Author Topic: Science thread [merged]  (Read 77281 times)

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
Re: Science thread [merged]
« Reply #60 on: January 30, 2014, 02:33:10 AM »
Hawking overcomplicates far fetched theories at times
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #61 on: January 30, 2014, 11:48:11 AM »
 I love astronomy, but I find black holes a bit boring. Give me a fully blown nebula any day. I can stare at them for hours in amazement. Black Holes are just the "Emo's" of the astronomy world.
In saying that, If I see the local real estate selling a house with "Absolute Black Hole Frontage" I might take a bit more of an interest in them.  ;D

dwaino

« Reply #62 on: January 30, 2014, 12:53:29 PM »
In saying that, If I see the local real estate selling a house with "Absolute Black Hole Frontage" I might take a bit more of an interest in them.  ;D

Only if it has a secure network... firewall  :lol

How about that nebula made of alcohol? ; D

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #63 on: January 30, 2014, 01:32:31 PM »

Only if it has a secure network... firewall  :lol

How about that nebula made of alcohol? ; D
:lol Imagine trying to get direct line of sight for a WiFi connection.  ;D

A nebula made of alcohol.  :lol You could literally drink and drive without the need for a traveler. Mind you I think the RBT's would be spread pretty thin across 500 light years of space.  ;D

dwaino

« Reply #64 on: January 31, 2014, 06:33:45 AM »
Yeessss this is the kind of stuff I like. Water on/in Ceres  :clapping

http://m.phys.org/news/2014-01-telescope-spies-plumes-dwarf-planet.html

dwaino

« Reply #65 on: February 07, 2014, 10:23:47 AM »
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=z6kgvhG3AkI

For anyone keen and with 2 and a half hours up their sleeve this the debate between Bill Nye and Ken Ham the other day. Leading up to it I and most other atheists were skeptical of it as Bill Nye is not a biologist and is not used to debating. On top of that the idea to give creationism a legitimate stage to debate is ridiculous and lends it credibility. Debating anyone with faith is also ridiculous as they're incapable of reason.

At first I thought it was going to be evolution and/or 'big bang' vs intelligent design and creationism (young earth). Instead it was Nye challenging whether Ham's theory held up to scrutiny. To my surprise Nye destroyed Ham. Nye consistently referred to facts and sources, while Ham trotted the expected circular logic crap. One of his common retorts were "you were not there so how can you know?" I was glad Nye didn't get sucked in as he could have just as easily said the same thing in reply.

When I was younger we had Optus Vision when it first came out I remember always watching Bill Nye the Science Guy on the Disney Channel. Haven't seen much of him since but glad to see he is still doing the rounds.

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #66 on: February 07, 2014, 02:02:24 PM »
Never trust a man with a beard and no mustache. Lincoln set a solid benchmark for beard and no mustache men but it has been a slippery slope ever since.
Way to go Bill!  :thumbsup :thumbsup

dwaino

« Reply #67 on: February 07, 2014, 04:44:05 PM »
 :lol :thumbsup

Must be looney month. Missed who it was, dr carl something,  since I'm listening to radio at work but matt and joe  :chuck on triple M were just interviewing (more like taking the pee) some creationist trying to say dinosaurs were less than 6,000 years old. I must have missed the Sumerian and neolithic European depictions of them  :lol also reckons soft tissue has been discovered. Not bad when we can't even find that from a corpse even 50 years old. Unless you count Ötzi but ignore carbon dating and science  :shh

Claimed that creationist institutes have many scientists with doctorates. Stupid argument. If a flat earther also acknowledges oxygen is essential for human life then does that then validate his theories?  :stupid

I blame the burning of the Library of Alexandria. Had that not happened I don't think mankind would have had to suffer the stain of the abrahamic religions.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #68 on: February 07, 2014, 07:42:05 PM »
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=z6kgvhG3AkI

For anyone keen and with 2 and a half hours up their sleeve this the debate between Bill Nye and Ken Ham the other day. Leading up to it I and most other atheists were skeptical of it as Bill Nye is not a biologist and is not used to debating. On top of that the idea to give creationism a legitimate stage to debate is ridiculous and lends it credibility. Debating anyone with faith is also ridiculous as they're incapable of reason.

At first I thought it was going to be evolution and/or 'big bang' vs intelligent design and creationism (young earth). Instead it was Nye challenging whether Ham's theory held up to scrutiny. To my surprise Nye destroyed Ham. Nye consistently referred to facts and sources, while Ham trotted the expected circular logic crap. One of his common retorts were "you were not there so how can you know?" I was glad Nye didn't get sucked in as he could have just as easily said the same thing in reply.

When I was younger we had Optus Vision when it first came out I remember always watching Bill Nye the Science Guy on the Disney Channel. Haven't seen much of him since but glad to see he is still doing the rounds.

That was an interesting debate.
Ham is actually a smart bloke, but he bases everything he believes on something that cant be proved - that is an assumption. The most frustrating type of person to deal with.

I actually disagree with your comment about not getting sucked in about the "you were not there" lines, because the foundation of everything for Ham, is a book, and no one has any idea of who wrote the book and its legitimacy, and to base your whole fundamental beliefs on that is problematic. Ham was not there, so how can he be so sure that the bible is actually the word of god?

Ham often bought up assumption as an argument against scientific beliefs of the world, but his assumption is that the bible is actually the word of god, and therefore an accurate historical record. I would have liked to have that been posed to him, because most of his arguments are contradictory when you take this into account.

If you look through all the old cultures of the world, gods were used to explain the, to them, unexplainable. The Greeks and Romans, for instance had gods to explain what thunder was, what the sun was, etc. The real answer was beyond the comprehension of these people, so the simple, and comforting explanation was, a god.

In the question segment, Nye was asked a number of questions for which he, or science in general, does not have an answer. He happily said as much, and embraced the unknown .

Ham on the other hand, simply reverted back to god, and the bible, which was most probably written by an ignorant, by todays standard, people, to explain the unexplainable, as his explanation. Its simple, easy, and comforting.

This to me is the greatest difference, and why people like Ham are so dangerous, because they would rather simply say because god created it that way, rather that search for the difficult truth.

Nye's constant mentioning of using what you believe to be able to predict things is also a very important point, and one that Ham was never really ably to counter, not that he really tried.

Besides If God was so smart, and created everything, why did he not know that hares, which he created, do not chew cud?

“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

dwaino

« Reply #69 on: February 07, 2014, 08:18:29 PM »
Re: Ham not there and the Bible is what I said  :P I meant I was glad that Nye just didn't reply with that for the good of the debate. I meant what you said.

The problem with the bible, especially the new testament is that it was only started to be written hundreds of years after the events, and then had the books, especially the gospels, decided upon at the council of nicea much later. Hardly the word of god when it was decided on by man. Not to mention the translations from latin and greek. Then King James bastardised it more again.

This isn't a debate about the legitamcy of the bible though. What you said about the Romans and such is spot on. Long ago it was science. Ancient man used gods or similiar to try and explain what they didn't know. In ancient Egypt science and religion went hand in hand. When Erestophanes determinded the Earth was round, the circumference etc he wasn't persecuted and there was no science vs religion debate. Unlike many creationists in ancient times science wasn't seen as an institution to undermine their faith (and it still isn't) but rather a process for learning and discovery. Creationism is a hypothesis that is no longer required. Like George Smith said in Atheism: The case against god, the world of god gets much smaller with every new discovery.

The problem with creationists who argue this topic is that they first need to argue the nature of god. Ham didn't do this. Is it an omnipotent god who can create a square circle? If Ham knows can he show us? If not it's not omnipotent, if he doesn't know then the entire argument is over.

I strongly agree with your third last paragraph. It's why religion should be kept out of schools. Children should be taught rational and critical thinking and have the choice to decide for themselves later on.

On this subject I try to refrain from directing at the Christian god in particular,  but on your last paragraph: all those people who died in let's say 9/11 (purely an example, nothing implied). Why did their god not intervene? a) not a loving or compassionate god after all , b) was not able (thus not omnipotent), c) does not exist.

And that's about all I can run off from the tiny screen of my phone lol.

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #70 on: February 07, 2014, 08:27:12 PM »
yeah tiny screens on smart phones suck.

along with Justin Bieber,  pretty much disproves intelligent design.

dwaino

« Reply #71 on: February 09, 2014, 06:08:41 PM »
After the debate 22 creationists asked atheists 22 questions. The questions were rather daft and not worth noting, but here is a pretty funny translation to some of the questions ;D

http://imgur.com/gallery/PbBTk

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #72 on: February 09, 2014, 06:31:50 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVmdCAT7Rc8

dont bother watching after the 1 minute mark

dwaino

« Reply #73 on: February 09, 2014, 07:17:28 PM »
 :lol

Love that show.

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #74 on: February 09, 2014, 08:36:54 PM »
i just remembered too, that Nye made a mistake with his calculations about how many animals were on the ark.

noah only took one par of each unclean animal, of the others, and the birds he took 7 pairs.
Take with you seven pairs of every kind of clean animal, a male and its mate, and one pair of every kind of unclean animal, a male and its mate, 3 and also seven pairs of every kind of bird, male and female, to keep their various kinds alive throughout the earth

which of course greatly inflates the number of animals he took on board