Author Topic: Riewoldt contract talks stall / 9 big name Tigers out of contract (Age)  (Read 8422 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Riewoldt stalls on new deal

Caroline Wilson
     The Age
    June 17, 2013

Stalled contract talks between Richmond and its gun forward Jack Riewoldt have become a growing concern at the club, with Greater Western Sydney confirming again that Riewoldt remains firmly in its sights.

The unsigned 24-year-old, like teammate Dustin Martin, remains at odds with the club over money.

Riewoldt and Martin head a list of nine big Tiger names coming out of contract at the end of the season.

It was that situation, coupled with a number of financial demands deemed unrealistic by the Tigers' list management team, which recently prompted the club to urge its senior group to consider the collective sacrifice required for September success.

Of the nine, only Brandon Ellis is understood to have come to terms with Richmond. The club is expected to announce in the coming days that it has re-signed the teenaged star for a further two years.

A bid to extend Nick Vlastuin's contract until the end of 2016 is also on the cards.

Tigers football boss Daniel Richardson called a meeting of the senior group before the round-10 game against West Coast in which he and his recruiting boss Blair Hartley addressed the players.

They reportedly reminded the group that successful teams were required to make sacrifices in order to remain together.

Richardson and his team appear determined to end a period of almost two decades in which Richmond, unsuccessful for three decades, has overpaid a small group of stars in order to retain them.

The view from board level down is that Richmond can now offer its players good facilities, big games, quality coaching and player development along with - most significantly - a genuine prospect of playing in finals.

Riewoldt and his new manager Liam Pickering are working to achieve a three-year deal for the dual Coleman medallist, who was praised on Saturday by coach Damien Hardwick as having his most successful season.

With Riewoldt and Richmond significantly apart over the financial size of the contract, GWS chief David Matthews told Fairfax Media that his club was ''super keen'' to look at luring Riewoldt to the Giants.

He said Riewoldt, along with Lance Franklin and the Brisbane Lions' Matthew Leuenberger, remained their most sought-after potential recruits.

Riewoldt already earns more than $500,000 a year and Martin well over $400,000 in deals reached by former manager Ricky Nixon when GWS was in its formation stages.

Martin, now managed by Ralph Carr, is understood to be significantly further apart than Riewoldt in his contractual talks with the club, although both have indicated they want to stay at Richmond.

Reece Conca, Dylan Grimes, Alex Rance, Jake King, Daniel Jackson and Chris Newman are also out of contract at the end of the season.

Former skipper Newman and the club remain mutually keen for the 31-year-old to play on next year. Early last year, Brett Deledio signed a five-year agreement worth close to $3 million.

Richardson, who managed captain Trent Cotchin before replacing Craig Cameron as Richmond's head of football in February, has previously denied the club faced a salary cap squeeze.

The first sign of the harder line on player payments came with Cotchin's new deal, an agreement that was announced late last month with little fanfare given that both parties had hoped for a four-year agreement.

The deal was halved because club and captain could not come to terms over a longer financial deal.

Cotchin told 3AW on Sunday that he was ''backing himself in'' to fulfil his expectations over the next two seasons in a bid to sign a longer deal next time.

It is not known whether the Hartley-Richardson address to the players mentioned the lessons of other clubs but the example of Geelong - where star players have been prepared to sacrifice some individual reward for team success - was not lost on the Tigers, with the team poised to play finals for the first time since 2001 and only the third time since 1982, when it lost the grand final to Carlton.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/riewoldt-stalls-on-new-deal-20130616-2ocic.html

Offline jordie2tivendale

• Premiership Captain
  • For We're From Tigerland
Must resign Martin priority number 1

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
I doubt CC had the balls to force the issue - this will be a true test of "player development" and JRs commitment to the Tiggy cause....
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Interesting read, especially the bit about Cotchin 

Good test of how committed this group is to the ethos of sticking to together for success, as per the Geelong model
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
we need to let 2 or 3 of these players go so we can overpay for someone like franklin
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Rampstar

this shouldnt even be happening, the club has to stand its ground but in the end, I feel  that the club will do the deals, looking at the list - Luke McGuane (300k), Robbie Nahas (250k), Shane Tuck (250k), Lonergan, Stephenson and Derricks (probably 200k) combined could all be either traded or delisted. Thats 1 million dollars that should be taken out of the salary cap at the end of the year. I dont think we will target a free agent this year but we will probably bring in 5 or 6 players via the draft which would cost about 400k in total. Thats 600k freed up and that should be enough to keep all the players. If they dont Accept then thats fine they can pee off.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 10:01:47 AM by Rampstar »

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
this shouldnt even be happening, the club has to stand its ground but in the end, I feel  that the club will do the deals, looking at the list - Luke McGuane (300k), Robbie Nahas (250k), Shane Tuck (250k), Lonergan, Stephenson and Derricks (probably 200k) combined could all be either traded or delisted. Thats 1 million dollars that should be taken out of the salary cap at the end of the year. I dont think we will target a free agent this year but we will probably bring in 5 or 6 players via the draft which would cost about 400k in total. Thats 600k freed up and that should be enough to keep all the players. If they dont except then thats fine they can pee off.

Spot on.

If we lose anyone of value due to these spuds its an utter joke.

Delist the spases

Pay them out

Give the guns the extra $

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
Ramps,

Lonergan & Stephenson are rookies and even though they are both elevated rookies their coin wouldn't be close to $200-$250k combined. 

reckon if Tucky is on $250k then that's a bargain and I don't think any supporter would begrudge him that

It will come back to who they chop seasons end and how much that saving is remembering they will bring someone in via FA

But understand your point though.

Offline Simonator

• RFC Hall of Fame
How does Caro even know all of this is true?

I doubt the part about Cotchin the most especially since he said he signed a 2 year deal to keep him on his best game and not get too comfortable. I trust the captain of RFC over her.

dwaino

Pick 1 for Boyd and Adams and/or Cameron plskthx

Offline Tiger Tragic

• RFC Hall of Fame

I doubt the part about Cotchin the most especially since he said he signed a 2 year deal to keep him on his best game and not get too comfortable. I trust the captain of RFC over her.

I wouldn't doubt Caro and her RFC sources, usually pretty accurate.

Did you believe the tripe about Cotch only taking 2 yrs to keep him on his toes? 

Offline JVT

• RFC Hall of Fame
Riewoldt for Cameron and Tyson . . .  :whistle

Offline JVT

• RFC Hall of Fame
FWIW I think they'll all sign on and this is just another article to fill in a quiet news week.  ;)

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond

I wouldn't doubt Caro and her RFC sources, usually pretty accurate.

Did you believe the tripe about Cotch only taking 2 yrs to keep him on his toes?