Author Topic: David Astbury [merged]  (Read 265718 times)

Offline The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: David Astbury [merged]
« Reply #945 on: February 25, 2017, 12:17:51 AM »
I thought he was serviceable tonight. My main issue is with his decision making with ball in hand.

Better than serviceable he was fantastic tonight!

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #946 on: February 25, 2017, 12:30:05 AM »
Yep Arsenerry was really good tonight. Outmuscled Tex.

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #947 on: February 25, 2017, 01:20:56 AM »
Been waiting for this guy to get back to what he was before the injury. I just hope he takes this into the season proper.
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #948 on: February 25, 2017, 08:42:36 AM »
I'm not convinced.
The club that keeps giving.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #949 on: February 25, 2017, 12:44:07 PM »
Still very much up the proverbial if Rance goes down....
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #950 on: February 25, 2017, 01:22:35 PM »
Good game. But geez he's slow. Slow reflexes in general play too. Worries me.

Hoping last nights effort in the new standard and he doesn't play on a more mobile fwd during the year.

"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

FlashGordon

« Reply #951 on: February 27, 2017, 01:00:40 PM »
Classic negator who has the tools to play on a Tex type and do a shut down job, if and when the ball is coming into the FL like a ball comes into a FL in the JLT series.   Unfortunately has been found out to many times when the whips a cracking and is just to slow of mind and foot to be able to be anything otherr than a servicable player who every now and then has a good game.  Treading water with these types, but at this stage it is what it is.  Its quite hilarious the amount of complete and utter FUs the brains trust has had to persist with to hide its ineptitude. I mean who on earth prematurely ejaculated and said this guy was the next Richo?  lmaoooo FFS.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #952 on: February 27, 2017, 01:52:13 PM »
Classic negator who has the tools to play on a Tex type and do a shut down job, if and when the ball is coming into the FL like a ball comes into a FL in the JLT series.   Unfortunately has been found out to many times when the whips a cracking and is just to slow of mind and foot to be able to be anything otherr than a servicable player who every now and then has a good game.  Treading water with these types, but at this stage it is what it is.  Its quite hilarious the amount of complete and utter FUs the brains trust has had to persist with to hide its ineptitude. I mean who on earth prematurely ejaculated and said this guy was the next Richo?  lmaoooo FFS.f
Wasn't it Richo himself? :shh
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #953 on: February 27, 2017, 10:16:34 PM »
Classic negator who has the tools to play on a Tex type and do a shut down job, if and when the ball is coming into the FL like a ball comes into a FL in the JLT series.   Unfortunately has been found out to many times when the whips a cracking and is just to slow of mind and foot to be able to be anything otherr than a servicable player who every now and then has a good game.  Treading water with these types, but at this stage it is what it is.  Its quite hilarious the amount of complete and utter FUs the brains trust has had to persist with to hide its ineptitude. I mean who on earth prematurely ejaculated and said this guy was the next Richo?  lmaoooo FFS.
You are spot on with what he can do.
But are we smart enough and brave enough to leave him out of the side when there isn't a "Tex" type match up? I think we all know the answer...
We need players that can defend but they also need to be able to contribute on the way out and unfortunately Dave is not good enough.

I'd try him forward again as he has reasonable hands when he has a bit of confidence. And I dont think he could be any worse than Griffiths.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #954 on: February 27, 2017, 10:50:12 PM »
As someone said, he's a pretty good negator 1v1 but his zoning is pathetic.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #955 on: March 30, 2017, 05:14:17 PM »
Astbury adapts

richmondfc.com.au
March 30, 2017

Key Richmond defender David Astbury has outlined how he’s adjusting to the Tigers’ new, attacking game plan.

“I suppose it’s all about playing to what your strengths are. Obviously, I’m probably never going to be Bachar Houli kicking it 60 metres out of the defensive-50, but I’ve got some framework that I work within,” Astbury said.

“Everyone needs to play by the team rules and keep the ball moving . . .

“Nothing really changes for me. I’m a defender first.

“I don’t think rebounding defender will ever be thrown up with my name . . .

“It’s about getting your head around moving the ball a little bit more fluidly, which is going to present more opportunities to score, and then that’s going to put more pressure on the opposition,” he said.

“So, as a backline, if we’re (the overall team) kicking goals, we’re going to stay happy.”

Astbury, who is coming off an AFL career-high 19 games last year, following a frustrating run of injuries previous to that, is feeling fit and fresh at the start of season 2017.

“I’m really happy to be healthy and part of the backline and part of this football side,” he said.

“It’s a really exciting, good place to be . . . I’m just enjoying playing senior footy at the moment.

“I’m definitely diligent with my body and making sure I front up each week . . .”

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2017-03-30/astbury-adapts

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #956 on: March 30, 2017, 05:35:12 PM »
looks slow as poo to me

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #957 on: March 30, 2017, 05:41:05 PM »
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #958 on: March 30, 2017, 11:19:52 PM »
Amen to that. Hard to believe he is in the side and there isnt someone better. He just gets caught mentally behind the play.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #959 on: March 30, 2017, 11:55:50 PM »
Hopefully grooming Moore to take his place.....otherwise - Jackson Trengove next year please.....need to add at least three or four KPP's to our list...
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.