Author Topic: Trade week targets & rumours? [merged]  (Read 236775 times)

Hellenic Tiger

Re: Richmond targetting Hamish McIntosh
« Reply #240 on: July 10, 2011, 11:09:46 PM »
To get a youngster in the ruck we need an established one to mentor him also.
Unfortunantely we have neither at this stage.
That's a start Jezza but he will be raw and will need protection from a bigger more established ruckman.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Richmond after Jackson Trengove
« Reply #241 on: July 11, 2011, 09:51:28 PM »
Sure i would love to get a kid of Trengove's ability to our club due to us just having to many sub standard AFL players but i just hope we don't pay overs for him. Just remember we have drafted a fair few KPP backs in the last couple of years with pretty high picks. Rance, Grimes, Astbury, Gourdis, and even Post to a lesser degree. We all talk about us in a rebuild but we haven't really given this crop of kids time to develop. Unlike some on hear, i don't think our backline is as bad as we think. Add to that list, Thursfield, McGaune and Moore and we have enough tall backs for a season or two while hoping the others come on. Injuries haven't helped either.
Would concentrate all our efforts on getting a decent ruckmen..... And a small forward, like a Gartlett or Betts type. Need to get a few "free goals" sometimes.  :thumbsup

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richmond to inquire about Hampson and Gawn but not Blake (Age)
« Reply #242 on: July 12, 2011, 12:50:09 AM »
Tall order for Tigers
Jon Pierik
July 12, 2011

RICHMOND will inquire about Carlton's Shaun Hampson and Melbourne youngster Max Gawn to help ease its ruck woes but has all but ruled out trading for unwanted Cat Mark Blake or Lion Mitch Clark and is unlikely to chase Kangaroo Hamish McIntosh.

The Tigers' need for a quality ruckman has been reinforced in recent weeks after the likes of Sydney's Mark Seaby, Port Adelaide's Dean Brogan, Carlton's Robert Warnock and Matthew Kreuzer and Essendon pair David Hille and Paddy Ryder dominated at the stoppages during the team's form slump.

The Tigers need help as Andrew Browne, out injured, can only play on the ball, while Angus Graham continues to struggle. Ty Vickery is seen more as a key forward and back-up ruckman.

The Tigers sit near the foot of the ladder in terms of hitouts to advantage differential, scores from clearances differential and hitout differential against direct opponents.

League recruiters and player agents have told The Age the Tigers are after a ruckman in the 22-24 year-old-age group who can also play as a forward, is of the right character and is not yet chasing major dollars.

The young age group, at this stage, is important as it endorses the long-term plan of coach Damien Hardwick and the club.

Hampson, 23, fits this category. He has played nine matches this season, the last in round 13 when he hurt his knee, and is locked in a battle with Warnock, just ahead in the pecking order, to partner the mobile Kreuzer. Hampson's management is understood to be willing to accept offers from rival clubs. Gawn, however, is only 19 but still sits in the developing bracket. He has played three matches this year and is seen as a promising ruck-forward.

The Demons are keen to retain him because of his size - at 208 centimetres he is three centimetres shorter than Aaron Sandilands but has a more rounded game at this stage of his career than his Fremantle counterpart had.

It appears the Tigers have all but ruled out luring the out-of-contract Mitch Clark from Brisbane.

Industry sources suggest Clark wants upwards of $600,000 per season. While the Tigers could find room under the salary cap, his deal could make him the highest paid player at Punt Road and impact on team chemistry. And he has been linked with Greater Western Sydney.

The Tigers and rival clubs are uncertain whether Port Adelaide's highly rated bigman Jackson Trengove can be the No. 1 bigman or a genuine backman. Trengove is off contract and considering a return to Melbourne. But recruiters have questioned his pace and kicking.

Hardwick emphasised the need to retain the youth policy after a 39-point loss to Essendon on Saturday night. ''We've just got to keep playing these players to get us where we need to go,'' he said. ''The easy thing is to top up with talent that's not quite there.

''We've just to make sure these players play as much footy together as humanly possible.''

Blake, stuck on 99 matches, recovering from finger surgery and unlikely to play again for the Cats, does not figure in Richmond's plans as he can't play as a forward. While he would be valuable purely at stoppage, the Tigers know more is needed. Geelong coach Chris Scott last week said it was understandable if Blake began to look elsewhere.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/tall-order-for-tigers-20110711-1has9.html#ixzz1RoAMkkL9

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #243 on: July 12, 2011, 12:57:26 AM »
Herald-Sun says we're going to make a big play for McIntosh while the Age says we're unlikely to make a bid for him. Don't you just love media reporting  :wallywink.

While the club is adamant the duo can work in tandem, Richmond is expected to make a major play for McIntosh.

The 203cm utility, contracted to North until 2013, is set to make his comeback from achilles surgery against Brisbane in a fortnight.

McIntosh played his third game in the VFL at the weekend, collecting 46 hitouts.

Herald-Sun link
The Tigers have been linked with McIntosh, who is contracted until the end of 2013. However, both clubs deny interest has been shown. The development of fellow Kangaroos' ruckman Todd Goldstein could mean McIntosh becomes trade bait. McIntosh can play as a forward but his recent injury woes and his age - 26 - mean the Tigers are unlikely to put in a bid.

The Age linkhttp://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/tall-order-for-tigers-20110711-1has9.html

Ox

« Reply #244 on: July 12, 2011, 03:09:40 AM »
Jon Griffen would be a good fit. Very good fit

that's all good and well but we're talking about the ruck position

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Richmond to inquire about Hampson and Gawn but not Blake (Age)
« Reply #245 on: July 12, 2011, 07:42:41 AM »
..has all but ruled out trading for unwanted Cat Mark Blake

Thank stuff for that
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline J Buckthorn

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #246 on: July 12, 2011, 07:43:02 AM »

Ur thinking of the wrong Griffen Mr Ox  :thumbsup

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #247 on: July 12, 2011, 08:01:12 AM »

Ur thinking of the wrong Griffen Mr Ox  :thumbsup

He might be referring to a different type of "fit"
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

10 FLAGS

« Reply #248 on: July 12, 2011, 08:56:52 AM »
A big tick for Hardwick. This is correct strategy IMHO.

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #249 on: July 12, 2011, 10:31:51 AM »
Hampson.

Strange ruck division down at the Blues. They had Jacobs who I rated highly, traded to Crows.

Warnock and Kruezer clearly the best 2.

Hampson always seemed a cheap back up option that would never really make it.

I strangely see it as a good option although at 23, will he be much better than Gus? I want a dominant ruckman. Not a maybe.

I like Gawn. Don't think Dees will let him go.
Go Tigers!

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #250 on: July 12, 2011, 10:54:38 AM »
..has all but ruled out trading for unwanted Cat Mark Blake

Thank eff for that

here here
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

gerkin greg

« Reply #251 on: July 12, 2011, 12:02:35 PM »
I hope we stay away from McIntosh. stuff giving anything to Norf

gerkin greg

« Reply #252 on: July 12, 2011, 12:16:16 PM »
Hampson can't play forward so he doesn't fit our requirements.

Can't mark, can't kick straight.

Next.

10 FLAGS

« Reply #253 on: July 12, 2011, 12:17:47 PM »
Dawson Simpson from Geelong

gerkin greg

« Reply #254 on: July 12, 2011, 12:21:58 PM »
Simpson might play this week with Ottens out. Be good to have another look at him.

Zac Clarke from Freo looks ideal, athletic 203cm Ruck/Forward, 21-23 age bracket, Victorian, can't get a gig behind Sandi, Griffen, Bradley.

Is contracted so a deal will need to be done.