Author Topic: Deledio Must Move  (Read 7490 times)

jackstar is back again

Re: Deledio Must Move
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2011, 09:40:02 PM »
keeping it real simple, you cant play both in the starting 18

Dubstep Dookie

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2011, 09:45:08 PM »
Great responses guys, lets not look outside the box, it's really helped us so far.

I have put it out there for CONSTRUCTIVE feedback (being a forum and all.. ::)) and unfortunately sarcasm  is all that has transpired so far.

Ok brains of the forum, what do we do with Deledio because he, IMO, he is wasted where he is...Jacktheexpert?????????

any other player you want my thoughts on ??

Edwards... :lol

Nahas

Go to jail. Do not past punt road. Do not collect $200.

jackstar is back again

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2011, 09:47:53 PM »
LOL, was playing Monopoly the other night :thumbsup

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2011, 12:19:45 AM »
"If " i coached him, the simple instruction would be is to "'play between the arcs""

That's the way I'd go as well

I'd have him playing of the HB flank but not taking kick-ins.

At kick-ins I'd have him placed at HB in the hope that either our ruckman or another tall would mark and fire off a quick h/ball to Lids so he could break the lines and drive it into our F50. Alternatively, if our talls fail to mark we'd still be able to create at contest, bring it to ground and feed it out to Lids.

At opposition kick-ins I'd then have him floating around HF for the same scenario, thereby putting him a position to take a few shots AT goal. He can kick the thing 50+ metres. I reckon he is ready made for some long bombs  :thumbsup

I'd also have him pinch hit in the middle every now and then but not permanantly
I agree WP. Lids is wasted taking the kick-ins. As I said in the other thread he should be used as one of a few mobile marking tall-midfielder targets from the kick-in from which he can play on quickly and kick the ball over the opposition zone to a teammate running into space.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2011, 12:27:49 AM »
Great responses guys, lets not look outside the box, it's really helped us so far.

I have put it out there for CONSTRUCTIVE feedback (being a forum and all.. ::)) and unfortunately sarcasm  is all that has transpired so far.

Ok brains of the forum, what do we do with Deledio because he, IMO, he is wasted where he is...Jacktheexpert?????????

you thinking swapping deledio with thursfield we
are
going to lose nothing in regards to kicking quailty.

Personally I think deledio would be a great option in the forward line along the like of reiwoldt, griffiths, king, Taylor.

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2011, 07:04:58 AM »
Agree with Jackstar would like to see him on the wing. He is a very good kick. His delivery into the forwardline would create more scoring opportunities

tony_montana

« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2011, 10:26:21 AM »
Like has been said - release player in the middle of the arcs and resting as a HF. He's done his apprenticeship down back now. Teams will continue to play through his man this season to hurt him/us bc he's so focused on being the release player

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2011, 12:20:40 PM »
I agree that I would prefer to see Lids moved up the ground to give us his marking capabilities out of kick-ins (great idea MT!) and delievery into our F50. The only problem I have is the reasoning he was moved to the HB in the first place and his replacement if he did move and the motivation for the change.

The main reason Lids was moved to the half backline was because Dimma was following the Hawthorn (among others) model whereas you have your best ball users positioned behind the ball to set up the play. Hodge is a damaging ultility (as is Goddard) who would be sensational running through the middle but Hawthorn (and Saints) predominately choose to play him in this role. Lids had his best year in 2011 and was instrumental in setting up many of our wins we achieved throughout the year.

If Lids is to be moved then who would replace him in this role. The player would need to be an excellent ball carrier and desposer of the ball. For mine this leaves very few players. Thursfield is a stopper only so he would not cut it. Connors is a poor man's Lids in this regard but could step up. Batchelor and Conca are young but both seems to possess the poise and footskills to execute the role but do they have the defensive understanding and strength to fufill the role?

I don't think we should use the Carlton game as motivation for this move. Lids was heavily tagged, underdone fitness-wise and our midfield destroyed by Carlton. Would Lids have made a difference in the middle...probably but not excessively. Lids never handled a tag well and still doesn't. We have far more players of improving capabilites in the center now days but he would still be the number one target. While this would help the other mids it would take Lids out of the game. Cotch seems to still find the ball even when tagged.

So I think Lids should be moved, sooner or later, but first we should see how our midfield copes over the next couple of games and who steps up across the HB line to take the position.

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2011, 12:31:37 PM »
LMAO

some of you are pretentious stuffwits.

Deledio has won a B&F from the midfield. Playing him there isn't something new. He was good off HB last year...move him back into the middle if he's struggling

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2011, 10:27:31 PM »
I think Damien knows what he's doing.

If after next season we are still bottom 4 then maybe we can let Dimma know how he should coach. Hopefully by then he has an alternative to Deledio at half back so Lids can go somewhere else we need him.

In Dimma we trust.

Eat 'em Alive.   
The club that keeps giving.

Offline Ekto

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2011, 10:47:08 PM »
I think Damien knows what he's doing.
Damien Hardwick played his footy as a team player and remains a team oriented coach.

I am sure that he is still trying to teach teamwork to some of his players who appear to put getting an easy kick ahead of protecting the player with the ball.

I can only assume that anyone who continues to roam the backline in an unaccountable manner will find themselves playing at Craigeburn in a very short time.

No names, no pack drill, every Tiger player faces the same situation if they continue to put themselves before the team.

We all love watching high end skills, but its the G&D that brings us to our feet and creates the mighty Tiger Roar during tight footy contests.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2011, 10:53:00 PM »
LMAO

some of you are pretentious effwits.

Deledio has won a B&F from the midfield. Playing him there isn't something new. He was good off HB last year...move him back into the middle if he's struggling
2 best and fairest playing in the midfield isn't it?
I personally think he should be rotated through the midfield. As we saw the other night, when we won the ball out of the middle (third quarter)we looked good, and we were being pro-active rather than re-active. Put your best players where the ball is.... Conners and Newey to half back.

Offline Ekto

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2011, 11:11:58 PM »
Put your best players where the ball is.... Conners and Newey to half back.
I am sure that is just what Dimma is doing.

Anyone that wanders around the backline in an unaccountable manner does not deserve to play in a critical and disciplined midfield chasing kicks.

Any player who can't follow team rules will end up at Craigeburn or GWS.

Offline JVT

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2011, 08:46:14 AM »
Move will probably happen when Dan Connors regains some match fitness.  ;)

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2011, 01:16:30 PM »
Surely we need more than 2 good ball users off half back. Currently the team has three at minimum unless matchups require additional tall defenders.

I agree that Newman and Connors are the obvious selections but the third small back would need to found to assist with midfield rotations, deliever the ball off half back and be able to shut down an opponent - no easy task. Conca and Batchelor could both fill this role (Batchelor particulary as he was recruited specifically for this role) but at this stage of the season and given their extrodinary lack of experience, is now the time to do this???