Author Topic: Ben Griffiths [merged]  (Read 457820 times)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Ben Griffiths [merged]
« Reply #1950 on: August 03, 2014, 06:45:02 PM »
In fairness WP, none other stood out to me like that one.

Thought Grimes was worse  ;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1951 on: August 03, 2014, 07:00:07 PM »
Thought he had a good game. Played up and down the ground. Kicked a beautiful goal from a good mark. Set two others up with two thumping kicks deep into the forward zone.
What about the sitter he dropped from a kick in from GWS? 10m clear and sh/7 himself.
If you think that was a good game, I feel sorry for ya. And did I mention he didn't have a tackle.
there was 10 players who only had 1 or fewer tackles in this game. what a disgrace.

typical griffiths game where he shows the odd glimpse but there is little substance to his game. those glimpses keep on reeling them in.
Did more than Riewoldt for the game. Nobody is suggesting we drop Jack. So he should be given another chance.
dont think anyone has suggested he be dropped. yes riewoldt had a shocker and deserves criticism as well. thing is riewoldt has runs on the board and has actually played a lot of footy at the required level.
griffiths has hardly played a game at the required level in 5 yrs.

anyway you wont have to worry about griffiths being dropped. ATM THERE IS ONLY ONE OTHER OPTION AND THAT IS ELTON. Ist a sad state of affairs duds playing in the seniors and no juniors or reserves to put pressure on em and take their place.
Big tone suggested we drop him in the changes for the bombers thread. :whistle
I would drop him never to be seen again.
Griffith will never make it at AFL level.
We should start a 'put your balls on the line and say who you think will or will not make it thread' and revisited it every year. I'm happy to start with Griff.
It may sort out the posters that vote with their heart as opposed to the ones that don't.  :gotigers

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1952 on: August 03, 2014, 07:08:50 PM »

Once again I think you are missing the point. Now you are comparing a player that is putrid with a guy that had a putrid game.
You think Grimes had a shocker and he did, and you're saying Griff wasn't as bad. Not a great vote of confidence for Griff really.
Do you think Griff will make it at AFL level?

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1953 on: August 03, 2014, 08:19:38 PM »
Thought he had a good game. Played up and down the ground. Kicked a beautiful goal from a good mark. Set two others up with two thumping kicks deep into the forward zone.
What about the sitter he dropped from a kick in from GWS? 10m clear and sh/7 himself.
If you think that was a good game, I feel sorry for ya. And did I mention he didn't have a tackle.
there was 10 players who only had 1 or fewer tackles in this game. what a disgrace.

typical griffiths game where he shows the odd glimpse but there is little substance to his game. those glimpses keep on reeling them in.
Did more than Riewoldt for the game. Nobody is suggesting we drop Jack. So he should be given another chance.
dont think anyone has suggested he be dropped. yes riewoldt had a shocker and deserves criticism as well. thing is riewoldt has runs on the board and has actually played a lot of footy at the required level.

anyway you wont have to worry about griffiths being dropped. ATM THERE IS ONLY ONE OTHER OPTION AND THAT IS ELTON. Ist a sad state of affairs duds playing in the seniors and no juniors or reserves to put pressure on em and take their place.
We should start a 'put your balls on the line and say who you think will or will not make it thread' and revisited it every year. I'm happy to start with Griff.
It may sort out the posters that vote with their heart as opposed to the ones that don't.  :gotigers
In all fairness, it's hard to make calls on big guys as some take much longer to improve for various reasons. Schultz could play at Richmond. We all saw it. However, he never applied himself and thus failed.  Given another chance, he has blossomed. Griff has all the tools except he does go out of games and his mental toughness is questionable. Whether he can improve that aspect of his game is debatable.  I just feel that we have duds with half of his ability and have wrongly kept them for longer. Big guys that have his skills are in short supply. I just feel he maybe close to a break out game if we persist with him.  The way we played earlier in the year didn't help him either.
I don't agree that he was putrid on Saturday. I watched him closely. He influenced the game with his marking and a couple of booming kicks. Serviceable without being anything special is a fair assessment which most posters here would agree with. Putting it another way, he has improved this year - his stats show that.  If he continues this improvement he will become a handy player for us.
Look what he has had to cope with in his short career:
- drafted with a wonky shoulder that was operated on
- dirty essendon player then dislocates it by force in a game and needs a total reconstruction with bone graft
- not given games like others by Dimma as the coach favours putting games into Vickery
- left to wallow in a putrid reserves team called Coburg and stagnates like most of our juniors
- gets one game last year and gets dropped immediately never to return which shoots his confidence to bits
- has a great preseason and starts off the season well (was fifth in the AFL for contested marks after a few games and first at Richmond for pressure acts)
- our chip chip chip style means that he never gets the ball as the only time it makes to the forward line it is directed at Jack

