie Elliott is the real deal. Sometimes we need to look deeper than the tally of goals or the highlight package.

Most small forwards have a completely different skill set to him. Most are crumbing players that can chase, harass and tackle in their area. Most can also push into the midfield.

And some for an added bonus can take overhead marks.

For most of the others the overhead marking component is like the steak knives thrown into the end deal. So if Elliott, who is low for pressure acts, doesn’t push into the midfield and isn’t really a crumbing small forward, where does that leave him?

His long suit is his marking, but I can’t get my head around the thought that a spectacular mark here or there will compensate for his inadequacies in the other facets.

The accepted and balanced forward set up that Collingwood has preferred over more recent times is two key forwards and two high half-forwards that literally play as midfielders. And two more mid-range players that provide a mixture of pressure acts, lead-up marking and perhaps even slp in as a third tall forward.

Travis Cloke and Jesse White have the first two roles of target key forwards. Tyson Goldsack and Ben Reid, on return, will have the third tall and lead-up roles.

And that leaves Steele Sidebottom to be one of the high half-forwards. Elliot takes the sixth spot, which leaves them one high half-forward short.

Elliott neither crumbs, nor runs down the opposition. Therefore Collingwood lacks the pressure and crumbing attributes of one small forward. This imbalances them compared to other top teams.

The opposition may fear young Elliott’s leap and aerial attributes but once the ball hits the deck, there is not as much pressure as the other top tier teams place on defenders wanting to crumb and clear the ball.

And once Goldsack tires, the forward line pressure drops away severely.

Elliott reminds me a little of the former undersized full forward for Hawthorn in the mid 2000s Mark Williams.

Essentially a 5’11” marking forward who could kick his bag of goals semi-regularly, Hawthorn wasn’t going to be a venomous forward line outfit until there was other forwards playing bigger roles.

Williams then had to improve his other defensive attributes to complement the team. He did and he became a premiership player as a third or fourth string forward.

Another noticeable area for concern is the Cloke and White duo.

White got too far away from Cloke last weekend. You can’t crowd each other, but you definitely can’t play in another postcode.

And when that happened, the extra Geelong defender predictably peeled off and constantly made a two on one against Cloke when inside the attacking 25m range.

When White went further adrift up-field and the ball came down to Collingwood’s forward line, Cloke led to bad positions — hard up on the boundary line 60m out.

I would think the answer is to have Goldsack and even Elliot lead up and outside the 60m range. Then White can range from 25m to 60m and Cloke stays deep.

On the other hand Richmond definitely has the talent and the goal-kicking potency, the problem is we just don’t know when during a game they’ll start trying.

It wasn’t in the first half last week against the Western Bulldogs. Tonight it needs to be from the opening bounce.

Both sides know it’s a long way back when your season starts 1-3.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/dermott-brereton-says-richmond-need-dustin-martin-to-rise-to-the-occasion-is-jamie-elliott-collingwoods-answer/story-fndv8t7m-1226880334448

tony_montana

Re: Richmond need Dustin Martin to rise to the occasion: Brereton (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #3393 on: April 11, 2014, 11:10:42 AM »
Put the guy in the guts. His contested possession average has dropped year on year from his first season where it was around 40% if I recall. His role has become too outside imo. He's a unit throw him in

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3394 on: April 11, 2014, 11:41:49 AM »
I'd much prefer to see blokes like thomas, arnot, jackson, even edwards, feeding it out to martin than the other way around
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3395 on: April 11, 2014, 12:17:30 PM »
I'd much prefer to see blokes like thomas, arnot, jackson, even edwards, feeding it out to martin than the other way around
I'd rather see Dusty win it himself, don't argue pricks and kick the goal. Less feeding more destruction.  ;D

the claw

« Reply #3396 on: April 11, 2014, 12:24:47 PM »
reckon dermott hits the nail on the head.
so far this yr he is well down on disposals, laid just 5 tackles and his c/p to u/p ratio is just too lopsided. and hes not doing a lot of the little things like blocks and shepherds etc for team mates.
disposals aside you could level these things at dusty all of his career to date.how much of a better player would dusty be if he could just round his game of a bit more.

had to chuckle on some of the elliot comments when he said

i cant get my head around the thought that a screamer here or there will compensate for inadequacies in the other facets. replace the word screamer with goal and he could be talking about vickery.

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3397 on: April 11, 2014, 12:53:37 PM »
reckon dermott hits the nail on the head.
so far this yr he is well down on disposals, laid just 5 tackles and his c/p to u/p ratio is just too lopsided. and hes not doing a lot of the little things like blocks and shepherds etc for team mates.
disposals aside you could level these things at dusty all of his career to date.how much of a better player would dusty be if he could just round his game of a bit more.

had to chuckle on some of the elliot comments when he said

i cant get my head around the thought that a screamer here or there will compensate for inadequacies in the other facets. replace the word screamer with goal and he could be talking about vickery.
Agree, dusty has never laid a block or shepherd for a mate. He used to be an absolute beast on the inside. We needed to get his outside game up and running too but it's gone too far the other way.

We look like we need to draft some inside mids but we have Cotchin/Martin/Flossy/Conca. Only 1.5 are actually playing as one. Conca I counted as a half as he sometimes plays there.

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3398 on: April 11, 2014, 12:59:11 PM »
pretty sure that in the whole scheme of things, a goal has a ship load more value than a screamer.

tony_montana

« Reply #3399 on: April 11, 2014, 01:12:02 PM »
I'd rather see Dusty win it himself, don't argue pricks and kick the goal. Less feeding more destruction.  ;D

yep  ;D He could be a classic inside oputside beast like Judd circa WCE days

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3400 on: April 11, 2014, 01:36:01 PM »
pretty sure that in the whole scheme of things, a goal has a ship load more value than a screamer.
Not to us gen Y folk with our short attention spans. Give me a speccy any day.  :lol

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3401 on: April 11, 2014, 02:08:26 PM »

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #3402 on: April 11, 2014, 02:16:02 PM »
Dermo is spot on with this one. When Dusty has ball in hand he is absolutely unstoppable. When a team mate is under pressure or the opposition has it he really needs to do more.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3403 on: April 11, 2014, 02:42:51 PM »

Less feeding more destruction.  ;D

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019.2020
« Reply #3404 on: April 11, 2014, 03:38:17 PM »
I agree with dermie on this.

There are too many sissy's in our team.

Too many softies & sooks.

But that what happens to tough players recruited to Richmond now, unfortunately for us and new recruits are programmed for failure, mediocrity and limpwristedness.
The club that keeps giving.