Author Topic: Boardroom tickets finalised - Miller to run on Casey's ticket  (Read 25278 times)

Offline Puntroadroar

• Premiership Captain
  • Our Very own Top Gun
Re: Boardroom tickets finalised - Miller to run on Casey's ticket
« Reply #75 on: December 06, 2004, 03:39:35 PM »
Add Schwab, Welsh and Wood to that list and I'd agree with you to some degree 1980

but let me tell you there is no way in hell I'd want those 3 names above back on the Richmond board.

and if this election is all about "Unity" then if I have to vote Casey then so be it.

but my pen will not come anywhere near those three boxes for those three buttheads named in the first line.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2004, 03:43:15 PM by Puntroadroar »
There's no I in team, but there is 5 i's in Individual Brilliance.

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #76 on: December 06, 2004, 03:59:23 PM »
1980, also, apart form the Alt. group, who says the club is bleeding?  That’s not the picture that has been painted by the AFL.  So I don’t understand all the drama and hype the Alt group is creating.  It just seems like scare mongering people into thinking the Club is in worse situation that it actually is, just to get votes.
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #77 on: December 06, 2004, 04:04:16 PM »
Well well - I just heard on the 4.00pm news that Operation Recovery has withdrawn its nominations for the Hawthorn board.......

Thougth I'd post it - not that it would ever happen with us :help
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #78 on: December 06, 2004, 04:08:02 PM »
There's more chance of us winning the 2005 Premiership, I think WP.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
We've got the media to ourselves now :(
« Reply #79 on: December 06, 2004, 04:32:44 PM »
Yep the challengers at Hawthorn have given up. Too late for us though as the election and nominations have been all set.

The infighting at Richmond has been going on well before Casey, Miller, Schwab and Macek were on the scene. The names may change but the deep seated problem doesn't. Non-elected but influential supporter groups wielding their power over the whole Club by helping the group they support into power before a couple of years later turning on them and supporting a new group when the first lot obviously don't live up to their wishful thinking promises. Then later on this new group is forced out for another lot of challengers. This continues infinitum and all we are left to do as a Club is go around in circles for two decades. We have been crap for 20 years because we have egos and snipers within the Club who by their selfish, reckless and impatient actions undermine our Club. We are our own worst enemy  :'(.

This is why I support Miller. He's trying to eliminate this cancerous culture which seemingly appears to be epidemic within our Club. Enough is enough! :banghead.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

froars

« Reply #80 on: December 06, 2004, 06:16:00 PM »
Channel nine news tonight says one of the candidates Justin Ridge, if he got elected, would stand aside for Rex if he chose to come on board.
Rex not interested.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Job guarantee fails to influence Miller
« Reply #81 on: December 07, 2004, 05:10:05 AM »
Job guarantee fails to influence Miller
By Stephen Rielly
The Age
December 7, 2004

An attempt to neutralise Clinton Casey's strongest hope of retaining control of Richmond was short-lived yesterday, with football director and Casey candidate Greg Miller dismissing the offer of protection for his position in the event of election defeat.

Miller described the guarantee of his tenure as head of the Richmond football department, written and posted yesterday by the head of the challenging Big 4 ticket, Charles Macek, as electioneering that did not change his own view of his future if Casey and his team were ousted.

"I've made my future very clear. My future is certain. I know nothing about this letter but the election result will determine whether or not I'm still there," Miller said.

"I haven't seen the letter. I haven't spoken to or met Charles Macek and at this time of year, in these sorts of circumstances, I don't think it's unusual or unexpected for a little electioneering.

"I will say, though, that I was very disappointed to hear him say the other day that I had let Richmond down by agreeing to support Clinton. For me, this is all about Richmond."

Miller's credibility as an astute football mind became central to the looming Tiger election last week when he agreed to join the Richmond president's incumbent ticket.

Macek remained critical of Miller's decision to seek a position on the board and effectively politicise his football role, something he says he will contest if Miller wins a seat at the board table alongside the Big 4 group.

Macek said Miller ought to remain as football director no matter the outcome of the election. "We're giving him absolute certainty, an absolute assurance that we want him in the role of director of football," Macek said.

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2004/12/06/1102182224314.html
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Miller given a 24-hour ultimatum
« Reply #82 on: December 07, 2004, 10:59:41 AM »
Miller given a 24-hour ultimatum

07 December 2004   Herald Sun
Jon Pierik

THE battle for Punt Rd raged on yesterday when Greg Miller was given a 24-hour deadline to withdraw his nomination for the Richmond board.

And independent candidate Justin Ridge said he would vacate his spot for club legend Rex Hunt provided he wins a seat after the December 22 elections.

Ridge, 35, a chartered accountant and lifelong Tigers supporter, says Hunt has plenty to offer the Tigers.

Hunt had hoped to join the ticket of incumbent president Clinton Casey last month but the plan was scuttled when it was revealed he wasn't even a member of the club.

"This is just another option for Richmond members," Ridge told the Herald Sun.

"If Rex is available, I'll move aside. I've pledged that."

Hunt last night said he had a lot to offer the Tigers, but hoped he wouldn't have to accept Ridge's offer.

"That's a bit like queue-jumping, I hope it doesn't get to that," he told 3AW.

Hunt said he was happy to work with either Casey or rival Charles Macek.

Ridge's offer came as the Macek group delivered a letter by courier to Miller yesterday afternoon, asking the Tigers' director of football to reconsider his decision to join the Casey ticket.

But Miller, who was in Mildura and hadn't seen the letter, last night delivered an emphatic response.

"I made my decision for the right reasons and I've said them all along," Miller said.

"Macek has said that I've let Richmond people down by going with Clinton Casey.

"I thought it would be the opposite. Joining the Clinton Casey board was for the Richmond people, because I feel so strongly about it."

Miller decided last week to align himself with Casey, prompting conflict of interest accusations. If the Macek ticket claims power, it seems almost certain Miller, who started to overhaul the Tigers' football department two years ago, would be lost to the club.

The alternative board is keen to retain his football nous, a desire reinforced by their decision to hand out an "olive branch". "We are asking him in the interests of the Richmond Football Club, first and foremost, to commit to the coach and players and to his plan," Macek said.

"If he withdraws his nomination for the board, which under the constitution you are entitled to do until December 10, we would give him an absolute undertaking that his role is secure."

If the Casey ticket loses, Miller will be out the door.

"We are asking him to do this for the young players he has brought to the club," Macek said. "He can't stay on the board and work in the club. That's untenable, unheard of."

As football director, Miller has to report to chief executive Steve Wright but, if elected on to the board, Miller would have a say in, if necessary, sacking Wright. Wright, in return, would find himself having to report to Miller in his board role.

If elected, Miller, who works closely with new coach Terry Wallace, would also have a vote in determining Wallace's fate.

Ridge, who will release his campaign brochure today, is one of two independents running for a seat on the board.

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,11612261%255E20322,00.html
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #83 on: December 07, 2004, 12:40:38 PM »
If the Casey ticket loses, Miller will be out the door.

"We are asking him to do this for the young players he has brought to the club," Macek said. "He can't stay on the board and work in the club. That's untenable, unheard of."

Who says Miller would stay on the Board, long-term, anyway?

If the way they run their campaign is an indication of how they would run the Club …

Why do they always need someone or something to blame when things go wrong?

And if it’s not blaming someone, they need the rules changed, because they never seem to suit them.  Funny about that.

Offline 1980

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #84 on: December 07, 2004, 01:39:12 PM »
1980, you seriously believe that we have only had problems at this Club for the last 5 years?

No need to tell us about what has happend, we know, but just wanting to know what you thought of the time before that.  Were you happy with those times?

We had problems for more than 5 years, but each time the club president did the honourable thing by the club.

What I believe is that Neville Crowe was a good man that did his best by the club. When the club was at its lowest point, he did what he could to ensure we survived. We were a horror to watch, but at least the club survived. Crowe then moved on with honor when the time was right after 5 years in charge.

Leon Daphne strengthened the club's finances and increased memberships. He made some mistakes regarding coaching appointments, and he then also did the honoroubale thing after 5 years in charge. Passed the baton on.

Both men put the club ahead of themselves.

Clinton Casey on the other hand is putting himself before the club. Politicising Greg Miller will have repurcussions for the next 5 years. As far as a lot of supporters were concerned, Greg Miller was the one good thing about the club in an otherwise miserable 2 seasons, and above any criticism. And a lot of them now are saying Miller's credibility is tainted, his aura is diminished, and his decision to put Casey's job ahead of everything else by signing up for his ticket, will haunt him for as long as he's at the RFC. He is now just another political player in the Punt Rd circus.

Casey may win his election by putting Miller on his ticket, but he has damaged Miller in the process. And Miller will no longer have the authority with the supporters he had before. A couple of losses next year and we'll be turning on him just like we did Frawley.

And that is the single worst thing that Casey has done in his mad obsessesion to cling to the job. Damaged Miller!

Offline 1980

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #85 on: December 07, 2004, 01:41:19 PM »
Add Schwab, Welsh and Wood to that list and I'd agree with you to some degree 1980

but let me tell you there is no way in hell I'd want those 3 names above back on the Richmond board.

and if this election is all about "Unity" then if I have to vote Casey then so be it.

but my pen will not come anywhere near those three boxes for those three buttheads named in the first line.

On this we can agree PRR. No Welsh, Schwab or Casey. Damaged goods the lot of them. I wont be voting for any of them.

Our argument however is who has done more damage to the club in the past 5 years. Casey has been in charge and should resign his post if he had any honor about him.

Offline bg25

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #86 on: December 07, 2004, 02:02:31 PM »
[

As far as a lot of supporters were concerned, Greg Miller was the one good thing about the club in an otherwise miserable 2 seasons, and above any criticism. And a lot of them now are saying Miller's credibility is tainted, his aura is diminished, and his decision to put Casey's job ahead of everything else by signing up for his ticket, will haunt him for as long as he's at the RFC. He is now just another political player in the Punt Rd circus.

Casey may win his election by putting Miller on his ticket, but he has damaged Miller in the process. And Miller will no longer have the authority with the supporters he had before. A couple of losses next year and we'll be turning on him just like we did Frawley.

And that is the single worst thing that Casey has done in his mad obsessesion to cling to the job. Damaged Miller!

I for one don't think Miller has diminished his credibility at all  in fact I think he has enhanced it. He has shown himself to be someone who is prepared to put himself on the line for something he believes in. has a history of this in fact!

How many times does Miller have to say that it was his decision to stand and that he approached Casey, not the other way around. Why do people persist in the lie that Casey has forced him to stand. I think the one thing people should be able to agree on is that Greg Miller is his own man.

People forget that he took himself out of the running for the AFL job (even though he stated that it was something that he'd like to do) because he had made a commitment to the RFC and wanted to see it through.

If you spoke to the man, you'd know it was his decision.

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #87 on: December 07, 2004, 03:07:54 PM »
We had problems for more than 5 years, but each time the club president did the honourable thing by the club.

What I believe is that Neville Crowe was a good man that did his best by the club. When the club was at its lowest point, he did what he could to ensure we survived. We were a horror to watch, but at least the club survived. Crowe then moved on with honor when the time was right after 5 years in charge.

Leon Daphne strengthened the club's finances and increased memberships. He made some mistakes regarding coaching appointments, and he then also did the honoroubale thing after 5 years in charge. Passed the baton on.

