Author Topic: Ben Griffiths [merged]  (Read 457635 times)

the claw

Re: Ben Griffiths [merged]
« Reply #630 on: May 28, 2012, 12:55:05 PM »
If Griff wasnt available we would have gone:
3: Martin
19: Astbury
35: Ayden Kennedy
43: Dea
51: Taylor

Griff has played more games than Kennedy.  :whistle
what rubbish.
we had the option at pick 19 of talls carlisle, black, and griffiths. easily the best 3 talls available at that pick. smalls bastinac fyfe and bartlett were also available.

What's rubbish about it? And lol Griff>Bastinac.  :wallywink
mate its garbage your trying to tell me we would have taken astbury at 19 if griffiths was not there. i pointed out two kpps who were much much better options than astbury and highly rated, both were touted to go first round. and i pointed out the fact that two potential A grade mids were also available at that pick. if it wasnt going to be griffiths at 19 it most certainly was not going to be astbury i can tell you now.

on bastinac hes done as much as any  player from that draft to date and he missed most of last yr with a serious knee injury.

bartlett well he was an outstanding pick brisbane must have been beside themselves getting him where they did. trouble is you need a crystal ball to be able to foresee two knee reconstructions.

black well if possible hes had as much injury as griffiths has, he will be a player. he was a skinny kid unlike griffiths and was going to take a little time anyway.was good against men before getting drafted.

carlisle sheesh hes only played about 15 20 games what is there to not like about him. of the talls mentioned he is the best performed to date.

okay our  boy.

griffiths.  was a huge risk he only played about  10 games in two yrs before we drafted him he only showed glimpses. and we took him knowing he had serious shoulder probs.
athletically he was the best tall available at pick 19, but performance wise there were others in front of him with no risk.
there was also two potential A grade mids available as well. again we were not going to take astbury at 19.
not against us getting him and not against him. but i did and still do query the risk with such a pick.
 with what he showed against hawthorn he will be a player.
 i have always said i would have taken one of carlisle or black before him if we were to go tall, both will be players. but my preference was bastinac because i felt he could be elite. there was nothing to prevent us targeting tall areas with picks 35 onwards.
i have never been against griffiths or said he wont make it or had no talent ive always said i prefered those others for the reasons ive given.

just a question we targeted two kpfs in griffiths and astbury yet it seems neither will play as forwards atm. did we fail to address our forward needs or a better way to ask it did we get it wrong or fail to address those forward needs if neither become forwards.
 taking todd elton last yr at pick 26 sort of says perhaps the club thinks we did.also with griffiths playing back perhaps astbury will now go to his rightful position at chf when he returns from injury.

anyway heres hoping we have found a big piece to the puzzle weather that be at chb or ff. would still like to see him in the forward line. for me he is a developing  player rather than an established player and has a awful lot to prove before i will call him an afl player.
the rest of the yr playing every week weather that be all games at richmond or some time back at coburg is what he needs. his kicking and movement look to be real weapons if he can start clunking his fair share of contested marks and find his fair share of ball on a regular basis we will indeed have a player.

So what I said we would have done is garbage because you personally think it wasn't the right option? lol ok then. Didn't read the rest of the jibberish after the highlighted part.  :shh :lol
lol so what you ask. you dont read peoples posts because your and ignorant nuff nuff i would never be that discouteous to a fellow poster. if you cant read posts dont answer them.
 well you talked rubbish astbury before any of those mentioned was not going to happen any fool with half a brain knows it. you only had to loosly folow the kids thru the yr to know that. the fact the lot of em went before astbury says it all.

dont talk rubbish and you wont get pulled up for it. difference between you and me is i know they would not have taken astbury in front of any of those mentioned you only think you know. does any one around here use common sense . did astbury remotely look like he had elite written all over him or even A grader of course he didnt. silly thing is i had him pencilled in at 35 or 44 depending who was available.

ive had people call me an idiot because ive said both astbury and griffiths were taken as key forwrds sheesh griffiths was touted the next plugger and astbury was a pure hit up forward. they were drafted on the back of playing forward and supposedly would address the gaping holes in the forward half.

