Author Topic: David Astbury [merged]  (Read 262919 times)

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: David Astbury [merged]
« Reply #1080 on: August 07, 2017, 11:11:17 PM »
Our back six is the best in the league. Really well balanced. Don't tamper with it.
Our back six has Houli and BEllis.  :chuck :chuck
Grimes, Rance and Vlastuin are stars...
Astbury is getting better....

I'd just about give my left nut to see a backline without those first 2 in it.
Sometimes the whole is better than the sum of the parts bt. Stats don't lie. They are brilliant together and our points against shows that.
Stats do lie.

So let's get this straight, you dont think it at all possible to do better than two of the softest players in the comp?
I actually feel sorry for some of our supporters that we have been so poo for so long we are just happy to make the finals.... or win a final...
Aim for the stars mate, surely seeing The Bulldogs steel one last year gives you some hope we can do better than just making the finals....
And with BEllis and Houli we won't do much better than that.

They will both let us down when it counts.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1081 on: August 07, 2017, 11:25:35 PM »
Yes they're soft. Houli is a panic merchant too.
Bellis has been much better this season as he is moving the ball on forward quickly much more often.
I'd rather play Short than Houli. I'd like to fit Markov in there too now that he has regained a little form in the twos.

However, we know that Dimma doesn't drop those two ever. So it isn't going to happen no matter how much I whinge on this site. Whilst we are winning and have the best defence in the league (currently) it's even more ridiculous to whine about it.

I'm just sitting back and enjoying the team effort that is occurring most weeks now. The pressure is amazing that our small forwards put on the opposition and that flows through the team. From a team that most site experts had finishing in the lower half of the ladder at the start of the year, it has been refreshing seeing a competitive attacking brand of footy.

I said that Rioli was tracking beautifully a couple of weeks ago and you bagged me. Since then he has been brilliant. Sure, he put in a few ordinary performances but his pressure has always been there and that kept him in the team. As a 20 year old you expect a few off games. But anyone who knows anything about football can see he oozes class and when the ball is in his hands we ALWAYS looks likely to score.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1082 on: August 07, 2017, 11:38:52 PM »
Yes they're soft. Houli is a panic merchant too.
Bellis has been much better this season as he is moving the ball on forward quickly much more often.
I'd rather play Short than Houli. I'd like to fit Markov in there too now that he has regained a little form in the twos.

However, we know that Dimma doesn't drop those two ever. So it isn't going to happen no matter how much I whinge on this site. Whilst we are winning and have the best defence in the league (currently) it's even more ridiculous to whine about it.

I'm just sitting back and enjoying the team effort that is occurring most weeks now. The pressure is amazing that our small forwards put on the opposition and that flows through the team. From a team that most site experts had finishing in the lower half of the ladder at the start of the year, it has been refreshing seeing a competitive attacking brand of footy.

I said that Rioli was tracking beautifully a couple of weeks ago and you bagged me. Since then he has been brilliant. Sure, he put in a few ordinary performances but his pressure has always been there and that kept him in the team. As a 20 year old you expect a few off games. But anyone who knows anything about football can see he oozes class and when the ball is in his hands we ALWAYS looks likely to score.
The trouble is he doesn't get it enough.
Do you seriously think Rioli has been brilliant? 
The last couple of weeks he has been better but far from brilliant.
Enjoy the wins mate but don't go overboard.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #1083 on: August 07, 2017, 11:56:34 PM »
Anyone who can't see Rioli's importance to the side clearly isn't watching properly....
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1084 on: August 08, 2017, 12:37:40 AM »
Anyone who can't see Rioli's importance to the side clearly isn't watching properly....
Yer... it's the stuff you don't see  :shh

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #1085 on: August 08, 2017, 02:26:17 AM »
But Lennon should be gifted games because no one has seen what hasn't been seen yet.  :rollin
The club that keeps giving.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #1086 on: August 08, 2017, 03:07:56 AM »

Ner....it's the stuff most people see.... :shh :shh

But Lennon should be gifted games because no one has seen what hasn't been seen yet.  :rollin

You mean has been seen by anyone who pays attention and actually watches the VFL rather than just believing Dorothy Dix match reports .....which is actually kind of amusing from someone who's supposedly sceptical about everything else the club says or does and makes that the basis of their whole schtick... :shh
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1087 on: August 08, 2017, 06:15:28 PM »
From a team that most site experts had finishing in the lower half of the ladder at the start of the year

Thanks for not including me with those plebs

Offline 1885

• Jack Dyer medallist
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #1088 on: September 12, 2017, 12:33:32 PM »
Our back six is the best in the league. Really well balanced. Don't tamper with it.
Our back six has Houli and BEllis.  :chuck :chuck
Grimes, Rance and Vlastuin are stars...
Astbury is getting better....

I'd just about give my left nut to see a backline without those first 2 in it.

Grimes, Rance, Vlastuin, Astbury.... McIntosh, Broad.

Houli and Bellis are alright as rotation.

Astbury is a gun these days. Well done to him  :shh

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1089 on: April 19, 2018, 12:10:31 PM »
Richmond great Matthew Richardson paid tribute to Astbury on this week’s edition of the Club’s official podcast ‘Talking Tigers’.

“He’s a really good guy and a great person around the Club . . . There’s a lot of great character in that playing group, and Dave’s one of those guys that brings the group together,” Richardson said.

“Playing-wise, to that back six, he’s really important.

“He allows (Alex) Rance to play the game that he plays because he can cover off the most dangerous, biggest forward for the opposition.  And he doesn’t just shut them down, he wins the ball back.

“He’s a great contested mark. And the amount of times he can mark that long ball down the line – not just spoil it, but actually win it back for the team.

“Winning the ball back for your team is just about the most important thing now, and he does that regularly with his marking – intercept marking and contested marking.

“And when he gets it now – he gets it 15-20 times – he uses it well.

“I don’t reckon he tries to do too much with the ball. He knows what he needs to do, and he just does the predictable things, which is what your teammates want . . .

“He’s very predictable to his teammates and he’s just so reliable now – rock-solid.” 

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2018-04-19/astbury-earns-accolades

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1090 on: April 25, 2018, 04:13:02 AM »
One of our best last night: 20 possies, 7 marks, 7 rebounds & 9 1%ers. Dave is having another good season so far.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1091 on: April 25, 2018, 09:21:50 AM »
One of our best last night: 20 possies, 7 marks, 7 rebounds & 9 1%ers. Dave is having another good season so far.
Is shifting into AA contention at this rate
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1092 on: April 25, 2018, 10:05:14 AM »
Is shifting into AA contention at this rate

:clapping

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1093 on: June 06, 2018, 03:20:38 PM »
Friday night’s big clash with Port Adelaide at Adelaide Oval will be Astbury’s 50th consecutive match.

At the midway mark of the 2018 home-and-away season, Astbury is averaging 15.1 disposals, 6.5 marks and 3.8 rebound-50s.

He is ranked 13th in the competition for intercepts and 17th for marks.

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2018-06-06/astbury-on-a-games-roll

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1094 on: June 09, 2018, 01:45:26 AM »
Meanwhile, Hardwick is hopeful defender David Astbury has avoided any serious damage to his ankle after he limped off in the second term.

The defender returned to play out the game, but will be monitored next week.

Source: AFL website