Author Topic: Tom Derickx [merged]  (Read 29839 times)

Online eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Pick 63. Tom Derickx
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2010, 07:17:27 AM »
Glad we went for a tall. Hope you really becomes a good player at the club

Offline Oiafi

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Against logic there is no armour like ignorance.
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2010, 07:24:13 AM »
Every time I look at his name the first thing that springs to mind is the film Zoolander and that stupid fashion line "Derelict".  :rollin

Just watched his extended highlight package. Looks a big lump of a lad who has pretty good awareness of where his team mates are and is happy to use his big body to crash a pack or two. Just when I was thinking he might be a bit slow watched him run down a couple of much smaller, quicker looking guys. Knows how to lay a tackle, take a mark and looks pretty agile below his knees. Watch out Angus Graham. Gee I hope these highlights really are a good indication of how well he can play.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2010, 10:11:01 AM »
Mobile for a big man isn't he? Doesnt look like short steps are in his makeup, takes a mark, has good awareness, tackles and doesn't look at the opposition ruckman during ruck contests.

Could turn out to be a very astute pick. If he can step up could be our no. 1 ruck by the end of next year.

“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2010, 10:20:16 AM »
Sounds like this bloke is a bit of a gun

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2010, 12:07:34 PM »
No 1 ruck is there for the taking if he wants it

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2010, 05:06:13 PM »
Every time I look at his name the first thing that springs to mind is the film Zoolander and that stupid fashion line "Derelict".  :rollin

Just watched his extended highlight package. Looks a big lump of a lad who has pretty good awareness of where his team mates are and is happy to use his big body to crash a pack or two. Just when I was thinking he might be a bit slow watched him run down a couple of much smaller, quicker looking guys. Knows how to lay a tackle, take a mark and looks pretty agile below his knees. Watch out Angus Graham. Gee I hope these highlights really are a good indication of how well he can play.

Best line from that film was 'you can derelict my balls zoolander'
But on a serious note, this fella looks like a big solid bastard who wont be gettin pushed off a marking contest too easily, looks like we lucked in here.  Recruiting has really taken a turn for the better, were not recruiting whippets anymore.  If we happened to shaft Essendon in the bargain, oh that cheers me no end, imagine that, shafting em over Bachar and this guy in the same trade/draft period.  I could sing tip toe through the tulips in falsetto for joy.
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2010, 05:20:17 PM »
Owl I hope so too and I would join you in Acappella.  :whistle Our first Gig..... The Ascot Vale Hotel!  ;D

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2010, 06:00:46 PM »
haha, remember to wear helmet and body armor imo
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2010, 11:32:22 PM »
Inside Football summary

TOM DERICKX
ruckman
Claremont, WA
Born: 7/12/87
Ht: 200cm
Wt: 100kg
"Tom played every game in the seniors for us (after playing reserves in 2009) and tested really well at the state screening. He's a big boy who just got better and better as the year dragged on. A versatile ruckman who can play forward and he's the type who would only keep improving in an AFL system. Moves well, he can jump, he's a good tackier for his size and we're expecting big things from him." -Claremont football manager Dean Horsington

WAFL 2010 stats for Claremont...

M   Gls Bhds Kicks  Mks HBalls  FF  FA    HO    HS    
22  10   4      112    63  108      26    37    330    2

http://www.sportingpulse.com/nf/team_info.cgi?player=Tom%20Derickx&action=PSTATS&pID=189682877&client=1-2393-0-104286-4320169

Derickx was also named 3rd best player for Claremont in the WAFL Grand Final in their one point lose to Swan Districts.

http://www.sportingpulse.com/nf/round_info.cgi?a=MATCH&fixture=104199781&c=1-2393-0-104286-0&pool=1001

« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 06:39:43 AM by one-eyed »

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2010, 09:36:42 PM »

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tom has the X-factor (RFC)
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2010, 12:32:33 PM »
Tom has the X-factor
By Tony Greenberg
richmondfc.com.au
Wed 24 Nov, 2010

Tom Derickx still has plenty of growth in him . . .

For someone who’s nearly 23 years old, and stands 201cm tall, that statement may seem a tad strange.

The growth in this instance, however, refers to his football development. 

Derickx, who was selected by Richmond at pick 63 overall in last week’s National Draft, is a late bloomer.

Up until a couple of years ago, he was playing football for the Augusta-Margaret River club in Western Australia’s South West League.

The talent scouts at WAFL club Claremont liked what they saw in the big bloke and, at the end of 2008, he moved to Perth to play with the WA Tigers.

He spent the 2009 season in Claremont’s reserves, before making his senior debut with the club in the opening round this year.

Claremont smashed Peel Thunder by 110 points, with Derickx producing an impressive first-up display in senior WAFL ranks.

Here’s how veteran WA sports writer, Ken Casellas, described Derickx’s debut . .

“The 22-year-old Derickx has improved at a remarkable rate since making his first appearance for the Tigers last year in the reserves competition.  Tall, willowy and possessing a splendid leap, Derickx was pitted against the well-credentialled Daniel Murray, a WA under-18 representative in 2008 and a rookie with the Brisbane Lions last year.

Derickx, extremely mobile for a 200cm ruckman, showed excellent technique at the bounce-downs and boundary throw-ins to win 23 knocks.  He also took three marks, had nine kicks and made seven effective handpasses . . .”

For the rest of the season, Derickx was a solid contributor in Claremont’s re-emergence as a force in the WAFL competition, culminating in its nail-biting loss to Swan Districts in the grand final.

Claremont’s football manager, Dean Horsington, is convinced Derickx has the necessary attributes to make the grade at the game’s highest level.

“He has very good athleticism for such a tall player . . .he covers the ground well, he reads the play well, and he does a lot of the hard things, like tackling and chasing.  His work ethic is really good,” Horsington said.

“Character-wise, he’s outstanding.  He’s one of the most genuine players we had at the club.  He worked as a builder . . . he got fully qualified after moving away from home, and did it the hard way, with not a lot of money.

“To his considerable credit, he’s got himself in a good position to improve as a footballer.  He managed to do the extra sessions in the gym and on the track.  Football-wise, he just didn’t miss a beat, really.

“The real upside for Tom is that he’s just got a lot more improvement in him.  That’s the beauty of him.

“Getting him in the AFL system now, with the development he’ll receive, I think he’ll just keep improving.

“He’s going to be quite exciting . . .”

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/6301/newsid/105577/default.aspx

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2011, 03:37:13 PM »
In another injury blow for Richmond, mature-age WA ruck recruit , Tom Derickx, suffered an ankle fracture playing for Coburg seniors  in the VFL last weekend.

“Unfortunately, Tommy landed awkwardly coming down and crunched the ankle, which cracked the inside of the ankle,” Hornsby said.

“So, he’ll be operated on . . . and we’ll know a little bit more about the prognosis once we speak to the surgeon post-surgery.”

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/6301/newsid/116311/default.aspx

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2011, 04:02:15 PM »
In another injury blow for Richmond, mature-age WA ruck recruit , Tom Derickx, suffered an ankle fracture playing for Coburg seniors  in the VFL last weekend.

“Unfortunately, Tommy landed awkwardly coming down and crunched the ankle, which cracked the inside of the ankle,” Hornsby said.

“So, he’ll be operated on . . . and we’ll know a little bit more about the prognosis once we speak to the surgeon post-surgery.”

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/6301/newsid/116311/default.aspx

Would be surprised if he plays again this season

Really what's the point?

Take you time with these things Tigers
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2011, 04:04:42 PM »
In another injury blow for Richmond, mature-age WA ruck recruit , Tom Derickx, suffered an ankle fracture playing for Coburg seniors  in the VFL last weekend.

FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRR
RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!

We needed that like a hole in the head!  :banghead :banghead

Offline tiger101

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2011, 05:16:58 PM »
Very unfortunate for the big Tommy.
Hopefully we have better luck with injuries next year.