Author Topic: Dustin Martin [merged]  (Read 871962 times)

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Dustin Martin [merged]
« Reply #840 on: April 02, 2012, 11:27:46 AM »
Our midfielders in general don't run hard enough into defensive positions.  That's one of the reasons why our defenders get caught out.  We typically never have that extra get-out option.  Too many of our mids are running three quarter pace when the opposition are streaming forwards with the ball.

So true, so very very true
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #841 on: April 02, 2012, 12:04:00 PM »
Robbo hasn't said anything that hasnt been discussed here. Does the truth hurt us that much or is it a case we're the only ones allowed to be critical ?

We had the momentum when Dusty lined up for that goal, it needed to be kicked, good players nail them. It was a massive miss for us in the context of the game; fact. To say he was "spent" as he took the kick is a pretty poor excuse

Being spent has lots to do with it.... Disco roach was on send lazy week discussing this.... Saying Richie and nick riewoldt missed many goals due to the fact they ran themselves to the ground... Fatigue does effect your kicking... Rich said he was so good of a kick because Royce hart helped him but more important he never kicked.tired... You all seem to forget how hard Martin ran prior to that kick ... He ain't superman

nick riewoldt if fragile mentally. all players have to overcome the fatigue factor when kicking. the good ones overcome it.

The main critisim is not just that one poor kick, but martins lack of intensity when chasing and tackling. for someone who is so strong he tackles like a timid child.

if tackled with the intensity that nahas does he would lay some serious hurt and have players second guessing, but as it is i  doubt too many players would be afraid to take martin on when they have the ball. the smaller players easily avoid him and the stronger ones brush him aside.

for him to become the truly great player he has the potential to, he needs to change his mindset when we don't have the ball.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #842 on: April 07, 2012, 05:05:11 AM »
Paul Roos says Richmond must tighten defence to defeat Collingwood

Paul Roos
    April 07, 2012

COLLINGWOOD or Richmond will be winless after tonight's game and will start to come under scrutiny.

The Magpies are harder to judge because they have had an inconsistent lead-up to the season and have many players out of the team.

The Tigers, on the other hand, have had a perfect pre-season preparation and were disappointing against the Blues last week.

The Tigers will certainly improve, yet they still have significant flaws that were exposed by the Blues last week. Their talent does not run particularly deep, and their bottom five or six players are still young and developing.

Richmond's coaching staff will be acutely aware of their weaknesses and will address them each week.

A couple of damning flaws from Round 1 were that Richmond finished with 18 fewer inside-50s than Carlton, and were well beaten at the stoppages after quarter-time.

One of the most significant problems Richmond needs to overcome is a stronger commitment to defensive transition when the game starts to slip out of its grasp.

The Tigers have some great offensive midfielders who can cut teams up, but the query remains over whether they can shut down their direct opponents.

Dustin Martin, one of the competition's best young players, continually wins contested footy and often turns games single-handedly. Unquestionably, he is an amazing talent. But he has one glaring flaw in his game. If he is not winning the ball, he has little awareness of his opponent.

It is unfair to hang out a young player to dry over one incident, but his half-hearted chase on Chris Yarran was there for all to see. To be a complete footballer, he must develop a stronger commitment to the defensive side of his game.

Martin is not alone; it is common for young players coming into AFL football. They are mostly talented, great ball winners who have concentrated purely on the offensive aspect of their game as juniors.

Martin can learn, and tonight's match at the MCG is a tremendous opportunity to further his football education by assigning him a run-with role on one of the competition's top three midfielders - Scott Pendlebury.

Taking on such a challenge would do him and the Tigers the world of good and fast-track both his and the team's development.

Clearly Martin is not going to be a run-with player throughout his career. But if he is capable of doing so at stages, it will give him and the Tigers coaching staff considerable confidence.

It would be a fascinating duel to watch, as in many ways they are similar players. Both have a great mix of an inside and outside game.

Martin could go one-on-one at stoppages and win his share; he also has the speed and endurance to match Pendlebury on the open expanses of the MCG.

If Pendlebury goes forward, Martin should go with him. Martin is a decent height for a midfielder at 187cm, only marginally shorter than the Magpie. He is good overhead and uses his body well in man-on-man marking contests.

For Tiger fans who are used to seeing Martin dominate, the assignment would not be about one game - it would be about the bigger picture and how the Tigers can develop a team capable of winning a premiership.

If Martin could keep Pendlebury to five possessions a quarter, he would have done well; if the game ended with 15 possessions apiece, it would be a massive win for Richmond.

Another player whose role is worth reviewing is Brett Deledio.

The dilemma for coach Damien Hardwick is whether Deledio can develop into an elite midfielder or best serve the team rebounding off halfback.

Richmond's ball use out of its backline can be horrible, and only Deledio and skipper Chris Newman seem capable of delivering any consistent supply to players upfield.

Unlike Martin, Deledio has a strong defensive ethic and has done some exceptional shut-down jobs on elite footballers. The coaching staff trusts him to perform a run-with role or as a terrific rebounding defender.

Can he join Martin as a genuine midfielder who can dominate and turn games through his own actions?

Deledio turns 25 this month, putting him in his prime, and I'm sure Tigers fans would like to see him dominate stoppages and kick crucial game-breaking goals.

I believe he has the capacity to consistently get hold of the ball forward of centre and be recognised as a feared midfield general, such as Gary Ablett, Chris Judd, Dane Swan or Pendlebury.

The Tigers' most well-rounded player is Trent Cotchin. He is a coach's dream, a combination of both Martin and Deledio, and has a commitment to defence and an ability to win the game off his own boot.

The Tigers' coaching staff has done an outstanding job with Cotchin.

He is capable of playing off halfback and shutting down a dangerous forward. He can perform a run-with role through the midfield, or he can completely dominate a game as an offensive player.

In Round 1 he had 27 disposals, including 11 contested possessions, eight tackles, seven clearances and two goals. He is a star.

If Hardwick can develop Martin and Deledio as well-rounded midfielders such as Cotchin, it will help set the Tigers on the path towards the top half of the ladder.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/paul-roos-says-richmond-must-tighten-defence-to-defeat-collingwood/story-fnctrk3q-1226320756688

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #843 on: April 07, 2012, 07:38:51 AM »
That a fair wrap on Lids comparing him to a Judd, Ablett etc.

It's an interesting proposition - 3 of the best mids in the comp with the right development is my take on that article.

That beats Carlton in R1 2013.
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #844 on: April 07, 2012, 11:53:44 AM »
That a fair wrap on Lids comparing him to a Judd, Ablett etc.

It's an interesting proposition - 3 of the best mids in the comp with the right development is my take on that article.

That beats Carlton in R1 2013.

The filth still have more than 3 of the best mids and their lower tier players have more of an impact than ours. Until we get more from our other mids and lower tier players and kids like Ellis, Conca, Batchelor, Helbig etc impact the game more thus forcing blokes like Jako Edwards Tuck etc on the outer permanently we will struggle.

Effort can get you somewhere but quality can take you further. Turn the effort into quality and then we can start talking about realistically beating teams like Hawthorn, filth, scums etc.

Online Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #845 on: April 07, 2012, 01:01:41 PM »
Our midfield needs to click. When it does. It will be very good. Throw a developing Concs in there too.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #846 on: April 15, 2012, 09:58:01 AM »
Still not at his best but better from Dusty yesterday after a quiet-ish first two rounds. Hopefully that burst out of the middle and long bomb is a sign of things to come   :bow.

I did love the timing of the don't argue he gave Tom McDonald right right in front of the MCC members. The poor Dees fans there would've been crying into their red and blue tartan blankets on what could have been  ;D.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #847 on: April 16, 2012, 05:07:26 AM »
Here's the vision of Dusty's 'don't argue' from Saturday's win...

http://bigpondvideo.com/RichmondTV/440087/Dusty%20dont%20argue/

Tigermonk

« Reply #848 on: April 16, 2012, 08:49:12 AM »
this lad has some incrediable leg power. kicks 60 metres with a bent leg.  :thumbsup

Offline Danog

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #849 on: April 16, 2012, 09:07:27 AM »
Watched the first half again last night.  Martin was bloody shocking!

Tigermonk

« Reply #850 on: April 16, 2012, 09:10:00 AM »
He played 10 times better than Trengrove thier hero or Watts happening haha

Ox

« Reply #851 on: April 16, 2012, 09:23:44 AM »
my fave boy but im not happy this year

Online Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #852 on: April 16, 2012, 02:51:38 PM »
He's warming up. Started to show glimpses in the second half that he is running into form. He will have a huge game soon. Hopefully this week.

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #853 on: April 16, 2012, 03:02:12 PM »
Maybe they pushed him too hard in the preseason, prehaps we should have had the Carlton approach with our midfielders instead of that game against GC where we played the lot of them....and he did only miss one game in the presseason didn't he??

He just hasn't picked up where he left off last year, I think he may have to shed a couple of kilo's more, instead of being so bulky, maybe streamlining him would speed him up a bit...just a thought.
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline JVT

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #854 on: April 16, 2012, 04:44:32 PM »
Maybe they pushed him too hard in the preseason, prehaps we should have had the Carlton approach with our midfielders instead of that game against GC where we played the lot of them....and he did only miss one game in the presseason didn't he??

He just hasn't picked up where he left off last year, I think he may have to shed a couple of kilo's more, instead of being so bulky, maybe streamlining him would speed him up a bit...just a thought.
I don't think speed is his issue, have a look at his burst from the middle in the 3rd.

Fitness on the other hand can be improved. Just think he is out of form at the moment, but oozes class when he gets going.  :cheers