Clinton Casey on the other hand is putting himself before the club.

I’m not all that familiar with Neville Crowe’s time as Prez., but the difference I see between Daphne and Casey is that Daphne’s time was up, because he didn’t know how to take the Club any further (i.e. he didn’t know what was wrong with the place, so couldn’t fix anything).  Time to move on, for anyone.

On the other hand, Casey, despite his flaws and all the mistakes, has at least shown that he sees there are problems.  These problems would make it impossible for any Board to have the sort of impact Boards do at other Clubs.  He at least is doing something about them.

Were Casey to get to the point where Daphne was at when he moved aside, I would totally agree with you that he should go.  But he doesn’t seem to be at the point where he has no answers.  And to me, the Club doesn’t appear to be stagnant, as it was 5 years ago.

Apart from anything else, the opposition is worse than the disease.  But people want to make this about the last 5 years when that just shows a lack of understanding of the depths of the problems within the Club.

Re Miller, if people decide that this harms his reputation, then I guess it does.  But I agree with bg25.  I don’t think any of this has damaged his reputation at all.  He wouldn’t make such a stance for no good reason.

Offline 1980

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #88 on: December 07, 2004, 04:36:31 PM »

Clinton Casey on the other hand is putting himself before the club.

I’m not all that familiar with Neville Crowe’s time as Prez., but the difference I see between Daphne and Casey is that Daphne’s time was up, because he didn’t know how to take the Club any further (i.e. he didn’t know what was wrong with the place, so couldn’t fix anything).  Time to move on, for anyone.

On the other hand, Casey, despite his flaws and all the mistakes, has at least shown that he sees there are problems.  These problems would make it impossible for any Board to have the sort of impact Boards do at other Clubs.  He at least is doing something about them.

Sorry TS, this post confirms that you are a Casey supporter more than you are a RFC supporter.

The guy's been there for 5 years. He JUST figured out there are problems? Any RFC supporter, could tell him from Day 1 of year 1 there were problems. Does the man not listen to his members? Does he not read the papers which love to tell the footy public what a shocker we are. You've been posting here we've been crap for 20 not 5 years. Well he'd know that if he wasnt busy following the bombers for the past 20 years.

You cannot argue a plan put haphazardly together in the past 3 months and for the purpose of winning an election as something that overrides 5 years of incompetence, failure, financial losses, and like Daphne, failed coaching decisions.

He lacks honor. He lacks a genuine love for the RFC. His ego is all that matters to him in all this.

Leon Daphne failed in the end, but he also took the club forward financially. Clinton Casey will be known for winning an election, but taking the club backwards.

Offline 1980

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #89 on: December 07, 2004, 04:39:43 PM »
[

As far as a lot of supporters were concerned, Greg Miller was the one good thing about the club in an otherwise miserable 2 seasons, and above any criticism. And a lot of them now are saying Miller's credibility is tainted, his aura is diminished, and his decision to put Casey's job ahead of everything else by signing up for his ticket, will haunt him for as long as he's at the RFC. He is now just another political player in the Punt Rd circus.

I for one don't think Miller has diminished his credibility at all  in fact I think he has enhanced it. He has shown himself to be someone who is prepared to put himself on the line for something he believes in. has a history of this in fact!

How many times does Miller have to say that it was his decision to stand and that he approached Casey, not the other way around. Why do people persist in the lie that Casey has forced him to stand. I think the one thing people should be able to agree on is that Greg Miller is his own man.

People forget that he took himself out of the running for the AFL job (even though he stated that it was something that he'd like to do) because he had made a commitment to the RFC and wanted to see it through.

If you spoke to the man, you'd know it was his decision.

And what he believes in is winning a wooden spoon and losing $2.3m. That's the record he's putting his neck on the line to defend? If that's the case, he had no credibility to begin with.

Sorry, but you jump into the political circus, you're one of the clowns. Miller had respect, now he is one of the many political monkies.