Author Topic: Dustin Martin [merged]  (Read 871956 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Dustin Martin [merged]
« Reply #570 on: April 27, 2011, 06:47:44 PM »
Caro, Healy and Russell are on 3aw now trying to think of former players that Dusty reminds them off. Caro mentioned Riccuito while a couple of callers said Leigh Matthews and Darren Millane.

Healy thought he was unique - a raw individual with polish; everyone knows he'll go the fend off but no one can stop it.

Dubstep Dookie

« Reply #571 on: April 27, 2011, 08:10:38 PM »
Go shovel some more gak into your nose Lyon.
effing dog rat!

Darn right! Effing powder carver....

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #572 on: April 27, 2011, 10:19:10 PM »
I'm glad they couldn't think of a comparison. Let Dusty make his own name and hopefully the media will be comparing others to him in time :thumbsup.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #573 on: April 28, 2011, 12:32:17 AM »
Tell us something we don't know Lyon.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #574 on: April 28, 2011, 01:19:17 AM »
Caro, Healy and Russell are on 3aw now trying to think of former players that Dusty reminds them off. Caro mentioned Riccuito while a couple of callers said Leigh Matthews and Darren Millane.

Healy thought he was unique - a raw individual with polish; everyone knows he'll go the fend off but no one can stop it.

not dissimilar to riccuito. 

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
« Reply #575 on: April 28, 2011, 03:13:32 AM »
Lets just hope that Dustin can keep his head with all this adulation and the expectation that this brings with it, this will be his biggest mental test to date. Club really needs to support him and help him through this period the same way they are handling Jack through it now.
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #576 on: April 28, 2011, 03:49:06 AM »
The media are on the Dusty bandwagon big time....

Richmond cub Dustin Martin's all-out attack on elite status

Mark Stevens
    April 28, 2011

RISING Richmond star Dustin Martin is challenging Hawthorn's Lance Franklin as the most devastating player in the AFL.

The statement is not opinion, but based on statistics from the first five weeks of the season.

Martin has had an involvement in 34.7 per cent of the Tigers' scores, behind only Franklin's 35.2 per cent strike-rate at Hawthorn.

Gary Ablett is third on the list with a 33.9 per cent contribution at the Gold Coast Suns, highlighting Martin's surge into the league's stratosphere.

Score involvement stats are the strongest indicator of a player's value.

And 19-year-old Martin's touches are turning to scoreboard gold.

He had a hand in 14 of Richmond's 27 scores in Sunday's nine-point victory against North Melbourne at Etihad Stadium.

Former Sydney coach Paul Roos, who witnessed Martin's heroics against North, said last night: "For a second-year player, it was a bloody good effort".

"He's outstanding. He was the most influential player on the ground, no doubt," Roos said.

"He kicked goals and he created them. He kept Richmond in the game and then they were able to get a run on."

Former Melbourne champion Garry Lyon lavished Martin with praise, likening him to Geelong superstar Joel Selwood.

"He's a big boy. A big strong body. He's got everything you want in a footy player. He's got a warrior-type competitive mentality," Lyon told Triple M.

"He does all that sort of stuff, then chuck the poise and classy finishing on top of it.

"He is going to get to Selwood category. I can't give him too much greater praise."

Martin, the No.3 pick in the 2009 draft behind Melbourne pair Tom Scully and Jack Trengove, has kicked nine goals from five matches as a midfielder pushing forward.

Martin has been involved in 41 of 118 Richmond scoring shots this year - eight more than any other Tiger.

Champion Data senior analyst Glenn Luff described the definition of a "score involvement": "It is the number of times a player has a disposal, hitout or knock-on in an unbroken chain that results in a score."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/richmond-cub-dustin-martins-all-out-attack-on-elite-status/story-e6frf9jf-1226045887508

Offline RollsRoyce

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #577 on: April 28, 2011, 08:19:55 AM »
Yet despite 33 touches, 4 goals, all this praise from the media and being touted by some as the single most influential player right across the competition last weekend, he inexplicably didn't win a Rising Star nomination. Surely he's still eligible? Anti-Richmond bias??

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #578 on: April 28, 2011, 08:41:01 AM »
Too many games to get a Rising Star nomination. Had to have played less than 10 games last season.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #579 on: April 28, 2011, 08:48:45 AM »
the only thing i care about dustin martin winning is a couple of premiership medallions - as long as it is in tiger colors
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #580 on: April 28, 2011, 09:53:39 AM »
the only thing i care about dustin martin winning is a couple of premiership medallions - as long as it is in tiger colors

Spot on Al.  :thumbsup

Offline Eat_em_Alive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #581 on: April 28, 2011, 10:25:36 AM »

Dead right, plus a brownlow  :o
The anywhere, anytime Tigers.
E A T  E M  A L I V E  M O F O S

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #582 on: April 28, 2011, 10:58:49 AM »
he inexplicably didn't win a Rising Star nomination. Surely he's still eligible? Anti-Richmond bias??

Anti Richmond bias  :lol :lol you've got to be joking

Can't get a nomination in 2011 because he is no longer eligible  :thumbsup
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #583 on: April 28, 2011, 01:34:58 PM »
Yep once you've played more than 10 AFL games prior to a season you become ineligible for the Rising Star. Still he would won it last year if it wasn't for a soft technical report  :scream.

The guy from Champion Data is on SEN now and said Martin isn't far off Judd in terms of the various stats they look at. So they are calling Dusty elite at 19. 

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #584 on: April 28, 2011, 03:35:49 PM »
The Club is auctioning Martin's jumper he wore in round 5

https://secure.auctiondesq.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=item&auctionid=24696&orgid=1751

Current bid is $720