those same  holes  that were created by delisting and trading schulz, polak, hughes and pattison. leaving  just a steadily improving riewoldt and post.
again if astbury and griffiths are defenders did we fail to address our needs did we assess those players wrong when we drafted them.

today the only key forwards on the list are todd elton first yr. , riewoldt the only truly established up to afl standard tall forward we have., miller who is a hack, post who we no longer know what he is because hes been pulled from pillar to post.
 his preseason was geared up as a defender and his one game he played defense. so is post a forward or not? it may all be irrelevant as it seems his papers have been stamped the way hes been treated.
finally  and people will insist hes a kpf vickery who to date has had 3 very odinary seasons in 4 . the only saving grace with vickery to date has been 36 goals in a season he looks ordinary in most other  aspects of the game to date.
the 09 draft
3 martin/morabito were the only options we were all over martin from get go. im sure if we had the choice between martin scully and trengove we would have taken martin.
19 if not griffiths and we were to go tall it most certainly would have been one of carlisle or black. black was tipped to go at around pick 12 and was probably the most inform tall going into that draft  he went so well he broke into peels seniors late in the season and  did well. he also tested very well at the draft camp in some critical areas. carlisle was rated along with talia.
 griffiths had hardly played a game in two seasons before the draft about 10 i think.
if we went small bastinac would have been the man fyfe was under most peoples radar and bartlett while coming off a knee was regarded as one of the best kids in the country before he did it.

ive heard rubbish like we would not have taken martin if we didnt take griffiths ffs how does that work and ive heard we would have taken astbury in front of a fair few players who quite frankly everyone knew were better credentialled players than astbury. ffs you people cant even get the draft picks right we had pick 35 and that is where we took astbury.

noone is disagreeing with griffiths potential no one is saying he cant play but some of us had others in front of him. every single club overlooked griffiths and there was talk he would last to the 30s because of his shoulder. its the same reason why bartlett slipped with a knee.

its typical richmond supporters though. griffiths has now played one decent game for us . yes he did nothing in his previous 9 apart from a glimpse of his kicking and movement.
while not my choice in the draft i think he will probably turn out to be a good pick but i for one wont be acclaiming him a player until he actually puts the runs on the board with good consistent performances.

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #631 on: May 28, 2012, 01:09:05 PM »
If Griff wasnt available we would have gone:
3: Martin
19: Astbury
35: Ayden Kennedy
43: Dea
51: Taylor

Griff has played more games than Kennedy.  :whistle
what rubbish.
we had the option at pick 19 of talls carlisle, black, and griffiths. easily the best 3 talls available at that pick. smalls bastinac fyfe and bartlett were also available.

What's rubbish about it? And lol Griff>Bastinac.  :wallywink
mate its garbage your trying to tell me we would have taken astbury at 19 if griffiths was not there. i pointed out two kpps who were much much better options than astbury and highly rated, both were touted to go first round. and i pointed out the fact that two potential A grade mids were also available at that pick. if it wasnt going to be griffiths at 19 it most certainly was not going to be astbury i can tell you now.

on bastinac hes done as much as any  player from that draft to date and he missed most of last yr with a serious knee injury.

bartlett well he was an outstanding pick brisbane must have been beside themselves getting him where they did. trouble is you need a crystal ball to be able to foresee two knee reconstructions.

black well if possible hes had as much injury as griffiths has, he will be a player. he was a skinny kid unlike griffiths and was going to take a little time anyway.was good against men before getting drafted.

carlisle sheesh hes only played about 15 20 games what is there to not like about him. of the talls mentioned he is the best performed to date.

okay our  boy.

griffiths.  was a huge risk he only played about  10 games in two yrs before we drafted him he only showed glimpses. and we took him knowing he had serious shoulder probs.
athletically he was the best tall available at pick 19, but performance wise there were others in front of him with no risk.
there was also two potential A grade mids available as well. again we were not going to take astbury at 19.
not against us getting him and not against him. but i did and still do query the risk with such a pick.
 with what he showed against hawthorn he will be a player.
 i have always said i would have taken one of carlisle or black before him if we were to go tall, both will be players. but my preference was bastinac because i felt he could be elite. there was nothing to prevent us targeting tall areas with picks 35 onwards.
i have never been against griffiths or said he wont make it or had no talent ive always said i prefered those others for the reasons ive given.

just a question we targeted two kpfs in griffiths and astbury yet it seems neither will play as forwards atm. did we fail to address our forward needs or a better way to ask it did we get it wrong or fail to address those forward needs if neither become forwards.
 taking todd elton last yr at pick 26 sort of says perhaps the club thinks we did.also with griffiths playing back perhaps astbury will now go to his rightful position at chf when he returns from injury.

anyway heres hoping we have found a big piece to the puzzle weather that be at chb or ff. would still like to see him in the forward line. for me he is a developing  player rather than an established player and has a awful lot to prove before i will call him an afl player.
the rest of the yr playing every week weather that be all games at richmond or some time back at coburg is what he needs. his kicking and movement look to be real weapons if he can start clunking his fair share of contested marks and find his fair share of ball on a regular basis we will indeed have a player.

So what I said we would have done is garbage because you personally think it wasn't the right option? lol ok then. Didn't read the rest of the jibberish after the highlighted part.  :shh :lol
lol so what you ask. you dont read peoples posts because your and ignorant nuff nuff i would never be that discouteous to a fellow poster. if you cant read posts dont answer them.
 well you talked rubbish astbury before any of those mentioned was not going to happen any fool with half a brain knows it. you only had to loosly folow the kids thru the yr to know that. the fact the lot of em went before astbury says it all.

dont talk rubbish and you wont get pulled up for it. difference between you and me is i know they would not have taken astbury in front of any of those mentioned you only think you know. does any one around here use common sense . did astbury remotely look like he had elite written all over him or even A grader of course he didnt. silly thing is i had him pencilled in at 35 or 44 depending who was available.

ive had people call me an idiot because ive said both astbury and griffiths were taken as key forwrds sheesh griffiths was touted the next plugger and astbury was a pure hit up forward. they were drafted on the back of playing forward and supposedly would address the gaping holes in the forward half.

those same  holes  that were created by delisting and trading schulz, polak, hughes and pattison. leaving  just a steadily improving riewoldt and post.
again if astbury and griffiths are defenders did we fail to address our needs did we assess those players wrong when we drafted them.

today the only key forwards on the list are todd elton first yr. , riewoldt the only truly established up to afl standard tall forward we have., miller who is a hack, post who we no longer know what he is because hes been pulled from pillar to post.
 his preseason was geared up as a defender and his one game he played defense. so is post a forward or not? it may all be irrelevant as it seems his papers have been stamped the way hes been treated.
finally  and people will insist hes a kpf vickery who to date has had 3 very odinary seasons in 4 . the only saving grace with vickery to date has been 36 goals in a season he looks ordinary in most other  aspects of the game to date.
the 09 draft
3 martin/morabito were the only options we were all over martin from get go. im sure if we had the choice between martin scully and trengove we would have taken martin.
19 if not griffiths and we were to go tall it most certainly would have been one of carlisle or black. black was tipped to go at around pick 12 and was probably the most inform tall going into that draft  he went so well he broke into peels seniors late in the season and  did well. he also tested very well at the draft camp in some critical areas. carlisle was rated along with talia.
 griffiths had hardly played a game in two seasons before the draft about 10 i think.
if we went small bastinac would have been the man fyfe was under most peoples radar and bartlett while coming off a knee was regarded as one of the best kids in the country before he did it.

ive heard rubbish like we would not have taken martin if we didnt take griffiths ffs how does that work and ive heard we would have taken astbury in front of a fair few players who quite frankly everyone knew were better credentialled players than astbury. ffs you people cant even get the draft picks right we had pick 35 and that is where we took astbury.

noone is disagreeing with griffiths potential no one is saying he cant play but some of us had others in front of him. every single club overlooked griffiths and there was talk he would last to the 30s because of his shoulder. its the same reason why bartlett slipped with a knee.

its typical richmond supporters though. griffiths has now played one decent game for us . yes he did nothing in his previous 9 apart from a glimpse of his kicking and movement.
while not my choice in the draft i think he will probably turn out to be a good pick but i for one wont be acclaiming him a player until he actually puts the runs on the board with good consistent performances.