I think the above reasons means he should be given another year IMHO.  He may not make it, but hell, he needs to be given a good chance to show what he has to offer.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Gigantor

« Reply #1954 on: August 03, 2014, 08:38:39 PM »
if the coaching staff had half a brain they would be play griff for the rest of the season,that would give the club a clearer picture of whether hes worth persevering with

the claw

« Reply #1955 on: August 03, 2014, 08:40:01 PM »

im happy to participate in that thread. i reckon i do it anyway.
with the talls i always refrain from calling for their heads until after yr 4. im probably vickerys harshest critic but ive only called for us to cut our losses with him this yr.
im happy to make a call on em earlier based purely on weaknesses and performance.
i reckon my first nomination would be vickery.

also i think people are missing  one critical aspect of what i was saying with fjs drafts. we can argue about who is just a player edwards for instance but where is the quality outside of the top 5 picks. its not just about the ones who have made it and become decent players wheres the b and a graders outside of those top 5 picks.

having to have this debate with people sums up our club as well. we know we have to raise the bar even on okay players but when someone points this out noone it seems wants to acknowledge the need. deficient players are good enough it seems when people ask for the bar to be raised just a bit higher. surely people realise if we dont aim higher set the bar higher we will do what we always do and that is see sides shoot straight past us.

if juniors are safe in the short term we need to turn over at least half the list ffs we will turn over 18 20 players in the next 3 yrs as a normal practice.
its not hard to see the likes of jackson, chaplin, edwards, newman stephenson, foley, maric, knights, king, will have to be replaced in that time frame just from age alone.
we have a list that can only take us so far we have to turn over the likes of houli grigg edwards etc, the fact that a lot of these blokes are in the top 22 or 25 players just emphasises the amount of players we need to turn over.
if we aim high we may just accomplish something but we fail as supporters and a club to set the bar at a decent level and demand the best.

im sorry end of rant,  this yr is likely to be my last so i carry on a bit.   if they cant do the basics do what is needed at the end of this yr i wont be going around again im over supporting an organisation that continually sticks its head in the sand and fails to learn pretty simple lessons.

Gigantor

« Reply #1956 on: August 03, 2014, 08:46:40 PM »
claw how can you possibly put in all this effort disecting,discussing,probing,the club and then wash your hands of it ....Nope you owe it to yourself and the club you support to keep at them demanding success,whether that takes 1 or 100 years

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1957 on: August 03, 2014, 09:26:39 PM »

im happy to participate in that thread. i reckon i do it anyway.
with the talls i always refrain from calling for their heads until after yr 4. im probably vickerys harshest critic but ive only called for us to cut our losses with him this yr.
im happy to make a call on em earlier based purely on weaknesses and performance.
i reckon my first nomination would be vickery.

also i think people are missing  one critical aspect of what i was saying with fjs drafts. we can argue about who is just a player edwards for instance but where is the quality outside of the top 5 picks. its not just about the ones who have made it and become decent players wheres the b and a graders outside of those top 5 picks.

having to have this debate with people sums up our club as well. we know we have to raise the bar even on okay players but when someone points this out noone it seems wants to acknowledge the need. deficient players are good enough it seems when people ask for the bar to be raised just a bit higher. surely people realise if we dont aim higher set the bar higher we will do what we always do and that is see sides shoot straight past us.

if juniors are safe in the short term we need to turn over at least half the list ffs we will turn over 18 20 players in the next 3 yrs as a normal practice.
its not hard to see the likes of jackson, chaplin, edwards, newman stephenson, foley, maric, knights, king, will have to be replaced in that time frame just from age alone.
we have a list that can only take us so far we have to turn over the likes of houli grigg edwards etc, the fact that a lot of these blokes are in the top 22 or 25 players just emphasises the amount of players we need to turn over.
if we aim high we may just accomplish something but we fail as supporters and a club to set the bar at a decent level and demand the best.

im sorry end of rant,  this yr is likely to be my last so i carry on a bit.   if they cant do the basics do what is needed at the end of this yr i wont be going around again im over supporting an organisation that continually sticks its head in the sand and fails to learn pretty simple lessons.
The problem at Richmond for so long has been development claw.  I'm sure if we got Fyfe he would be a dud at the tiges who couldn't kick.
Our reserves have been a problem for many years.  This is only our first with our own. We must give it time to influence our progress. We definitely need a better reserves coach to assist this progress. 
This year is a perfect example of where development can influence results big time.  According to the players, our standard of training was poor earlier on.  We played poorly as a result.  We have picked up the standard and we have started to win. This is an example of a development of sorts.  We have never been able to push the envelope of excellence at training at Richmond.  Probably not since the Hafey days.  Our club has been the refuge for the player after the good life - a fat pay check each week without ever having to give 100% every week.  With the adulation of the fans enough for them they have never needed to demand excellence from themselves and their teammates.
You might think it's FJ's fault, but I think it's the culture that has been engrained into the very fibre of the club for so long that it never lets players go to the next level.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1958 on: August 03, 2014, 09:29:15 PM »

Once again I think you are missing the point. Now you are comparing a player that is putrid with a guy that had a putrid game.
You think Grimes had a shocker and he did, and you're saying Griff wasn't as bad. Not a great vote of confidence for Griff really.
Do you think Griff will make it at AFL level?

First of all regarding Grimes, I was talking about his dropped sitter, thought it was worse than Griffs  ;D

And yes yesterday I thought overall Grimes' games was worse than Griffiths. Yesterday I thought our worst player was Newman with Grimes next... Griffiths was as I said just OK

In answer to your question about whether I think Griffiths will make it AFL level?

First few rounds of the season I would have argued strongly yes, now I think it is clear he will not make it at the RFC but will could make it at another Club if he got to a good one with the right development program in place.

So short answer is NO at Richmond but possibly YES at another Club

And that's in part an indictment on the RFC and it's poor development of players that's been the norm for far too long
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

tony_montana

« Reply #1959 on: August 03, 2014, 10:02:23 PM »
Still going to back this guy in - was serviceable yesterday

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #1960 on: August 03, 2014, 10:09:06 PM »
 :clapping

In all fairness, it's hard to make calls on big guys as some take much longer to improve for various reasons. Schultz could play at Richmond. We all saw it. However, he never applied himself and thus failed.  Given another chance, he has blossomed. Griff has all the tools except he does go out of games and his mental toughness is questionable. Whether he can improve that aspect of his game is debatable.  I just feel that we have duds with half of his ability and have wrongly kept them for longer. Big guys that have his skills are in short supply. I just feel he maybe close to a break out game if we persist with him.  The way we played earlier in the year didn't help him either.
I don't agree that he was putrid on Saturday. I watched him closely. He influenced the game with his marking and a couple of booming kicks. Serviceable without being anything special is a fair assessment which most posters here would agree with. Putting it another way, he has improved this year - his stats show that.  If he continues this improvement he will become a handy player for us.
Look what he has had to cope with in his short career:
- drafted with a wonky shoulder that was operated on
- dirty essendon player then dislocates it by force in a game and needs a total reconstruction with bone graft
- not given games like others by Dimma as the coach favours putting games into Vickery
- left to wallow in a putrid reserves team called Coburg and stagnates like most of our juniors
- gets one game last year and gets dropped immediately never to return which shoots his confidence to bits
- has a great preseason and starts off the season well (was fifth in the AFL for contested marks after a few games and first at Richmond for pressure acts)
- our chip chip chip style means that he never gets the ball as the only time it makes to the forward line it is directed at Jack

I think the above reasons means he should be given another year IMHO.  He may not make it, but hell, he needs to be given a good chance to show what he has to offer.

the claw

« Reply #1961 on: August 03, 2014, 11:40:44 PM »
claw how can you possibly put in all this effort disecting,discussing,probing,the club and then wash your hands of it ....Nope you owe it to yourself and the club you support to keep at them demanding success,whether that takes 1 or 100 years
sorry mate i suppose the older you get the less important footy becomes. other priorities take place.  its not just the rfc and the constant mistakes but the state of the game itself. for us older types its hardly footy any more so its a combination of things that has me disinchanted not just with the tiges who will alwys be in the blood but the game itself.
and to,  yellowandblackblood. for sure development has been a big problem. but my stance on it is. if you recruit too many with basic deficiencies you can be the best development team in the world it wont help.

for me recruiting comes first.  get good yougsters with all the basics and physical attributes in place and then let your teachers go to work. we just dont do this.
the head of the snake is the recruiters god damn fix it and all else will become much easier to achieve.

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1962 on: August 04, 2014, 12:29:42 AM »
It's either Griffiths or Hampson for the end of the year.

Bellchambers and Ryder will kill us next week.

Chance to see if Griff will stand up. Need to kick it to this guys chest straight in front. None of this pocket crap.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1963 on: August 08, 2014, 10:30:22 PM »
He did pretty good the BBBG

Offline The Big Richo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Keyboard Hero
« Reply #1964 on: August 08, 2014, 10:31:16 PM »
Yes.

All those morons riding Griffiths and Vickery take note.

They will be very good players in time.
Who isn't a fan of the thinking man's orange Tim Fleming?

Gerks 27/6/11

But you see, it's not me, it's not my family.
In your head, in your head they are fighting,
With their tanks and their bombs,
And their bombs and their guns.
In your head, in your head, they are crying...