Author Topic: Round 1: Richmond Vs Carlton  (Read 17039 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Carlton Vs Richmond
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2010, 06:26:43 AM »
Bower's been good, though.  Joseph, Davies and Anderson, too.
Bower is a very underrated footballer. Was very good last year for the Blues as a midsized defender.

Apart from that though the Blues have been very ordinary. Just 4 goals in 3 quarters and making a heap of basic mistakes. Even Walls has called them a rabble  :lol
hes hardly a mid sized defender. at 192cm and 92kg hes as big as any kpd we have. hes a tall running defender who will probably get the likes of franklin because of his running ability.
i saw a bit of him at peel and liked him  as a junior. watching him match up on the likes of josh kennedy was worth going to watch.

'Midsized' was the wrong word although what I meant by that was Bower didn't play as a strict KP backman as yet (he may in the future). As you say he was more a tall rebounder. Jamison is their FB while Thorton and Waite before he did his knee helped out as 3rd man up against opposition key forwards. Fisher who did his ACL last night is also 192cm tall but I wouldn't say he was a tall forward.

Interesting to see what changes the Blues make going into round 1. As bad as they were last night there'll be at least half a dozen changes for their round one 22. Judd (susp.) and Fisher (ACL) are out. Betts, Walker and Houlihan will come in presumably after their booze cruise holiday. Murphy and Waite possibly as well although they'll be underdone. Simpson and Armfield back too. Nothing there to help out their forward line structure though.

I hope Carrazzo and Russell play. We need all the help from their dodgy footskills we can get.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2010, 09:36:34 AM »
Carlton fans already spitting the dummy  ;D

Quote from: verbs
Yikes. Richmond are gonna give us a smashing.  :(

Fevola made Ratten look good. Fevola made Carlton look good. Ratten doesn't have Fevola. Carlton doesn't have Fevola.

Fin.

Quote from: Synbad
Fev or no Fev... we didnt even control the game... chip chip chip.. poohouse gameplan... poohouse structures.. players didnt have a clue what to do.... more of the same.. except Fevolaless......

Fev made Ratts look ok..to the unobservnt me thinks.....

Everyones players come on and look like they have a grasp of the game except our own....

In my opinion youre going to really see Ratts exposed as the coach hes pretending to be this year.

Quote from: 2ndeffort
I dont understand all the negativity. The game i saw tonight was a total triumph and an obvious change of gameplan. As many on here have speculated, the key is obviously being unpredictable!!!! I sat 10 mins ago and thought the game through and clearly the highlight for me was exactly that, the unpredictableness of it. Many of the players carried this off to a T. Heath Scotland in particular was very unpredictable especially with his marking. Brock McLean was so unpredictable there were entire quarters of the game when I couldnt tell if he was even on the park, for a bloke touted as a major part of our team and someone needing close attention from the opposition, this was a strategic master-stroke and must have seemed entirely unpredictable to the Swans. Our forward line was also a highlight, most would have expected all of our tall players to mark the ball and kick a score, that they managed to avoid that would have come as a total surprise to the Swans. Thank goodness we got rid of that Fevola bloke, I can now see how a dominant forward demanding the ball inside our forward 50 would have totally upset the unpredictability of our forward line tonight. Imagine if he had kicked 4 or 5 goals tonight, what would that have done to our unpredictability...pfft!!! As for recruiting, thank goodness we avoided that Jetta kid in the draft, it looks almost predictable that he will be a star with pace and a thumping accurate kick, there would be no place for him at the blues!

http://www.talkingcarlton.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=27479&start=140

How funny is all that.  Almost like an average day on OER!   :lol

Offline MADTIGER2010

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2010, 09:40:44 AM »
Bower is a very underrated footballer. Was very good last year for the Blues as a midsized defender.

Apart from that though the Blues have been very ordinary. Just 4 goals in 3 quarters and making a heap of basic mistakes. Even Walls has called them a rabble  :lol
hes hardly a mid sized defender. at 192cm and 92kg hes as big as any kpd we have. hes a tall running defender who will probably get the likes of franklin because of his running ability.
i saw a bit of him at peel and liked him  as a junior. watching him match up on the likes of josh kennedy was worth going to watch.

