Author Topic: Richmond vs Carlton @ MCG - Round 2, 2014  (Read 10077 times)

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Richmond vs Carlton @ MCG - Round 2, 2014
« Reply #195 on: March 28, 2014, 09:14:42 AM »
Thing that stood as it always does when the opposition gets a "run-on" against us is our lack of leadership.

They went missing (again) which frustrated me no end. And when I speak of leaders I am not just talking about those who called leaders as in those in the leadership group. I am also talking about the experienced blokes like Grigg (disappeared in the 2nd half), Houli, Newman and Foley (he's a major worry ATM)

Though I don't think Dimma helped matters by having Cotchin coming in off the wing late in the 3rd and early in the 4th at centre bounces. If anyone can explain that tactic to me I'd greatly appreciate it  :P

Though Newman was a lot better down back but he still wasn't great.

More annoyed with Vickery after last night. As I posted on another thread, that should be the norm re effort etc. Not his standard "cameo" of a good week and then disappearing for the next 6...

Was really pleased for Griffiths - looked like an AFL footballer last night. Please persist with him RFC. Don't make him the scapegoat when big Ivan comes back  :pray

But as I said earlier... we won, we have the 4 points and that's all that matters
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Rampstar

« Reply #196 on: March 28, 2014, 09:59:15 AM »
One major deficiency I think the game highlighted is our lack of pace around the ground. At times in that second half our players were run around like they were witches hats. We really need to inject some speed into the squad. Even Lids at times looked slow and he is portrayed as an elite athlete but at the same time just can't seem to break a tag. Hopefully our fade out is related to the split round and we need the regular week in week out schedule to maintain our intensity and run for a full game...Just trying to see the glass as half full :)

there is a lot of truth in this post. we lack speed and pace. the likes of newman and foley and afew others are to slow for the game now. we were terrific in the first half and we were disgraceful in the second half. the coach needs to work on plan b if he is to become a premiership coach because we are a long way of it just at the moment.

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #197 on: March 28, 2014, 10:22:34 AM »

Chaplin was awful, if as a defender you are having a bad kicking night, then you should either handball it off or run with it, he seems reluctant to do either, and probably hasn't got enough pace to try it anyhow. The other extremely frustrating thing about his game tonight was his ridiculous air dive in the last which left him on our HFF, then, when we stole the ball back and booted it back to the HFF that Chaplin was still on, he refused to lead into the 20 metres of space in front of him to butter up for the pee tackle 'attempt'. An absolute shocker of a game.

Also, I thought he was meant to be a good intercept mark... dropped everything that came near him.

Shocking game
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

gerkin greg

« Reply #198 on: March 28, 2014, 10:44:00 AM »
SMFO SCUM  :cheers

Q: Do finals start next week? If so, we're stuffed  :clapping

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #199 on: March 28, 2014, 10:54:48 AM »
We won and that's all that matters

;D

Amen. A lot of mental hurdles are overcome with every win against the Blues.

Lots of room for improvement but for now it's on to next week.
this one has the potential to end this poo. Round 1 last year we got lucky when the siren went. Last night we steadied the ship.

gerkin greg

« Reply #200 on: March 28, 2014, 11:07:27 AM »
Missing Maric, Rance, Jackson, Knights from best 22

450 games of experience, #1 ruck, #1 defender, B&F winner, and probably our best medium forward missing

and we only just lost

Offline hyperlite

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #201 on: March 28, 2014, 11:35:10 AM »
Looked slippery out there. I was actually surprised at how hot/humid it was.
Worked up a sweat in that last quarter (i think most people were) and was in jeans and a tee.
Looking at the players too, you'd be fooled into thinking it was a wet game. Griff looked he had just gotten out of the shower most of the night.

The amount of fumbles and dropped marks really stood out too.
We probably should have been the more prepared side in these conditions after playing in humid conditions in RD 1.

either way, so friggen happy to beat the scum!  :gotigers

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #202 on: March 28, 2014, 11:39:37 AM »

450 games of experience, #1 ruck, #1 defender, B&F winner, and probably our best medium forward missing

and we only just lost
:lol

Carlton were missing Kreuzer & wait for it...

...Watson. Like woah look out.  :shh

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #203 on: March 28, 2014, 11:58:31 AM »

and we only just lost

Vladimir ...

Online lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #204 on: March 28, 2014, 12:58:59 PM »

and we only just lost

They were also missing Walker and Judd whom was the catalyst which tore us a new one last year. That being said though I don't think Judd would push himself to the same limit for just 4 points.

That being said very happy with the 4 points. In the 2nd half when we did manage to get possession I did notice a lack of spread which was probably fatigue. Not that Newman had elite kicking yesterday night but I found it interesting (and frustrating) that when he had ball in hand he would stand still and wait for a target to appear.
My biggest major concern is that considering how much time the ball spend in our D50 Grimes only had 4 possessions and laid 1 tackle. I know he's been out of it for long but if you can't get your hands on the ball tackle?

Second major concern is Foley. I didn't think his ball use was that bad and his quick hands for the final rebound 50 which resulted in the Martin goal was good but the fact he has virtually no leg speed makes him kinda redundant as a sub. Kane Lucas didn't exactly tear us up but he did provide a good injection of pace for overlap football. For me the original trademark of what made Foley an asset is his gut running. Without that I don't know if he can actually offer the team anything in the H&A season let alone finals

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #205 on: March 28, 2014, 02:53:30 PM »
One major deficiency I think the game highlighted is our lack of pace around the ground. At times in that second half our players were run around like they were witches hats.

I reckon we had pace in abundance in the first half but as we tired we slowed down heaps.  Hopefully the training program is geared to having us reach peak fitness in about 2-3 more weeks, otherwise we are going to struggle to keep up.

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #206 on: March 28, 2014, 03:15:08 PM »

and we only just lost

They were also missing Walker and Judd whom was the catalyst which tore us a new one last year. That being said though I don't think Judd would push himself to the same limit for just 4 points.

That being said very happy with the 4 points. In the 2nd half when we did manage to get possession I did notice a lack of spread which was probably fatigue. Not that Newman had elite kicking yesterday night but I found it interesting (and frustrating) that when he had ball in hand he would stand still and wait for a target to appear.
My biggest major concern is that considering how much time the ball spend in our D50 Grimes only had 4 possessions and laid 1 tackle. I know he's been out of it for long but if you can't get your hands on the ball tackle?

Second major concern is Foley. I didn't think his ball use was that bad and his quick hands for the final rebound 50 which resulted in the Martin goal was good but the fact he has virtually no leg speed makes him kinda redundant as a sub. Kane Lucas didn't exactly tear us up but he did provide a good injection of pace for overlap football. For me the original trademark of what made Foley an asset is his gut running. Without that I don't know if he can actually offer the team anything in the H&A season let alone finals

The fact they rely on Judd at 30 shows the world of hurt they will be in soon. In fact Walker is just about the same age I think.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #207 on: March 28, 2014, 04:34:10 PM »
Ok just watched the replay....tv coverage didn't really tell me anything new that being there didn't.....it rarely does....stand by everything I said except maybe that Chaplin was a lot worse than I thought and Morris was marginally better than I thought...but still not that great.....
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #208 on: March 28, 2014, 05:23:52 PM »
I remember in the not so recent past that Carlton used to give us an annual flogging.

There was the humiliation that kicked off season 2009.
There was a 90 point loss the following season.
And there was 100 point thumping in 2011.

Now it seems our biggest threat when playing Carlton is ourselves.

Take any win against the blues and run.
Unleash the tornado

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #209 on: March 28, 2014, 05:28:25 PM »
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do