Author Topic: Dustin Martin [merged]  (Read 849886 times)

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Dustin Martin [merged]
« Reply #225 on: February 06, 2010, 11:32:58 PM »
Looking at that he's going to have a problem of being too big as opposed to too slight.
Massive unit.

the claw

« Reply #226 on: February 07, 2010, 12:46:33 PM »
or it could go the other way people. morabito is about 5cm taller 5 kg heavier a little more streamlined and in time will be capable of doing what goodes does for sydney or even pavlich  his teammate. that is play kp if need be.
i still maintain the greatest upside of any of the top 4 taken this yr is morabito.
i have no doubt he will play rnd one this yr as well.
from what i can see both will be very good players but it would be a bummer if morabito makes it and martin doesnt.

in fact freos midfield is taking shape quite nicely.hill palmer ibbotson morabito suban haselby it sort of goes to show its not just about improving your list but doing better than everyone else we forget all clubs keep on improving.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #227 on: February 07, 2010, 01:30:27 PM »
or it could go the other way people. morabito is about 5cm taller 5 kg heavier a little more streamlined and in time will be capable of doing what goodes does for sydney or even pavlich  his teammate. that is play kp if need be.
i still maintain the greatest upside of any of the top 4 taken this yr is morabito.
from what i can see both will be very good players but it would be a bummer if morabito makes it and martin doesnt.

in fact freos midfield is taking shape quite nicely.hill palmer ibbotson morabito suban haselby it sort of goes to show its not just about improving your list but doing better than everyone else we forget all clubs keep on improving.

Morabito might end up being the next Adam Goodes but he might end up being the next Des Headland.  As far as risk for return goes, Martin, Scully and Trengove are a lot safer investment - that's why he didn't go until #4 (and might have even been later if Freo had a later pick).  We couldn't afford to take risks with our early pick.

And as for midfields taking shape - ignoring Haselby and Cousins who will both be gone in 2 seasons, I'll back Deledio, Tambling, Cotchin, Martin, Foley, Jackson and Collins against them any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

the claw

« Reply #228 on: February 07, 2010, 02:50:31 PM »

Morabito might end up being the next Adam Goodes but he might end up being the next Des Headland.  As far as risk for return goes, Martin, Scully and Trengove are a lot safer investment - that's why he didn't go until #4 (and might have even been later if Freo had a later pick).  We couldn't afford to take risks with our early pick.

And as for midfields taking shape - ignoring Haselby and Cousins who will both be gone in 2 seasons, I'll back Deledio, Tambling, Cotchin, Martin, Foley, Jackson and Collins against them any day of the week and twice on Sundays.
have to say im not having a go at martin in fact quite happy to have him. but if people think there was much between morabito martin scully and trengove they are kidding themselves.
he was the standout at u18s  played against men and done well also.  
performance against peers he stacks up better than any of them.  hes of a height and size that will enable him  to play both tall and midfield  thus has more versatility.
i have no doubt martins footskills got him taken at 3 instead of morabito. morabito was never going to slip lower than pick 4 and it would have come as no surprise to see him go higher.

hmm the two midfields in going forward as Hardwick  likes to say. i would  give it to our lot but there isnt a lot in it.

in deledio, cotchin (who has done nothing to date because of injury) and martin i think we have real quality and better ball users.
but with hill morabito and palmer they have a running brigade that could be awesome.palmers kicking is a worry though.add suban and ibbotson who i have no doubt will be good players their mid field moving forward is looking decent. without doubt they could do with a dustin martin type.
 atm they have far better structure forward especially if pavlich plays forward permanently and back with solid kpds in johnson grover mcpharlin and tarrant it could well be one of these 4 will play forward. and with sandilands a dominant ruckman.
with a massive  home ground advantage i think they may surprise a few this yr.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #229 on: February 07, 2010, 07:26:12 PM »
Massive blue by Freo to take Hill ahead of Rich though. In finals when the game is far more in tight and contested the difference will become more apparent. Rich was always a man-child while Hill is highly skillful but he has a very slight body which doesn't appear to be the type that will fill out.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #230 on: February 07, 2010, 11:04:37 PM »

and morabito kicking is like Leon Cameron

and he is a very good looking young man

:cheers

Con65

« Reply #231 on: February 07, 2010, 11:16:14 PM »
I just got back tonight from a week over in wa....Hill has put on about 5 or 6 kgs...he will play this year between 75 and 78 kg.

