Author Topic: Science thread [merged]  (Read 76270 times)

dwaino

Re: Science thread [merged]
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2012, 07:38:49 PM »
Latest images of the Martian surface taken by Curiosity:

Offline Loui Tufga

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Beaver BLT
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2012, 10:30:44 PM »

Why isn't the sky blue?

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2012, 10:55:06 PM »

dwaino

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2012, 11:04:48 PM »

Why isn't the sky blue?

Not sure if srs O_o

But... it's because the atmosphere has a different composition and light is bent at different angles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRsPheErBj8

:lol could use a computer nerd at the moment. Can't find anything definitive on whether to use a fixed or offset voltage when overclocking a CPU. Load line calibration  :banghead :banghead :banghead

Dubstep Dookie

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2012, 11:25:46 PM »
Has anyone recently calibrated a pressure transducer? I've tried a deadweight but it's particularly sensitive and not having much luck.

Note:- it's the Piezoresistive strain gauge type (mono crystalline of course!) I've toggled with the L4s on the bridge circuit but no luck   :huh3

Dubstep Dookie

« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2012, 12:06:23 AM »
Yeah I get all that but I think it's more of a nominal bridge resistance issue that's throwing things out...hmmmmmm I might have to take it to Marty's tomorrow

Offline Loui Tufga

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Beaver BLT
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2012, 12:31:53 AM »
I have never had this issue with the deadweight tester :huh Are you using all the right type of instruments?
When I do the test I follow this procedure......
First: You need the following recently calibrated instruments - deadweight tester, voltage source, and DMM. Remember that the accuracy of your calibration is only as good as the total uncertainty of this "system." (Note: Some deadweight testers can be calibrated for your local gravitational constant! There are also other types of pressure generating equipment available, but they all depend on a known-good gauge/transducer.)
Second: I use an 11 point test: 0% 20% 40% 60% 80% 100% 80% 60% 40% 20% 0%. Slowly rotate the piston at each step so stiction doesn't affect your reading. Going up and down on the pressure will check for hysteresis, especially important with gauges.
Third: Keep good records and check on a regular basis.

Be very careful when comparing the accuracy of pressure transducers! There appears to be no standard convention so different manufacturers will state different numbers which are difficult to compare.

Let us know if you can't get a reading, I do have another way ;)

Dubstep Dookie

« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2012, 08:05:52 AM »
All good - was the nominal bridge resistance issue after all  :thumbsup

Cheers,

Dooks

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2012, 12:39:00 PM »

That looks like the hill that Arnie fell down and cracked his helmet.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

dwaino

« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2012, 10:16:03 AM »
I was looking for some info on that starfish with human teeth and found this that I know a few people would be keen on

NSFW
http://www.cracked.com/article/125_13-real-animals-lifted-directly-out-your-nightmares/

But being from cracked.com just be warned that some of the language may not be safe for work

Offline Eat_em_Alive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2012, 10:48:16 PM »
I was looking for some info on that starfish with human teeth and found this that I know a few people would be keen on

NSFW
http://www.cracked.com/article/125_13-real-animals-lifted-directly-out-your-nightmares/

But being from cracked.com just be warned that some of the language may not be safe for work

Interesting viewing, are they all supposedly real or are they taking the pee?
The anywhere, anytime Tigers.
E A T  E M  A L I V E  M O F O S

dwaino

« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2012, 12:17:54 AM »
They're all fair dinkim.

Offline Eat_em_Alive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2012, 10:30:45 PM »
The anywhere, anytime Tigers.
E A T  E M  A L I V E  M O F O S

dwaino

« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2012, 10:15:50 AM »
Are humans getting dumber? http://m.thestar.com/news/gta/article/1287365--are-humans-getting-dumber-one-u-s-biologist-thinks-we-ve-got-nothing-on-hunter-gatherers-of-old

I was just talking to the missus about this the other day. Many don't realise, but you would of had the same quality of life in ancient Egypt, even early Rome than we all do now. The Egyptians had antibiotics and other medicines to cure ailments from naturally occurring sources. Aristophanes even proved the world was round and almost pinpointed the circumference. We're cheating Darwinism with technology and it's the only reason we're still around.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 10:37:25 AM by dwaino »