Author Topic: Dustin Martin [merged]  (Read 1073042 times)

Offline Simonator

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Dustin Martin [merged]
« Reply #7140 on: August 06, 2024, 03:06:43 PM »
Anyone else feel a bit of an identity crisis with the club now ?
Since Richo we have atleast had a recognisable figure for people to go and watch, we don’t have that now.

I hope like hell we nail this off-season with the draft. This club needs a Harley Reid like guy to come and give the club some identity.

Offline Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #7141 on: August 06, 2024, 03:08:41 PM »
Few things to note from the press conference. Someone finally noted that whilst gale was talking up our future, that this time next year gale will be working against us.. so it’s hard to listen to gale say we’re on the right path etc when he isn’t invested.

Also when asked whether dusty would be an attractive option to bring to Tassie in whatever capacity gale said they will cross that bridge when the time comes. Strange answer…
And finally he took a long time to answer the question of when he found out that dusty would retire when finally admitting it was over the course of the weekend.

Why not just be honest and say you’ve known for a coupla weeks or months or whatever it is.
Why not be honest and say you will try and get dusty to help at Tassie in a role, instead of this spin.
Why not be honest and say you’re not invested in the future of the club anymore instead of reeling off these hopes and dreams for our future.

I would love some honesty from the club in this down period instead of just useless spin.

Say we are in for some pain while we hit the draft but we still will aim to be competitive.
Say we are gonna lose a lot of experience this off season and there could be
Another  season or 3 of development

It’s a strange time at tiger land

Gale still works for RFC I suppose.

I doubt Dusty will go to Taz. They're AFL mad down there. The only silly options for him were NSW/QLD where the media might give him a break.

As for the retirement thing...well I suppose he's sticking to the party line, isn't he? Can't exactly say 'we knew months ago that he was cooked, checked out, getting paid $1.4mil/year' while the club is struggling. That's an internal decision really.

You'll never get that sort of honesty in a presser IMO. Club shouldn't be airing their dirty laundry to the media maggots.

It's interesting the NSW/QLD comment.
Didn't work for Buddy. He was still known everywhere.
I know when I was living in NSW, those that didn't follow AFL, knew two players. Buddy and Dusty. He transcends the anonymity, too famous and will cop scrutiny no matter where he goes.

Would be a shame if he ended up on the Gold Coast.

We all know one bloke that was burnt out from the rigors of AFL footy and found his way to the Gold Coast. Hope Dusty is better than that. 

Offline Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #7142 on: August 06, 2024, 03:17:22 PM »
Retiring immediately as he did was BS.. everyone is now sugar coating this.. not buying it.. his whole year has been a pathetic circus full of lies.. yes he was a champion, but this was a truly pathetic and weak exit

Have found you hard to deal with all year in regards to Dusty. You've been over the top some weeks.

But on this, I agree a million percent. The fact he couldn't finish a few more weeks, is really strange to me. BS and really ordinary.

Been an odd end to the greatest career I've seen.

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7143 on: August 06, 2024, 03:38:29 PM »
Retiring immediately as he did was BS.. everyone is now sugar coating this.. not buying it.. his whole year has been a pathetic circus full of lies.. yes he was a champion, but this was a truly pathetic and weak exit

Have found you hard to deal with all year in regards to Dusty. You've been over the top some weeks.

But on this, I agree a million percent. The fact he couldn't finish a few more weeks, is really strange to me. BS and really ordinary.

Been an odd end to the greatest career I've seen.

Yeah I'll admit I feel a bit robbed of a farewell game myself.

Does he owe me anything? We keep saying he owes us nothing etc.

I dunno...Been a member 23 consecutive years now. Kinda feel like we are owed a farewell game + MCG lap to say our goodbye. Call me selfish but isn't the priority supposed to be entertainment and fan engagement?

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Founding member of the Fab 5
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #7144 on: August 06, 2024, 03:43:47 PM »
We're owed nothing from him IMO. Gave us 3 flags. Without him we'd be 44 years and waiting
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019.2020
« Reply #7145 on: August 06, 2024, 04:44:31 PM »
What a champion.

My feeling is that I think he's feet were cactus. I've got no inside information on it but it's just my personal opinion.

Anyway, without him we wouldn't have all that success.
The club that keeps giving.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
« Reply #7146 on: August 06, 2024, 04:59:44 PM »
2025 = 1 AD on the Richmond calender....Poroporoaki Toa Nui.... :bow
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7147 on: August 06, 2024, 05:41:38 PM »
What a selfless champion. Cannot thank him enough for the joy and success he has brought this club. He stood up when it most counted. He was one of the main reasons the drought ended. I wish him a very happy retirement and good luck with whatever he chooses to do.  One of the greatest players I have ever seen and will be remembered as an absolute champion of the game.

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7148 on: August 06, 2024, 07:10:50 PM »
We will get 70-80k for that last game I feel.

I hope the club let everyone that he will be attending as my gut tells me he will give us a lap of honour.
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #7149 on: August 06, 2024, 08:17:23 PM »
Farewell to the legend of all legends. The memories he has given and the success he has delivered will last a lifetime and more  :bow :bow :bow

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Founding member of the Fab 5
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #7150 on: August 06, 2024, 08:35:14 PM »
Dunno where your post went TK but you had a supporter in me
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #7151 on: August 06, 2024, 08:47:57 PM »
Dunno where your post went TK but you had a supporter in me

I deleted it. Didn’t want to give anymore air time to bizarre negative comments at a time we should all just be congratulating and thanking the champ for all he’s done.

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7152 on: August 06, 2024, 08:52:32 PM »
Absolute champion of the club .

But the right decision has been made.

Thankful he’s retired a one club legend.
Unleash the tornado

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #7153 on: August 06, 2024, 09:29:51 PM »
I've seen some brilliant  Tiger champions in my life

Can vaguely remember Royce Hart

Saw KB at his best

Loved Richo

Always thought Maurice Rioli Snr was the best I'd seen until a kid Castlemaine came along

Dusty is without doubt the greatest Tiger I've had the privilege to see play.

Have also had the pleasure of meeting his late Dad, Shane and his Nanna.

Thank you Dusty a true Tiger champion
« Last Edit: August 29, 2024, 11:00:04 AM by WilliamPowell »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7154 on: August 06, 2024, 09:46:53 PM »

Speaking of pathetic and weak….
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.