Author Topic: Tom Derickx [merged]  (Read 29590 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tom Derickx [merged]
« on: November 18, 2010, 08:00:00 PM »
Tom Derickx

Player statistics

* Former club:Claremont / Margaret River
    * DOB:07/12/1987
    * Height:201cm
    * Weight:100kg
    * Position:Ruckman

Video: http://bigpondvideo.com/AFL/305399/tom-derickx/

Player assessment

Two-metre tall ruckman with impressive strength. Managed 23 hit-outs on debut for the Claremont Tigers in May 2010, as well as a goal.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 11:32:54 PM by one-eyed »

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
Re: Pick 63. Tom Derickx
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010, 08:02:12 PM »
Ruckman sounds impressive anyone know anything about him?
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010, 08:06:04 PM »
Apparently can play forward as well according to SEN so will complement the new interchange rule. They were quite positive about him as a footy player

Ramps

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2010, 08:08:32 PM »
23 yo - wheres he been the last 5 years?

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2010, 08:09:23 PM »
Welcome Tom. :thumbsup

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2010, 08:42:20 PM »

Ramps

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2010, 08:48:30 PM »
Tom Derrickx looks like quite a handy big bloke. Highlights actually pretty good. Pretty mobile for a big guy and shows good aggression and has a decent leap as well.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2010, 09:19:42 PM »
Impressive really - must be his age that pushed this bloke through intot the later rounds. Ready made ruckman to keep immediate pressure on Gus.

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2010, 09:39:01 PM »
Impressive really - must be his age that pushed this bloke through intot the later rounds. Ready made ruckman to keep immediate pressure on Gus.

Not only Gus but Browne as well. A little bit of healthy competition. :thumbsup

Offline sabartooth

• Big Griff's Official Mentor !
  • Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2010, 09:55:07 PM »
 the big T-Rex   8)
2 years into a 35 year plan

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2010, 10:03:41 PM »
2010 National Draft - Tom Derickx Pick 63

DOB: 7/12/87
Height: 201cm
Weight: 100kg
Club: Claremont

WATCH TOM DERICKX HIGHLIGHTS: http://www.richmondfc.com.au/roarvisionarchive/tabid/11454/contentid/314441/default.aspx

What the recruiters say:
Tom is an athletic ruckman who is very creative with his tap work and has excellent mobility around the ground. His second efforts at ground level and his ability to chase and tackle are a real feature and his movement enables him to go forward and be effective as a lead up forward. He is also a good kick both in general play and goal kicking.

Tom is a late developer who was playing in Margaret River until the end of 2008 when he moved to Perth and signed with Claremont.  He played in the reserves in 2009 but blossomed this year after a strong pre season and a late growth spurt which saw him grow to over 200cm. Tom had a solid season as a ruck/forward playing all year in the league side and was a strong contributor in their narrow grand final loss.

While Tom is 22 we feel he is very early in his development phase and in a full time environment will blossom with his natural athletic and football traits and we look forward to him growing and improving at the Richmond Football Club.

In his own words:

What type of player are you?

I am an agile tap ruckman, with strong marking ability and a willingness to work and get back to help the defenders. I can also offer a dangerous option up forward.

Which AFL player do you feel you resemble and why?
Patrick Ryder and David Hille.  They are both athletic and versatile, providing a dangerous option up forward and around the ground. My tap work is my focus, in this regard Darren Jolly has been influential.

What are your strengths as a footballer?
I am a left-handed tap ruckman, this can be seen as strength as it adds variety. I believe I have good mobility for my size and the confidence to beat my opponent.  I also consider my marking skills to be one of my strengths.

What parts of your game would you like to improve?
I am currently working to improve my conditioning, speed and fitness can continually be improved. A focus for me this year has been my second and third efforts and contested marking.  Both of these areas have become more evident in my game, but there’s still room for further improvement.

Which AFL team do you support and how did you come to barrack for them?
West Coast Eagles - my dad was a mad Eagles fan so I grew up supporting them.  I now have a few friends playing in WA and interstate teams, so I tend to support them rather than the teams.

Who has been the biggest influence on your career so far, and why?
My parents, especially my dad Rick, have been the biggest influence on me. The support and advice that they have given me throughout my career has been inspirational.

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/News/2010NationalDraftNews/TomDerickx/tabid/15509/Default.aspx

tony_montana

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2010, 10:07:13 PM »
I'm really happy with this pick  :clapping- this is the exact type of ruck I was calling for last year instead of keeping simmonds on. Doesnt have to be a world beater, just a big fit mature body entering his prime, who can give our rucks a cut out and who knows what else? Most rucks dont mature until about 23-24 anyhow. Never seen him but like what I've read, strong, athletic, can take a grab - fills a list need.

Welcome to the tiges Tom!

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2010, 10:16:11 PM »
Certainly a bit to like about his highlights.  Hope that's indicative of what he is capable of - the exposure to AFL standard development can only help.  Nothing wrong with this pick given our current list state.

Offline Loui Tufga

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Beaver BLT
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2010, 12:41:12 AM »
This guy will have a Cult following sooner rather than later, mark my words...........

Offline Danog

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2010, 02:29:45 AM »
A ruckman that actually chases!

Let's go Alphabet!  :gotigers