Author Topic: The Hardwick Rebuild Is Dead Long Live the Next Rebuild  (Read 33066 times)

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: The Hardwick Rebuild Is Dead Long Live the Next Rebuild
« Reply #60 on: April 13, 2014, 08:07:52 AM »
the recruiting has shown very little ability in picking 2nd, 3rd or 4th round draft selection prospects who turn out to be any good. All they do is play safe with R1 selections and then sit back and claim they have had some huge success. Picking 1st round selections is easy. I remember even in here in the predraft phantom draft discussion me, gerkin and afew others wanted Dunstan who is a top quality player in the making. Anyone can pick 1st round selections.

Picking first round picks should be easy but that has not always proven right in the case of this club
In all honesty, and not just because we have been putrid this year, IMO our first round draft picks have been pretty average-
Vickory, have to say he has been a 5 out of 10, plays some good games but way to inconsistent.
Cotch, star, 10, our only genuine A grader.
Dusty, massive tick for mine, 8, and could be anything.
Conca, been ok at best, sh4t kick, but has a go, 6
Ellis, from day one I haven't rated him, gets easy kicks and even then goes sides with them most of the time, to scared to make a mistake, 4
Vlastuin, big tick until the other night, seemed like a different player, but still a tick, 7
Lennon, to early to tell, but I'll be honest, looks to be a long way off, and that's ok.
So that's one star and two very good players out of 7 so far.
Still a chance for that to change but if I'm honest with myself I'm only hopefully about maybe one more.
Just my take.
Out of the list - only Vickery atm looks like a poor choice at 8.  To be fair on Ellis, he was choice 15, so nowhere near a top 10 pick and GC had taken the 17 year olds so he was even lower than that. Not many have done better than him overall who where selected after him.
Apart form Heppell not many have been as good as Conca and he has had several injuries to interrupt his development.
Vlastuin is a gem but played like he was still concussed the other night.
Lennon has had knee surgery but I rated him as a junior and was picked outside the top 10. Also copped an ankle 2 weeks ago.  Far too early to tell.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #61 on: April 13, 2014, 08:25:11 AM »
the recruiting has shown very little ability in picking 2nd, 3rd or 4th round draft selection prospects who turn out to be any good. All they do is play safe with R1 selections and then sit back and claim they have had some huge success. Picking 1st round selections is easy. I remember even in here in the predraft phantom draft discussion me, gerkin and afew others wanted Dunstan who is a top quality player in the making. Anyone can pick 1st round selections.

Picking first round picks should be easy but that has not always proven right in the case of this club
In all honesty, and not just because we have been putrid this year, IMO our first round draft picks have been pretty average-
Vickory, have to say he has been a 5 out of 10, plays some good games but way to inconsistent.
Cotch, star, 10, our only genuine A grader.
Dusty, massive tick for mine, 8, and could be anything.
Conca, been ok at best, sh4t kick, but has a go, 6
Ellis, from day one I haven't rated him, gets easy kicks and even then goes sides with them most of the time, to scared to make a mistake, 4
Vlastuin, big tick until the other night, seemed like a different player, but still a tick, 7
Lennon, to early to tell, but I'll be honest, looks to be a long way off, and that's ok.
So that's one star and two very good players out of 7 so far.
Still a chance for that to change but if I'm honest with myself I'm only hopefully about maybe one more.
Just my take.
Out of the list - only Vickery atm looks like a poor choice at 8.  To be fair on Ellis, he was choice 15, so nowhere near a top 10 pick and GC had taken the 17 year olds so he was even lower than that. Not many have done better than him overall who where selected after him.
Apart form Heppell not many have been as good as Conca and he has had several injuries to interrupt his development.
Vlastuin is a gem but played like he was still concussed the other night.
Lennon has had knee surgery but I rated him as a junior and was picked outside the top 10. Also copped an ankle 2 weeks ago.  Far too early to tell.
Conca is massively over rated by people at Richmond IMO. You may want to take a look at his draft if you think only Heppell has been better. All three picks after him are miles better than him.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #62 on: April 13, 2014, 08:32:24 AM »
I just had a look at that draft, I have counted 13 conservatively that I rate better players now than Reece and probably another 5 to 10 that IMO will be better. It was actually a really good draft.

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #63 on: April 13, 2014, 08:47:35 AM »
I just had a look at that draft, I have counted 13 conservatively that I rate better players now than Reece and probably another 5 to 10 that IMO will be better. It was actually a really good draft.
Who are these 13?
Maybe Prestia but he hasn't had any injuries to hinder his development. Certainly not Lucas Cook. Isaac Smith is 2 years older so it's difficult to compare. Lynch really hasn't set the game on fire. Atley has been ok but goes missing when it counts. Ben Jacobs is into his second club. Matthew Watson better than Conca?
Ok Jack Darling - but you can say the same for 16 other teams and he was in trouble with the law at the time.
Give Reece a chance with a full preseason before you pass judgement.  I think that's the only way to be fair.
I'm giving him that chance.

