Author Topic: Post season surgery  (Read 16040 times)

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
Re: Post season surgery
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2011, 02:20:39 PM »
You guys do realise AFL is a contact sport?

Not anymore. The umpies think Nick Riewoldt, Judd etc are playing touch footy. tackle them and that effing whistle will be going off.

poo i hate benders. getting old :(

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2011, 02:24:08 PM »

What's that got to do with it  :-\ that's not the issue here IMHO

The issue I have and I think few others may as well is that once our season was OVER the Club continued to play players who were clearly injured and required surgery.

Why? What was the point? Why not put them in cotton wool and get the surgeries done ASAP rather than playing them in games that meant nothing but could have caused greater harm

Jack's got to have count 'em 4 not 1 but 4 operations. Why did we wait?

Luke McGuane has been carrying severe OP for most of the season - they did they keep playing him why exactly instead of having surgery?

BrownE - is onto op number 2

Griffiths - again what was the point

Conca's had surgery, ditto Cotch & Rance

As I said why did we play them
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline RFC_Official

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2011, 02:33:07 PM »

The issue I have and I think few others may as well is that once our season was OVER the Club continued to play players who were clearly injured and required surgery.

Why? What was the point? Why not put them in cotton wool and get the surgeries done ASAP rather than playing them in games that meant nothing but could have caused greater harm

Luke McGuane has been carrying severe OP for most of the season - they did they keep playing him why exactly instead of having surgery?

I'd say it's because they are not major surgeries, more 'clean-ups'. Cotch is already off crutches, Jack will be off shortly, Conca is already off them. I can't answer them all but those are the ones I know.

Offline Oiafi

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Against logic there is no armour like ignorance.
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2011, 02:38:38 PM »

My point is that players play with injuries its part of the game. They need to learn how to play with injuries. If they stopped playing players every time they hurt themselves simply because finals are out of reach, the players would not learn to cope with niggles and duress when we cannot afford to have them sitting on the sidelines.

I don't advocate playing players that have injuries that will get worse without rest, but I do think the idea of protecting players simply because playing them does not mean much in the context of the season, is harmful in the long run and detrimental to their footballing education.

Offline Oiafi

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2011, 02:39:38 PM »

I'd say it's because they are not major surgeries, more 'clean-ups'. Cotch is already off crutches, Jack will be off shortly, Conca is already off them. I can't answer them all but those are the ones I know.

Cheers RFCO, my thinking exactly.

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2011, 03:08:18 PM »

I do, if all are ready for day 1 of pre season to do full sessions then no problems.
 if not, why play meaningless games at the end of the season.
I'd say that once you are getting to the tailend of the season you work back from the 1st session of pre season not the following round.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2011, 03:26:47 PM »
Matt Hornsby video talking about the boys off-season and surgeries. Most guys having minor surgeries which will have them right by the start of preseason in early November. Matt said Jack will probably to take the longest to recover out of them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUu8xCFgB7E&feature=player_profilepage

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2011, 03:49:24 PM »
My point is that players play with injuries its part of the game. They need to learn how to play with injuries. If they stopped playing players every time they hurt themselves simply because finals are out of reach, the players would not learn to cope with niggles and duress when we cannot afford to have them sitting on the sidelines.

I don't advocate playing players that have injuries that will get worse without rest, but I do think the idea of protecting players simply because playing them does not mean much in the context of the season, is harmful in the long run and detrimental to their footballing education.

I appreciate players play with injuries all the time. If we were a chance for the finals I really can understand it but when you are no chance .... er ...sorry NO

When your season is over, there is no point and to say they are "just clean ups" is a cop out

To have 1 player needing 4 surgeries is not smart no matter how you look at or try to justify it.... Jack struggled for an extended period they played him while clearly injured, he couldn't run, he couldn't jump and then there's the other minor little point that he is one of top 5 players - you simply don't risk them under any circumstances

I don't think you can say McGuane's surgery was just a clean out - major OP surgery with the hope he will be ready for pre-season isn't "just a clean out"

Finally I would have thought the Club would have learnt their lesson after 2010 when they played a clearly "not right" Moore in the 2nd half of 2010 who had a crook hip & hasn't played since he went in for "just a clean up"

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2011, 04:36:56 PM »
Matt Hornsby video talking about the boys off-season and surgeries. Most guys having minor surgeries which will have them right by the start of preseason in early November. Matt said Jack will probably to take the longest to recover out of them.

i now know what to play when my 7 month old won't sleep
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline RFC_Official

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2011, 04:48:12 PM »

i now know what to play when my 7 month old won't sleep

Haha, true. Bit hard to do some cut aways when there's no-one else around.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2011, 04:53:32 PM »

Tony Greenburg's summary of what Matt Hornsby said....

Jack will probably be the slowest in terms of his return to training once we start pre-season, just because of the number of surgeries he’s had.  But none of them are issues that will concern us, or him, long-term,” said the Club’s Elite Performance Manager Matt Hornsby.

Read full article at: http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/6301/newsid/123715/default.aspx

Offline T_o_O

• Future Richmond star
  • Big Fish
« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2011, 05:02:10 PM »
Thanks for the updates. 8)

Offline Oiafi

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2011, 05:57:27 PM »

I appreciate players play with injuries all the time. If we were a chance for the finals I really can understand it but when you are no chance .... er ...sorry NO

When your season is over, there is no point and to say they are "just clean ups" is a cop out

To have 1 player needing 4 surgeries is not smart no matter how you look at or try to justify it.... Jack struggled for an extended period they played him while clearly injured, he couldn't run, he couldn't jump and then there's the other minor little point that he is one of top 5 players - you simply don't risk them under any circumstances

I don't think you can say McGuane's surgery was just a clean out - major OP surgery with the hope he will be ready for pre-season isn't "just a clean out"

Finally I would have thought the Club would have learnt their lesson after 2010 when they played a clearly "not right" Moore in the 2nd half of 2010 who had a crook hip & hasn't played since he went in for "just a clean up"

Well that's where you and I differ in opinion. Each case is different and I don't believe you can make a blanket rule based on the experience of one or so players.

The trouble with making decisions purely based on observation is you often find that an analysis of the underlying data suggests a quite different conclusion.

Your observations may be correct but my experience tells me that things are normally not that simple. Unless, of course, you have access to more information than the average RFC observer.

Offline HKTiger

• Premiership Captain
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2011, 03:33:10 AM »
If all the players in for surgery had gone when injured we couldn't have put 22 players out in the ;ast few rounds.  We do actually have an obligation to field a team.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2011, 06:58:52 AM »
If all the players in for surgery had gone when injured we couldn't have put 22 players out in the ;ast few rounds.  We do actually have an obligation to field a team.

Yeah we could have - we could have promoted rookies  ;D