Author Topic: Science thread [merged]  (Read 76988 times)

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Science thread [merged]
« Reply #315 on: August 18, 2016, 07:50:29 PM »
And to think a grain of sand has 50 trillion atoms.  This kind of stuff blows your mind.

Absolutely.

Cox also spoke about the evidence behind the big bang and what occurred before it, exactly where it happened and what the universe looked like before the big bang. Amazing stuff.

IMO there's no way in hell we're the only intelligent life form in the universe - to suggest such is ridiculous as it is so improbable.

Really hope I live to see the day mankind starts to populate the solar system at least - Mars and the moon.

tony_montana

« Reply #316 on: August 19, 2016, 03:25:17 PM »
For the semi intelligent primate there are known knowns, known unknowns, and unknown unknowns.  We can barely go to the moon let alone know what's out there.  Like taking one step from your front door and saying I've explored the world.

So true.

Just went to Brian Cox's cosmology/astrophysics lecture recently and it blew my mind.

Admittedly he lost me in the second half, but he essentially surmised with good evidence that the weight of the universe is 5 (electrons or neutrons I forget) per cubic meter and the universe itself is FLAT - and that even when we look up or down the thin vertical side we still can't see anywhere near the edges which is amazing. Similar to looking left and right and presuming that the earth is flat because you can't contextualise the curvature of the surface. The universe is also expanding at an accelerating rate.

Consider this:
- The Milky Way consists of some 200 billion stars, of which 20 million could very well have habitable earth-like planets.
- The nearest neighbouring galaxy, Andromeda, consists of anywhere from 450 billion to one trillion stars.
- There are 170 billion observable galaxies that we can visualise from our place in the universe using our most powerful telescopes.

We really are nothing at the end of the day...

Incredible isnt it. The closest star to us is Alpha centauri 4.24 light years away.  We launched voyager 1 in 1977, due to using gravitational sling shotting of saturn or jupitor it is currently travelling at 62,000 km/h or 17km per second, the fastest speed of any spacecraft. Its now just passed out of our solar system and has travelled the equivalent of 17 light hours in 39 years. If it was going to alpha Centauri, it would get there in about 80,000 years.

Now if we could reach the speeds of Hellios 2 which orbited the sun (it reached a max speed of 240,000km/r using the suns incredible gravitational pull) it would cut down travel time to 19,000 years.

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #317 on: August 19, 2016, 06:57:36 PM »
For the semi intelligent primate there are known knowns, known unknowns, and unknown unknowns.  We can barely go to the moon let alone know what's out there.  Like taking one step from your front door and saying I've explored the world.

So true.

Just went to Brian Cox's cosmology/astrophysics lecture recently and it blew my mind.

Admittedly he lost me in the second half, but he essentially surmised with good evidence that the weight of the universe is 5 (electrons or neutrons I forget) per cubic meter and the universe itself is FLAT - and that even when we look up or down the thin vertical side we still can't see anywhere near the edges which is amazing. Similar to looking left and right and presuming that the earth is flat because you can't contextualise the curvature of the surface. The universe is also expanding at an accelerating rate.

Consider this:
- The Milky Way consists of some 200 billion stars, of which 20 million could very well have habitable earth-like planets.
- The nearest neighbouring galaxy, Andromeda, consists of anywhere from 450 billion to one trillion stars.
- There are 170 billion observable galaxies that we can visualise from our place in the universe using our most powerful telescopes.

Incredible isnt it. The closest star to us is Alpha centauri 4.24 light years away.  We launched voyager 1 in 1977, due to using gravitational sling shotting of saturn or jupitor it is currently travelling at 62,000 km/h or 17km per second, the fastest speed of any spacecraft. Its now just passed out of our solar system and has travelled the equivalent of 17 light hours in 39 years. If it was going to alpha Centauri, it would get there in about 80,000 years.

Now if we could reach the speeds of Hellios 2 which orbited the sun (it reached a max speed of 240,000km/r using the suns incredible gravitational pull) it would cut down travel time to 19,000 years.

The thing with most stars and planetary systems is they predominantly form within 0.5 light years of each other. Earth and our sun is 9x this from the next neighbour.

Without believing any conspiracy theories, there are plans in place which could reach Alpha Centauri in 20 years.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/100-million-plan-will-send-probes-to-the-nearest-star1/

Now imagine what will be capable in another 40 years. Extrapolate it out. 17000 to 20 years over 40 years tech development and in another 40 years it will be just 8.6 days!!!!

