Author Topic: Dustin Martin [merged]  (Read 1073013 times)

Offline Tigerteam

• Tiger Rookie
  • For We're From Tigerland
    • Homefix Building Services
Re: Dustin Martin [merged]
« Reply #7155 on: August 07, 2024, 06:01:55 AM »
Loved your "STYLE" throughout your entire career Dusty.
You never waivered & stayed focused even when the outside noise would & could break most "SUPERSTAR" players.
A true "LEGEND" of the game that had & will always have kids look up to you wanting to emulate "DUSTY" the Star...⭐
🐯🖤💛🖤🐯
A true "TIGER" immortal FOREVER...

Offline Tiger_In_Sicily

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7156 on: August 07, 2024, 03:18:34 PM »
Retiring immediately as he did was BS.. everyone is now sugar coating this.. not buying it.. his whole year has been a pathetic circus full of lies.. yes he was a champion, but this was a truly pathetic and weak exit

Speaking of pathetic and weak….
Sugar coat it all you like.. Dusty is the greatest player to ever wear our jumper.. The right thing to do was announce this would be his last Game!!! Them retire.. you know it but are too gutless to say it.. All the fans deserved a proper farewell game!!! You're all a bunch of sheep

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Founding member of the Fab 5
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #7157 on: August 07, 2024, 04:58:25 PM »
I'm one of those "fans" and I'm not owed anything by him.

Sad I'll never see him play again but owed? He owes me?? stuff off

The guy has always been a different unit and we never complained about it when he was helping us win flags.
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7158 on: August 07, 2024, 06:26:31 PM »
He's cooked, his skills have dropped to sub VFL level level. Used to hit targets and goals with is eyes closed.. no longer, more often misses targets than hits them. F his 300, doesn't deserve a game ATM. Reminded me of Dangerfield today, got plenty of ball but snuffed most kicks

Apparently dusty needed to play another game to appease the guy that has been calling for him to retire since May and criticising him endlessly all season.

The same guy that says dusty values loyalty above all else which is why him and Cotch are apparently no longer close after the events surrounding the Hardwicks. Wonder what dusty would think of these sort of posts then.

Seriously TIS, you haven’t been the only one but you have by far been the worst and it’s not even close. Dusty doesn’t owe you or anyone else for that matter a damn thing.

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7159 on: August 07, 2024, 06:36:42 PM »
Retiring immediately as he did was BS.. everyone is now sugar coating this.. not buying it.. his whole year has been a pathetic circus full of lies.. yes he was a champion, but this was a truly pathetic and weak exit

Speaking of pathetic and weak….
Sugar coat it all you like.. Dusty is the greatest player to ever wear our jumper.. The right thing to do was announce this would be his last Game!!! Them retire.. you know it but are too gutless to say it.. All the fans deserved a proper farewell game!!! You're all a bunch of sheep

We all know what you are - self awareness much?
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #7160 on: August 07, 2024, 08:43:23 PM »

So he didn't do it the way you wanted so you have to bag him again

He doesn't owe me anything. He gave me & others a helluva lot more than we dreamed of as we lurched through the footy wilderness for decades.

You call people sheep and gutless...nah... those you deem to be sheep and gutless I reckon are just bloody grateful
« Last Edit: August 08, 2024, 07:17:45 AM by WilliamPowell »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline JP Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7161 on: August 07, 2024, 11:01:26 PM »
Dusty has given every Richmond supporter exactly what we were all crying out for during our drought years.  He gave us hope for starters, then he gave us something to get excited about as his enormous talent started to emerge.  He played a huge part in our first finals' win in over three decades, then he took us to a grand final & won a Norm Smith in a crushing victory that changed everything.  Is there anything he hasn't done for the club? 
If anybody owes anybody anything, every Richmond supporter owes Dusty a few beers ... and I'd love a chance to pay him back one day!      ;D
Once a Tiger, always a Tiger!  Loud, proud & dangerous!

Offline Tiger_In_Sicily

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7162 on: August 08, 2024, 12:39:43 AM »

So he didn't do it the way you wanted so you have to bag him again

He doesn't owe me anything. He gave me & others a helluva lot more than we dreamed of as we lurched through the footy wilderness for decades.

You call people sheep and gutless...nah... those you deem to be sheep and gutless I reckon just bloody grateful
Lmao  I'm bagging the way he has retired..   
« Last Edit: August 08, 2024, 01:07:52 AM by one-eyed »

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #7163 on: August 08, 2024, 01:11:06 AM »
What’s Dusty like? I spent four years at Punt Road and this is what I know

Konrad Marshall
Senior writer
The Age
August 7, 2024

The first question anyone asks when they learn I was lucky enough to spend a few years inside the Richmond Football Club is always the same.

What’s Dusty like?

And much like the man himself, the answer is difficult to grasp. Because I never really met Dustin Martin, not unless you count that time in a hotel elevator in Brisbane, before the 2019 qualifying final against the Lions, when he spoke exactly five words (six without the contraction): “What’s on for today, Konrad?”

I don’t count that, by the way, because I was dumbstruck – in a way I wasn’t by any other Tiger – and managed only to mumble something unintelligible. I was clumsy and rushed – in a state of panic totally unfamiliar to him, except maybe in the face of his opponents.

What was on for Dustin that day? First a nap, before tearing the Lions apart with a symphonic six-goal performance, part Vivaldi, part Mack truck.

What can I say about him that people haven’t? Truthfully, not much. I can tell you that he isn’t just quiet in public, but also in private spaces such as line meetings or player lounges. Whether his audience is a handful or a stadium full, Dusty isn’t so much what he says as what he does.

“The eyes may be the windows to the soul,” wrote Greg Baum, “but only those in Martin’s most intimate circle get a peep inside.”

Indeed, that blank affect – the impassive face of the predator – is what made Dusty so ripe for description and hyperbole. He became a muse.

Richmond recruiter Francis Jackson saw Dustin play in 2008, when he was just a teenager, rampaging across an oval in Golden Square, Bendigo. “I remember his power, his ability to surge, and his skills on either side of the body,” Jackson once told me. “It seemed there was nothing he couldn’t do.”

The Tigers did their due diligence – interviews and psychological evaluations – and sketched down copious notes in their Dusty dossier, finding him shy but driven, strong yet pliable.

Extremely coachable. Strong desire to succeed. Scores above average for worrying. Very good mental toughness.

He honed those mental skills further at Richmond, under mindfulness coach Emma Murray. She worked with all players, helping them come up with words they could repeat in low moments on field, to anchor them. Dustin had three.

Strong. Aggressive. Unstoppable.

“That’s all he says,” Murray said. “Any time something goes wrong, he says ‘strong’. Any time he does something that’s weak, he says ‘aggressive’. Any time he tries to do something and someone blocks his way, he gets up and says ‘unstoppable’.”

That’s probably a bit easier when you have his heft, of course. When you walk into the inner sanctum of footy club, one of the things you notice up close is how tiny footballers have become. They’re aerobic beasts more than beastly – trim and tightly coiled.

Not Dusty, though. And not just in the eyes of an interloper like me, but players, too. Bob Murphy pointed it out a decade ago.

“He jogged down to full-forward, where I was going to meet him, and as he got closer, I had to blink,” Murphy wrote. “He seemed a foot taller, and two stone heavier. Angry, too. Like a rhinoceros.”

It was hard for Dustin to escape himself, and probably always will be. Damien Hardwick described him as “the lion in the zoo” – the animal everyone comes to see. Brendon Gale encountered Dustin one night at the baths in Middle Brighton, swimming in the darkness, searching for time alone and seeming like a shark.

As long as we’re anthropomorphising the Tigers’ talisman, consider how hard it would have been to stand next to him in the goal square, with his silent spectre lurking. And please enjoy this metaphor crafted by the writer Jonathan Horn, ahead of the 2019 preliminary final against Geelong.

“It will be Dusty’s own personal swamp,” Horn wrote. “His crocodilian menace will draw every eye in the arena.”

Inside Richmond, all of seven years ago now, they had a name for that role. When Dusty was isolated inside 50 metres – one out against his unfortunate prey – it was called the “Trump” role. Why? Because Dusty had permission to do as Donald Trump seems to do — whatever he wants.

What he wants now is to retire. After so much speculation and prognostication about his future – and so much mistaken certainty from so many pundits that he would soon be wearing the new colours of his former coach, now in Queensland – he’s stepping away instead.

And that’s no surprise at all, if you look back at that dossier, and check what teenage Dusty said about himself. He said he wanted to “win a premiership and be a one-club player”, and he named three personality traits that he hoped would define him: commitment, strong character, and loyalty.

Dustin was committed, and loyal, and strong to the end. Peter Burge, the former Tigers fitness boss, once pointed out that Dusty would flog himself in training sessions, and needed to be held back from doing too many extras, to protect him from himself.

“He won’t come to you if he’s tired – he’ll want to please everyone,” Burge said. “We have to say, ‘You’re due, mate. Take a rest’.”

Dusty’s finally made that call alone, and good on him. Because every Richmond supporter this week would echo the same sentiment as Burge, and they would do so with nothing but gratitude and love.

You’re due, Dusty. Take your rest.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/what-s-dusty-like-i-spent-four-years-at-punt-road-and-this-what-i-know-20240806-p5k05i.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #7164 on: August 08, 2024, 01:15:09 AM »
The remarkable numbers and stats of Dustin Martin’s career

SEN
7 Aug 2024

Champion Data has celebrated the great Dustin Martin.

The Richmond star announced his retirement from the game on Tuesday after 15 years and 302 games.

Below are some of the remarkable stats ‘Dusty’ delivered since making his debut in 2010.

Champion Data’s Daniel Hoyne also delved deep into Martin’s unbelievable finals record on SEN’s Sportsday.

See the stats tidbits below:

* 69 times he had 20+ disposals and 2+ goals. That is 10 times more than any other player over the last 15 years. Gary Ablett is next on 59 and Patrick Dangerfield on 58. That’s a significant gap with two walk-up Hall of Famers.

* The broken tackle stat started the year Dusty came into the competition. He’s had 377 broken tackles over a 15-year campaign. The next most is Jack Viney on 213. That’s 164 more than any other player.

* He’s won 49 per cent of one on one contests. The next highest player is 42 per cent being Nat Fyfe, then Dangerfield at 41. It is outrageous how much better a one on one player he has been over a 15-year career. The average is 25 per cent.

* Then you look at what he does when he’s been a target inside forward 50. When Richmond have gone to him, they’ve scored a goal 30 per cent of the time. No other player has done that in 15 years. He’s been the best forward 50 target in 15 years. The average is around about 18 per cent.

* Our AFL Player Ratings ironically started the year Dusty came in. He was the No.1 rated player on the ground for five consecutive matches from the 2020 finals series into 2021. Only Dangerfield has done that for five consecutive matches.

* His 2017 Grand Final is the second highest rated Grand Final of all-time. Luke Shuey’s 2018 Grand Final is miles ahead of anyone else, Dusty comes in at No.2. The rating was 30. If you get a 15 rated game, that’s an All-Australian type game. If you get a 20, it’s wow. If you get a 30 then you just go back and watch that performance over and over and over.

* His 2020 Grand Final comes up as the sixth best Grand Final. Keep in mind that is with shortened quarters. If you extrapolate that out to a full game then it comes out as the second best Grand Final as a 32 rated game.

* His 2019 Grand Final comes out as the 12th best Grand Final.

* Overall he has been the No.1 rated player on the ground six times from 16 finals. No other player has done that.

Dusty’s Finals Ratings

* His ratings in the 12 finals between 2017 and 2020 where Dusty was in his prime. He had one poor final out of 12 and that was the night when he couldn’t walk against Collingwood in the 2018 Prelim where they admitted afterwards that he probably shouldn’t have played.

* His Qualifying Final in 2017 he was 2nd highest. Prelim in 2017 against GWS he was 6th. Grand Final in 2017 he was No.1.

* 2018 Qualifying Final he was 1. 2018 Prelim, throw that in the bin.

* 2019 Qualifying Final he kicked six goals against Brisbane, 3rd highest player. 2019 Prelim against Geelong he was 11th. Grand Final day he was No.1.

* 2020 Qualifying Final against Brisbane, they lost, he was 9th. This is the best - they’re in a bit of trouble, they’ve lost their first final, he wakes up and goes No.1 in the Semi, No.1 in the Prelim and No.1 in the Grand Final. He went whack, whack, whack and brought home a flag.

* The 20-plus rating which is the wow factor, he has done that eight times in finals. The next most is five - Josh Kennedy, Joel Selwood and Dangerfield. He’s miles ahead.

* The three years they won a flag in 2017, 2019 & 2020 - in each of those Prelims and each of those Grand Finals, he’s had 20+ disposals and 2+ goals.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2024/08/06/the-remarkable-numbers-and-stats-of-dustin-martins-career/

Offline Tiger_In_Sicily

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7165 on: August 08, 2024, 06:02:20 AM »
LMAO

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7166 on: August 08, 2024, 08:31:37 AM »
I don't know as fact but I don't think he thought much of our current coach. Yze doesn't seem a great motivator.

Seriously all these players wanting out what kind of environment has he created?
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7167 on: August 08, 2024, 10:34:43 AM »
I feel a little flat . I believe that collectively Mitch Robinson and the unfortunate passing of Shane Martin definitely robbed us of one last magical Dusty season .
Unleash the tornado

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7168 on: August 08, 2024, 11:38:39 AM »
I feel a little flat . I believe that collectively Mitch Robinson and the unfortunate passing of Shane Martin definitely robbed us of one last magical Dusty season .

Agreed on these. Tragic. But it would always have been 1 season too short.

Same with Richo and Jack.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #7169 on: August 08, 2024, 05:56:15 PM »

My view had always been that the loss of his Dad had a massive impact.

I can only speak from experience but when you lose the single biggest influence in your life suddenly it takes a lot to get over it.

My Mum has been gone 19 years and I still have days where I need her and feel lost
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)