Author Topic: David Astbury [merged]  (Read 260288 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: David Astbury [merged]
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2009, 06:08:32 AM »
By David Brehaut
Ballarat Courier
27 Nov, 2009

Astbury from Tatyoon near Ararat was picked with selection number 35.

Rebels regional manager Phil Partington attended the draft in Melbourne and spoke to Richmond ... officials immediately after selections were completed.

"They're rapt," he said.

"Richmond was very keen on David Astbury. They thought he might have gone earlier.

[Astbury] followed the draft at home ... with father Craig, mother Kate, and sisters Claire, 20, and Zoe 13.

Astbury said he was overwhelmed.

"I was in the kitchen when my name came up.

"I left the room in an ad break and it came back quicker than I thought."

His mother broke the news.

Astbury said Richmond had telephoned him yesterday to inform him of its intention to draft him.

Astbury said getting the call was exciting, but he did not expect to be picked so early.

He said it was taking a while to sink in.

http://www.thecourier.com.au/news/local/sport/football-australian-rules/new-challenge-for-rebels-trio/1689566.aspx?storypage=0

Ramps

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2009, 06:12:24 AM »
I reckon he was a good selection just taken higher than what I would of hoped. Needs to put on some weight but should be ok down the track.

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2009, 11:45:57 AM »
He needs a few feeds but give him a chance he is still a young fella growing into his skin.  :thumbsup
Think I was about 70kg round his age, joined the navy hit the weights and blossomed into 90kg of beautiful manswan  :lol :gobdrop
Lots of people name their swords......

richmondrules

« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2009, 11:49:14 AM »
Think I was about 70kg round his age, joined the navy hit the weights and blossomed into 90kg of beautiful manswan  :lol

Hmmm. Disturbing.

;D

Ramps

« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2009, 02:08:52 PM »
where do you guys find this poo  ;D

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2009, 03:08:49 PM »

"Richmond was very keen on David Astbury. They thought he might have gone earlier.

Astbury said getting the call was exciting, but he did not expect to be picked so early.

:help ;D ;)

Offline peggles

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2009, 08:16:08 PM »
I reckon he was a good selection just taken higher than what I would of hoped. Needs to put on some weight but should be ok down the track.

that's fair enough.  i read on the chat from the recruitment officer today that we had mail that NM were keen on him with their 3rd round pick which is 37, 2 picks after ours.  hence we had to swoop.

regardless i believe we're very high on astbury. 

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2009, 09:32:46 PM »
Cannot be any worse than Mr Hughes or Mr Schultz  8)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2009, 12:57:47 AM »
From today's Herald-Sun and Age.....

Astbury is a 195cm forward who had a dominant year with the North Ballarat Rebels in the TAC Cup.

He joked he was no quick replacement for Matthew Richardson."I am not sure if I can fill the shoes you are talking about just yet but give me time, I will see what I can do," he said.

"I got called out a little earlier than I expected so I was ecstatic.

"Richmond came to Ballarat before the draft camp and we had lunch and they asked me a few questions and then they went away and I hadn't heard a lot. Then on draft day they called to say that I was in their plans."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/tigers-continue-high-player-turnover-with-rookie-picks/story-e6frf9jf-1225805144643

David Astbury is a key-position player who hopes to make his name at Richmond as a lead-up half-forward.

There is a big vacancy for that sort of role at Richmond, following the retirement of club legend Matthew Richardson.

"I'm not sure I can fill the shoes you're talking about just yet - but give some time and I will see what I can do," he said with a grin.

Astbury said it was comforting that he was among so many first-year players at the Tigers.

Ben Griffiths, Troy Taylor, Jerome Webberley and Ben Nason were also recruited through Thursday's draft.

"Once you come through the doors, I guess you're all on the same level," Astbury said.

"To have other (newcomers), I reckon it's going to be terrific, we can all work together.

"It's an exciting time for the football club and hopefully in a few years, once the new facility is up and stuff like that, we can really surge.

"I just want to be a part of that."

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-sport/tigers-put-the-work-into-recruiting-dea-20091129-jyps.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2009, 06:54:48 PM »
Astbury heads to Tigerland after National draft selection
Jessie Antonio
01 Dec, 2009

Tatyoon Football Club export David Astbury will be settling in at Tigerland this week after being selected by Richmond in the AFL's national draft.

The Astbury family has been caught up in a whirlwind of excitement since David's name was called at pick number 35 last Thursday evening.

The 18 year old said he watched the live coverage of the draft from his parent's loungeroom.

''We watched it on TV as a family,'' he said.

''It was pretty low key, but it got a bit ecstatic around the house when my name came up. It was an emotional moment.''

Astbury's father Craig said he was extremely proud of his son's achievements.

''It's been a bit tense over the past few weeks so it's just fantastic. We're over the moon for him,'' he said.

Astbury grew up on the family property at Tatyoon before moving to Caulfield to complete his final years of schooling.

After an impressive season for the North Ballarat Rebels and stellar performances in the 2009 NAB under 18 National Championship, few were surprised when AFL clubs began showing a keen interest in the tall teenager.

His versatility is a sought after trait in young recruits and allows Astbury to be used in a mix of forward and defending roles.

His kicking efficiency was also put in the spotlight after he ranked among the top 10 players in the kicking test at AFL draft camp.

While the camp gave Astbury the opportunity to prove himself, an injury sustained during testing left him disappointed.

''I got injured at the camp so I couldn't complete some of the testing,'' he said.

''I'm really fortunate that it didn't end up hindering my chances of being drafted.''

