Author Topic: Nathan Foley [merged]  (Read 109853 times)

Offline Darrell

• Tiger Rookie
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Nathan Foley
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2005, 04:42:06 PM »

who have not obv watched him close enough nor admired his efforts esp in the game at port and the game v the dogs!  he will be a prime hard ball winner 4 us 4 years to come and we will discuss this when foley has the final and last laugh
Yeah I agree with X-CITED he keeps on finding the footy and while he has got it they havent

Offline Captain__Blood

• Premiership Captain
« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2005, 12:43:13 AM »
Boy needs some steroids, stat!

He isnt a monster but I dont think he is too bad muscle wise for his age:

If he continues to bulk up over the next couple years it;ll be a good effort.

Offline Razorblade

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2005, 02:19:39 AM »
On TV he looks like a 15yo kid!

A player like him though essentially has to be a stuffing tank, going in and under and tackling all day long!

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2005, 12:48:11 PM »
IMHO, Foley will not make it in the AFL, he is a very good VFL player, but from what i've seen of him, he just can't cut it at the elite level

who have not obv watched him close enough nor admired his efforts esp in the game at port and the game v the dogs!  he will be a prime hard ball winner 4 us 4 years to come and we will discuss this when foley has the final and last laugh

Your right in that i haven't seen much of him, but when i have seen him he didn't seem to impress me much. He is a true ball magnet, but you could say the same for Mark McGough and how much has he done

letsgetiton!

« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2006, 10:27:18 AM »

t, but you could say the same for Mark McGough and how much has he done

who,
isnt he the no hoper who only ever played one half decent game in the wet! foley is different, as foley plays 4 the team not himself!

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2006, 01:47:37 PM »
IMHO, Foley will not make it in the AFL, he is a very good VFL player, but from what i've seen of him, he just can't cut it at the elite level

who have not obv watched him close enough nor admired his efforts esp in the game at port and the game v the dogs! he will be a prime hard ball winner 4 us 4 years to come and we will discuss this when foley has the final and last laugh

X i dug up a video tape of that game and watched Foley more carefully and your right that he puts a lot of effort in, but until he becomes a prime hard ball winner 4 us 4 years to come i will have my doubts

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Foley was very important tonight
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2006, 11:32:35 PM »
Always thought he'd be another Ednie (too small) but he was terrific in the centre bounces in the second half tonight. Helped out Cogs and Tuck with the hard in and under stuff and when Brisbane were coming at us in the last his efforts at diving in and winning the footy were vital in stemming the tide and turning it back our way.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Bulluss

Re: Foley was very important tonight
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2006, 12:20:11 AM »
He did do pretty well tonight MT, but the jury is still out for mine.

Maybe i am too harsh, still a good game from Axel though  :thumbsup

Jackstar

Re: Foley was very important tonight
« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2006, 12:22:10 AM »
you should be out on the drink,bully

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Foley leaving his mark (RFC site)
« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2006, 04:27:51 AM »
Foley leaving his mark
9:34:49 PM Wed 17 May, 2006
Mark Rasmussen
Exclusive to afl.com.au

Although it was a disappointing week for Richmond on the field, after a 118-point loss to Sydney, for tenacious in-and-under player Nathan Foley, who was elevated off the rookie list this year, it was somewhat of a big week.

With eight clearances for the round, (the second highest), a career high 18 disposals and kicks (13), plus six contested possessions, Foley now finds himself among some esteemed company. He is now ranked 15th in contested possessions.

For the 20-year-old from Colac, it has been a promising start to his career.

"I'm starting to work really well with Troy Simmonds and Greg Stafford's rucking really well. I've been trying to nut out a few centre clearances and boundary throw-ins. It certainly adds a bit to my game and I'm trying to make it an asset in my style of play," Foley said in an exclusive interview.

Most players aren't too stat conscious but for Foley, it's a great way to gauge how he is going.

"It's generally a good indicator of how you are going. You look at the opposition's stats just as much as your own. If you look at an opposition player, you'll see how many centre clearances they have and how many boundary throw-ins they get. If they're winning it from there, then you've got to pay attention to them.

"They're a good indication of where you're at and where your opposition is at," he said.

Foley reckons his first instinct as a player is to handball, although Tiger coach Terry Wallace wants to change that and has signaled his intention to develop the Tigers into more of a long-kicking side.

"Terry is starting to say kicking is where he wants his midfielders at, having a high number of kicks. That's something I've been working at."

Although the Tigers got smashed all around the park on Saturday, Foley said there were still some things they could take out of the game.

"We looked at the tape after that Sydney loss and although we are a relatively young team, we looked at what we could take from the game.

"It's a good learning curve for myself and the other young players in the team. We also looked at Sydney, last year's premiership side and you understand where you've got to get to, to be part of it.

"While it was a fair flogging, we still got some stuff out of the game, which was good," Foley said.

"It was a disappointing loss and we're looking to bounce back this week against the Crows, who are no doubt one of the best teams going around."

It took Foley a lot of hard work and more than a year to finally make the senior list, and after being told the news, he couldn't have been happier.

"It was great to get put up on the senior list and to start the pre-season and be in contention to play the first round. It really made me work harder. I spent a year and half on the rookie list before playing some games last year, so it's been good to be given this opportunity. I'm really happy," he said.

Despite the fact Foley is only beginning his career and learning the trade, there are several players he looks up to and hopes to emulate. Not surprisingly, Chris Judd tops the list.

"Obviously it's Chris Judd. You can't go past him at the moment. He's the complete package. But there's a lot of running midfielders out there who kick goals but Judd is the best going around."

With continual improvement and extra responsibility being thrown his way every round, Nathan Foley may well be what many of today's youngsters will aspire to. Expect to see more of this 'in-and-under' player gather more of the football in the years to come.

http://richmondfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=266444

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Rover Foley in hunt (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2006, 02:10:49 AM »
Rover Foley in hunt
09 December 2006   Herald-Sun
Jon Anderson

WITH speedsters such as Brett Deledio and Richard Tambling for teammates, it was perhaps a surprise that Nathan Foley was Richmond's representative in the Grand Final sprint.

Foley finished third in the final (behind Carlton's Brendan Fevola) and is now setting the pace at Punt Rd, this time in the race for a spot in the Tigers line-up for the NAB Cup.

Under an innovative scoring system instituted by coach Terry Wallace, Foley is edging Deledio as the Tigers' top pre-season performer.

Concerned the repetitive nature of pre-season work can see one session roll into another, Wallace's points system marks players in everything from lifting weights to levels of enthusiasm; a beach volleyball game at Kerferd Rd this week became an all-out war as teams strived for points.

The reward for the top 15-ranked players is a guaranteed place in the team for the club's opening NAB Cup match against Geelong on February 25.

The 177cm Foley -- who missed just one game in 2006 and averaged almost 20 disposals, mostly at the base of packs -- is leading the points table.

Other names on the leaderboard include Deledio, Cameron Howat, Danny Meyer, Dean Polo and Adam Pattison. But the bolter is Tambling.

Wallace intends playing 20-year-old Tambling on the ball next year, saying his endurance and natural roving skills demand it.

"Richard is eighth on our points premiership, but he's eight with a bullet after his form this week," Wallace said.

"If you look at the NAB Cup from the last couple of years and look at a team like Sydney, they have given as many of their kids a go as possible.

"So if one of our kids performs well over the pre-season, then he will have deserved to get a crack at it.

"Andrew Raines did that last year. For a young player to break into your senior side for Round 1 of the home-and-away season, they generally need to play in the NAB Cup.

"This gives them that chance. Our assistant coaches are marking everything, from effort to skill errors. It provides incentive and gives players an opportunity to assess how they're going.

"I had one player last week come up to me and say one of our extra training sessions clashed with a course he's doing. We encourage players to undertake courses but I pointed out to him if he went that way, it would come at a price in the form of a lower mark. He chose the session."

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,20896588%255E19742,00.html

Gordon Bennett

Re: Rover Foley in hunt (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2006, 11:10:35 AM »
A lot of these guys are very competitive. For many of them the incentive would be to get as close as possible to the top of the points leaderboard, rather than just a place in the first NAB match.

Ramps

« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2006, 11:11:24 AM »
Are any of the new boys firing early on the track?

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #43 on: December 09, 2006, 04:48:44 PM »
Are any of the new boys firing early on the track?

They are training separately to the main squad at the moment. On Wednesday they just did 200 and 400m runs around the boundary and some handball and basic reflex drills while the game-based drills were going on.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #44 on: December 09, 2006, 05:11:32 PM »
Wallace intends playing 20-year-old Tambling on the ball next year, saying his endurance and natural roving skills demand it.

We need Blingers to move into the centre as soon as possible for his pace and skill alone. He still needs to build up his strength and upper body more though before he'll really click playing both as a inside and outside midfielder. With Foley, Lids and Polo as well we're slowly building up a quality young midfield.