Author Topic: Dustin Martin [merged]  (Read 947942 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Dustin Martin - 300 games [merged]
« Reply #6975 on: June 23, 2024, 12:51:51 AM »
How footy superstar Dustin Martin has set himself up for life with a multi-million-dollar property portfolio - as retirement looms

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/afl/article-13553229/Dustin-Martin-Richmond-Tigers-retirement-property-portfolio-Gold-Coast-Suns-AFL-Damien-Hardwick.html

So much too for Fev's "mail" that Dusty would retire after his 300th  :wallywink.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6976 on: June 23, 2024, 12:52:45 AM »
"Any thought that was a Dusty farewell last week can be put to bed now."

Dustin Martin was back at training today and looks sets to play game 301 against Carlton next Sunday, reports
 @cleary_mitch.

Watch: https://x.com/7AFL/status/1804492664886243409

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Dustin Martin [merged]
« Reply #6977 on: June 27, 2024, 03:54:15 PM »
Tigers tackle new Dusty dilemma in back end of season

By Shayne Hope
The Age
June 27 2024

Richmond superstar Dustin Martin faces more time on the sidelines in the second half of the AFL season as coach Adem Yze manages his senior players through a series of short breaks between matches.

Fresh off a mid-season bye, the Tigers (2-12) resume against old rivals Carlton at the MCG on Sunday before an interstate trip to face Fremantle.

Yze said Martin, who turned 33 on Wednesday, would "struggle" to play both of those matches.

The Dockers clash comes after the first of three six-day breaks in five weeks, and is one of two during that period that involve air travel.

"We'll sit down with him and work out a plan," Yze said of Martin on Thursday.

"He's going to be one of those players that we've got to decide with (because) we're starting to prepare for eight-day breaks and six-day breaks.

"If he plays this weekend there will be a high risk that he might not be able to play against Freo.

"So we'll sit down and try to map out a plan for a lot of those older guys, and he'll be one of those."

Martin was given a week off before playing his 300th AFL game in a loss to Hawthorn immediately before the bye.

The three-time Norm Smith medallist was given an emotional send-off after the milestone match, in what some onlookers took as a possible farewell.

Martin quashed those thoughts by returning to Punt Road after the bye and appears set to play out the rest of the season.

But the out-of-contract star's playing future beyond this year remains uncertain

Source: The Age

Offline Tiger_In_Sicily

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #6978 on: June 27, 2024, 05:19:41 PM »
Dusty pretty much hasn't raised a sweat all year, been resting all season

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6979 on: June 27, 2024, 07:34:00 PM »
God I hope Dusty of old comes out today and tears it up. Makes a huge statement, kicks 5 and shuts the media up

::)

Offline Tiger_In_Sicily

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6980 on: June 27, 2024, 08:44:28 PM »
God I hope Dusty of old comes out today and tears it up. Makes a huge statement, kicks 5 and shuts the media up

That has nothing to do with the fact he has had a pretty easy year so far. Love him as a player, but come on this rest BS is just BS. HE ISNT 45

Offline Tiger_In_Sicily

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6981 on: June 27, 2024, 08:48:19 PM »

Anyway after the first few minutes he rested the whole game and apparently needs more rest , seriously

Offline Wazza

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #6982 on: June 27, 2024, 11:33:52 PM »
This resting Dusty stuff is utter garbage. He isn't that old yet, allegedly trained solidly in the pre season, had a year off with his kidney, he should be right to go.

I wonder how Dusty really feels about being rested? I feel he would be the sort of guy who knows his body and knows his limits. Play him till he says no more or breaks....they do it to everyone else!!!

Offline Tiger_In_Sicily

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6983 on: June 28, 2024, 05:08:18 AM »
This resting Dusty stuff is utter garbage. He isn't that old yet, allegedly trained solidly in the pre season, had a year off with his kidney, he should be right to go.

I wonder how Dusty really feels about being rested? I feel he would be the sort of guy who knows his body and knows his limits. Play him till he says no more or breaks....they do it to everyone else!!!
Exactly, been saying this all along, yet continue to be ridiculed. Strange forum this .
Dusty has never been so rested

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6984 on: June 28, 2024, 05:34:00 AM »

It’s not just about age, he’s played 300 games. 33 years old, 300 games, short breaks- I wonder how your body would feel?

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6985 on: June 28, 2024, 07:24:20 AM »

Firstly, he didn't have a year off with his kidney injury.

Other clubs rst their over 30 players regularly at this time of the year, not sure why the angst to be honest..

Did they say categorically he was going to be rested? No what was said it was something they will looking at.
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Wazza

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #6986 on: June 28, 2024, 11:33:00 AM »

It’s not just about age, he’s played 300 games. 33 years old, 300 games, short breaks- I wonder how your body would feel?

Yeh I get it. He has played for a long time including juniors.
Yet 33 is the "new" old. The game has obviously changed and the old age bracket is now younger. But let's get real. 33 is not old. All these players train their arses off to compete at the highest level so unless they are actually injured or say they need a break wouldn't you play them? If he needs a break can't they lighten the training load?

I mean I'd love my boss to say, look you are 33 now, you need a day off every second week...and even as my own boss, that doesn't actually happen!!!

And yes, my apoligies, I worded the kidney injury wrong....he was in recovery and it would have been tough for him for sure. I just meant he was away from football contact and the club etc. for a period of time, so he may be wanting more time to play especially as the end is near.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #6987 on: June 29, 2024, 02:49:23 PM »
Tigers’ burning question: How will Dusty respond beyond game 300?

He was the talk of the town for the best part of three weeks, but the spotlight is now finally off Dustin Martin - somewhat. With speculation that he would retire immediately after the milestone match put to bed (for now), the 33-year-old’s next challenge will be to front up each week knowing that September glory isn’t possible in 2024. Obviously, he and his teammates have known that for some time, but the reality you would think hits harder without the milestone carrot dangling in front of him for 11 games this year. Averaging over 18 disposals and just under a goal a game, it’s pretty harsh to say that overall he hasn’t had some sort of influence this season. Yes, his consistency hasn’t been there like it once was, but there’s no doubt fans across Australia are still eagerly awaiting more of his brilliant best, despite the lack of motivation there once was.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-2024-the-blowtorch-round-16-preview-every-clubs-burning-question-analysis-fox-footy-commentators-tv-guide-fixture-latest-news/news-story/ebbd3138aec63f5e0b439107864744b6

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6988 on: June 29, 2024, 02:59:17 PM »
There’s a swirling rumour that he’s not playing tomorrow.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6989 on: June 29, 2024, 03:19:27 PM »
Should be his last year body is not holding up.