Author Topic: Richmond vs Fremantle - Round 17, 2013 / Derby Hangover  (Read 9305 times)

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Richmond vs Fremantle - Round 17, 2013 / Derby Hangover
« Reply #45 on: July 17, 2013, 01:37:24 AM »
I believe the biggest "out" for the dockers is mcpharlin.

Has been the master of Jack recently .
Unleash the tornado

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Docker Nathan Fyfe not angry at Tiger Jackson (West Australian)
« Reply #46 on: July 17, 2013, 06:38:51 PM »
Docker Nathan Fyfe not angry at Tiger Jackson

West Australian
    July 17, 2013

Star Fremantle on-baller Nathan Fyfe is confident there will be no ill feelings when he confronts Richmond midfielder Daniel Jackson in Sunday's AFL clash at the MCG.

Fyfe was handed a two-match suspension for kicking Jackson earlier this year in Fremantle's gripping one-point victory over the Tigers in Perth.

The 21-year-old could have accepted a one-match ban for the incident, but his unsuccessful challenge at the tribunal increased the penalty to two games.

Fyfe said he wasn't thinking too much about a potential re-match with Jackson.

"I could come up against him again. But there are no ill feelings or anything like that," Fyfe said.

"Those things happen in footy and we move on."

Fremantle skipper Matthew Pavlich addressed the player group on Tuesday after being handed a three-match ban for his head-high bump on West Coast's Mitch Brown.

Fyfe said a group address was common practice for players who got suspended.

"As a player that gets suspended, and I was one earlier in the year, we have to acknowledge that it's an undisciplined act that ultimately led to him being out of the side," Fyfe said.

"I was same earlier in the year. So it's important that we address it to the group because it's something we don't want to happen.

"He's done that and we move on now."

Read more: http://www.watoday.com.au/afl/docker-nathan-fyfe-not-angry-at-tiger-jackson-20130717-2q3rj.html#ixzz2ZI3F3Q57

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #47 on: July 17, 2013, 06:44:00 PM »
"The Dockers will also be without goalsneak Hayden Ballantyne, who has been ruled out for two weeks due to a hamstring injury.

Ballantyne kicked the winning goal against Richmond in round five, and his absence is a big blow to the Dockers, especially with Pavlich also out of action."

This is another positive - this little prick has towelled us endlessly over the years.
No Ballantyne, McPharlin and Pavlich is a huge bonus for us.
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #48 on: July 18, 2013, 01:40:45 PM »
Record crowd predicted on Sunday - 52,000.

Previous Rich vs Freo best was 43,801 at the 'G last year.

Highest ever Freo H/A crowd was 45,436.

Read more at: http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2013-07-18/record-crowd-tipped-for-sunday

Offline Tiger Tragic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #49 on: July 18, 2013, 01:43:47 PM »
Record crowd predicted on Sunday - 52,000.

Previous Rich vs Freo best was 43,801 at the 'G last year.

Highest ever Freo H/A crowd was 45,436.

Read more at: http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2013-07-18/record-crowd-tipped-for-sunday

That would be great - 50K RFC supporters in that - Freo will poo themselves

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
« Reply #50 on: July 18, 2013, 02:11:50 PM »
13 degrees
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #51 on: July 18, 2013, 08:37:57 PM »
VIDEO: Spotlight on Round 17

Richo and assistant coach Danny Daly preview the Freo game ...

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/video/2013-07-18/spotlight-on-round-17

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #52 on: July 19, 2013, 12:21:21 AM »
13 degrees
And rain. Similar to last year's conditions at the 'G.

We've played ordinary footy over the past month for lengthy periods during games even against bottom sides so on form I'm nervous about Sunday. Our last decent performance was against Adelaide. Since then we bullied the young light-bodied doggies in an open unaccountable affair, beat the Saints thanks to one (2nd) quarter (terrible first qtr though), got flogged by North and finally had a pitiful 1.5 opening quarters versus the Suns before waking up. That formline won't cut it against Freo. Nor will relying on Freo being weaker because Pavlich and Ballatyne aren't playing. I'm hoping our habit of often playing to the level of our opponents will raise our standard of footy back up to a decent level given we are up against a top 5 team. 
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Look out Tigers, Freo's out to get you from behind (Age)
« Reply #53 on: July 19, 2013, 03:45:24 AM »
Look out Tigers, Freo's out to get you from behind

Opposition analyst
    The Age
    July 19, 2013

'Mayne's manic men in Richmond rearview mirrors.''

On the long flight across Australia, I pondered what I had seen in the western derby. Of special interest was how Fremantle would respond against West Coast, coming off a dose of its own defensive medicine at the hands of Geelong - admittedly a road trip as imposing as any visit to Subiaco.