They have a special player in Hill....as for Rich...a few other clubs also passed on him before he got to Brissy....Hill was probably seen as having more upside than Rich...but IMHO if you got 10 years of Rich's form from last  year you would be happy...:)

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #232 on: February 08, 2010, 08:03:43 AM »
and morabito kicking is like Leon Cameron

Good jokes?
EAT EM ALIVE!

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #233 on: February 10, 2010, 01:13:54 AM »
Richmond's Dustin Martin gets his go
* Jon Ralph
 * Herald Sun
 * February 10, 2010

RICHMOND's No. 3 draft pick Dustin Martin is considered certain play against Hawthorn on Saturday, with forward Troy Taylor also in the mix.

The new-look Tigers kick off their NAB Cup campaign in Launceston, but despite 14 new names at the club, only a handful of players will debut.

Ben Cousins is unlikely to play, and Troy Simmonds, Daniel Jackson and Nathan Foley are already ruled out as they manage injuries.

But, besides that quartet, new coach Damien Hardwick will pick the side on merit.

Taylor has a preliminary court hearing on February 18 for his assault charge, so the club will not make a decision on his short-term future until then.

St Kilda's Andrew Lovett has been suspended by his club while awaiting a police investigation into a potential rape charge.

Though the Tigers have not suspended Taylor, the AFL has been kept abreast of their management of the first-year tall.

Martin's impressive pre-season and intra-club form will see him rewarded, with recent draftee David Astbury also some chance to play.

Trent Cotchin will play after a managed pre-season, while rookie Graham Polak is likely to be given another chance to impress with a senior-listed spot up for grabs.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/richmonds-dustin-martin-gets-his-go/story-e6frf9jf-1225828494176

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #234 on: February 13, 2010, 10:50:45 PM »
Despite the flogging I think we can safely say we got it right taking Martin at pick 3.

First game and he's our top possession winner - 11 kicks (8 effective), 15 handballs, 5 marks, 5 tackles and also had our most inside 50s with 7 and 3 rebounds out of defensive 50. Going to be a special player if he keeps that up most weeks.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #235 on: February 13, 2010, 11:19:38 PM »
Will be top 2 in the rising star this year as a minimum.

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #236 on: February 14, 2010, 12:28:56 AM »
It amazing how everyone thinks they can predict the future when tipping the draft..

John Butcher this Moribitto this.

Martin was clearly the best.

Just hope he grows into a very very good servant of the club. Excpectations are through the roof it's ridiculous.
Go Tigers!

Offline taztiger4

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Shovelheads - Keeping hipsters off Harley's
« Reply #237 on: February 14, 2010, 12:31:40 AM »
Will be top 2 in the rising star this year as a minimum.

So was Andrew Raines !!!,

Great first up game by Slim though

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #238 on: February 14, 2010, 06:13:30 AM »
After last night Martin is back to equal favouritism with Naitanui for the Rising Star award

https://www.sportsbet.com.au/sports/event/SportID/4/CompetitionPID/22727/RoundPID/433/EventID/1068255

TigerTimeII

« Reply #239 on: February 14, 2010, 09:19:43 AM »
this yr will be a long hard one again

but watching mrtin play will be worth it and mak eth eyr a better one

for once we picked the right player.. about effing time

its gonna be great seeing cuz, martin deledio  and cotchas our main 4 in the middle
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 10:06:58 AM by TigerTimeII »