Rampstar

« Reply #64 on: April 13, 2014, 10:16:32 AM »
It's a great thread  ::)
Attack a persons weakness by trolling your own football club. About as courageous as Mcaffers effort on Cotchin  :lol
Mind you Ramps is a master at attacking the exposes nerve

the people who work and earn money from the Richmond Football Club and that includes Players, Coaches and Administrators should be ashamed and embarrassed at the early season form shown by our players. Their wages and salaries are paid for by us the members and sponsors. Every year we turn up, every year we pay money, every year they ask us for more and we pay it, every year their is a new project to fund and we fund it, and every year for the past 34 years our players and administators who are paid by us FAIL US!

If you want to attack me for exposing the weakness thats fine, if you want to attack me for trolling the club thats fine as well AND I tell you  this its absolutely fine because every year I pay my money and every year when they want more I pay more, and every year, every single year for the last 34 they fail me and you and every other supporter of the club Australia wide.

They should be embarrassed about their performances. In season 2014 its been nothing short of disgraceful and I make no apology for that  :cheers

Oh cry me a river ya drama queen.....
Weren't you the same guy that wanted a personal letter before you joined? I'd say your membership is highly conditional on your ego getting massaged.

Considering my length of membership Id say you were wrong. I also wanted the club to do what its done for the last 25 years at least and thats send out membership forms so you are wrong. You are also wrong with your attitude to the club. Its supporters like you who let the club off the hook for their diabolical performance. Youre just another apologist for the failures of the club over the last 34. Dont be such a suckhole HRT, you come across as just another suck up to the administrators at the  RFC.  :cheers

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #65 on: April 13, 2014, 10:53:07 AM »
Said it the other week but IMV the person who should be under the microscope more than anyone right now is Blair Hartley.

He is the one who said lets get Grigg, Houli, Chaplin.

He is the one who said its Ok if we lose White he's replaceable but as yet we haven't replaced him(even Dimma admitted that a pre match coterie function on Friday night).

He's the one who says we should give up draft picks and use it on the FAgents. His job is to build our list, analyse it and improve it. He's is also a major player in telling the recruiting guys what type of players to target.

Based on what we've seen so far this year you have to question what the hell he is doing and whether he has too much say
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #66 on: April 13, 2014, 11:24:34 AM »
Said it the other week but IMV the person who should be under the microscope more than anyone right now is Blair Hartley.

He is the one who said its Ok if we lose White he's replaceable but as yet we haven't replaced him(even Dimma admitted that a pre match coterie function on Friday night).

He's the one who says we should give up draft picks and use it on the limpents. His job is to build our list, analyse it and improve it. He's is also a major player in telling the recruiting guys what type of players to target.

Based on what we've seen so far this year you have to question what the hell he is doing and whether he has too much say
He did well with Grigg and HOuli at the time. Problem is we settled. We keep extending contracts rather than trading and upgrading.

Rampstar

« Reply #67 on: April 13, 2014, 12:36:58 PM »
Hartley probably just feels like he has to produce one of these types of signing every year to justify his job. In the end Grigg, Houli, Chaplin etc etc are just not players that can help us to a flag. Hartley should be scheming up ways to raid GWS and GCS of some youngsters not bringing in 25yo+ rejects from other clubs.

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #68 on: April 13, 2014, 01:00:20 PM »
Hartley probably just feels like he has to produce one of these types of signing every year to justify his job. In the end Grigg, Houli, Chaplin etc etc are just not players that can help us to a flag. Hartley should be scheming up ways to raid GWS and GCS of some youngsters not bringing in 25yo+ rejects from other clubs.
I'd rather we just draft our own stars. They cost a stuff load less. It's the Geelong way. If only numb nuts would play the kids we draft rather than the spuds he forces us to rookie.  :banghead

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #69 on: April 13, 2014, 01:36:39 PM »
Who are these 13?
Maybe Prestia but he hasn't had any injuries to hinder his development. Certainly not Lucas Cook. Isaac Smith is 2 years older so it's difficult to compare. Lynch really hasn't set the game on fire. Atley has been ok but goes missing when it counts. Ben Jacobs is into his second club. Matthew Watson better than Conca?
Ok Jack Darling - but you can say the same for 16 other teams and he was in trouble with the law at the time.
Give Reece a chance with a full preseason before you pass judgement.  I think that's the only way to be fair.
Remember this draft was in 2010, not last year. Conca has had ample time, let's not use injury as his excuse.
Simple kicking and ball handling do not get set back by injury, and I'm afraid Reece is suspect in both pretty important areas of our great game.
Here is my list of people I would do a straight swap for today-
J. Caddy
D.Heppell
D.Prestia
S. Atley
I. Smith
J. Darling
K. Harper
J. Howe
G. Horlin-Smith
L. Parker
T. Liberatore
T. McDonald
A. Johnson
P. Puoplo

And here is my list of players I think will be better than Reece
J. Pitt
T. Lynch
B. Smedts
M. Wallis
C. Guthrie
C. O'Shea

Now I know that your not going to agree with them all and that's fine too but there is 20 odd names that were all drafted after Reece. He is very limited IMO. Doesn't mean I don't like him but I can see we made a mistake taking Reece at pick 6. Can you?....now?

Jackstar is back!!!

« Reply #70 on: April 13, 2014, 01:49:17 PM »

He's the one who says we should give up draft picks and use it on the limpents. His job is to build our list, analyse it and improve it. He's is also a major player in telling the recruiting guys what type of players to target.

Knew Blair when he worked at Essendon editing videos
Horrified when he turned up at Punt Rd
People just get a job as there in the " mates club" system

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #71 on: April 13, 2014, 02:43:22 PM »
Who are these 13?
Remember this draft was in 2010, not last year. Conca has had ample time, let's not use injury as his excuse.
Simple kicking and ball handling do not get set back by injury, and I'm afraid Reece is suspect in both pretty important areas of our great game.
J. Caddy
D.Heppell
D.Prestia
S. Atley
I. Smith
J. Darling
K. Harper
J. Howe
G. Horlin-Smith
L. Parker
T. Liberatore
T. McDonald
A. Johnson
P. Puoplo

J. Pitt
T. Lynch
B. Smedts
M. Wallis
C. Guthrie
C. O'Shea

Now I know that your not going to agree with them all and that's fine too but there is 20 odd names that were all drafted after Reece. He is very limited IMO. Doesn't mean I don't like him but I can see we made a mistake taking Reece at pick 6. Can you?....now?
Caddy is rubbish. Harper hasn't had a kick. McDonald can't kick for poo.

You're taking the pee naming F/S players

And further taking the pee with Jayden Pitt. I'll let you figure out why he will NEVER EVER be a better player than Reece.

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #72 on: April 13, 2014, 03:02:16 PM »
Who are these 13?
J. Caddy
D.Heppell
D.Prestia
S. Atley
I. Smith
J. Darling
K. Harper
J. Howe
G. Horlin-Smith
L. Parker
T. Liberatore
T. McDonald
A. Johnson
P. Puoplo

J. Pitt
T. Lynch
B. Smedts
M. Wallis
C. Guthrie
C. O'Shea

Caddy is rubbish. Harper hasn't had a kick. McDonald can't kick for poo.

You're taking the pee naming F/S players

And further taking the pee with Jayden Pitt. I'll let you figure out why he will NEVER EVER be a better player than Reece.
:clapping

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #73 on: April 13, 2014, 05:40:24 PM »
It's a great thread  ::)
Attack a persons weakness by trolling your own football club. About as courageous as Mcaffers effort on Cotchin  :lol
Mind you Ramps is a master at attacking the exposes nerve

the people who work and earn money from the Richmond Football Club and that includes Players, Coaches and Administrators should be ashamed and embarrassed at the early season form shown by our players. Their wages and salaries are paid for by us the members and sponsors. Every year we turn up, every year we pay money, every year they ask us for more and we pay it, every year their is a new project to fund and we fund it, and every year for the past 34 years our players and administators who are paid by us FAIL US!

If you want to attack me for exposing the weakness thats fine, if you want to attack me for trolling the club thats fine as well AND I tell you  this its absolutely fine because every year I pay my money and every year when they want more I pay more, and every year, every single year for the last 34 they fail me and you and every other supporter of the club Australia wide.

They should be embarrassed about their performances. In season 2014 its been nothing short of disgraceful and I make no apology for that  :cheers

Oh cry me a river ya drama queen.....
Weren't you the same guy that wanted a personal letter before you joined? I'd say your membership is highly conditional on your ego getting massaged.

Considering my length of membership Id say you were wrong. I also wanted the club to do what its done for the last 25 years at least and thats send out membership forms so you are wrong. You are also wrong with your attitude to the club. Its supporters like you who let the club off the hook for their diabolical performance. Youre just another apologist for the failures of the club over the last 34. Dont be such a suckhole HRT, you come across as just another suck up to the administrators at the  RFC.  :cheers

What the stuffing heck are you crapping on about?  Where am I sucking up to the admin of the club?
And what the hell does your length of membership have to do with it? I've been a member for 35 years but I don't ram in down someone's throat like a John Holmes movie.
Your like a Shane Edwards hand pass, looks good in close but still completely misses the mark.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline Eat_em_Alive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #74 on: April 13, 2014, 05:48:01 PM »
 :clapping
The anywhere, anytime Tigers.
E A T  E M  A L I V E  M O F O S