It turned out to be an exciting contest, for three-and-a-bit quarters, before the superior Dockers accelerated to a good win. I was captivated to watch the extreme work-rate and defensive pressure of the Fremantle small-to-medium half-forwards, led and marshalled by the supremely fit Chris Mayne. Mayne's supporting cast includes Matthew De Boer, Michael Walters and the effervescent Hayden Ballantyne.

Mayne has transformed to become the ''Simon-Peter'' of Ross Lyon's band of purple disciples - he embodies the follower who has bought into and plays to the total creed of Lyon's defensive system. He has the physical capability and, more importantly, the mental strength to stay focused on his role within that system. That role is to play an integral part of the pincer movement that traps opposition players and causes the midfield to commit front-half turnovers that invariably lead to Fremantle kicking winning scores.
Advertisement

The first quarter was a battle between the two ways of scoring - goals from stoppages versus goals from turnovers. West Coast showed glimpses of its ability, with Dean Cox and Nic Naitanui rucking to the irrepressible Matt Priddis, who had dodged the Ryan Crowley clamp (Crowley was sent to Chris Masten). At the first change, the Eagles led the stoppage count 13-9.

Fremantle, on the other hand, had scored goals from turnovers with its press defence, and although it was behind on the tackle count (18-28), it was where those tackles had been effected and by whom that had allowed it a two-goal lead at quarter time.

Time and time again it was the Fremantle small-and-medium forwards who were making the tackles on the West Coast ball carrier. In the first quarter, Mayne had three tackles, De Boer four and Ballantyne one - that is almost 50 per cent of the Freo tackle count coming from defensive-minded forwards.

The Richmond midfielders and rebounding half-backs had better beware on Sunday - if they check their rearview mirrors they will see Mayne and his manic men coming at them from behind at a great speed, looking to pick them off as part of the Lyon defensive system.

It works like this. As the ball is turned over through an opposition intercept or a skill error, most midfields dutifully push back to help out their defenders and try to win the ball back.

With a lot of teams, there is a time lag before the forwards start to work up the ground to join in that part of the game. With the Fremantle press system, the midfielders do push back, but to a limit, before coming forward and at the opposition ball carriers.

As well as the midfielders, often you will see the Fremantle forwards getting well up the ground, even into their own defensive 50, before turning to press forward again, or releasing hard back towards the forward line. Mayne demonstrated this early in the third quarter, when he ran forward off his man to press the West Coast ball carrier. The resultant Freo tackle caused a turnover and led to a Stephen Hill goal.

The secondary part of the system relies on the Freo forwards pushing high up the ground, following the ball as it leaves their forward 50 area - ready to sweat on any opposition ball carrier who freezes when faced by the Freo midfielders pressing forward at them. Then the pincer snaps shut, and often it is the Freo forwards who snap it shut, making their tackles from behind on unsuspecting opponents. It is a clever system, one that works spectacularly well, especially when executed by fit and committed players such as Mayne and De Boer.

Make no mistake though, Mayne and his fellow forwards are still out there to hit the scoreboard. Mayne shares the goalkicking lead at Fremantle with Walters, both with 27, with Ballantyne trailing with 19 as Fremantle looks to share the load.

Of the AFL's top 20 goalkickers, Mayne has the second-most tackles with 59, only slightly behind Luke Breust from Hawthorn.

Tiger midfielders, you have been warned.

The opposition analyst works in that role for an AFL club.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/look-out-tigers-freos-out-to-get-you-from-behind-20130718-2q7br.html

gerkin greg

« Reply #54 on: July 19, 2013, 10:24:10 AM »
whatevs bro

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #55 on: July 19, 2013, 12:21:14 PM »
Morris will be the biggest factor to the game then, given this information. If he can shut Mayne down both offensively and defensively, it will go a long way towards us winning the game particularly with Ballantyne absent. Houli is the other key. We need to take risks moving the ball forward out of defense and not stop, prop and swing it sideways. If we do this we will lose. The midfielders will need to lead, provide space and Vickery will need to provide a long marking option.

Do that and we'll win.....and kick accurately of course  :P

Interesting

Offline MADTIGER2010

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #56 on: July 19, 2013, 12:26:15 PM »
Forecast for Sunday is sunny now. Forecasts varying between 11 and 13

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
« Reply #57 on: July 19, 2013, 12:41:59 PM »
Forecast for Sunday is sunny now. Forecasts varying between 11 and 13

Link?
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #58 on: July 19, 2013, 01:14:07 PM »
Sunday 21 July

Summary
    Min 5
    Max 13
    A few showers.

Melbourne area

Cloudy. Scattered showers. Winds north to northwesterly and light, increasing to 20 to 25 km/h during the morning.

http://www.bom.gov.au/vic/forecasts/melbourne.shtml

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame