Author Topic: 2014 Draft  (Read 6627 times)

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: 2014 Draft
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2014, 10:42:15 PM »
Last year we probably only thought a small forward and a ruckman.  Now though the list is endless; a small forward, a ruckman, a KPF and a number of midfielders, A KPD and possibly a rebounding HBF

Of course best available is the way to go but we look to have a shedload of gaps now.
We don;t need a KPF. We need the ones we have to be developed. Problem is the VFL team is a black hole. How many guys do we draft that their debut is their best game? Drafting another one won't fix that.  :shh

We need a KPD, a young ruck and a truck load of mids. The mids can fill out onto the flanks Geelong style.

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2014, 10:55:55 PM »
More wogs please. We play with passion.
:clapping :clapping :clapping :clapping
The club that keeps giving.

Offline sabartooth

• Big Griff's Official Mentor !
  • Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2014, 11:32:40 PM »
Only red headed Wogs!!!- go conc :thumbsup
2 years into a 35 year plan

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2014, 11:44:55 PM »

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2014, 01:55:45 AM »
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

the claw

« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2014, 10:40:03 PM »
Last year we probably only thought a small forward and a ruckman.  Now though the list is endless; a small forward, a ruckman, a KPF and a number of midfielders, A KPD and possibly a rebounding HBF

Of course best available is the way to go but we look to have a shedload of gaps now.
We don;t need a KPF. We need the ones we have to be developed. Problem is the VFL team is a black hole. How many guys do we draft that their debut is their best game? Drafting another one won't fix that.  :shh

We need a KPD, a young ruck and a truck load of mids. The mids can fill out onto the flanks Geelong style.
disagree. reckon kpf is a greater need than any failing that as great a need as any.

been keeping an eye on a few wa boys. at this stage  i really like the look of tyler kietel a 192cm fwd, ryan lim a big hard at it mid. and if chasing x factor i like the look of sth freos jarrod pickett a 180cm fwd/mid.
if we were chasing a kpd reckon sam durdin would be the go. reckon we would have to finsh about 15th to get a crack at him though.

Offline torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2014, 10:58:26 PM »
time to TANK!

get the best midfielder!

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2014, 12:28:27 AM »

disagree. reckon kpf is a greater need than any failing that as great a need as any.

been keeping an eye on a few wa boys. at this stage  i really like the look of tyler kietel a 192cm fwd, ryan lim a big hard at it mid. and if chasing x factor i like the look of sth freos jarrod pickett a 180cm fwd/mid.
if we were chasing a kpd reckon sam durdin would be the go. reckon we would have to finsh about 15th to get a crack at him though.
I just think we need to let the ones we have develop especially if we are only going to play 2 in the ones. Otherwise we end up with a heap of them at VFL level and that's not great for the team. If we were to take one then one of the more mobile sized guys like you've got with Keitel would better complement us. More a Gunston sized guy than a 200cm monster.

KPD on the other hand...we need some help. Durdin would be great but he's my pick 1. Long gone even if we tank now we've still won too many for Melb to catch us.  :lol

Pickett I really like. I would have said perfect for us, but now starting to think we need some more substance in the midfield and am leaning towards Lachie Weller. Brilliant kick, good athleticism but only 180cm.

I don't rate Lim. From what I've seen he's a poor kick. Once someone else delists him he will fit right in at RFC.

Cockatoo was one I liked the glimpses I've seen but now he's injured.

Another to keep an eye out for is Shannon Taylor (the ex-WA boy) playing for Frankston now. He's Vlastuin/McDonough's age.

the claw

« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2014, 08:16:32 PM »
what kpfs do we have tigs.
riewoldt is the only proven kpf we have.
elton is a junior and needs time to develop. hes the only other kpf on the list who looks likely imo as a permanent kpf.it seems hes stagnating with no incremental improvement happening.
griffiths well hes not doing anything forward at all, he is doing okay as a 2nd ruckman.  imo he should be  a genuine kpf or f/f to be exact.  but you have to ask will he make it as one.
vickery ffs give me a break.
mcbean  another 200cm ruckman come fwd. until he can start taking contested marks he is nowhere near a kpf. the club tells me hes a ruckman.

even if all of these guys made it the list is two or three out and  tall fwds  shy of what is needed. 

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2014, 01:44:53 AM »
what kpfs do we have tigs.
riewoldt is the only proven kpf we have.
elton is a junior and needs time to develop. hes the only other kpf on the list who looks likely imo as a permanent kpf.it seems hes stagnating with no incremental improvement happening.
griffiths well hes not doing anything forward at all, he is doing okay as a 2nd ruckman.  imo he should be  a genuine kpf or f/f to be exact.  but you have to ask will he make it as one.
vickery ffs give me a break.
mcbean  another 200cm ruckman come fwd. until he can start taking contested marks he is nowhere near a kpf. the club tells me hes a ruckman.

even if all of these guys made it the list is two or three out and  tall fwds  shy of what is needed.
Unfortunately unless we move Vickery into the ruck as a 1st ruck which we probably should be doing with Griff looking ok as that 2nd ruck. Elton and McBean are the VFL KPF's with whoever doesn't play out of Griff/Vickery. So when we recruit another we have nowhere to play them at VFL level. We are already way too tall there as it is. The issue I see is that we seem to have drafted the land of the giants, where as we need to get a bigger version of Aaron Edwards. That hard leading 3rd tall type in the Gunston mould. We probably need to move someone on to do it or move Vicks to the ruck.

I actually don't mind Vickery as a forward but he eats up the same space of the ground that Jack does and Jack is 100x the footballer Ty is.

I'd got a ruck combo of 1. Maric 2. Ty 3. Hampson. KPF's Jack, Griff, Elton, McBean and then there is room for one more with Vickery becoming a ruck.

KPD on the other hand...We have 3 with 2 x 3rd talls.

Plus I'd like a junior ruck as well. Unfortunately there is only so many Rucks/KPF's we can have because there's only so many spots on the field that guys that play those 2 positions can fit. The other option is to play them down back, but we've seen the best 3 guys we've drafted for down back were actually backs. The guys we try convert don't make it as backs.

Offline Simonator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2014, 08:32:10 AM »
Should get Joe Maishman from the geelong falcons.. extremely skilled on both sides, quick.. listed as a mid but I reckon could be a really good small forward/half forward for us. Will go around pick 30 I reckon

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2014, 04:26:45 PM »
On Hutchy's TAC Cup Future Stars show, Wallace has going a running top 10 for the 2014 draft. Today, we were at pick 6 and he had Jarrod Pickett going to us.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Callum Twomey @AFL_CalTwomey  ·  Jun 7
"Fair game from Jarrod Pickett for WA. 21 disposals, three goals, five clearances and seven inside-50s. "

From BF:
Jarrod Pickett (WA – Utility/Mid)
Height: 179cm, Weight: 76kg, DOB: 18/08/1996
Recruited from: South Fremantle
Style: Lewis Jetta (less explosive)
Player comparison: Danyle Pearce
Range: 3-15
Profile: Jarrod Pickett is a speedy type who can play anywhere and inject some real pace and energy into the game. He really enjoys taking on the game with ball in hand and can some offensive damage with his pace and footskills. I also really enjoy his tendency after a mark whenever the opportunity is there to work out quickly that he has the opportunity to take off then he just goes and generates some instant offense generating a meaningful drive rather forward than just going back behind the mark and moving the ball slowly forward. He’s not only damaging when he gets the ball but for an outside type he’s also an above average accumulator which is a real positive and is what suggests to me he has a future in this game when you combine that with his ability to do damage.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/knightmares-2014-phantom-draft.1060197/

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2014, 04:52:37 PM »
On Hutchy's TAC Cup Future Stars show, Wallace has going a running top 10 for the 2014 draft. Today, we were at pick 6 and he had Jarrod Pickett going to us.

"Fair game from Jarrod Pickett for WA. 21 disposals, three goals, five clearances and seven inside-50s. "

From BF:
Profile: Jarrod Pickett is a speedy type who can play anywhere and inject some real pace and energy into the game. He really enjoys taking on the game with ball in hand and can some offensive damage with his pace and footskills. I also really enjoy his tendency after a mark whenever the opportunity is there to work out quickly that he has the opportunity to take off then he just goes and generates some instant offense generating a meaningful drive rather forward than just going back behind the mark and moving the ball slowly forward. He’s not only damaging when he gets the ball but for an outside type he’s also an above average accumulator which is a real positive and is what suggests to me he has a future in this game when you combine that with his ability to do damage.

Sounds like the same wrap JON got

the claw

« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2014, 05:13:41 PM »

those gaps were always there they dont just appear overnight. there would be no gaps if we could get list management right.

Rampstar

« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2014, 05:25:23 PM »

From BF:

Sounds like the same wrap JON got

JON seemed to have some problems outside of the normal ones our players have, people said he struggled to understand game plans and how he fitted into the plan and where he was supposed to run etc, he also had a really poor kicking action from memory.