Author Topic: Dustin Martin [merged]  (Read 1084995 times)

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
Re: Dustin Martin - 300 games [merged]
« Reply #6855 on: June 11, 2024, 07:41:17 PM »
Had a fun round table chat at dinner tonight of favourite memories of Dustin.

The most common were

1. Watching draft footage of Vic Country game where he took the absolute pee out of Vic Country and cemented himself as a top 3 pick.

2. Jordy McMahon Goal the equivalent of the conceiving the 2nd coming.

3. A number of times early on in his career where he booted 5 goals from the midfield with a number of goals from 50m that went post high. Vs North and Lions come to mind.

4. The beginning of Dusty playing one out and kicking the match winning goal vs Swans in last round to make finals. Was 1 on 1 in forward 50 and he ran into loose ball and goaled. The day that the seed was planted to play him 1 out.

5. 2017 round 1 vs Carlton torping the ball 100m set the tone for the yeah of kamikaze blitzkrieg footy, which ended up winning us the flag.

6. The 50m kick to the goalsquare to Grigg in the 2017 final vs Cats.

7. 2017 Prelim. The goal in front of the Tiger Army. And Basil yelling... Dusty!    Dusty! ... Dussssssssstyyyyy!.

The 2017 Norm obviously. And "Yellow and Blaaaaaaccckk!"

3018 final vs Hawks and goal from row Z.

8. The don't argue to Stewart on the AFL members wing in 2019 final.

9. The push and shove to Danger after the wanker got a soft 50m before half time and tip toed for 30m to kick a goal from goal square. Dusty roughed him up at that center bounce, fired us up and steam rolled them after half time.

10. 2019 GF the unselfishness of passing to Marlon for his GF goal.

11. His last goal in 2019 with the tongue out celebration and jumper pull. Iconic.

11. 2020 check side from 50m boundary line set shot. Can't remember who it was against. Maybe GC. BT went nuts.

12. 2020 GF. The 3 goals. The snap before half time which I think is his most incredible moment. The skill to snap a goal over shoulder whilst being tagged and 0.13 seconds to dispose of it was insane. The 2nd which almost broke them. The last did, the most incredible of goals with Danger spinning onto grass looking up at Dusty the goat.

A night out with strippers and Serena Williams was mentioned but didn't make the cut.

What an absolute ride this man has taken us on. I don't need an interview, will be eternally grateful for everything this icon has given us.

"Ohh Dusty Martin you're the love of my life"

P.S I'm sure I've missed some. Fire away.
Go Tigers!

Online wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #6856 on: June 11, 2024, 07:42:32 PM »
Danger at three is a joke, if he said Judd at #3, you'd think yeah, fair enough maybe, but Dangerflop??
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6857 on: June 11, 2024, 09:34:05 PM »
As promised

What a great pic

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6859 on: June 11, 2024, 09:43:52 PM »
The magnificent seven: Tigers' 300 club welcomes Dusty

Some of Richmond's greatest players gathered on Tuesday for a historic photo at Punt Road Oval

AS RICHMOND prepares to celebrate one of its greatest heroes on Saturday, a handful of Tiger champions gathered for a quiet moment at Punt Road Oval on Tuesday to welcome the newest member of their exclusive club.

Dustin Martin's triple premiership teammates Trent Cotchin, Jack Riewoldt and Shane Edwards joined fellow Richmond greats Kevin Bartlett and Francis Bourke at the club's home for a photo opportunity to commemorate Martin's milestone 300th game on Saturday.

That illustrious group came together beneath the statue of Richmond's first 300-game champion - the incomparable 'Captain Blood', Jack Dyer - for a picture that immortalises all seven players to have reached that milestone in yellow and black.

The combined playing CV of those seven men is stunning: 24 premierships, 18 club best-and-fairest awards, three Norm Smith medals (all Martin's) and two Brownlow medals across a total of 2,268 games to date. 

Tuesday's historic photo marks the beginning of a week of celebration that will culminate on Saturday's twilight fixture when Martin will run out against Hawthorn for his 300th game.

It's a milestone that Richmond has applauded often in recent years, as Riewoldt, Edwards and Cotchin all reached the mark, but Saturday will be different.

Few players in history have had the impact on their clubs that Martin has made at Punt Road, and his colossal contribution will be cheered by every supporter with even a hint of yellow and black running through their veins

https://www.afl.com.au/news/1149928/the-magnificent-seven-richmond-tigers-300-club-welcomes-dustin-martin

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
« Reply #6860 on: June 11, 2024, 09:44:55 PM »
Presumably KB's apologised to Dusty for hanging him out to dry during "chopstickgate"..... :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #6861 on: June 11, 2024, 09:52:39 PM »
His goals are obviously legendary but his field kicking often gets overlooked in highlight reels. As tigerland mentioned, His vision to launch a torp from the d50 in round 1 2017 was incredible. But also he just pulls off so many difficult kicks which slice open opposition structures.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6862 on: June 11, 2024, 09:58:56 PM »
Think it should 4 Norm Smith medals between them

KB won one too ;D

Online Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6863 on: June 11, 2024, 10:18:05 PM »
As promised

What a great pic

Shane Edwards & Jack Riewoldt - 2006 draft
Trent Cotchin - 2008 draft
Dustin Martin - 2009 draft

Seriously has there ever been a case league wide of 4 players reaching 300 games and playing as much as that together as these 4 have? Let alone playing in 3 flags together + all of the individual accolades along the way.

Serious masterclass in drafting right there.

Pity Rancey didn’t join them in the 300 club.

Offline Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #6864 on: June 11, 2024, 10:28:34 PM »
Although a few tapped out in the 280s

Geelong late 90 and early 00’s was amazing

Online Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6865 on: June 11, 2024, 10:30:12 PM »
Although a few tapped out in the 280s

Geelong late 90 and early 00’s was amazing

Yeah that’s the only example I could think of off the top of my head, but 300 > 280 lol

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6866 on: June 12, 2024, 07:06:50 AM »
Dangerfield over dusty is crazy. They have similar stats averages for entire careers so how is danger more consistent ? Dusty obviously has the edge with 3 norms and the general consensus that dusty has better skills and steps up in big games

In finals, Dusty averages 100 supercoach points and Danger 99. Since 2017, Dusty’s avg went up to 129 and Danger’s more or less remains the same
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6867 on: June 12, 2024, 07:19:55 AM »
LISTEN | Trent Cotchin joined us on a huge weekend for the Richmond Footy Club, for Dustin Martin's 300th.

https://x.com/SENBreakfast/status/1800295868786225507

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6868 on: June 12, 2024, 07:21:27 AM »
‘Happened like 15 times’: Unsung Dusty act which revealed his secret superpower... at just 19

Dylan Bolch
Fox Sports
June 12th, 2024

Dustin Martin is arguably the greatest Tiger ever.

The only three-time Norm Smith Medallist in the history of the competition, a four-time All-Australian and 2017 Brownlow Medallist.

Despite his long list of accolades, former teammate Jack Riewoldt says above all else, he is a great mate.

Appearing on Fox Footy’s AFL 360, Riewoldt shared a heart-warming anecdote that truly encapsulates the sort of teammate and friend that Dustin Martin is.

“It’s more so understanding who he is, you get to know people over a long period of time, that’s what mates do. He is a fantastic mate and fantastic teammate,” Riewoldt said.

“I remember back to early days, 2011, we were being challenged and we watched this edit of the first quarter and it was nothing to do with anyone’s skill.

“It was the number 4, at 19 years of age, going around and picking blokes up off the ground at every stoppage, it happened like 15 times, he was always the guy to pick the last bloke up off the ground.

“That’s that element of team, element of camaraderie, that element of leadership that he oozes. Because we don’t hear him talk a lot, you don’t hear him spruik it, but he is a fantastic leader.”

Martin is set to become just the seventh Tiger to reach 300 games, joining the likes of Kevin Bartlett, Riewoldt, Jack Dyer, Trent Cotchin, Shane Edwards and Francis Bourke.

“It’s a really important moment for the club… while the spotlight will solely be on Dustin this week, there’s this moment in time for the football club, he becomes an immortal,” Riewoldt said.

“I think and I hope he has a grasp on how important he is. He’s important to me, would I be a three-time premiership player if I didn’t have Dustin Martin in my life, probably not, I would say no.

Martin’s fingerprints are all over the drought-breaking 2017 premiership, as they are on Richmond’s 2019 and 2021 triumphs.

“After 37 years, from 1980 and 2017, there was a lot of desperate Richmond supporters and Richmond supporters that maybe lacked a sense of identity, the butt of an office joke around the water cooler, a generation of kids asking their parents or whoever made them go for Richmond, why?,” Riewoldt said.

“Then all of a sudden 2017 happens and it answers so many questions for people, but it also connects so many generations. When you break a premiership drought, that is arguably the most special thing you can do for people that you may never lay eyes on.”

Martin will not be participating in any media events this week but Riewoldt says one of the strengths of that Richmond side were playing to each other’s strengths and leaning on teammates.

“As we’ve grown around Dustin, an element of you becomes protective of him as well, he clearly doesn’t like doing media, he’s not an outward person,” he said.

“We understood that early on, you can push against someone and say ‘you should be doing the same amount as we are’ or ‘it’s in your contract’… but that wasn’t going to get the best out of him. I think there was a mutual understanding between a few of us that we’d pick up the slack in that area and he repaid us pretty well when we needed him on-field.”

AFL360 co-host Mark Robinson highlighted the enormous impact Martin has had in the AFL world.

“In all my time in footy I don’t think I’ve seen a player influence kids as much as Dusty Martin has with a haircut,” Robinson said.

“Everyone wears jumpers and numbers and stuff, I haven’t seen anybody… kids would go and get the Dusty haircut, it’s amazing.”

“Not just kids, I’ve seen full grown adults with it too!” Riewoldt laughed.

Despite his outstanding football resume, Martin, who Riewoldt labels an “enigma”, never got too big for his boots.

“Drinking Dom Perignon at the bar at 2am, he’s got his third Norm Smith, is he the kind of guy who would say you guys wouldn’t be here if it wasn’t for me?” Robinson asked.

“He couldn’t be more humble, those are the last words that would come out of his mouth. He played with this aura, when we did something great, he celebrated it,” Riewoldt replied.

“In 2017 in that final week, he wins the Brownlow and it was the most non-event of his week, oh yeah I’ve won the Brownlow that’s great, he was just completely driven for that Saturday against Adelaide.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/teams/richmond-tigers/always-the-guy-tigers-teammate-shares-heartwarming-dusty-story-ahead-of-milestone/news-story/20650d4f38b75c0d6fb1857fe86839b5

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond