Author Topic: Dustin Martin [merged]  (Read 1073027 times)

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Dustin Martin [merged]
« Reply #7215 on: September 13, 2024, 04:21:45 PM »
So wp if he wasn't on our list then he couldn't go for 12 months?

Seems a dog act to not walk away with anything. Let's see what old mate Dimma and campo are made of.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #7216 on: September 13, 2024, 04:37:08 PM »

Yes , there will be compo

33yo on estimated 500k

We won’t be getting anything is what I read

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #7217 on: September 13, 2024, 04:38:17 PM »
The Club can’t sit on their hands with this. Either confirm or deny. Ralph Carr too

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #7218 on: September 13, 2024, 04:48:34 PM »
The Club can’t sit on their hands with this. Either confirm or deny. Ralph Carr too

Nothing the Club can say really

The Suns via another former Tiger Champion the head of Footy Wayne Campbell has said they are in discussions

As for Ralph I've never been a fan but I will confess he's looked after Dusty extremely well and I'm a surprised that he isn't trying to talk Dusty out of it

So wp if he wasn't on our list then he couldn't go for 12 months?

Seems a dog act to not walk away with anything. Let's see what old mate Dimma and campo are made of.

I have no idea Frankie

All I know is he is currently still on our list so from 31/10/2024 he is unrestricted FA

33yo on estimated 500k

We won’t be getting anything is what I read

Fair call...

Have to say I'd be refusing to trade Dan Rioli now for anything less than 2 first rounders in the top 10 with one of them needing to be in the top 5
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Simonator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7219 on: September 13, 2024, 04:52:47 PM »
When he announced his retirement I was one of few that thought he might still go to goldy and I was berated. I have to say, it would be such a sad end to see him in Gold Coast colours, bad way to end an all time great career. Also you hear people
Say Dusty’s biggest thing is loyalty. If this news really is true, there’s something fishy going on at tiger land

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7220 on: September 13, 2024, 04:55:21 PM »
Someone on FB who says they know the family, reckons Dusty is currently in Thailand. Another person reckons they asked Dean Martin who said it was all bs

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #7221 on: September 13, 2024, 06:09:53 PM »
‘A good fit’: Inside Dusty’s bid to rekindle his career with Hardwick’s Suns

By Sam McClure and Jon Pierik
The Age
September 13, 2024 — 5.20pm

Dustin Martin reached out to the Gold Coast Suns last week to express interest in playing for the club in 2025.

By Friday, he was on the Gold Coast meeting with mentor, friend, former coach and Suns head coach Damien Hardwick.

The renewal of talks between the triple Norm Smith medallist, arguably the greatest Tiger of all time, and the Suns happened quickly, but until then, it had been a slow burn for both parties.

After more than a year of conversations, Martin ultimately decided not to formally request a trade to the Suns at the end of 2023. Then 32, he had a year left on his monster contract at Punt Road.

He wanted to be loyal to the club that drafted him, and wanted to play his 300th game for the yellow and black.

He achieved both. The triple premiership player played his 300th in front of a massive crowd of more than 90,000 at the MCG and whipped the Tiger army into a frenzy with a Dusty special: a long-range goal on the burst.

After what felt like an emotional goodbye following his milestone match, where he was interviewed by fellow premiership hero and close mate Jack Riewoldt, the rumour mill cranked up again.

By this stage, Gold Coast and Martin’s manager, Ralph Carr, were discussing terms for a potential playing contract for 2025 and, maybe, beyond. Two sources close to Martin, who could not speak publicly due to the private nature of the negotiations, said they had initially discussed a two-year contract.

Martin hobbled off during a 10-goal loss to Carlton in round 17 and played one last match in round 22 against North Melbourne, the team that made him a massive offer before the Tigers’ drought-breaking 2017 flag.

Three days after the Kangaroos game, Richmond released a statement in which the club, not Martin, announced his retirement.

In carefully worded quotes, Martin thanked the Tiger army for their years of support and paid tribute to the club and his teammates, but he didn’t say he was finishing.

The club was more explicit.

“Martin has retired with immediate effect,” the last line said.

Richmond people were desperate for Martin to remain a one-club player.

