Author Topic: Shaun Hampson / Hammertime [merged]  (Read 317985 times)

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Shaun Hampson Officially a Tiger
« Reply #1020 on: June 22, 2014, 12:18:11 AM »
Love the part where u said "if the trade was successful" do you actually watch sport cause if you did you would know this trade had zero chance of being successful. Zero zilch nada.

Some people said that about Maric ::)

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1021 on: June 22, 2014, 05:24:00 AM »
Stop diverting pal that al needs to acknowledge he was wrong again which is becoming a concerning trend for the old fella

But just on that Maric look where that has got us too

Third last pal and still haven't won a final. All good though as we made one only to lose to 9th.

Monkeyball is for losers and that's what our club is at the minute

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #1022 on: June 22, 2014, 07:15:39 AM »
lets all calm down please. back on topic
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1023 on: June 22, 2014, 09:40:58 AM »
Al, let's not go in circles. Nothing about having the balls to call someone out, but what's the point? We stuffed up and shouldn't have done it.

Hampson trade was always going to be a shocker. You argued we needed him to fill a void. But what's the point.

If you want evidence that post round 2 picks are worth holding. Ask Collingwood how Tom Langdon is going. Think everyone would have rathered rolling a dice on a kid than Hampson.

Pick 2 is better than any Rookie Pick. Anthony Miles is going OK.

It's as bad as the McMahon trade.
yes i may have argued we needed to fill a void, (surely you are not saying we didnt have that need) but i never ever argued that hampson was the one to do so. I had no opinion on him one way or the other as i had not seen him play, which i said at the time.

as i said in my previous post, and at the time, if you trade in a dud, you trade in a dud. If we had given up pick 80, it wouldnt have changed a thing,he is still a spud and the trade was a mistake. Not because of what we gave up for him, but because we got him at all - full stop.

now when someone says, for instance that certain draft picks have a low percentage of coming good, how does naming one of the few prove otherwise? If the claim had been that none of those drafts pick come good, yeah naming one person would be a valid argument, but what you have done is like pointing out one win on the pokies and claiming that is a good way to make money.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1024 on: June 22, 2014, 09:50:06 AM »
Stop diverting pal that al needs to acknowledge he was wrong again which is becoming a concerning trend for the old fella

But just on that Maric look where that has got us too

Third last pal and still haven't won a final. All good though as we made one only to lose to 9th.

Monkeyball is for losers and that's what our club is at the minute
For someone that once questiones someone elses education, you clearly have the comprehension skills off a gnat.

You are either incapable of, or refuse to understand the points i was/am trying to make.

but as usual with you, once you see something that you think you may even remotely disagree with, the red haze clouds your narrow mind and the test pattern kick in.

As for money ball being for losers, I'm sure Paul roos and his premiership sides would disagree with you, but hey you worked out you can call it Monkeyball, and that ever so humorous play on words surely makes up for any lack of knowledge you have on the matter or ability to think logically or rationally.

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #1025 on: June 22, 2014, 03:06:25 PM »
Al I havent changed my opinion on the 2 main points here:

1: We should never have drafted in Hampson, for many reasons, ranging from he wasn't good enough for any trade whether it was pick 30 or 80 or even on a free. He wasn't good enough to be on our list if we wanted to go for top 4. If we were GWS and needed to fill a ruckman void, then sure. Also for the fact that with Hampson on the list he costs $$ and takes away experience from a younger player.

I think we both agree on that, although I recall at the time you were happy with the trade cause there was no other alternative. Since the trade McEvoy went to Hawthorn for a not to different pick plus Shane Savage. If we had any guts we could have easily have got McEvoy who is someone we should have aimed at if we wanted to go for top 4.

2:
We shouldn't be throwing away 2nd round draft picks for gambles regardless of the % rate of success. Not all first round draft picks are successful, we have a cupboard full of them. Hows Jack Watts going as pick 1? Lachlan Hansen as pick 3? Not exactly AFL elite. Should we trade away first rounders as well cause they are not a sure bet? Where is the line that you draw for trading picks for players? Its a hard one to be so specific but you can judge it on each individual case. Pick 32 was what we gave up for Hampson, that was simply overs.

Is Pick 32 a sure bet, no, is pick 10, not really but close. No point arguing that (x) pick is less or more likely to be worth it unless you compare to the alternative. Pick 32 may not have been guaranteed a successful player but it had a chance. Shaun Hampson is a chance to turn into a decent player but not a very good chance. Bout the same chance as Tom Derickx. Why throw away pick 32 for a sideways move?

Just have to look at his work around the ground, his failed marks and his kicking for goal to see that SURELY the 32nd best kid in the draft had a better chance at making AFL level than this moose. Another shocker by RFC and Hartleys Heroes.
Go Tigers!

Gigantor

« Reply #1026 on: June 22, 2014, 03:51:11 PM »
Money ball is definitely  not a new concept .the most successful era of recent times included many players recruited by us who were struggling elsewhere.Robert Macghie,wayne walsh,paul sproule,mick malthouse,peter welsh.and also ones that were duds.Its hit and miss like most things

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1027 on: June 22, 2014, 04:03:01 PM »
Al I havent changed my opinion on the 2 main points here:

1: We should never have drafted in Hampson, for many reasons, ranging from he wasn't good enough for any trade whether it was pick 30 or 80 or even on a free. He wasn't good enough to be on our list if we wanted to go for top 4. If we were GWS and needed to fill a ruckman void, then sure. Also for the fact that with Hampson on the list he costs $$ and takes away experience from a younger player.

I think we both agree on that, although I recall at the time you were happy with the trade cause there was no other alternative. Since the trade McEvoy went to Hawthorn for a not to different pick plus Shane Savage. If we had any guts we could have easily have got McEvoy who is someone we should have aimed at if we wanted to go for top 4.

2:
We shouldn't be throwing away 2nd round draft picks for gambles regardless of the % rate of success. Not all first round draft picks are successful, we have a cupboard full of them. Hows Jack Watts going as pick 1? Lachlan Hansen as pick 3? Not exactly AFL elite. Should we trade away first rounders as well cause they are not a sure bet? Where is the line that you draw for trading picks for players? Its a hard one to be so specific but you can judge it on each individual case. Pick 32 was what we gave up for Hampson, that was simply overs.

Is Pick 32 a sure bet, no, is pick 10, not really but close. No point arguing that (x) pick is less or more likely to be worth it unless you compare to the alternative. Pick 32 may not have been guaranteed a successful player but it had a chance. Shaun Hampson is a chance to turn into a decent player but not a very good chance. Bout the same chance as Tom Derickx. Why throw away pick 32 for a sideways move?

Just have to look at his work around the ground, his failed marks and his kicking for goal to see that SURELY the 32nd best kid in the draft had a better chance at making AFL level than this moose. Another shocker by RFC and Hartleys Heroes.

Too much to read, please consider your audience and abbreviate your posts

Gigantor

« Reply #1028 on: June 22, 2014, 04:05:01 PM »
OI you saying we have a short attention span...... :thumbsup

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1029 on: June 22, 2014, 04:14:37 PM »
OI you saying we have a short attention span...... :thumbsup

Definitely

Jackstar is back!!!

« Reply #1030 on: June 22, 2014, 06:44:54 PM »
Nuffers doing a good job on here

the claw

« Reply #1031 on: June 22, 2014, 07:16:15 PM »
ive gotta ask what other clubs model are we following this yr.

cant be geelongs.  they think 2nd and 3rd round picks form the nucleus of dynastys.
what do the following have in common apart from being premiership players.
j hunt, d milburn, p chapman, c enright, d wojinski, m scarlett, s johnson, c ling, t lonergan, t hawkins, t west, m duncan, a christensen, g ablett, t harley throw in m stokes a 4th rounder at pick 61.

they are all 2nd or 3rd round nd picks. with stokes a 4th rounder and harley was taken from port by trading pick 37.
some other likely looking types taken in the 2nd and 3rd rounds  who havent played in a premiership are horlin-smith, jansen, joel hamling, shane kersten, taylor hunt, jake koladjashnij,lincoln mccarthy, steve motlop, jordan murdoch, dawson simpson, nathan vardy, jordan schroder,

i think anyone who thinks 2nd and 3rd round picks have no value go talk to the boys down at the cattery.

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #1032 on: June 22, 2014, 07:51:29 PM »
ive gotta ask what other clubs model are we following this yr.

cant be geelongs.  they think 2nd and 3rd round picks form the nucleus of dynastys.
what do the following have in common apart from being premiership players.
j hunt, d milburn, p chapman, c enright, d wojinski, m scarlett, s johnson, c ling, t lonergan, t hawkins, t west, m duncan, a christensen, g ablett, t harley throw in m stokes a 4th rounder at pick 61.

they are all 2nd or 3rd round nd picks. with stokes a 4th rounder and harley was taken from port by trading pick 37.
some other likely looking types taken in the 2nd and 3rd rounds  who havent played in a premiership are horlin-smith, jansen, joel hamling, shane kersten, taylor hunt, jake koladjashnij,lincoln mccarthy, steve motlop, jordan murdoch, dawson simpson, nathan vardy, jordan schroder,

i think anyone who thinks 2nd and 3rd round picks have no value go talk to the boys down at the cattery.

Exactly right Claw. My point exactly.

You'd take any of those players ahead of Hampson any day of the week.
Go Tigers!

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1033 on: June 22, 2014, 08:32:22 PM »
Claw and Pope well said lads couldn't agree more, 2 of the most sensible posters going around. Thrown in Lake, Langdon and some of freos belters they have found as well

Al I hope your reading, you could do with a common sense approach to some of your outlandish posts of late.

#justsaying
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Penelope

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1034 on: June 23, 2014, 08:10:44 AM »
really?

care to elaborate and show which of my so called outlandish statements you refer to and which parts directly counter them? On a point by point basis so the debate doesn't get all over the place like a mad woman's poo would be good

seriously, here's the big chance you have so desperately been awaiting all these years.

put it all together and show the world.

can you put me in my place with something more than a superficial irrational simpleton rant?

#willingtobetyoucant

#inacapableofconstructingsolidarguments