Author Topic: David Astbury [merged]  (Read 263076 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: David Astbury [merged]
« Reply #1110 on: September 25, 2019, 10:06:50 PM »
Astbury, the not-so-Dusty Tiger

Michael Gleeson
The Age
26 September 2019

Astbury ended up in hospital on a drip the night before the game. No one knew.

In the preliminary final both Martin and Astbury played despite what soon became clear were physical limitations. The illness to Astbury was every bit as important in impact as the Martin corkie.

“To be honest, we are still not really sure what it was but it was really debilitating, it was some sort of bacterial infection. It came on me really quickly, after training during the week it presented itself and I thought, 'Oh, this will knock me about for a day.' But then it just hung on,” Astbury recalled.

“It was really tough. I thought, 'What are the chances of this coming on now?' I have been stung by a stingray in the bay and done all sorts of stuff. Luck has typically not been on my side so I just put it down to that.”

Indeed it has not. Astbury played 17 games in his first season then a combined 24 games over the next five years. He despaired and seriously contemplated an offer to move to Brisbane in 2015.

“I was 24 and I wanted to be playing senior footy. I looked into the opportunity of going to Brisbane and I still had a year of a contract to run and there was all sorts of moving parts to the football club at that stage – we had just lost another elimination final and they were looking to get something moving. Hindsight is a wonderful thing, as they say,” Astbury said.

“I was thinking if I went I would be doing it for the wrong reasons. I wanted to be good enough and I had to back myself that I would be good enough to do it here.

“It just takes emotional toll on you, being injured. There were different stages when I thought I am not really built to do this but I was just going to hang on for as long as my body could and now I am glad I did because now my body feels great.”

During a season when so many key Richmond players have been injured, Astbury has played most games. He missed a few with a tight hamstring - one week of which meant the Tigers were without nine of their top 13 from last year’s best and fairest. But save for Alex Rance being out, their back line has been consistent.

“I think we have got a really good mix in the back line that will serve us well. They [Greater Western Sydney] have a really challenging front six but I remember when we played Adelaide in 2017, they were considered the best forward line in the AFL," said Astbury, leaving unstated the additional line that Richmond beat them.

"The GWS guys definitely aren’t too far away from that," he said.

Astbury and Dylan Grimes' synergy has been fundamental to Richmond holding their season together and being back in the grand final.

The pair have a strong connection off the field; Astbury is off a farm in western Victoria and has bought a 20-hectare property near there where he runs cattle and Grimes has bought a vineyard at Mount Macedon.

"Grimesy spends more time on the phone with my old man than I do, which is funny. They have a funny relationship - they stir each other up but it doesn't take much of an excuse for them to get on the phone to each other," he said.

The vineyard and Grimes' role as manager has been the source of constant amusement to Tigers players.

"He is really passionate and really forward with the people he gets on-site to work for him. He has had a few disputes and we love them here at the footy club, we have to hear about them,'' Astbury said.

"He understands now he is running a business and he has to be hard on people at times. I thought he might struggle because he is such a nice guy and initially he was like that, but now he goes looking for opportunities to give someone a barrel.

"You will just see him, he throws his AirPods in, which is pretty floggish, and you can see him animated about something and it has clearly got something to do with the winery."

Astbury leads the charge of players needling Grimes about his regular blow-ups but former coach and now Essendon senior coach-in-waiting Ben Rutten still gets involved.

The regular source of amusement for Rutten is to find any funny vision of Grimes - such as his recent staging for a free kick when he flopped to the ground - and turning it into a GIF and putting it on the group chat.

"Anything we want to stir him up with goes straight into the group. He definitely copped it over that, but he reckons it was the best $1000 he ever spent because of the free kick," Astbury said.

"The best thing about him is he is the first person to poke fun at himself. He knows exactly how intense he is being at times in those conversations so it's good to get a rise out of him."

Intense but able to have a laugh at themselves might be the motto of the Richmond back line.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/astbury-the-not-so-dusty-tiger-20190924-p52uir.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1111 on: September 29, 2019, 07:11:27 AM »

David Astbury – 7

Part of a great defensive unit. Locked down on Jeremy Finlayson for most of the day, keeping the Giant to a paltry one touch. Dropping into the hole in front of Jeremy Cameron to take an intercept mark typified his performance.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-09-28/player-ratings-richmond

DAVID ASTBURY 7

Once stung by a stingray, he gave GWS a serious sting of his own. Wore Jeremy Finalyson like a glove, holding him touchless in the first half.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/afl-grand-final-player-ratings-dustin-martin-and-bachar-houli-shine-toby-green-phil-davis-flop/news-story/3b13f40fe020027c0e71ae275f356ff2

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1112 on: September 29, 2019, 03:44:46 PM »
Rance getting injured has elevated his game big-time.