Impossible distances are becoming possible.

"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #318 on: August 19, 2016, 07:17:09 PM »

So true.

Consider this:

The thing with most stars and planetary systems is they predominantly form within 0.5 light years of each other. Earth and our sun is 9x this from the next neighbour.

Without believing any conspiracy theories, there are plans in place which could reach Alpha Centauri in 20 years.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/100-million-plan-will-send-probes-to-the-nearest-star1/

Now imagine what will be capable in another 40 years. Extrapolate it out. 17000 to 20 years over 40 years tech development and in another 40 years it will be just 8.6 days!!!!

Exciting stuff.

I think anything is possible. I remember when the internet was invented. Bill Gates once claimed nobody would ever need more than  637kb of memory (about 1997?). Heck we even landed men on the moon with computer power rivaling that of the average desk calculator. Look at where the world is now and how fast we are developing.

Definitely possible in my lifetime I hope!

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #319 on: August 19, 2016, 08:16:55 PM »

So true.

Consider this:

Exciting stuff.

I think anything is possible. I remember when the internet was invented. Bill Gates once claimed nobody would ever need more than  637kb of memory (about 1997?). Heck we even landed men on the moon with computer power rivaling that of the average desk calculator. Look at where the world is now and how fast we are developing.

Definitely possible in my lifetime I hope!

:cheers

Almost 10 years ago I walked into my workplace with an IPhone 2 pre-release. I practically got burnt at the stake for sourcery as my work colleagues eyes couldn't process what they were looking at. More so, I had more memory in my hand than the entire computing system of the department.

Now. if you really want to get funky I can pm you some info.
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #320 on: August 19, 2016, 08:18:46 PM »
PM away

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Fighting injustice and incompetence
« Reply #321 on: August 22, 2016, 01:38:33 PM »
The thing i don't understand is how we can see some galaxies that are 13b light years away.  If the light started travelling 13b light years ago, this would have been at the time of the big bang.  How can that light reach us now?  And also wouldn't this be the big bang itself or the very early stages of the universe itself?  And this would only occur if we were travelling faster than the speed of light away from the big bang then slowed down to allow the light to reach us.  Also those galaxies wouldn’t have existed then.  My brain hurts.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 01:54:33 PM by Harry »
Does anyone have half an idea on anything?

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Close your mouth pls, we are not a codfish
« Reply #322 on: August 22, 2016, 02:17:28 PM »
I think the Big Bang is seen as 'wrong', now, by the leading minds
Then he grabbed two chopsticks and stuck them in his mouth , pretending to be a walrus

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #323 on: August 22, 2016, 02:28:07 PM »
Our mere existence is theoretical.
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Fighting injustice and incompetence
« Reply #324 on: August 22, 2016, 02:42:15 PM »

That's pretty deep dude
Does anyone have half an idea on anything?

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
Then he grabbed two chopsticks and stuck them in his mouth , pretending to be a walrus

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #326 on: August 22, 2016, 03:05:13 PM »

That's pretty deep dude

It's just a theory.
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #327 on: August 22, 2016, 03:06:31 PM »

Offline 1965

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Don't water the rocks
« Reply #328 on: August 22, 2016, 03:14:46 PM »

There is no reality only our perception of it.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #329 on: August 22, 2016, 03:27:49 PM »
The thing i don't understand is how we can see some galaxies that are 13b light years away.  If the light started travelling 13b light years ago, this would have been at the time of the big bang.  How can that light reach us now?  And also wouldn't this be the big bang itself or the very early stages of the universe itself?  And this would only occur if we were travelling faster than the speed of light away from the big bang then slowed down to allow the light to reach us.  Also those galaxies wouldn’t have existed then.  My brain hurts.
Tests of Big Bang: Cosmic microwave background radiation.
The Big Bang theory predicts that the early universe was a very hot place and that as it expands, the gas within it cools. Thus the universe should be filled with radiation that is literally the remnant heat left over from the Big Bang, called the “cosmic microwave background", or CMB.

Read more: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmic_microwave_background

The evidence that the universe is expanding comes from the red shift of light. As the light from another galaxy gets closer to Earth, the distance between Earth and the galaxy increases, which causes the wavelength of that light to get longer.

I think the Big Bang is seen as 'wrong', now, by the leading minds
You think wrong.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd