Author Topic: Picks 31, 33 & 42. Any ideas?  (Read 25128 times)

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Picks 32, 34 & 43. Any ideas?
« Reply #105 on: November 09, 2012, 01:16:21 PM »
the thing that we have started taking into account more recently is the character of the kids we draft. The emphasis on kids that have a drive to succeed and are competive by nature is a quantam leap for this club, but one that really is common sense and should have been in place for years

If this had been in place when Post was drafted, i highly doubt he would have been. He did have raw talent, but lacked intensity on the field. If there is any truth to the talk that he will now go back and play with his mates playing park footy, then that basicaly sums up why he never cut the mustard.

All the talent in the world is useless if you don't have the drive and desire to succeed.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #106 on: November 09, 2012, 01:34:51 PM »
If he doesn't get picked up then where should he play? VFL for 200 bucks a game?

And how did Troy Taylor, Dan Connors, Dean Mcdonald, Heslin etc go on these character tests...

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #107 on: November 09, 2012, 01:54:46 PM »
If he wanted to play AFL footy, then yeah, the state leagues are where you go to try to earn a second chance. But the talk was not about what he would do if he didnt get picked up, but if he got delisted. IF that is true, it shows no real desire to play AFL. Im pretty sure i read somewhere that he took a bit of convincing to even try and make a career out of footy.

Connors was recruited before this came into play, and the elements of character I specifically mentioned were competitiveness and drive to succeed.

Taylor and mcdonald were abysmal failures. Late picks with talent but not the drive, which is probably why they were late picks. It will be intersting to see how they handle late picks like that in the future. talented kids with ? on their attitude, kids with good attitude but are average footballers, or mature age blokes doing OK at state level?

Heslin, well its hard to predict if someone will get homesick when you take them half way around the world, but again its a international rookie pick , which is slightly different to a first round national draft pick.

You don't agree that a drive to succeed and competive nature are elements that increase the chances of a kid becoming a good AFL footballer?
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019.2020
« Reply #108 on: November 09, 2012, 02:21:02 PM »
You cannot tell me that any picks they made prior to 2010 can't be judged because they didn't have all those things you have talked about here and in other posts. These blokes are meant to be professionals and they should know good, young talent when they see it. FJ and others should get credit for their good picks prior to '10 and they should also got judged on their poor choices

"defining the measurements, coding points, key stats, KPIs that need to be measured and determine a player's position."

Maybe I'm old fashioned but it all sounds like a bit of a wank to me. You've talked about that player points rating thing they have in previous posts and it's got me stuffed how you could rate a player based on that. Jake King would surely score poorly. Addam Maric  may be ranked better. Whatever happened to watching the kids play and coming to a decision on who you will target after watching them and analyzing them over a long period of time? I can tell you that Richmond sure as hell weren't in Tassie every weekend watching Jeromey Webberley play in 2009. Because if they were then he would have still been running around at Clarence refusing to go near his opponent for the last 3 years.

What do you do if your research and data etc says Stephen Hill is better than Michael Hurley? I know who I would be picking and no stat or any kind of research would make me think otherwise. That's just from watching both guys very closely. Not sure what my point has even become now, I dunno. I think I'd just be expecting a well paid recruiter (who obviously must know his stuff) to still be able to make good decisions after watching these young guys play for such a long time. His picks prior to 2010 are fair game for everyone to judge, IMO
Top post Coach.  :thumbsup
The club that keeps giving.

Offline Danog

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #109 on: November 09, 2012, 02:24:01 PM »
Interesting to see if we try and snap up Ben Jacobs with 34.

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #110 on: November 09, 2012, 02:40:38 PM »
If he wanted to play AFL footy, then yeah, the state leagues are where you go to try to earn a second chance. But the talk was not about what he would do if he didnt get picked up, but if he got delisted. IF that is true, it shows no real desire to play AFL. Im pretty sure i read somewhere that he took a bit of convincing to even try and make a career out of footy.

Connors was recruited before this came into play, and the elements of character I specifically mentioned were competitiveness and drive to succeed.

Taylor and mcdonald were abysmal failures. Late picks with talent but not the drive, which is probably why they were late picks. It will be intersting to see how they handle late picks like that in the future. talented kids with ? on their attitude, kids with good attitude but are average footballers, or mature age blokes doing OK at state level?

Heslin, well its hard to predict if someone will get homesick when you take them half way around the world, but again its a international rookie pick , which is slightly different to a first round national draft pick.

You don't agree that a drive to succeed and competive nature are elements that increase the chances of a kid becoming a good AFL footballer?

