Author Topic: Angus Graham - 2011 expectations?  (Read 6596 times)

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Angus Graham - 2011 expectations?
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2011, 09:34:35 PM »
Contested marking is also very important. I don't think Gus offers anywhere near enough in that area...

Spot on

Also don't think from a defensive viewpoint he gets back to oppositions goal line as much as he should to protect that space and make a contest
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Fluffy Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes I was realy born in Richmond
    • Canning A.R.T.S.
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2011, 10:43:07 AM »
I think it is make or break for Gus next season. Might not seem like it but he's in strife if Vickery, the new dude and Browne get picked over him. Only 22 games is acceptable from Graham.

I do agree that is make or break for Gus this year but mainly because of the fact that we have 4 young rucks and the fact they changed the interchange rule. I have seen so many rucks get palmed off or traded just to go on and hit their straps at other teams, I am willing to give the big Guy a go for this season at least. Lets hope its his breakout year and we all wondered why we questioned him.

And BTW I am more worried about Vickery, Gus was a rookie, Vickery was our first round pick (pick 8 I think). He needs to show some improvement this season.
Here , kitty kitty. Here , kitty kitty.   AAAUGH!

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2011, 10:56:36 AM »
Fair enough  :thumbsup

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2011, 05:07:25 PM »
And BTW I am more worried about Vickery, Gus was a rookie, Vickery was our first round pick (pick 8 I think). He needs to show some improvement this season.

Vickery hs only two seasons under his belt and is over 4 years younger than Gus so stop worrying Fluffy and give him a couple more years.. :thumbsup

the claw

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2011, 10:52:32 PM »
I think it is make or break for Gus next season. Might not seem like it but he's in strife if Vickery, the new dude and Browne get picked over him. Only 22 games is acceptable from Graham.

I do agree that is make or break for Gus this year but mainly because of the fact that we have 4 young rucks and the fact they changed the interchange rule. I have seen so many rucks get palmed off or traded just to go on and hit their straps at other teams, I am willing to give the big Guy a go for this season at least. Lets hope its his breakout year and we all wondered why we questioned him.

is that right bloody hell no wonder we are all labelled as ferals and impatient.
just where do you think vickery should improve. to me at coburg hes a skinny yes very skinny kid whos 200cmplus and had just 2 yrs. have you even stopped to consider that just perhaps he has done well to get the games hes got.
i tell ya what unlike graham  when hes 100 plus kg  and played his fair share of games against men come and tell me hes no good.  you may be right but until at the least  he can compete physically and on an even footing with more experienced ruckman may i suggest patience is the catchcry.

and yep i have concerns about vickery but ffs where he was taken has absolutely nothing to do with those concerns.  sheesh why is it people expect athletic skinny runts to compete against athletic monsters. shouldnt we wait until they at least have the physical attributes to even compete before we start demanding performance.

Offline Fluffy Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes I was realy born in Richmond
    • Canning A.R.T.S.
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2011, 05:30:56 PM »
All I said is he is more of a worry to me than Graham and that I think he needs to show some improvemnt this season, I didnt say I expect him to dominate or as you say "compete against athletic monsters". To me he hasnt shown so far what they must have saw in him to pick him at number 8. He looked lost up foward to me I will say it again "he needs to show some improvement".

Improvement is a fair request, even I think his coaches would be asking for that not just us ("Ferals")

Here , kitty kitty. Here , kitty kitty.   AAAUGH!

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2011, 02:24:03 AM »
Contested marking is also very important. I don't think Gus offers anywhere near enough in that area...

Spot on

Also don't think from a defensive viewpoint he gets back to oppositions goal line as much as he should to protect that space and make a contest

Yep. Conceded plenty of goals last year from set shots where the ball fell short and the presence of a ruckman would have resulted in the ball being touched through, marked or at worse back into a contested situation in the field of play.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2011, 08:52:41 AM »
 I think that ruckmen are often under instruction not to get back to the goal line so they are ready to create an option for the kick out if there is a point. Now that they dont have wait for the flags to be waved there is not time for the ruckmen to run from the goal square to CHF (or there abouts) before the kick is taken.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2011, 11:34:17 AM »
I think that ruckmen are often under instruction not to get back to the goal line so they are ready to create an option for the kick out if there is a point. Now that they dont have wait for the flags to be waved there is not time for the ruckmen to run from the goal square to CHF (or there abouts) before the kick is taken.

Good point Al.  Bit of 'damned if you do, damned if you don't'.  Unless of course, you have the speed and stamina of a De Castella!!

Online Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2011, 12:02:02 AM »
I think Gus is criticized unfairly. His season was at least 'serviceable' and he can definitely still improve. I like that he has trimmed down a little over summer.
I have seen enough snippets of skill and athleticism from Vicks to be patient with him.  :pray

I dont get this argument that I hear sometimes about the ruck not being an important position, or 'you only need an average ruckman' argument.
Hog-wash! It is a pivotal position. A quality ruckman is akin to an extra midfielder.We wouldnt be happy if one of our midfielders was just 'average.' A ruckman that can take marks around the ground and kick a couple of sausage rolls is incredibly valuable.
Why do you think Collingwood went so hard after Jolly?

I feel that its a very important position and one in which we can use the rookie system to great advantage, if our scouts are proficient, a la Big Cox and hopefully Gus.

:police:

(ps, If I dont reply its because im somewhere in India pooting fire-water, hoo-roo.)

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2011, 12:38:04 AM »
What the stuff are you doing here? Go back to you know where and play with the children

Yes, a quality ruckman is important...which is why we need the Big V and BrownE to develop quickly :shh

Ox

« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2011, 02:00:04 AM »
I think Gus is criticized unfairly. His season was at least 'serviceable' and he can definitely still improve. I like that he has trimmed down a little over summer.
I have seen enough snippets of skill and athleticism from Vicks to be patient with him.  :pray

I dont get this argument that I hear sometimes about the ruck not being an important position, or 'you only need an average ruckman' argument.
Hog-wash! It is a pivotal position. A quality ruckman is akin to an extra midfielder.We wouldnt be happy if one of our midfielders was just 'average.' A ruckman that can take marks around the ground and kick a couple of sausage rolls is incredibly valuable.
Why do you think Collingwood went so hard after Jolly?

I feel that its a very important position and one in which we can use the rookie system to great advantage, if our scouts are proficient, a la Big Cox and hopefully Gus.

:police:

(ps, If I dont reply its because im somewhere in India pooting fire-water, hoo-roo.)

wtf said ruck isnt an important position??

They need to be tied up and peeed on. :police:

Most important role in a team which is why we got rodgered last year as we played our developing kid rucks.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2011, 08:24:01 AM »
i think it may have been the MAD one who said that.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

the claw

« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2011, 04:31:58 PM »
All I said is he is more of a worry to me than Graham and that I think he needs to show some improvemnt this season, I didnt say I expect him to dominate or as you say "compete against athletic monsters". To me he hasnt shown so far what they must have saw in him to pick him at number 8. He looked lost up foward to me I will say it again "he needs to show some improvement".

Improvement is a fair request, even I think his coaches would be asking for that not just us ("Ferals")

if he were to play at coburg all season and have a very good yr would you call that improvement. because the reality is that is where he should have been thus far. and that is probably where he should play a half two thirds of his footy this season.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2011, 02:06:59 AM »
I liked Gus's game last night. Continually was able to work his way to the front position against McEvoy for the clean-ish hitout (especially after 1/4 time) and gave our mids a fair chance of winning the footy. While 9 possies isn't much in itself, 30 hitouts and laying 6 tackles is a decent night's work from a ruckman.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd