Author Topic: Dustin Martin [merged]  (Read 849794 times)

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
Re: Dustin Martin [merged]
« Reply #195 on: November 30, 2009, 04:20:46 PM »
2nd tier mids:

Connors
Polo
White
Edwards
Thomson
Hislop
Gilligan

if one or two or those can come good (Connors  :pray :pray) it'll help alot

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #196 on: December 02, 2009, 12:02:42 AM »
Too many ifs on most of those 2nd tier mids. Cuz and Tucky aren't long-term options either in the 1st tier category. Tucky isn't a 1st tier mid but due to our lack of depth he was played as one. If Griffiths and Astbury can show enough to suggest they'll be long-term tall prospects I would say we will target another gun mid with our first pick in next year's draft.

1st tier: Lids, Cotch, Martin, 2010 pick 4?

2nd tier: Foley, Collins, Blingers

3rd tier: Jacko, Connors, etc ....

Our midfield is slowly getting there and they'll all have their best years ahead of them together.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #197 on: December 02, 2009, 12:07:29 AM »
But when he was asked several times to lift his shirt by Channel Seven's Leith Mulligan a media minder stepped in, conscious of the club's image.A heated exchanged followed, with both sides unwilling to back down.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/uproar-over-tiger-dustin-martins-tattoo/story-e6frf9jf-1225805121728

So let me get this straight the question was asked by someone from Channel 7 not Channel 9 but Nine created a story out of nothing and Channel 7 just didn't bother with it...

Says it all really
At least the media will think twice about asking Dusty about his tatt again lol. Judith shouldn't have sworn but she was too smart for the journos. She knew the journos were trying to link Martin to Cuz as the next bad boy.

Online torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #198 on: December 02, 2009, 12:16:09 AM »
Too many ifs on most of those 2nd tier mids. Cuz and Tucky aren't long-term options either in the 1st tier category. Tucky isn't a 1st tier mid but due to our lack of depth he was played as one. If Griffiths and Astbury can show enough to suggest they'll be long-term tall prospects I would say we will target another gun mid with our first pick in next year's draft.

Our midfield is slowly getting there and they'll all have their best years ahead of them together.

Pick 4 MT? you think we are going to finish with The Wooden Spoon?

:)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #199 on: December 02, 2009, 01:23:12 AM »

I would say we'll be close to favourites given we'll have such a young and inexperienced side. We may surprise in the first month with everyone fit and fresh but over a long season young bodies get tired and sore and if we get a couple of key injuries I can't see us finishing outside the bottom 3. Not necessarily a bad thing long-term as it will at least enable us to stockpile some talented kids. Supporters will need to hang in for another couple of years before seeing this current young group mature and rise up the ladder.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 01:44:10 AM by mightytiges »

Online torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #200 on: December 02, 2009, 01:38:13 AM »

I would say we'll be close to favourites given we'll have such a young and inexperienced side. We may surprise in the first month with everyone fit and fresh but over a long season young bodies get tired and sore and if we get a couple of key injuries I can't see us finishing outside the bottom 3. Not necessarily a bad thing long-term as it will at least enable up to stockpile some talented kids. Supporters will need to hang in for another couple of years before seeing this current young group mature and rise up the ladder.

fair enough MT, i think we will win more matches then this year, simply because who we are playing.

however, where do you think we will finish? (your final position prediction?)

and what draft picks would we get in "The 2010 AFL Draft".

i do expect pain in 2010.

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #201 on: December 02, 2009, 01:38:45 AM »

as it will at least enable up to stockpile some talented kids.

Will there be any left after the GC17 pillage next year MT??
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #202 on: December 02, 2009, 02:44:06 AM »

I would say we'll be close to favourites given we'll have such a young and inexperienced side. We may surprise in the first month with everyone fit and fresh but over a long season young bodies get tired and sore and if we get a couple of key injuries I can't see us finishing outside the bottom 3. Not necessarily a bad thing long-term as it will at least enable up to stockpile some talented kids. Supporters will need to hang in for another couple of years before seeing this current young group mature and rise up the ladder.

fair enough MT, i think we will win more matches then this year, simply because who we are playing.

Well the wooden spooner ends up with picks 4, 27, 44, 61, 78, etc... Trade a player (to GC17) for another decent pick and it's not too dissimilar to a "normal" draft for a bottom club. Sure GC17 will be getting most of the top 15 kids as WAT says and there's no proriety picks available but compared to most of the existing clubs we'll be far better off in terms of picks. This year's draft was meant to be all gloom and doom but IMO it was still a decent draft. The worst thing we can do next year is finish 9th-11th and end up with our first pick in the mid-teens.

Ramps

« Reply #203 on: December 02, 2009, 05:26:00 AM »

Well the wooden spooner ends up with picks 4, 27, 44, 61, 78, etc... Trade a player (to GC17) for another decent pick and it's not too dissimilar to a "normal" draft for a bottom club. Sure GC17 will be getting most of the top 15 kids as WAT says and there's no proriety picks available but compared to most of the existing clubs we'll be far better off in terms of picks. This year's draft was meant to be all gloom and doom but IMO it was still a decent draft. The worst thing we can do next year is finish 9th-11th and end up with our first pick in the mid-teens.

Luke McGuane is the only one weve got that Gold Coast may be interested in and he should be offered up for trade. What would McGuane get us?

jackstar is back again

« Reply #204 on: December 02, 2009, 06:20:01 AM »
2nd tier mids:

Connors
Polo
White
Edwards
Thomson
Hislop
Gilligan

You do live in hope dont you ?
Edwards is the only one on that list that would get a game another club.
Connors ::) his aspirations are greater than his ability

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #205 on: December 02, 2009, 09:05:26 AM »
2nd tier mids:

Connors
Polo
White
Edwards
Thomson
Hislop
Gilligan

You do live in hope dont you ?
Edwards is the only one on that list that would get a game another club.
Connors ::) his aspirations are greater than his ability

Edwards wont make it as a footballer Jack as long as he continues to be played in the back half. Push him forward FFS. Polo ditto

the rest are for the tip and wouldnt get a game with the collingwood reserves team
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #206 on: December 02, 2009, 01:11:25 PM »

Bit much to put Cotchin & Martin as 1st tier mids and put Foley who was a standout for Victoria and played injured all of 2009 as a 2nd tier.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #207 on: December 02, 2009, 06:05:07 PM »
Martin a brilliant ray of sunshine
richmondfc.com.au
By Tony Greenberg | Wed 02 December, 2009

From the time former AFL player Jamie Elliott, in his then capacity as coach of Bendigo League club Castlemaine, first saw Dustin Martin strut his stuff on the football field, he knew the teenager had exceptional playing ability.

Elliott, who played 58 games of league football for Fitzroy, Richmond and St Kilda in a career spanning six seasons (1991-96), was in his first year as Castlemaine’s coach, in 2008, when a then 16-year-old Martin came under his coaching direction.

Castlemaine struggled in the ’08 season, winning only five of its 16 games, but it had a real shining light in Martin, who last week was taken by Richmond with its first selection (pick No. 3 overall) in the 2009 AFL National Draft.

Despite missing the last two games of the season, when he was called up by TAC Cup team, the Bendigo Pioneers, Martin won Castlemaine’s leading goalkicker award, with 22 goals.  Interestingly, 11 of those goals came in Martin’s final two games with the club - against Kyneton and eventual grand finalist Golden Square.  And, not surprisingly, Martin was a runaway winner of the competition’s rising star award that year.

“As a club we felt we needed to be pushing the kid to be where he should be, because you knew at that early stage he was pretty special, but he was too young to be drafted in 2008,” Elliott told the “Bendigo Advertiser”.

“He’s just a powerful, powerful kid; I used to do one-on-ones with him as a 16-year-old and he would just push me off the ball.

“I thought he could have played senior AFL football this year as a 17-year-old, no doubt.

“I’ve never seen a kid run into a pack of six or seven men and come out backwards with the ball . . . it’s not as though he was running through the pack, he would run in like a bull, grab the footy and run out backwards.

“There’s no doubt he’s the best kid I’ve seen play at that age; he’s just a phenomenal talent.”

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/6301/newsid/87764/default.aspx

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #208 on: January 29, 2010, 03:09:56 PM »
I know Kevin Sheehan pumps up the tyres of all the new draftees but here is what he said about Dusty....

Dustin Martin looks a rising star. He's a magnificent kick. He wins his own ball, he has a powerful body, he is no frills and is straight at it. I'll be surprised if he doesn't start straight away and he'll excite the Tiger fans, no doubt.

http://www.afl.com.au/dreamteam/kevinsheehanlivechat/tabid/15698/default.aspx

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #209 on: January 30, 2010, 02:15:42 PM »

Bit much to put Cotchin & Martin as 1st tier mids and put Foley who was a standout for Victoria and played injured all of 2009 as a 2nd tier.

I thought Foley fell away after his Vic game in 2008 and has been nowhere near his early 2008 form since. An injury plagued year for Axel and an injury free year for Cotch as well as a the descriptions were right on Martin and Foley could go even further down the pecking order. I even think Cousins is well ahead of him too.