Author Topic: Essendon face AFL probe/Players found Guilty by CAS  (Read 561653 times)

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Essendon face AFL probe
« Reply #645 on: June 25, 2013, 09:20:48 AM »
Bendigo to fill the void for TV rights

Essendon are no longer aligned with Bendigo so that's not an option  ;D

Bumbling Bombers have there own stand alone VFL side these days, perhaps they will need to use the 15 odd blokes VFL listed blokes they have to fill the void  :thumbsup

:thumbsup

regardless all bodes for some interesting times ahead for that disgraceful club.

they have gone past the blues now. Salary Cap cheating now this.
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #646 on: June 25, 2013, 09:22:44 AM »
Tim Watson is as deluded as the  Essen skata footy club if he thinks we are buying into what he is saying. For what it's worth Watson has been talking malakies all through this saga dating back to when he took the coaching job at St.Kilda. :wallywink

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #647 on: June 25, 2013, 09:26:55 AM »
Bendigo to fill the void for TV rights

Essendon are no longer aligned with Bendigo so that's not an option  ;D

Bumbling Bombers have there own stand alone VFL side these days, perhaps they will need to use the 15 odd blokes VFL listed blokes they have to fill the void  :thumbsup

:thumbsup

regardless all bodes for some interesting times ahead for that disgraceful club.

they have gone past the blues now. Salary Cap cheating now this.

They are all from the same pod Carlcheat and Essen skata.
Rorters of the rules to the highest degree.
To me they are the same low life filth.
This was just a new more modern way to cheat based on what the blues got busted doing in 2002.
Hope they pay for it dearly. That is my concern. :shh

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #648 on: June 25, 2013, 09:34:24 AM »
Tim Watson is as deluded as the  Essen skata footy club if he thinks we are buying into what he is saying. For what it's worth Watson has been talking malakies all through this saga dating back to when he took the coaching job at St.Kilda. :wallywink

Tim thinks he is Obama.

Can't spin out of this champ. Your son is a cheat.

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #649 on: June 25, 2013, 09:54:16 AM »

hahahahahahaha

Tucker and Bents have made this thread very enjoyable to read i must admit.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019.2020
« Reply #650 on: June 25, 2013, 10:00:28 AM »
I reckon the players will take this to court.

He stated very carefully that he signed the form that clearly stated what they were receiving but that it was given the ok by "the club and the club doctor".
To me he seemed to be very specific in that he signed off on something that both the club and doctor had signed off on so in his mind they are blameless in this regard.

If my son was recruited to the bombers and was embroiled in this whole scandal there would be no chance in hell that after signing that form my son would be responsible for taking a substance that was banned when the club doctor and the club signed off on it that it wasn't banned.
I'm not sure what a player was supposed to do in this scenario after they had already effectively arranged a form that basically exonerates them from that responsibility?

The club and the club doctor however are stuffed.

Ignorance is not a defence under WADA/ASADA rules, And ignorance appears to be what the players arguing

WADA will say that it is up to each individual to check for themselves and clarify.

Whatever happens it was a very foolish thing for Jobe to say on live TV
So hypothetically, your son is amongst the players at Essendon, that have this cloud of doubt hanging over his head.
What else was he supposed to do?
First of all you trust the club and the club doctor.
Secondly you have signed a form that states clearly the drugs used in the program are compliant under the rules and are signed off by ASADA.
What else was your son meant to do in this case?
Take the drug to a chemist for private testing?

I'm not supporting the club in this case at all but looking at in the light of the players perspective I know that if it was my son I'd be fighting to clear his name in this and I'd certainly be furious at the club and most of all the club doctor for allowing this to happen. 
The club that keeps giving.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #651 on: June 25, 2013, 10:32:11 AM »
So hypothetically, your son is amongst the players at Essendon, that have this cloud of doubt hanging over his head.
Secondly you have signed a form that states clearly the drugs used in the program are compliant under the rules and are signed off by ASADA.

I'm not supporting the club in this case at all but looking at in the light of the players perspective I know that if it was my son I'd be fighting to clear his name in this and I'd certainly be furious at the club and most of all the club doctor for allowing this to happen.

Seriously, if my 18 yo son in his first season came home and said they want me to sign this form I'd want to know why? it's not like it was common practice.

So the question is why now suddenly does this club want my kid to sign something no other club gets their players to do?

I would then get on the phone to his manager and ask him is this normal? Do other clubs do it? If not why not?

Supposedly the players were told prior to them being issued with the forms that this "programe" was "cutting edge stuff", so that would be enough of an alarm bell for me to tell my kid not to sign. 

You ask what else was he supposed to do? Not sign the form. The EFC could not force him to sign. I would hope that my kid would have the courage to question rather than being a sheep. If he did sign it and then I found out I'd be onto the my kids manager so quick demanding answers.

When it comes to drugs being in used in a program supposedly "cutting edge" you'd want absolute proof. Players get educated when it comes to drugs and the one thing they are told - if there is any doubt don't take it. To be asked to sign a form that no other player at any other club had to sign should have been enough of a flag to people to ask questions and demand answers. And if those answers were not forthcoming then I'd check it out for myself.

As I said ignorance is rightly; no defence under the rules of WADA/ASADA. If it was then more than half of the drug cheats in sport would not have been banned.

The players at the EFC need to take responsibilty for their actions whether that's the youngest or oldest bloke on the list. That's what I'd expect my kid to do take responsibility

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #652 on: June 25, 2013, 11:26:26 AM »

Seriously, if my 18 yo son in his first season came home and said they want me to sign this form I'd want to know why? it's not like it was common practice.

So the question is why now suddenly does this club want my kid to sign something no other club gets their players to do?

I would then get on the phone to his manager and ask him is this normal? Do other clubs do it? If not why not?

Supposedly the players were told prior to them being issued with the forms that this "programe" was "cutting edge stuff", so that would be enough of an alarm bell for me to tell my kid not to sign. 

You ask what else was he supposed to do? Not sign the form. The EFC could not force him to sign. I would hope that my kid would have the courage to question rather than being a sheep. If he did sign it and then I found out I'd be onto the my kids manager so quick demanding answers.

When it comes to drugs being in used in a program supposedly "cutting edge" you'd want absolute proof. Players get educated when it comes to drugs and the one thing they are told - if there is any doubt don't take it. To be asked to sign a form that no other player at any other club had to sign should have been enough of a flag to people to ask questions and demand answers. And if those answers were not forthcoming then I'd check it out for myself.

As I said ignorance is rightly; no defence under the rules of WADA/ASADA. If it was then more than half of the drug cheats in sport would not have been banned.

The players at the EFC need to take responsibilty for their actions whether that's the youngest or oldest bloke on the list. That's what I'd expect my kid to do take responsibility
My understanding was that the club didnt ask for the forms, the senior players wanted assurances that the club and the club doctor were accountable to ASADA's regulations especially considering this program was cutting edge, so they asked for the new supplement program to be compliant and they wanted it in writing and by signing it the players were agreeing to the program on the basis that what they were given was compliant under the regulations.
If the club and the doctor have supposedly done all the checks then you would think you'd be safe.
Secondly as Mcveigh has already explained that the supplements issued were all listed so there wasn't any secret to any of them in what they were taking.
If you can't trust your employer or the club doctor who can you trust?
I'm not sure a player manager would have as much insight as a club doctor either.
What I found interesting from Jobe's interview last night was that he clearly mentioned both the club and the club doctor had given the assurances that the program was safe and compliant under the current rules at the time.
What's even more interesting is the deafening silence of the club doctor in all this.
The letter of concerns he supposedly wrote nobody can find. Why didn't he email it to some people?
The media haven't mentioned him at all as accountable other than stating how esteemed he is in the industry.
The club stuffed up big time and should be seriously punished by the AFL.
The club doctor was inept if this was allowed under his supervision. He should never be allowed near a sporting club again.
I don't think it's that easy to blame the players in all this as I think in hindsight its easy to say what you would do but at the time trust plays a big part in it all.
How many current players ask their club doctor what they're injecting each time they are injected? Or do they ring their managers first to get permission so the doctor can do his job?

gerkin greg

« Reply #653 on: June 25, 2013, 11:33:35 AM »
I can cope with players not being banned if the club is stripped of premiership points for this season, medals handed back, banned from participation in more than one draft, fined in excess of $2M, Hird & Thompson are stood down, and they are labelled forever the drug cheats that they are.

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #654 on: June 25, 2013, 11:45:35 AM »
Jobe was a guest on the coch tonight and admitted taking AOD but still thinks he did nothing wrong.

That whole club are seriously dilluded. They have to be gawn seriously.

Robbo's has sent out a tweet saying Jobe will regret admitting that on live tv

It's like the Bumbers are some kind of cult and all players, coaches and supporters have been brainwashed.

An athlete was suspended for 18 months FFS and all he did was order a banned substance, he didn't even use it!!

Bye bye Bombers, if your fans weren't such idiots then I might feel a little bit sorry for you.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline taztiger4

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Shovelheads - Keeping hipsters off Harley's
« Reply #655 on: June 25, 2013, 11:52:21 AM »
Jobe was a guest on the coch tonight and admitted taking AOD but still thinks he did nothing wrong.

That whole club are seriously dilluded. They have to be gawn seriously.

Robbo's has sent out a tweet saying Jobe will regret admitting that on live tv

It's like the Bumbers are some kind of cult and all players, coaches and supporters have been brainwashed.

An athlete was suspended for 18 months FFS and all he did was order a banned substance, he didn't even use it!!

Bye bye Bombers, if your fans weren't such idiots then I might feel a little bit sorry for you.

Trav Casserley took 2 sudafed & got banned for 2 years !!!

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #656 on: June 25, 2013, 12:07:10 PM »
My understanding was that the club didnt ask for the forms, the senior players wanted assurances that the club and the club doctor were accountable to ASADA's regulations especially considering this program was cutting edge, so they asked for the new supplement program to be compliant and they wanted it in writing and by signing it the players were agreeing to the program on the basis that what they were given was compliant under the regulations.

If this is true then the players are bigger "dills" than I thought. If they wanted in writing assurances that everything was compliant and then not one of them bothered to investigate the compliance levels themselves they are complete morons.

They were clearly concerned, clearly, so why didn't someone, anyone go off to the ASADA or WADA website themselves and bloody well check? Rather than saying to the Club you check and put it in writing and will sign off on it. It isn't hard to research these things yourself.

If the club and the doctor have supposedly done all the checks then you would think you'd be safe.
Essendon have 2 doctors BTW but more on that later.

But as I said above if you have concerns then invesitgate it yourself. They had concerns and what did these "dills' do? They just said "tell us it's compliant and that'll do us". Please give me a break

Secondly as Mcveigh has already explained that the supplements issued were all listed so there wasn't any secret to any of them in what they were taking.

That's certainly not what he said Ch7  a couple of weeks back. He said he found out in his interview that he'd been given things that he didn't know about. So which is it? Sadly, when it comes to McVeigh and his comments on this I don't listen as he blames eveyone else (the rogue element) but himself and the Club

If you can't trust your employer or the club doctor who can you trust?
As a professional sportsmen and knowing the penalities regarding taking drugs in your chosen professional I would think you trust yourself first and others 2nd. And lets not kid ourselves using your scenario they didn't trust their Club or the wouldn't have asked for the assurances

I'm not sure a player manager would have as much insight as a club doctor either.