I didn't need to read the rest of your post. It's the same stuff all the time. I'm not saying I agree we should have taken Astbury at 19 but it would have happened. Our recruiters don't follow the Phantom Drafts. Conca/Batchelor/Helbig the year after. Were they as highly rated as where we took them?

Offline Tigger

• Jack Dyer medallist
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #632 on: May 28, 2012, 01:23:11 PM »
I forgot about Sydney offering us picks 6 and 14 for pick 3 that year.

Not saying I would have done it then or even now (very happy with our lot) - but in hindsight we could have had a Fyfe at #6 and a Bastinac at #14 instead of Martin (assuming our recruiters rated them they way they have now turned out).

Imagine that midfield with Cotch Lids Foley Tuck hmmmm  ;D

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #633 on: May 28, 2012, 01:30:35 PM »
You go to confession then wash your mouth out with soap.

the claw

« Reply #634 on: May 28, 2012, 01:32:27 PM »
a) griffiths was the only player left in the draft at 19 that was said to have
 Been 'top 5 in the draft pool if not for injury`. With the rebuilding melbourne with so many high picks taking griff was the risk we needed to take.

b) with rance. Grimed. Griff looking like our 3 long term large defenders. Along witg vickery ruck
\ forward. It looks to me astbury is the perfect 3rd tall forward option.

Black was not highly rated draft day.

[/quote]A] you have to be kidding i would argue every day of the week you do not take unneccesary risks with  top 20 picks or even top 30 picks. can you imagine the anger if griffiths had totally broken down. black and carlisle had no risk involved and neither did bastinac. they all looked like they would be very good players and had the form on the board. you do realise while griffiths was rated on his athletic ability he played little footy for two yrs leading up to the draft. i may well end up pleased that we took the risk but i would never want them to take it under those circumstances not with such a valuable pick. go have a look at any tapes you can get on griffiths leading up to the draft there was nothing to write home about i can tell you. very few contested marks only got it on the lead a man mountain against boys and lacked the physicality to dominate them. to be honest i was underwhelmed but he gave the odd glimpse with his pace his agility and the odd leap and contested mark. for sure he had ability but just too many questions for me with that pick.
dont know what you are going on about with melbourne they had 4 picks inside 18 and took 4 mids. the only three  talls taken in the top 20 were  butcher talia and griffiths. butcher at 7,  carlisle went 24 and black at 25.
melbourne indeed stuffed up by not taking at least one tall with the 4 picks inside 20 that they had.

B) lol black not being rated taken at pick 25 and just the 5th tall taken that draft says he was highly rated. again his form leading into the draft was the best of any tall imo. he showed at age 18 that he had the tools playing against men. the talk was he could go at around pick 12 only butcher and talia were in front of him at one stage.great pair of hands fantastic kick dual sided and brilliant vertical leap. and clean only ever needed one touch.  while skinny had a body that looked like it would bulk up.

to be honest im not sure what we are arguing about here. i think we all agree griffiths looks to be a player but imo those mentioned all look to be players as well. my main gripe is not really about griffiths but the risk involved in taking him with that pick. i would never ever take a risk with such a valuable pick as pick 19.

the claw

Re: edit: drop king or nahas for houli
« Reply #635 on: May 28, 2012, 01:49:29 PM »
Ill prove it to u claw#

Batch. Grimes. Dea.
Griff. Rance. Morris.
Ellis. Deledio. Grigg.
Astbury. Vickery. Conca.
Cotchin. Riewoldt. Martin.
I.Maric. Tuck. Foley.
Newman. Edwards. King. Nahas

Next in line talls: OHanlon. Elton. Post. Moore? Browne. Derickx.
Mids: Helbig. Aarnot. A Maric. Jacko etc.forgot houli*

At the least rfc would have a tallish team with 2 ruckman size bookends +imaric.
i can totally live with team apart from the interchange bench.

next in line talls. ohanlon is a medium i suppose he can play tall hasnt played a game but theres potential  hes a long way to go.  elton is a first yr player has potential would hope with such a good pick at 26 he makes it.. post there has to be doubts about him now. may not be there next yr. moore well he should retire no guarantee he will get back is pushing 29  30 next yr wont be around long even if he gets back.
browne now cmon we havr to say its unlikely he will make it. derickx is 25 will have had two yrs to get a game and failed. atm the tall options are very limited. miller not the way forward. mcguane dud. it leaves just a few rookies.
even those in the 22 asbury griffiths  vickery have not done a lot and its more a potential thing than performance.

Offline Loui Tufga

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Beaver BLT
« Reply #636 on: May 28, 2012, 02:27:45 PM »
Mr Claw, you still havent answered my question as to why you think Griffiths was gifted a game and to whom you would have given the game to instead??

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #637 on: May 28, 2012, 02:54:22 PM »
Mr Claw, you still havent answered my question as to why you think Griffiths was gifted a game and to whom you would have given the game to instead??

you ain't getting an answer TFT

Dubstep Dookie

« Reply #638 on: May 28, 2012, 02:55:33 PM »
Checkmate TFT  :clapping

Offline Loui Tufga

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Beaver BLT
« Reply #639 on: May 28, 2012, 02:57:21 PM »

you ain't getting an answer TFT

I get that feeling......Its been 5 days ;D

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #640 on: May 28, 2012, 03:14:20 PM »
just as if you ask him what personal traits all these guns we overlooked in the draft would bring to the club.

[cue sounds of crickets]
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Online RedanTiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #641 on: May 28, 2012, 03:23:34 PM »
Claw are you an idiot? We're they both recruited as forwards? Do you know that for fact? I would doubt it. The thing is we haven't had an issue with our forward line sinc recruiting both these guys! Maybe we drafted both of them with the thought of playing them forward but since our forwards then stepped up we shifted bothe these guys down back where we had major defincies. Astbury has played all his games as a backman and yes Griffiths did start his career up forward but was forced to start playing down back because the forward line was full! So in hind site I would say No we didn't fail recruiting two KPP forwards because we haven't needed two KPP forwards!

Griffith and Astbury were recruited in 2009.
In 2009 Pattison, Hughes and Putt were delisted, Schulz was traded, Richo retired and Polak was demoted to the rookie list.
That's SIX forwards off the senior list and TWO possibles on.
"We haven't had an issue with our forward line" and "the forward line was full".
WHY did we recruit MILLER then and play him for 14 games last year?

Offline The Glove

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #642 on: May 28, 2012, 06:54:41 PM »
Some nice signs by Ben - great kicking, neat skills, very good decision making. Offensively a very good game by Ben.

However the key concerns with Ben on his intensity, durability and physicality remain.

Ben has had the rose glasses treatment because of our win but he flew often one handed and didn't straight linemarking contests, dropped his head and marks in marking contests and actually didn't take a mark in the game.

On the occassions where he was one out with Hale he was outbodied and outmarked easily.

I'd be concerned if he was earmarked to play on Kosi next week

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #643 on: May 28, 2012, 07:04:40 PM »
First week is hard to come back after a long layoff.

Second can be harder especially mentally having to overcome fatigue and the pace of the game.

I feel he is up to the challenge though.

He'll be right, once he gets his confidence up he'll be a rock in our D50. :thumbsup

Offline JVT

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #644 on: May 28, 2012, 10:27:54 PM »
Have always been a big fan, but was getting increasingly worried with the injuries he was copping in the VFL and also was not keen on his move to the backline . . . but credit where it's due, Ben played a very handy game over the weekend and showed he has the smarts and size to be a key player for us. He has a standard now that he should meet week in week out when he plays . . . gotta say, big fan of the 'rooost'!  :cheers :bow