Author Topic: Americans and their guns  (Read 33962 times)

Ox

Re: Americans and their guns
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2012, 07:13:11 PM »
Fear not.
'Tis the dawning of Aquarius.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2012, 09:11:25 PM »
Is there?
so the only thing that has changed that could have a bearing is that people can no longer get semi autos? that is the only variable that has changed? (besides there being more nutbags than ever, IYO)

what is it about semi autos, do you think, that makes people flip out and want to kill a heap of people that other types of repeaters dont do?
Do they smell different to bolt actions?
do they implant subliminal messages that lever actions can only dream to achieve?
Are they made out of cursed metal that is not suitable for pump actions?

what is this magical force that semi autos possess?
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2012, 10:50:57 PM »

Pretty obvious I would have thought but anyway. The amount of lead a semi auto can get out in a short space of time is the main difference.
Faster carnage.

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2012, 11:13:29 PM »
So Al do you not agree with banning guns or putting some law is place is a good start??

If not how would you start in finding the root of the problem.

I myself think guns won't solve the issue but it sure will reduce the access to such easy material to kill like this bloke.

It's like the West Gate Bridge and the rails that were put in place. A few people said why bother they will find another way to commit suicide. Whilst that may be true I think when you put a barrier between someone and something sometimes they may think twice and seek help or get help.

In this example the barrier is having difficulty obtaining an easy access to guns. Sometimes an extra 5 minutes to buy a gun may be enough to thwart such an evil thing.

Who knows
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2012, 12:26:13 AM »
fair enough daniel, but restricting guns to those that go through a supposedly stringent gun test is different to the banning of a certain type of gun.

the other issue is that supposed "gun control" is seen as the solution. the politicians get browny votes, the massses get their way and everthing goes along the same. thats where it ends. start and finish.

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2012, 12:46:14 AM »

Pretty obvious I would have thought but anyway. The amount of lead a semi auto can get out in a short space of time is the main difference.
Faster carnage.

actually that is not the case.
a high powered pump action can have a bullet in the breach by the time you bring it back down from  the recoil. I think a lever action is pretty close too. with practice even a bolt action isn't too far behind

The ability to shoot a large number of slow, confined, frightened , confused animals isnt that great a dfference, if at all.

if anything a manual loading gun makes you slow down and be more precise, and are generally more reliable than semi autos.

did you know that julian knight was knocked back from the army reserves because they thought he was a whacko?

so how did he have any guns? what type they were is irrelevant.

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2012, 05:48:20 AM »

Faster carnage.

actually that is not the case.
a high powered pump action can have a bullet in the breach by the time you bring it back down from  the recoil. I think a lever action is pretty close too. with practice even a bolt action isn't too far behind

The ability to shoot a large number of slow, confined, frightened , confused animals isnt that great a dfference, if at all.

if anything a manual loading gun makes you slow down and be more precise, and are generally more reliable than semi autos.

Al, what you say may well be true , IF you know what you're doing with a shotgun but some of these semi autos can fire off 100 rounds without having to reload.
They are clearly the weapon of choice when it comes to mass killings. The stats out of America speak for themselves.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2012/07/mass-shootings-map

It's pretty clear to me that we're not going to agree on this one so I'll leave you to it. 8)

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2012, 06:12:46 PM »
do you understand the difference between causal and association?

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2012, 06:19:49 PM »
According to Ch 7 news tonight, in the States they are now producing bullet-proof backpacks for schoolkids.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2012, 05:24:43 PM »
The NRA's answer to the latest massacre - wanting armed security guards at US schools. Surprise surprise - not!  ::) So what happens when the next massacre occurs at a shopping mall or at another cinema or at another university or in a city building or on public transport or when a gunman walking/driving down a busy street just opens fire in a crowded area such as Times Square on NYE? Are the NRA going to want armed security on every street corner in America just so they can resist any moves to legislate to outlaw semi-automatics?! Yep a really practical and cost-effective solution that one  ::). Not to mention armed guards wouldn't have stopped Lanza having access to these weapons in the first place that belonged to his mother in their house whom he shot dead first.

Just on aside, I was flicking through the tv channels last night and came across some American reality show called Black Oil. These two guys in a ute were late for work at one of the nearby rigs and were speeding down this road when all of a sudden another ute at the junction ahead cuts them off to stop them. A woman carrying a shotgun then gets out of her ute and walks up to them and after asking them where they were going says "this is my private property and this is my private road which has a 10 mph speed limit; if I catch you two stupid rednecks driving that fast again down my road, I'll shoot your tyres out!". Welcome to hickville America! :yep :wallywink
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #40 on: December 27, 2012, 01:27:01 PM »
I'd guess if there's one thing 'good' coming out of this, is that every shooting in America is now being reported and everyone can see how out of control it is over in the States when firefighters attending a fire are being shot and killed. Does the NRA expect them to hold a water hose in one hand and a gun in the other!  ::).

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2013, 05:54:24 AM »
The most scary thing is it right wing want to fix the issue by putting guards into every school carrying guns to prevent shootings.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2013, 10:19:46 PM »
Another one

If only every school in America had guards in every school

:whistle

dwaino

« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2013, 04:50:29 PM »
Lol. And right on queue, they've bought video games into it. Easier to blame parents for letting their kids play games than accept that they have a problem with their society, and their society alone.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2013, 10:51:55 PM »
I bet Leigh Sales wanted to knock the block off of that pro-gun loopy from the States she was interviewing tonight. "They aren't assault weapons they are defensive weapons." Yep semantics is really important when the weapons are used in massacres ::). Yep if you give gun-control a try and it works you don't need or want to go back dopey  :stupid.