Author Topic: Dustin Martin [merged]  (Read 875830 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
‘Expect conversation to be had’: Why Dusty may have one game left as Tiger as ‘big risk’ revealed

Ben Cotton
Fox Sports
August 30th, 2022

With Dustin Martin’s future at Richmond uncertain beyond this season, it’s possible this Thursday night could be the last time we see him in yellow and black.

Martin is set to return in the Tigers’ elimination final clash against Brisbane for his first match since Round 16 due to a serious hamstring injury. He’s played just eight games this year due to a combination of personal reasons and his hamstring setback.

It comes in a year where speculation has been rife that Martin could seek a trade away from Punt Road at season’s end despite him being contracted at Richmond until 2024 for a lucrative total of $2.6 million, with Sydney the club most linked to the triple Norm Smith medallist despite consistently downplaying its interest.

Speaking on Channel 9’s Footy Classified, journalist Damian Barrett says he expects conversations between Martin and club bosses about his future to ramp up when Richmond’s season ends.

“There is every chance if they were to lose this game (against Brisbane), the conversation we’ve long thought now would be had at the end of the year,” Barrett said.

“It was Peggy O’Neal, Brendan Gale and Damien Hardwick who flagged it publicly — more so than the media at that point of time — that this was a conversation to be parked.

“I still expect that conversation to be had, and it’s possible it is the last game he plays for the Tigers with two years of a deal to run.”

Essendon legend Matthew Lloyd believes the 31-year old is a “big risk” for rival clubs and questioned who the genuine suitors for him were.

And despite so much conjecture around Martin’s future, veteran journalist Caroline Wilson predicted he’ll remain at the Tigers given the difficulty in moving his big-money contract.

“Sydney vehemently deny they’re into him, GWS I don’t think would have the room. Gold Coast was the other club linked to Dustin Martin — they also vehemently deny they’re having a look at him,” she said.

“It’s a lot of money for a player of his age. If I’ve got money on it now, I reckon he stays at Richmond.”

Dual All-Australian Kane Cornes labelled Martin the “greatest finals player I’ve ever seen,” but said expectations need to be tempered around his performance this weekend after such a lengthy layoff.

Lloyd added: “I see him as just a pure forward — if he can kick a couple of goals, apply pressure — that’s all you can hope for from someone who’s missed so much footy.”

Martin has booted 302 goals from 268 AFL games since making his debut in 2010.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/teams/richmond-tigers/afl-news-2022-dustin-martin-future-last-game-for-richmond-tigers-against-brisbane-lions-trade-rumours-whispers-sydney-swans-gws-giants-gold-coast-suns/news-story/ede3865d868d06eb42de4eb17b243889

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Dustin Martin [merged]
« Reply #5896 on: August 30, 2022, 08:35:52 PM »
Apply pressure? Hasn't been dusty for years.

He's just there to sit in the pocket IMO and jag a few

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5897 on: August 30, 2022, 08:43:08 PM »
Put your coin on him kicking 4. 

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #5898 on: August 31, 2022, 09:28:57 AM »

The best pressure is scoreboard pressure  :)

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5899 on: August 31, 2022, 11:13:04 AM »

The best pressure is scoreboard pressure  :)

Yep

Also not really Dusty's job to chase. He's a burst player.

Guys like MRJ, Bolton, Cumberland can do that.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5900 on: August 31, 2022, 02:14:20 PM »
AFL LEGEND WARY OF RICHMOND'S “GIGANTIC DILEMMA” WITH DUSTY

By Vas Shipp
SEN
31 August 2022

AFL legend Leigh Matthews says the Tigers will be in a tricky predicament at the selection table when it comes to their biggest name player.

Triple Norm Smith medallist Dustin Martin is pushing to return to the senior side for the first time since Round 16 as Richmond heads north to take on the Lions in an Elimination Final on Thursday night.

Speaking to Sportsday, the four-time premiership coach explained the decision the club’s coaching and fitness staff will soon face.

“Dustin Martin is the biggest selection dilemma; I mean he hasn’t played for a couple of months,” Matthews said.

“The people inside the football club make the judgements. What are the proven capabilities of that player, but more importantly, judge their readiness to play this week.”

The 31-year-old first injured his hamstring in the Tigers Round 16 win over the Eagles and has faced continued setbacks on his road to recovery, appearing in just eight games for the yellow and black this season.

Martin also stepped away from the game in March to mourn the loss of his father.

“Dustin Martin I find really interesting; I don’t know how much he’s been doing behind the scenes … his full training session seems to have happened today or yesterday,” Matthews said.

“We know how good Dustin Martin has been, but to try and judge his readiness to be that player or anywhere near that player this week I think is a gigantic dilemma for the Richmond selection group.”

Labelled by many as the greatest finals player of all time, Martin has averaged 22 disposals, four clearances and just under two goals a game across his 15 finals.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2022/08/30/afl-legend-wary-of-dusty-gigantic-dilemma/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5901 on: August 31, 2022, 02:34:08 PM »
Tigers’ burning question: How much of a lift does Dusty give?

Although it’s yet to be officially confirmed, Dustin Martin is expected to return against the Lions for his first match since Round 16 due to a serious hamstring injury. We haven’t seen a lot of Martin this year, playing just eight games due to a combination of personal reasons and his hamstring setback. But he’s likely to return on the September stage he’s made his in recent years including winning three Norm Smith medals on the grandest stage of them all. He’s also really shined at the Gabba, kicking 10.0 straight from three finals at the venue, per Fantasy Freako, which includes his remarkable performance in the 2020 decider. So Martin’s return is timely as the Tigers and Lions add another chapter their finals rivalry of recent years.

Speaking on Fox Footy’s AFL 360, Tigers coach Damien Hardwick suggested Martin would “play a different role” if he was to make the final side.

“He will play predominantly forward. We know he’s played that role before and he’s quite capable,” he said. “Against Brisbane he’s had some really good games like that. What we do know is that players of Dustin’s ilk put themselves where they need to be. I’ve said this often as a coach, the very best players have got a great understanding of where to put themselves at the best of times.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-week-one-of-finals-2022-the-blowtorch-preview-analysis-fixture-fox-footy-commentators-every-clubs-burning-question/news-story/71b829ef669e5d848609a1d6e39da87e

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Dusty is IN (Dimma on 7news)
« Reply #5902 on: August 31, 2022, 04:26:37 PM »
Dimma up at the Gabba said Dusty is playing Thursday night  :thumbsup.

Source: 7news.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Dustin Martin [merged]
« Reply #5903 on: August 31, 2022, 09:58:48 PM »

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5904 on: August 31, 2022, 10:12:03 PM »
The full article:

Richmond star Dustin Martin appears to grope topless woman from behind in leaked video​

The AFL is investigating the footage, which appears to show Martin groping the woman, after it spread across the internet.

Richmond star Dustin Martin has been caught in leaked footage appearing to grope a topless woman from behind.

The AFL is investigating the footage, which appears to show Martin groping the woman, after it spread across the internet.

The video appears to show Martin reaching around from behind the woman and grabbing her breast as she sits on the lap of another gentleman.

It remains unclear exactly where the incident occurred, however the video appears to be from inside a strip club or bar.

The topless woman can be seen sitting on a man’s lap as Martin approaches and extends his arm around her torso, before he is seen walking away laughing.

“We have become aware of a video posted on social media. We are seeking further information,” an AFL spokesman said, according to the Herald Sun.

Richmond coach Damien Hardwick was questioned about the video on Wednesday afternoon but played a straight bat to questions.

“There’s just an old video of what looks like from 2017 of Dusty online on Twitter this afternoon, I think at a Richmond event. Are you aware of that, have you seen that video?” 7 News reporter Tom Browne asked.

“No,” Hardwick responded. “I’m not too sure.”

Martin rejoined his Richmond teammates and was named in the team for the first final which takes place in Brisbane on Thursday night.

Martin, despite his on field heroics, has a long list of off-field controversies that have plagued his career.

In 2012, he received a two week suspension from the club for missing a training session.

In 2013, he was caught running a red light, in 2014 he was fined after driving suspended, and in 2015 he was accused of making threats inside a Japanese restaurant in Melbourne.

Dusty has endured a tough past 12 months after his father Shane, 54, died at his Mt Maunganui home in New Zealand on December 17, 2021.

Shane died of cardiovascular disease with drugs and steroids in his system.

Subsequent post-mortem tests found Mr Martin had a 600g enlarged heart, about double the size of an average man’s heart.

News.com.au contacted Dustin Martin’s agent for comment.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/video-captures-dustin-martin-groping-topless-womans-breast/news-story/34463feb8b9ef882e6995be0cc3ea055

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5905 on: August 31, 2022, 10:12:18 PM »
And on Footy Classified Sam McClure again saying Dusty will be centre at trade time

Still going on that Dusty isn't in love with footy anymore and has become more gettable in the last month

Lyon said he should stay at Richmond

Caro agreed

Lloyd said no one will take on his contract with his injury history  :help

::)
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5906 on: August 31, 2022, 10:16:18 PM »
Never knew 4 indiscretions over 13 years, including 2 standard traffic infringements constituted ‘a long list of off-field controversies’.

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5907 on: August 31, 2022, 10:24:58 PM »
stuff the world is a sad place. Goes to a strip club what 4 years ago and its a big deal he touched a girls breasts.

let me tell you one thing if i was in his shoes i would have done the exactly same thing.

FO and play on. Someone out to get into our heads for tomorrow  :shh
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline JP Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5908 on: August 31, 2022, 11:09:27 PM »
Its awesome to see the lengths that some people go to trying to put us off our game.

Thanks for the video & thanks for showing your fear!  We knew it was there all along ... now we have proof!    :lol   
Once a Tiger, always a Tiger!  Loud, proud & dangerous!

Broadsword

« Reply #5909 on: September 01, 2022, 12:08:47 AM »
At this rate we will be outlawing the male erection right on schedule by 2035. After that, spontaneity by 2050; fun by 2060; and we will be living emotionless in the 2002 film Equilibrium by 2099, ready to usher in a new century of absolutely nothing. But, by God, will it be politically correct!