Author Topic: Shaun Hampson / Hammertime [merged]  (Read 318143 times)

the claw

Re: Shaun Hampson Officially a Tiger
« Reply #330 on: October 09, 2013, 12:37:06 AM »
geez i cant believe people dont value top 30 picks its unbelievable.
any way not here to debate the merits of pick 28 in the nd.

what i am asking based solely on shaun hampsons 7 yrs  of footy would you use pick 28 based on.

his performances to date. or in a way performances against peers.
his statistical data.
his strengths and weaknesses.

for me its a definate no.

imo the club has made this decision based almost entirley on potential. they see something in him that no one else does. good on em i hope it works out.
i have to say though im absolutely against useing these types of picks on players with these types of performances. with those sort of stats and with those weaknesses.
what would appease me somewhat is if they found a way to get back into the second round.

oh just on 2nd and 3rd rnd picks.
over the last 5 yrs ive looked long and hard at geelong so i will use them as an example.
can anyone tell me how many 2nd and 3rd round picks played in their 2011 premiership.  the answer is 12 they went with the 7 first rnd picks that played.

im not going to argue i have my views on this topic which i have voiced regularly for me its a constant process.  which is you take kids in the first 3 rounds and you do everything else later. the only exception to this would be a taylor adams for our first round pick. at 20 yrs of age hes very much a long term prospect.

id be happy to give away a second rnd pick for a proven player of a good standard.  hampson for me is neither proven or shown himself to be at a consistent afl standard  and thats after 7 yrs.
its funny to watch peoples attitudes and opinions change yr after yr to suit. all i ask is we put in place good processes to asses players and stick to it.

gerkin greg

« Reply #331 on: October 09, 2013, 08:31:10 AM »
I think it's called "Internet nuffers".
So called experts who look on surface when judging the outcome.
Just laughable

Cue HRT. ;D

The nuffers need to be held to account as they hold the club to account. I sit on the cheap seats in judgement as they sit in the cheap seats in judgement  ;D

:lol :clapping

Offline Dice

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #332 on: October 09, 2013, 10:38:09 AM »

what i am asking based solely on shaun hampsons 7 yrs  of footy would you use pick 28 based on.

his statistical data.

imo the club has made this decision based almost entirley on potential. they see something in him that no one else does. good on em i hope it works out.
i have to say though im absolutely against useing these types of picks on players with these types of performances. with those sort of stats and with those weaknesses.
what would appease me somewhat is if they found a way to get back into the second round.

over the last 5 yrs ive looked long and hard at geelong so i will use them as an example.
can anyone tell me how many 2nd and 3rd round picks played in their 2011 premiership.  the answer is 12 they went with the 7 first rnd picks that played.

im not going to argue i have my views on this topic which i have voiced regularly for me its a constant process.  which is you take kids in the first 3 rounds and you do everything else later. the only exception to this would be a taylor adams for our first round pick. at 20 yrs of age hes very much a long term prospect.

id be happy to give away a second rnd pick for a proven player of a good standard.  hampson for me is neither proven or shown himself to be at a consistent afl standard  and thats after 7 yrs.
its funny to watch peoples attitudes and opinions change yr after yr to suit. all i ask is we put in place good processes to asses players and stick to it.

Ok now I'm really worried. That's twice in one day I agree with you. I need a bex and good lie down.

I'm yet to meet a person who hasn't had a little chuckle at my expense about us giving up pick 28 for Hampson. Always use your early picks on kids.
Tanking has put the club where it's at - Paul Roos

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #333 on: October 09, 2013, 10:44:33 AM »
FWIW Rory Sloane went at 44

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #334 on: October 09, 2013, 11:05:21 AM »
Looks like we payed overs but perhaps Maric's groin is more of an issue than we are letting on. Maybe he is unable to now compete effectively against tall ruckmen or ruckmen that have a big leap because he can't get off the ground any longer. This problem would be particularly obvious during center bounces.

Perhaps Maric will now play more forward and take more ruck contests as the game progresses and ruckmen tire while Hampson will ruck more early and more center and backline.

I think the gap between Maric and Vickery (ruck work) plus Stephenson (around the ground) is too great and that is why Hampson has been brought in. Maric can't play out a season any longer (Dimma stated this) and will need regular breaks throughout the season. The problem also may get worse so the issue was immediate.

I think it is this that forced us over a barrel making us pay overs. A necessary evil I guess but a loss imo. Hope Hampson does a Maric and takes the role by the horns and embarrasses Carlton for letting him go..... :-\

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #335 on: October 09, 2013, 11:12:44 AM »
I just hope he's not a Trojan Collin's cleverly orchestrated by Carlscum, but I guess the words cleverly and Carlton are not regular bedfellows.

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #336 on: October 09, 2013, 11:52:34 AM »
Plenty of bedfellows at Carlscum. Just not clever ones.

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #337 on: October 09, 2013, 06:43:09 PM »
lot's of bed wetters, too.
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline DCrane

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Belle, Richmond PR manager
« Reply #338 on: October 09, 2013, 09:45:29 PM »

his statistical data.

Great post, agree 100%  :clapping

And as always some interesting food for thought Stripes. I think you might be onto something, Maric may well be finished as a leap ruckman.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #339 on: October 09, 2013, 09:56:53 PM »
@ claw

and yet you were not overly happy with the Richmond ruck division prior to this trade, were you?

What situation would you have preferred where we keep said pick, and yet improved our draft stocks to a satisfactory position?

No doubt another state league ruckman going around you believe we could a) land in the rookie draft or there abouts, b) be good enough to be competition to Maric?

---

37   Stephenson, Orren (R)   14   31yr 2mth      200cm   104kg   
20   Maric, Ivan   118   27yr 9mth      200cm   102kg   
39   Derickx, Tom   2   25yr 10mth      201cm   100kg   
    Hampson, Shaun   63   25yr 6mth   2   201cm   104kg
29   Vickery, Tyrone   75   23yr 4mth      200cm   97kg
24   Griffiths, Benjamin   19   22yr   1   200cm   104kg   
34   Mcbean, Liam   0   19yr 1mth      202cm   86kg   -   

You will agree the ruck division looks more balanced, dare I say competitive than previously.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 10:15:15 PM by Bentleigh-esque »

gerkin greg

« Reply #340 on: October 09, 2013, 10:18:55 PM »
Griffiths is the best ruck we have

the claw

« Reply #341 on: October 09, 2013, 11:46:44 PM »
@ claw

and yet you were not overly happy with the Richmond ruck division prior to this trade, were you?

What situation would you have preferred where we keep said pick, and yet improved our draft stocks to a satisfactory position?

No doubt another state league ruckman going around you believe we could a) land in the rookie draft or there abouts, b) be good enough to be competition to Maric?

---

37   Stephenson, Orren (R)   14   31yr 2mth      200cm   104kg   
20   Maric, Ivan   118   27yr 9mth      200cm   102kg   
39   Derickx, Tom   2   25yr 10mth      201cm   100kg   
    Hampson, Shaun   63   25yr 6mth   2   201cm   104kg
29   Vickery, Tyrone   75   23yr 4mth      200cm   97kg
24   Griffiths, Benjamin   19   22yr   1   200cm   104kg   
34   Mcbean, Liam   0   19yr 1mth      202cm   86kg   -   

You will agree the ruck division looks more balanced, dare I say competitive than previously.
in fairness  yes i agree.  but bloody hell hapmson it seems will be replacing derickx how hard to find a more competetive ruckman.
if ivans groin is so bad though why not go.
billy longer for pick 11. absolutely worth this pick and we have our ten plus yr ruckman who can play some senior footy now.
 take joilly who wants to continue playing as ivans back up and then hopefuully target a good kid like darcy cameron with hopefully the compensation pick we get for white and mcguane.  we could sit back and not worry about our ruck stocks for the next 10 yrs apart from trying the rookie route evey few yrs.

you know if ivan is shot taking hampson is an even bigger risk based on what i have said in regards performance etc, its all or nothing.

at the end of the day hampson is a now / today trade but if he fails we are left up the creek without a paddle. we keep big o and we dont bring any yoiung ruckman into the system. its staring us in the face but all we can see is right now. all ican say is with this strategy it had damn well better work out.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #342 on: October 10, 2013, 07:39:54 AM »
I really think that FJ and BH feel like that we have drafted many kids over the last few years, many of whom now cannot get senior time to help development. They have assessed this years draft as shallow and so will not load up with kids. Next years draft is allegedly much deeper especially with respect to KPPs, so I imagine they will go hard then for youth. They feel Hampson is heading into his best years as a ruckman so they think that he will complement our stocks better than anyone else for the next three years. Time will tell if the decision is correct.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #343 on: October 10, 2013, 07:58:38 AM »
Reckon it might take a few years to see how good Billy Longer can become as a ruck.
We need to put some serious work into 1 or 2 of Griffo, Elton or McBean over the next couple of seasons and hope one of them can transition as a ruck/forward.

It appears Ty will now be a forward who will pinch hit in the ruck, we need an option who can do the opposite.
Hampson will fill the void in the next 2 years - no world beater but prevents us having the absurd scenario pre Maric of not actually having a ruck.
I reckon the 2nd rounder we have given up is some insight into our concern on Eeevans groins.

Someone mentioned Jolly but he won't come cheap, has injury concerns that at his age will probably get worse and is a bit of a dick.

Someone else mentioned the VFL but in this instance, you've got to back our recruiters who mustn't see enough to go via the rookie draft again or see as a low probability.

A post came from Al - we are giving up pick 31-33 for this guy and the consensus was a 3rd rounder in the 40s - I've kinda come around to agreeing that while it may bite us on the backside, the balance of probability says it won't

Club has don't nothing substantially wrong for me to think we can't back up and play finals again next year. Yes, list doesn't yet look strong enough to be in the Top 4 but I reckon our focus on developing our own players and topping up with recruit who can play a specific role has worked really well for the past 3 seasons and it worth persisting with.
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #344 on: October 10, 2013, 10:28:25 AM »
I agree y&b. Hampson is a role player and will support Maric considerably. I think Vickery may eventually become our ruck option as he develops with McBean taking his place as a forward/ruck. The best thing is that we now have healthy competition for ruck spots and much needed depth in case any of our rucks go down.

Maric's groin is chronic. It will not improved and will need to be managed the rest of his career. He may end up being our version of Brad Ottens where he pops up periodically throughout the season but is kept under wraps for finals  :P I think Maric will end up playing in stints - 5 games then 1 or 2 weeks break - and I know the club has concerns over his leaping ability against the taller/athletic rucks when his groin flares up. He will still prove a valuable contributor and will ruck well for shorter periods than he is expected to play now but I feel he definitely needs more help at a higher standard than Vickery was providing.

An uninjured Hampson could be just the ticket to stretching opposition defences and giving us better clearance numbers in the middle.....just wish we didn't give our second round pick to Carlton  :-X