I never said the player manager would know more than a doctor. But a player manager would have the answers to the question I raised about these forms. Not only that it is a plater manager's role is to look out for the best interest of his client, informing him means he has a duty of care to look into these matters on his clients behalf

What I found interesting from Jobe's interview last night was that he clearly mentioned both the club and the club doctor had given the assurances that the program was safe and compliant under the current rules at the time.
What's even more interesting is the deafening silence of the club doctor in all this.
The letter of concerns he supposedly wrote nobody can find. Why didn't he email it to some people?
The media haven't mentioned him at all as accountable other than stating how esteemed he is in the industry.
The club stuffed up big time and should be seriously punished by the AFL.
The club doctor was inept if this was allowed under his supervision. He should never be allowed near a sporting club again.

Just to pull you up here.

Essendon has 2 doctors. One is a their long standing one Dr Reid. He is the one who wrote the letter and it was indeed emailed to people, Evans their chairman has confirmed this. 2 people who it was emailed to are no longer at the Club, Suggest you ask them what happened to the letter and why they didn't infomr the board.

Secondly, it was Dr Reid who went to the EFC board over this and raised his concerns about what Danks was doing.

It has also been reported that a number of the injections happened off site without a doctor being present, which in itself is a serious breach of WADA/ASADA rules. Players have confirmed this and said Club doctors were not present

So I am not sure how you can whack a doctor for something he didn't know about. When he found out he did something about it

Want to go about whacking people whack the golden child Coach who gave Danks unlimited freedom despite the concerns of the chief medico (again reported and not denied by anyone within the EFC)

I don't think it's that easy to blame the players in all this as I think in hindsight its easy to say what you would do but at the time trust plays a big part in it all.
How many current players ask their club doctor what they're injecting each time they are injected? Or do they ring their managers first to get permission so the doctor can do his job?

Re your final comment, I never said anything about getting a players managers permission to partake in the program. What I suggested is if as a player or a parent of a player you had any concerns then you could contact the manager and find out of this sort of program was the norm in the industry. Massive difference

We are not talking to about getting jab for pain, we are not talking about getting a legal tablet to treat a cold or headache. We are talking about a program that was "cutting edge" and involved doing things that are not stock standard in the industry (eg going off site for injections without a doctor present). You have a right to ask questions. You should be asking questions. You fail to do that then you have to face the consequences of your actions or more to the point your stupidity 

The players must take responsibility here rather than saying I did nothing wrong. Because on the surface they did do something wrong.
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #657 on: June 25, 2013, 12:24:41 PM »
Spot on WP tiges your wrong

Consent form??? Guess what they can't find it

It's lost as they conveniently tell us.

You'd think the consent form had something along the lines of "Essendon FC don't hold responsibility for any side effects and legal trouble these supplements get you in." If they are actually real you'd think they're something you'd keep very very safe and if I was given a consent form as a player or even a regular joe at the doctors I'd be asking for a copy to keep for myself.

Also, it doesn't matter if Jobe is telling the truth and he thought the drug was legit or not, he can't stay in the competition because it's just not fair on other players who bust their gut and fat boy couldn't so he had help with AOD.

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #658 on: June 25, 2013, 12:54:03 PM »
You give some really good points WP.

I'm just playing devils advocate here on the players behalf.

Absolutely agree that Hird has to go. The media won't like it and there will be plenty of debate over the "golden boy". But as he's already stated in the original club press conference was that he takes full responsibility for what's happened. More the likely Hirds mates in the media will conveniently forget all about what he said.
The club will have to be heavily punished too. 

In light of the arguements, common sense & evidence you've so expertly put forward, there are still a few questions left unanswered;
Did any player at the club inform their parents or player managers about the program?
Did altleast one parent or player manager know about this?
If they did, did they approach the club for clarification on what was given to their kids/clients?

As you've already stated its mindboggling if atleast one parent or manager or the players association didnt know about this. And if they didn't, why didnt they know? Was it so top secret the club informed the players not to talk about it to anyone?

That said I still think the players will fight tooth and nail to clear their names.

gerkin greg

« Reply #659 on: June 25, 2013, 01:09:12 PM »
Pretty sure they players had to sign confidentiality agreements, or that formed part of the consent form???