A whopping 2kg bigger than Mcguane who's the same height  8)

the claw

« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2010, 10:39:08 AM »

yep and hes a running defender not kp.do you think mcguane a better running defender than bower.as i said hes bigger than any kpd we have and hes a runner.
your trouble is you keep confusing height weight issues with ability and the skills required to play certain positions.
and i know its splitting hairs but mcguame has been listed at 191 basically his whole career. the last time i looked he was still under 90kg and he looks it.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 11:03:21 AM by the claw »

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2010, 01:19:32 PM »
Am I correct in remembering Bower being a terrible kick?

Offline MADTIGER2010

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2010, 01:58:35 PM »

yep and hes a running defender not kp.do you think mcguane a better running defender than bower.as i said hes bigger than any kpd we have and hes a runner.
your trouble is you keep confusing height weight issues with ability and the skills required to play certain positions.
and i know its splitting hairs but mcguame has been listed at 191 basically his whole career. the last time i looked he was still under 90kg and he looks it.

Mcguane>Bower. He plays KPP on better opponents every week. If he got the chance to play as a recieving flanker, I'm sure he'd do a decent job of it too  8)

Offline Danog

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2010, 02:48:50 PM »
MT, Bower is better than McGuane.  He's extremely under-rated.

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2010, 06:15:56 PM »
Well we won't have to worry about Fisher playing he has done his ACL.....

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/89738/default.aspx
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

the claw

« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2010, 12:24:43 AM »

Mcguane>Bower. He plays KPP on better opponents every week. If he got the chance to play as a recieving flanker, I'm sure he'd do a decent job of it too  8)
and here i was thinking there was some sort of consensus on several threads  about mcguane not being a kp.so hes a kp  now. or should i say again so what kpds is he in front of.he must be right up there apparently he plays on all the good players.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2010, 08:07:30 AM »

and here i was thinking there was some sort of consensus on several threads  about mcguane not being a kp.so hes a kp  now. or should i say again so what kpds is he in front of.he must be right up there apparently he plays on all the good players.

Read the post Claw.  The poster didn't say he should be a KPP - just that he has been playing as a KPP.  A big difference.  I discussed that very thing yesterday - the Wallace regime's ineptitude saw him forced to play that role even though it meant he was boxing out of his weight division many times.  Apples for apples.

Offline MADTIGER2010

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2010, 11:44:16 AM »

Read the post Claw.  The poster didn't say he should be a KPP - just that he has been playing as a KPP.  A big difference.  I discussed that very thing yesterday - the Wallace regime's ineptitude saw him forced to play that role even though it meant he was boxing out of his weight division many times.  Apples for apples.

Correct. He does a pretty good job as KPP too.

the claw

« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2010, 12:15:42 AM »

geez i have to be a mind reader now.  i read the post and he didnt say he wasnt a kpp. in fact the inference was he was. how did it go oh yeah. he plays kp on better players every week.
i still dont see anywhere your assertion that people on here dont think mcguane a kp.

lets simplify this. the rfc has played all of moore, mcguane, and thursfield in the key posts. my opinion is only one of those players could become a long term kp for us who regularly meets the required standard.and imo hes also in the gun.
 its also my opinion  only one has the tools to be a decent tall running defender and he too needs to extract a digit.

it leaves one out in the cold because he doesnt have the tools to do either at the required standard even though he has put together some good games as a kp. no money for guessing who is out in the cold imo.

to make it even more simple all three of mcguane moore and thursfield cannot play  in the one team as negating kpds.especially not if post gourdis and rance are to get games.

imo rance mcguane and gourdis  are the last ones you want with ball in hand coming out of the backline. even if all three were half dcent kicks and they are not they still lack precision and penetration with their footkills. they just dont stack up to other players in this regard and they are part of a problem that has plagued the club for far to long.

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2010, 12:36:23 AM »
What is this thread about again?? Fair enough talking about our backline against the Blues forward line come round one but it seems to have digressed into a McGuane debate.
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

the claw

« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2010, 12:56:33 AM »
well we can thank the  imbecilic mt2010 for that. some have to defend their favorites no matter what.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2010, 06:34:58 PM »
i watched first 3/4s of Sydney v Carlton last night.

Carlton forward line is an abortion. if we cannot beat these spastics i will cry