Richmond expressed a keen interest in Astbury during the lead up to last week's draft, however the modest youngster said he was shocked to be selected so early.

''I thought I was in with a chance, but I honestly didn't expect to get picked up in the top 40. It was really exciting.''

Richmond Head of Development, Tim Livingstone, met with the Astbury family last Friday to discuss the details of Astbury's relocation to Punt Rd.

Mr Livingstone said things moved quickly once a player was drafted.

''It's a massive move for a kid. Becoming a professional athlete is quite an adjustment,'' he said.

Astbury moved to Melbourne on Sunday and commenced training with the Richmond side yesterday.

Mr Livingstone said he would be eased into his new routine.

''We visit players at their homes so we can get a feel for their environment and see what their family life is like. It makes it easier for us to organise their living arrangements.'' he said.

''David will be hosted by a player for a week or two and then he will either move in with a host family or a player depending on the situation.''

Astbury said he could hardly wait to join the Tigers.

''I'm really looking forward to being part of an elite team environment and earning the respect of the people at the club.''

The Richmond playing group was quick to extend a warm welcome to Astbury, with high profile players including Ben Cousins, Trent Cotchin and Richard Tambling sending him congratulatory text messages last week.

''It really makes you feel part of it,'' Astbury said.

While he will now be living his AFL dream at Richmond, Astbury said he will always be grateful for the support of Tatyoon locals.

''I want to say thanks to everyone who has followed my football since I left Tatyoon,'' he said.

''I really appreciate the support from the community and the mentors that I have in this area.''

Two of Astbury's Ballarat Rebels' teammates were also picked up in the national draft.

Matt Dea will join Astbury at Richmond after being selected at pick number 44, while Josh Cowan was snapped up by Geelong with selection 56.

http://www.araratadvertiser.com.au/news/local/news/general/astbury-heads-to-tigerland-after-national-draft-selection/1692411.aspx?storypage=0

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2009, 10:52:57 PM »
Astbury is a 195cm forward who had a dominant year with the North Ballarat Rebels in the TAC Cup.

David Astbury is a key-position player who hopes to make his name at Richmond as a lead-up half-forward.
Interesting to see which position Astbury eventaully ends up mainly playing. I guess it depends on where we play Postie. If Postie ends up playing more as a forward then Astbury would be more useful down in defence especially if he's a good kick. You would think if all goes to plan Griffiths and Jack will be the mainstays talls up forward leaving one tall spot left where we could play one of Postie, Astbury or Vickery.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2009, 11:28:12 PM »
http://www.contestedfooty.com/2009/11/david-astbury-2009-afl-draft-prospect.html

David Astbury

Statistic averages in the 2009 TAC Cup for North Ballarat:
M   10
Last   6/09/2009
Gls   9
Bhd   10
HS   3
HSDate   3/05/2009
HSVenue   Buninyong Recreation Reserve
HSOpp   Western Jets
B   1
NB   1
GlsAv   1
KE   51
KIE   38
HE   25
HIE   5
HR   21
Mks   49
Tks   22
FF   7
FA   7
HO   7
CM   12
UCM   48

http://www.sportingpulse.com/team_info.cgi?player=David%20Astbury&action=PSTATS&pID=188650932&client=0-3020-27610-0-8058800

Position: Key position forward or back

David Astbury is an agile tall who can kick goals and is a very good over-head mark. He has a good lead and will normally end up with the ball in his hands when the ball travels in the air to his area. Astbury sees himself as more of a leading half-forward in the Riewoldt mould than as a defender.

One weakness David Astbury has shown is that he doesn't wait for the right option and often resorts to just bombing it long to a contest which doesn't suit most modern game plans. He makes up for that though because of his above average pace, endurance and agility for his size of 193cm. At 79kg he is too light, as most of the tall draftees are.

David Astbury does have very strong hands; often out-marking opponents due to the cleanness of his hands. He also has a excellent read of the flight of the ball and often marks when the ball is coming over his shoulder comfortably. David Astbury is a good pack mark and seems to just float in to the flight of the ball at just the right moment with crisp hands.

David Astbury can also swing forward and kicks goals due to his marking ability. He possesses a simple kicking action which is pretty accurate. Unlike some of the other defenders he actually chases and tackles which is a real asset in a big man. His disposal by hand is adequate and he can kick on both sides of his body.

Astbury did the 3km time trial in 10.57 mins at NAB AFL Draft Camp, which for a player of his size is quite good. He also obtained a top ten ranking in the kicking test at Draft Camp with 70% efficiency. He doesn't have the best statistics though from when he was playing, but he does seem to have plenty of potential. I would expect him to go second or third round in the AFL draft, it's very hard to pick where the key positions are going to be taken in 2009.

Online torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2009, 01:28:22 AM »
i would like to have Jayden Post and David Astbury develop into Centre Half Forwards.

i don't think having ...

F:       Nahas/Gilligan/Nason/Taylor      Griffiths                 Vickery/Gourdis/Simmonds

HF:     Riewoldt                                Astbury/Post         Morton/Cotchin/Deledio/Tambling/Martin

as our "6" Forwards 2010 - 2025 rotating those positions will not hurt!

i think we should draft an actual key defender who can play CHB!

:)

Ramps

« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2009, 10:27:23 AM »
I also think a 195cm-196cm key defender should be targetted. Whether its now or next year, we need a bigger sized key defender.

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2009, 12:39:59 PM »
When I hear Astbury, I for some reason think of this guy...

And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do