But he has privately conceded to friends more than once in the past 18 months that a change of scenery may benefit him, both personally and professionally.

The opportunity to finish his career in Queensland or even NSW (don’t rule out a late swoop from the Swans) was always of interest to one of the greats of the AFL.

Martin has been overseas for much of the past month.

So when he picked up the phone and reached out to the Suns last week, things had changed.

In the previous weeks, the view of the club and Martin’s camp was that he was likely to commence retirement next year, but the European holiday and a mental break appeared to have rekindled in Martin the idea of extending his career.

When asked on Friday about the latest developments, Gold Coast football boss Wayne Campbell told this masthead: “We can confirm that Dustin has had a conversation with the club, and we will both be engaging in further conversations to work out whether it’s a good fit for the Gold Coast Suns and for Dustin.”

Martin, who played 302 games for the Tigers, could join the Suns as a free agent, and people close to the enigmatic superstar have indicated his desire to play for the Gold Coast is not about money.

The average AFL player salary in 2024 was a tick over $440,000.

Any deal involving Martin playing for the Suns in 2025 is likely to see him earning less than that.

The Suns will need to manage their salary cap carefully.

They have star players in the prime of their careers, like Ben King, Matt Rowell and Noah Anderson. They have just re-signed Mac Andrew on one of the biggest deals in history. Another Richmond premiership player in Daniel Rioli has asked to be traded there.

So a deal is not certain.

But the fact is Dustin Martin wants to play AFL football in 2025 and the Suns have expressed an interest in making it happen.

Carr did not wish to comment when contacted by this masthead.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/dustin-martin-and-suns-in-talks-to-play-on-in-2025-20240913-p5kaeh.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #7222 on: September 13, 2024, 06:14:22 PM »
Gold Coast Suns confirm talks over Dustin Martin’s return to footy

Foxsports
September 13, 2024 - 5:16PM

Richmond great Dustin Martin has met with Gold Coast coach Damien Hardwick, fuelling speculation that the three-time Norm Smith Medallist could be gearing up for a shock move to the Suns in 2025.

The 33-year-old would join the Suns as a free agent, a twist that few saw coming after Martin’s recent retirement announcement.

The notorious AFL rumour mill is now in overdrive, with the possibility of him continuing his career generating a lot of interest among fans.

Suns CEO Mark Evans confirmed that the club had indeed been in touch with the former Richmond Tigers legend.

“Dustin has reached out to the club but that’s as far as it goes at this point in time,” Evans revealed via the Herald Sun.

While talks began mid-year, the focus now shifts to determining just how motivated Martin is to lace up the boots again.

The Tigers champion was recently spotted on the Gold Coast, catching up with former teammate Brandon Ellis, who only just retired from the Suns.

Should the deal go through, the Suns would only need to clear a list spot and cover Martin’s salary — estimated to be between $350,000 and $500,000.

Richmond, however, would walk away empty-handed, as no trade deal would be required.

The whispers suggest the premiership hero has been toying with the idea of a comeback, even shedding a few kilos to prepare for a potential pre-season.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/gold-coast-suns-confirm-talks-over-dustin-martins-return-to-footy/news-story/f0e6d62c8225494d6b842836e590ac71

Offline Wazza

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #7223 on: September 13, 2024, 06:27:14 PM »
Is this Dusty being worried about his future, so going back to footy is the safe option....or is this the plan all along as some media had said?
Time will tell  :banghead

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • RWNJ / Leftist Snowflake - depends who you ask....
« Reply #7224 on: September 13, 2024, 06:54:33 PM »
lmao wgaf if a cooked Dusty hobbles around for GC for a few games like Cuz did for us and like that it'll be nothing more than a footnote...no-one outside GC is gonna remember him as anything other than Richmond player like no-one outside us remembers Cuz as a Tiger or Hodge as a Bear outside Brisbane... ..we're about to clean up & bitch slap the entire comp in a super draft and you're all crying over this irrelevent crap..... :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Buddysucks

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7225 on: September 13, 2024, 07:00:00 PM »
Pretty poor form from Dusty to wait all of 4 weeks to signal an interest in returning to AFL at another club. The Tigers have been extremely supportive of him and they’ve certainly treated him with kid gloves in recent times despite his lack of interest and headspace.
I suspect the golf, overseas travel and absence from the club during his alleged back injury was odd and Yze made some comments that gave me the impression he was frustrated at the situation.
The club was also extremely supportive and accommodating of Dusty’s extremely rare media engagements despite being our marquee / highest remunerated player.
I love the guy and what he help the club achieve but this is now officially a sh*tshow and a slap in the face to the club his team mates who gutted out a very very tough season.

Offline Wazza

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #7226 on: September 13, 2024, 07:02:04 PM »
lmao wgaf if a cooked Dusty hobbles around for GC for a few games like Cuz did for us and like that it'll be nothing more than a footnote...no-one outside GC is gonna remember him as anything other than Richmond player like no-one outside us remembers Cuz as a Tiger or Hodge as a Bear outside Brisbane... ..we're about to clean up & bitch slap the entire comp in a super draft and you're all crying over this irrelevent crap..... :shh

Love this. Well done Dio :thumbsup

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #7227 on: September 13, 2024, 07:07:08 PM »
I just feel a bit sick about this!
Hopefully nothing eventuates

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #7228 on: September 13, 2024, 08:22:00 PM »
Fascinating twist.

Yze would be very, very nervous. Arguably 4 best players on the list have all chosen to play at another club. This looks horrible, regardless however you spin it and excuses given, it reflects poorly on Yze. Maybe it's a mixture of bad luck and a bit of not being good enough, Gales comments sit with me about Yze could have been a bit more convincing.

We need some serious PR after the last 12-18 months. Whilst our fan base is still riding high of the 17-20 era. It may not last another season. We have to absolutely nail trade week and bleed GC for everything they are worth for Rioli. GC will look like absolute idiots if the get Dusty, upset us and they don't land Rioli. It's a business and we took Lynch, Caddy and Prestia from them and all the got were pick 6 and 25. So we can't get too pissy with them.

I personally think the advice for Dusty to continue to play is really poor and greedy from both Hardwick and Carr his two biggest mentors and the two to both have benefitted from Dusty's success. Now they want him to move states, meet a new group and do it all again at 33-35 years old so Carr cashes in more money and Hardwick gets more success that he has experienced already. That part I find disgusting. Phar Lap deserves to rest up in a paddock not be rolled out and whipped again in his twilight years.

I also look back and question Brendan Gale. As CEO to have two icons of the club retire/quit, leave the club, then within a month backflip and end up elsewhere, whilst you can't force people to stay if they want to leave, we look ridiculous having it done this way and also they fact we paid out Dimma and Dusty collect a huge wage whilst playing twice a week golf in the last 2 years of his contract and hardly played. Again we look stupid.

Id also question the AFL involvement. Similar to the circus that was Ablett to GC. Gold Coast is a failed experiment and the AFL got involved to get Ablett up to GC. The golden child of Geelong and biggest name. Now again Hardwick and Dusty the golden combo of RFC and dynasty kings have somehow made their way to GC. Stinks of inside persuasion to prop up GC again.

Regardless, the dynasty era is over. Would we have signed Dusty up at 500k a ywar. Probably but only out of respect. Our focus is on the super draft and nailing trades and the draft with thinking of number 1- the RFC. The era of rainbows and gratitude is over time to get ruthless again.
Go Tigers!

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #7229 on: September 13, 2024, 09:00:18 PM »
When he announced his retirement I was one of few that thought he might still go to goldy and I was berated. I have to say, it would be such a sad end to see him in Gold Coast colours, bad way to end an all time great career. Also you hear people
Say Dusty’s biggest thing is loyalty. If this news really is true, there’s something fishy going on at tiger land

I always thought Dusty was about loyalty, his Dad who I met a number of times always spoke of loyalty, believed in it. That's why i didn't believe for a second Dusty would give playing somewhere else a 2nd thought. I thought he would be a one club player, granted he still might be.

I don't blame the Club or Yze they clearly believed he was retiring, that's what he told them. The club have done so much for Dusty over his career especially since his Dad passed away. This is a slap in the face

But I feel totally blind sided by this

And to top it off the Sam McClure gloating is nothing short of nauseating
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)