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1113 on: September 30, 2019, 10:41:10 AM »
I have never really rated this bloke but he is a great role player and does so within that structure very well.

Definitely takes a good grab here and there and has been key since Tross went down.

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #1114 on: September 30, 2019, 10:56:12 AM »
He’s very important for our structure. While he doesn’t have as many flashy moments like Rance and grimes or Vlastuin he is still essential for how the defence operates. He is a premiership hero in my eyes

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1115 on: September 30, 2019, 11:57:05 AM »
 A good honest defender. Good mark, hard at it and rarely gets beaten one on one.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1116 on: September 30, 2019, 12:05:19 PM »
He's like the Rock of Gibraltar down back.  :clapping
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1117 on: September 30, 2019, 02:32:50 PM »
He was very good during the finals. A good footballer who I thought would struggle without Rance but he should be proud of his achievements. Well done to him.

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1118 on: September 30, 2019, 03:46:46 PM »
Very underated.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1119 on: April 27, 2020, 06:46:43 PM »
David Astbury, 29, has spent the majority of time during football's pause due to COVID-19 back on his family's wheat farm in Tatyoon, a small town in western Victoria where he grew up.

He said the Tigers' focus on mental wellbeing and resilience had helped him adjust to the abnormal circumstances of this season, and the wait for games to recommence.

"I was quick to shift my perspective and be grateful for what I've got and that was, in these times, being able to get out of the city and get back to Tatyoon and have purpose back there, particularly helping my dad on the farm," he said.

"It's true absence does make the heart grow fonder, and certainly Melbourne and Australian society is crying out for football and I want to get the season going because I just want to get back around my people."

Source: AFL website

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1120 on: May 08, 2020, 02:55:00 PM »
Tiger Astbury finds purpose and connection in farm life lockdown

The Age/AAP
May 8, 2020

Richmond's David Astbury never expected to be drinking beer around a campfire after spending the day cutting wood.

Maybe during the off-season, but certainly not in mid-autumn.

The Tigers were supposed to be building towards back-to-back flags following their dominant 2019 grand final victory over GWS.

As some players struggle to find purpose without football, the two-time premiership defender has been more than content, 250 kilometres to the west of Punt Rd.

He didn't hesitate in heading back home the day after the competition's postponement in March.

It's allowed him to connect with family like never before.

While Astbury has since returned to Melbourne eyeing an imminent restart of the season, the trip away has been nothing but a positive experience.

The 29-year-old has based himself in western Victoria, spending plenty of time at his father Craig's 360-acre farm near the small town of Raglan.

Not far away is his mother Kate.

"I thought that I would always have a silver lining [during isolation] and it presented itself initially in some lifestyle habits," Astbury said.

"As time wore on, I spent more time with my mum at her block at the foot of the Grampians and my dad at his place in Raglan.

"That's turned out to be the best thing that happened to me over this period.

"My relationship with both of my parents individually has been awesome and I've loved the conversations that we've had."

Astbury has built up some farm fitness, while also managing a weights set-up the envy of plenty of footballers looking for motivation in lockdown.

One of Astbury's neighbours welded him a weights frame, squat rack and bench to keep up his strength work.

All his running sessions take place at the ground of his local club in Tatyoon, close to where he's purchased a property of his own.

While Astbury admits he's just a "townie" who's "never going to be a farmer", the 130-gamer has been able to learn some tricks of the trade.

"Doing some work with Dad, cutting some wood and doing some cattle work; then having a beer with him after a long day turned out to be a really special time for me," he said.

"It's been 14 or 15 years since I have spent an extended period of time where I'm from in autumn."

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/tiger-astbury-finds-purpose-and-connection-in-farm-life-lockdown-20200508-p54r3m.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1121 on: September 19, 2020, 09:50:56 PM »
How did we all see Astbury's comeback game?

14 disposals @ 71.4%
6 marks
9 intercepts
2 tackles
259m gained

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1122 on: September 19, 2020, 09:59:02 PM »
Solid return. Gives our backline better balance as he frees up grimes to either lock down a small or play loose.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1123 on: September 19, 2020, 10:28:24 PM »
Ok. Looked very slow at times

Clearly I wasn't as impressed as Jono Brown

Who went on and on
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #1124 on: September 20, 2020, 03:03:09 AM »
Had Tex who looked like a footballer for the first time in a long while.. :shh

Not a bad game tho. First one back, did some good things. Personally prefer Balta to get the Big jobs now
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"