Author Topic: Our low tackling stats  (Read 4622 times)

tony_montana

Re: Our low tackling stats
« Reply #45 on: April 16, 2013, 08:40:05 PM »
What I found quite interesting is this stat

*Ranked 2nd in least Opponent Tackles Per Game

So we average 43.7 tackles per game, our opponents only average 49.7

Nice pickup  :cheers

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #46 on: April 16, 2013, 08:55:05 PM »
I understand what you all are saying but if we don't start putting some real pressure on the opposition it will be our undoing. 

Like Ive said before, its all good when we play teams around or below us. But this soft limp wristed footy won't cut it come finals time. That's when you get found out playing so free and easy uncontested footy. The tough teams will pull your pants down.

To me its a concern but i suppose the next three weeks will be a great test for us.

I sort of agree. If the opposition start pushing 60 tackles against us, I don't want us trailing with 43-44 tackles I want us around the same mark. But if the game is played on our terms we don't need huge tackle numbers so I guess it just depends, when the pressure is on can we adapt and put on big tackling stats?
Out of curiosity, considering our high uncontested style of footy, what would you like our tackling numbers to be? Would you prefer us to shift to contested and get even more tackles? Or are you happy with uncontested as long as we hike the tackles up to the 50 mark?

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #47 on: April 16, 2013, 09:24:44 PM »
I understand what you all are saying but if we don't start putting some real pressure on the opposition it will be our undoing. 

Like Ive said before, its all good when we play teams around or below us. But this soft limp wristed footy won't cut it come finals time. That's when you get found out playing so free and easy uncontested footy. The tough teams will pull your pants down.

To me its a concern but i suppose the next three weeks will be a great test for us.
did you actaly watch the game on the weekend or just look at the stats Monday morning.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #48 on: April 17, 2013, 05:47:55 AM »

did you actaly watch the game on the weekend or just look at the stats Monday morning.

Al, that is as lazy a post as Mr Tigras.
Of course there will be more pressure acts in finals football - playing the Pies on the weekend will be a great test on our ability to absorb that pressure.
Collingwood are a much better side than the Bullies so they will pile on the pressure - it will be interesting to see if we are able to absorb it.
By contrast, our pressure on the Bullies was fantastic - they barely got a stat away with out being under severe duress.
It's whether we can handle the massive step up in intensity for 100 minutes.
Tell you what, get off to a good start Tigers and that last qtr against the Hawks might start to get contagious. Pies looked lost.
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019.2020
« Reply #49 on: April 17, 2013, 06:02:28 AM »

I sort of agree. If the opposition start pushing 60 tackles against us, I don't want us trailing with 43-44 tackles I want us around the same mark. But if the game is played on our terms we don't need huge tackle numbers so I guess it just depends, when the pressure is on can we adapt and put on big tackling stats?
Out of curiosity, considering our high uncontested style of footy, what would you like our tackling numbers to be? Would you prefer us to shift to contested and get even more tackles? Or are you happy with uncontested as long as we hike the tackles up to the 50 mark?

These are interesting questions YR.
Questions I might be able to answer better after the next three weeks are completed.

But I'll give them a go:
I would think any team would be expecting an average of 60 tackles per game.
I've haven't got an issue with our game style but you must remember we haven't played finals for a long time. I don't think any of our current list has had any finals experience.
What you notice during finals footy is that its mostly man on man and the whole game is contested.
Hawthorn play a similar game style as us. But in last years grand final against the swans it was man on man pressure contested footy and the better team at contested footy ended up winning.
The club that keeps giving.

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #50 on: April 17, 2013, 06:05:36 AM »

Al, that is as lazy a post as Mr Tigras.
Of course there will be more pressure acts in finals football - playing the Pies on the weekend will be a great test on our ability to absorb that pressure.
Collingwood are a much better side than the Bullies so they will pile on the pressure - it will be interesting to see if we are able to absorb it.
By contrast, our pressure on the Bullies was fantastic - they barely got a stat away with out being under severe duress.
It's whether we can handle the massive step up in intensity for 100 minutes.
Tell you what, get off to a good start Tigers and that last qtr against the Hawks might start to get contagious. Pies looked lost.
I agree with you Y&B this week will be a massive test.
I would be happy if we can play the whole game on our terms and smash them just as we smashed the dogs.
But I still believe you won't get away with it come finals time.

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #51 on: April 17, 2013, 06:11:21 AM »

I was there Al.
The pressure was great on an inexperienced team that doesn't take much to show up their lack of skill.
We really showed them up it was quite obvious which team had more polish, poise and talent.
I'm looking forward to Saturdays game though which will be a great test for us.
I will be there in the hope we smash them too.  :gotigers

tony_montana

« Reply #52 on: April 20, 2013, 05:31:29 PM »
Today is exactly why I found this concerning. Need to harden up a bit across the board and get more physical more often. 2 tackles in about 25mins of football in the 3rd qtr.

Ruanaidh

« Reply #53 on: April 20, 2013, 06:22:37 PM »
Today is exactly why I found this concerning. Need to harden up a bit across the board and get more physical more often. 2 tackles in about 25mins of football in the 3rd qtr.
I couldn't count the amount of times we went to ground whilst attempting to tackle meanwhile letting our opponents go on their merry way

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #54 on: April 20, 2013, 06:30:38 PM »
for the first quarter and at the start and end of the 2nd our tackling and pressure was good.

In the third we wilted under the pressure they applied to us and naturally our pressure on them dropped off, as well as nearly every other aspect of our game.

In the first half they seemed to get a lot of uncontested possessions across their half back line but then we constantly caused turnovers across our half back. it was hard to tell on the TV why this happened and if it was the plan or just the way it worked out?

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #55 on: April 20, 2013, 06:44:00 PM »
33 seems to be a pitiful number of tackles   Not even 2 each ::)
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #56 on: April 20, 2013, 06:45:23 PM »
for the first quarter and at the start and end of the 2nd our tackling and pressure was good.

In the third we wilted under the pressure they applied to us and naturally our pressure on them dropped off, as well as nearly every other aspect of our game.

In the first half they seemed to get a lot of uncontested possessions across their half back line but then we constantly caused turnovers across our half back. it was hard to tell on the TV why this happened and if it was the plan or just the way it worked out?

Changed your mind after today's game it seems Al?

Ive been banging on about my concerns after the first game and every win we've had.
Ive said you can get away with this softie girly lollipop footy against teams around and below us but play the seasoned finals teams and theyll pull down your pants like the pies did today.

And you asked me if I watched the games.  Pffft!
I could bloody see this coming.....
Question is do you go to games???

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #57 on: April 20, 2013, 06:57:43 PM »

Ive been banging on about my concerns after the first game and every win we've had.
Ive said you can get away with this softie girly lollipop footy against teams around and below us but play the seasoned finals teams and theyll pull down your pants like the pies did today.

changed my mind? what drugs are you on. you seem to to change your mind all the time. one minute you say last week we improved then you say you could see it coming coming.

I asked if you went to games because you made a post that indicated you thought we continually were poor in this area, straight after a game in which we put in a good display. when questioned you made a statement that you acknowledged this, yet still said that if we continue play an unaccountable way, so which was it?.
so you were at the game? are you saying even though you were at the game, you think the only area we fell down in in the third was tackling. besides that every thing we did was hunky dory?
as ox would say.

You uneducated imbecile.

Kiss my ass.

:rollin :rollin

Vintage Ox  :thumbsup

Just out of curiosity, would you say 50 is an acceptable tackle count.

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #58 on: April 20, 2013, 07:13:51 PM »

changed my mind? what drugs are you on. you seem to to change your mind all the time. one minute you say last week we improved then you say you could see it coming coming.

I asked if you went to games because you made a post that indicated you thought we continually were poor in this area, straight after a game in which we put in a good display. when questioned you made a statement that you acknowledged this, yet still said that if we continue play an unaccountable way, so which was it?.
so you were at the game? are you saying even though you were at the game, you think the only area we fell down in in the third was tackling. besides that every thing we did was hunky dory?
as ox would say.

You uneducated imbecile.

Kiss my ass.

:rollin :rollin

Vintage Ox  :thumbsup

Just out of curiosity, would you say 50 is an acceptable tackle count.
We are like an egg.
Break the shell and its all soft and gooey inside.
Let's hope they learn something from this game and improve this area because we won't be able to stand when finals come around.
We will get our pants pulled down. Fact!
Soft footy won't cut it as Paul Roos acknowledged today.

Its not just the tackling count its the pressure acts also.
We need to change and become a hardened tough no compromise footy team.
Its very important in my opinion.
Our first two weeks were painting a concerning picture and even though we improved this against the dogs you must agree that they are very young and inexperienced team and easily pushed aside as we once were.
So yes we improved but we were only as good as the limited pressure applied by a team in development mode.
Today was hopefuly a wake up call.

I think it's important anyway.

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #59 on: April 20, 2013, 07:16:56 PM »
of course its important, just as absorbing the opponents pressure is important. As i said, in the third quarter we wilted and all aspects of our game went out the window, not just our tackling.

do you want to answer the question, would 50 have been an acceptable tackle count?