Author Topic: Dustin Martin [merged]  (Read 1053734 times)

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Dustin Martin [merged]
« Reply #7050 on: July 16, 2024, 07:42:32 AM »
That he’s going to the suns? Yeah I think you’d have to be living on mars not to have heard that one.

He might be. Maybe he prefers Sydney.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline Simonator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7051 on: July 16, 2024, 07:58:24 AM »
If you were a team looking at dusty, what exactly is attractive atm ?

Last year he had a good year, verging on AA.

This year has been a massive drop off. Has only impacted 1 or 2 games, is obviously spent.
Will his camp say he just needs a fresh start and he will regain some form ?

Massive risk imo and a risk for Dusty’s legacy, albeit he probably doesn’t give a stuff and power to him.

I sort of think of what happened to lids… went onto another club and couldn’t get fit. Didn’t plant many games and got forgotten about

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7052 on: July 16, 2024, 10:52:59 AM »
If you were a team looking at dusty, what exactly is attractive atm ?

Last year he had a good year, verging on AA.

This year has been a massive drop off. Has only impacted 1 or 2 games, is obviously spent.
Will his camp say he just needs a fresh start and he will regain some form ?

Massive risk imo and a risk for Dusty’s legacy, albeit he probably doesn’t give a stuff and power to him.

I sort of think of what happened to lids… went onto another club and couldn’t get fit. Didn’t plant many games and got forgotten about

If I was trying to sell him I'd say he's lost motivation and Richmond, needs a fresh start, we're focused on keeping him injury free to preserve his value.

He bring huge marketing value and will pay for his contract in that aspect alone.

Who would say no? Haha

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #7053 on: July 16, 2024, 06:40:03 PM »
Dustys legacy is at absolutely no risk at all. Zero. He has achieved all there is to achieve both in terms or individual and team success and will be a Richmond and AFL Hall of Famer.

In 5 years time, no one will give a stuff or remember what the last 2-3 seasons of his career looked like.

Online Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #7054 on: July 17, 2024, 01:13:42 AM »
Dustys legacy is at absolutely no risk at all. Zero. He has achieved all there is to achieve both in terms or individual and team success and will be a Richmond and AFL Hall of Famer.

In 5 years time, no one will give a stuff or remember what the last 2-3 seasons of his career looked like.

agree

Wayne Carey says hello

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #7055 on: July 18, 2024, 06:20:28 PM »
Mitch Cleary on Ch7 news said Dusty was in NZ last weekend visiting family

Got back into Melbourne on Tuesday
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #7056 on: July 19, 2024, 06:04:01 PM »
From Barrett's Sliding Doors column:

IF ...
two weeks ago I feared we may not see Dusty again in a Richmond guernsey ...

THEN ...
nothing has changed. There were seven matches left back then. Now only five. Tick, tick, tick.

Source: AFL website.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #7057 on: July 19, 2024, 06:07:13 PM »
CORNES SLAMS DUSTY-RICHMOND “CIRCUS” - IS ADEM YZE TOO SOFT ON HIS PLAYERS?

Nic Negrepontis
SEN
19 July 2024

Kane Cornes has called out Dustin Martin and Richmond, wondering whether the club has gone soft on the veteran superstar.

Martin has flown to New Zealand for family reasons this week, not giving himself ideal time to recover from a back niggle that has held him out of the side for three weeks now.

Cornes labelled the situation a “circus”, questioning Martin’s investment in the side.

“What are they doing with Dustin Martin? How are they allowing this circus to go on and not speak openly and honestly about where he sits, whether he’ll ever play again for Richmond?” he told SEN Breakfast.

“What does the future hold? Is he motivated to play? Why is he in New Zealand mid-week visiting family? Is there a reason for him to do that?

“Why isn’t he at the club? Why isn’t he trying to prove his fitness and play? There’s so many questions. I could go on and on and on.

“Why are Richmond treating him as softly as what they are, and do we need more information about it?”

David King agrees, wondering why Martin isn’t doing everything he can to work his way back from the back niggle holding him out of the side.

“It’s the tail wagging the dog,” King said.

“I understand he’s a Hall of Famer. I understand he’s done so much for the footy club, but you just can’t separate him like this at the end. You’ve go to hold every player accountable from one to the next.

“It’s a fascination and Adem Yze spoke yesterday about his back still being a little bit grumbly, but he’s on planes.”

Cornes called out Richmond coach Yze for not having a firmer grasp on the situation.

“(Martin’s) playing golf and he’s on planes,” Cornes said.

“At some point, Yze is going to have to have a hard edge. You can’t be dictated to by your players. You can’t be best friends with your players and you can’t please everyone.

“The best coaches have a hard edge and at the moment I think he’s being too soft on Dustin.

“The further discussion to this is – is it the right thing for Gold Coast to recruit Dustin Martin next year? I would say a firm no if this is what’s going to go on at Gold Coast what’s gone on at Richmond this year.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2024/07/19/cornes-slams-dusty-richmond-circus-is-adem-yze-too-soft-on-his-players/

Online pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7058 on: July 19, 2024, 06:39:45 PM »
Kane is on the money here.  Your on mega bucks and signed on to play.  Feel like he's been taking the pee all year. 

Online camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7059 on: July 19, 2024, 06:55:19 PM »
Image if he just has an injury , I don’t know if something else is going on but if the club says he is injured why wouldn’t you believe , what the chances that anyone at Richmond would inform an enemy like skeleton man

Offline Buddysucks

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #7060 on: July 19, 2024, 09:50:38 PM »
He’s been ruled out with a back ‘niggle’ for weeks, before that he was ‘managed’ and couldn’t fly 60 minutes to Adelaide to play a game. But, he’s good for a 3 hour international flight to NZ.
The club and Dusty is taking the pee!

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #7061 on: July 19, 2024, 11:37:15 PM »
I think Dusty wanted to give it away at the start of the year and we came to an agreement to get him through the year as best we can. Yze even said our job is to make Dusty happy. I feel that may have been told to him in exact words. Make Dusty happy, get him through the year and get him his 300th.

The alternative is to do a Hardwick and leave with a year to go on contract and no doubt the club would have chose to pay it out as a act of good will / gratitude for Dusty. As we did for Hardwick and as Hawks did for Clarkson. It still would have counted in our cap anyway.

So we are limping to the line getting him through to end of contract. I think there is a reality where we and no club offers Dusty a contract at all. He's 33 and is copping injuries, he wouldn't play for peanuts either.
Go Tigers!

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7062 on: July 20, 2024, 07:42:33 AM »
Cornwit has been and always will be a stuffwit

Why anyone pays any attention to the poo that comes out of his mouth beggars me

Online Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #7063 on: July 20, 2024, 09:02:12 AM »
Cornwit has been and always will be a stuffwit

Why anyone pays any attention to the poo that comes out of his mouth beggars me

Has been and always will be a stuffwit is correct

However a broken clock is right twice a day

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7064 on: July 20, 2024, 09:49:21 AM »
Cornes is correct.

$1.2mil back niggle on holidays