All that poo with Post is just hearsay really. If he nominates for the draft and doesn't get picked up then that's the end of his career. May as well go and play football where you enjoy it.

I don't even know what a competitive nature is. Hardwick said that Chaplin has a competitive nature, so maybe it's not a good thing to have? But yeah, having drive to succeed would be ideal in a draftee.

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #111 on: November 09, 2012, 03:08:28 PM »

Taylor and mcdonald were abysmal failures. Late picks with talent but not the drive, which is probably why they were late picks. It will be intersting to see how they handle late picks like that in the future. talented kids with ? on their attitude, kids with good attitude but are average footballers, or mature age blokes doing OK at state level

Or just upgrade our picks so we don't have late picks.  :pray

Offline tigers_of_old_1980

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #112 on: November 09, 2012, 04:50:29 PM »
Personally I rate the kid and reckon he'll be gone before pick 34. Was taken with pick 16 in the 2010 draft and quite possible stagnated (had glandula fever too) at PA. I'd like to see our defensive coaches weave their magic on him, then throw him in the midfield to support Cotch, Lids, Tuck etc.
10 PREMIERSHIPS

Ruanaidh

« Reply #113 on: November 09, 2012, 05:31:03 PM »
Personally I rate the kid and reckon he'll be gone before pick 34. Was taken with pick 16 in the 2010 draft and quite possible stagnated (had glandula fever too) at PA. I'd like to see our defensive coaches weave their magic on him, then throw him in the midfield to support Cotch, Lids, Tuck etc.
Agree totally. From all accounts the draft drops off after the first round and BJ, in the right environment, will be a good depth midfielder IMO.

Online torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #114 on: November 09, 2012, 09:05:32 PM »
Hope Richmond draft Jesse Lonergan!

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #115 on: November 09, 2012, 10:36:14 PM »
Lonergan won't be around by the time of our second pick.

Anyway the AFL draft machine fan mock draft has the following names going to our three 2nd round picks....

32. Daniel Currie  (ruckman, North Adelaide)

34. Matthew Dick  (utility/defender, Calder Cannons)

43. Jackson Thurlow (medium defender, Launceston)

The full mock draft which has almost 140 names plus bio and video of each kid is here: http://draftmachine.afl.com.au/

Offline Loui Tufga

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Beaver BLT
« Reply #116 on: November 09, 2012, 11:35:05 PM »
Lonergan won't be around by the time of our second pick.

Anyway the AFL draft machine fan mock draft has the following names going to our three 2nd round picks....

32. Daniel Currie  (ruckman, North Adelaide)

34. Matthew Dick  (utility/defender, Calder Cannons)

43. Jackson Thurlow (medium defender, Launceston)

The full mock draft which has almost 140 names plus bio and video of each kid is here: http://draftmachine.afl.com.au/

If we draft either of those 3 with those picks I will spew!! Currie with 43 maybe but he other 2 should go very late in the draft if not rookies at best!

Offline Coach

• Hardly A Prude
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Depend on Schulzy
« Reply #117 on: November 09, 2012, 11:50:38 PM »
Thurlow will go top 60 at least. Has spoken to several clubs

Offline Loui Tufga

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Beaver BLT
« Reply #118 on: November 10, 2012, 12:01:35 AM »
Thurlow will go top 60 at least. Has spoken to several clubs

Yep, 50 to 70 at best..... ;)

the claw

« Reply #119 on: November 10, 2012, 12:02:09 AM »
claw was challenging their later pick ability.  I reckon the metric's are key to getting the later picks right.  That was the point I was addressing.  I should have been clearer.

I agree for the top 15/20 (S Hill and Hurley) you don't need that level of detail.  It was blatantly obvious you didn't need it for Cotch.

It's a bit of the Moneyball analysis that gets the "gems" later in the draft or via trade or Free Agency.  The stuff that the Swans and Cats seem to have above others.  But they've been doing bits of this since the mid-90's.  10 extra years of data, expertise and knowledge.  And look how long their recruiter's have been there.
was i?  i was challenging their ability to  first properly manage the list and secondly use top 50 picks ie 1st 2nd and 3rd round picks effectively. geez i can not only question 2nd and 3rd rnd picks but 1st rounders as well.
and i disagree with you i think from 05 to 09 they can be judged its too early to call after.
i can categorically say i know many rank amateurs who have better records than these two with no resources but their own time.
while resources may have been  limiited  to them compared to some other clubs  they have far more than those amateurs i know.
well funded or not as pros they should be doing better with those picks. if a good pecentage of 2nd 3rd rounders dont come thru from 09 onwards we will remain mired in mediocrity.