Author Topic: 2014 Draft  (Read 6709 times)

the claw

Re: 2014 Draft
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2014, 05:46:44 PM »
what kpfs do we have tigs.
riewoldt is the only proven kpf we have.
elton is a junior and needs time to develop. hes the only other kpf on the list who looks likely imo as a permanent kpf.it seems hes stagnating with no incremental improvement happening.
griffiths well hes not doing anything forward at all, he is doing okay as a 2nd ruckman.  imo he should be  a genuine kpf or f/f to be exact.  but you have to ask will he make it as one.
vickery ffs give me a break.
mcbean  another 200cm ruckman come fwd. until he can start taking contested marks he is nowhere near a kpf. the club tells me hes a ruckman.

even if all of these guys made it the list is two or three out and  tall fwds  shy of what is needed.
Unfortunately unless we move Vickery into the ruck as a 1st ruck which we probably should be doing with Griff looking ok as that 2nd ruck. Elton and McBean are the VFL KPF's with whoever doesn't play out of Griff/Vickery. So when we recruit another we have nowhere to play them at VFL level. We are already way too tall there as it is. The issue I see is that we seem to have drafted the land of the giants, where as we need to get a bigger version of Aaron Edwards. That hard leading 3rd tall type in the Gunston mould. We probably need to move someone on to do it or move Vicks to the ruck.

I actually don't mind Vickery as a forward but he eats up the same space of the ground that Jack does and Jack is 100x the footballer Ty is.

I'd got a ruck combo of 1. Maric 2. Ty 3. Hampson. KPF's Jack, Griff, Elton, McBean and then there is room for one more with Vickery becoming a ruck.

KPD on the other hand...We have 3 with 2 x 3rd talls.

Plus I'd like a junior ruck as well. Unfortunately there is only so many Rucks/KPF's we can have because there's only so many spots on the field that guys that play those 2 positions can fit. The other option is to play them down back, but we've seen the best 3 guys we've drafted for down back were actually backs. The guys we try convert don't make it as backs.

we aint too far apart.
the list overall should go
ruck/fwd/def 2. one in the seniors,   a junior in the twos. we have three vickery, griffiths, mcbean. we dont need 3 we should trade one of them out while they have value.unless one can become a starting ruck. or one can hold down a permant kp. me ive always wanted us to develop mcbean at chb. ive seen enough of vickery to want to replace him on the list.
kpf 4.  basically f/f  chf  in the seniors, f/f chf in the reserves. we only have riewoldt elton who are genuine stay at home kpfs. we need two.
tall fwd gunston type  2. one in the seniors one in the twos. tom lamb would be a good fit here imo would have to use 1st rounder to get him though.. just like marsh would have been worth taking late last yr.

same sort of thing with the tall defenders
 kpd 4. f/b chb seniors. f/b chb twos. we have chaplin rance and astbury. if chaplin is to go we need to find  two.
tall defenders  2, one in seniors. one in the twos. we have grimes, darrou, mcintosh could even place batchelor here.we could cut 2 of em.

ruckmen 3, starting ruck in seniors, starting ruck in twos.  development ruck in twos.  need to replace stephenson with a junior. need to find hampsons replacement and maric is 28 and dare i say it struggling.

the claw

« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2014, 06:27:31 PM »
what kpfs do we have tigs.
riewoldt is the only proven kpf we have.
elton is a junior and needs time to develop. hes the only other kpf on the list who looks likely imo as a permanent kpf.it seems hes stagnating with no incremental improvement happening.
griffiths well hes not doing anything forward at all, he is doing okay as a 2nd ruckman.  imo he should be  a genuine kpf or f/f to be exact.  but you have to ask will he make it as one.
vickery ffs give me a break.
mcbean  another 200cm ruckman come fwd. until he can start taking contested marks he is nowhere near a kpf. the club tells me hes a ruckman.

even if all of these guys made it the list is two or three out and  tall fwds  shy of what is needed.

Plus I'd like a junior ruck as well. Unfortunately there is only so many Rucks/KPF's we can have because there's only so many spots on the field that guys that play those 2 positions can fit. The other option is to play them down back, but we've seen the best 3 guys we've drafted for down back were actually backs. The guys we try convert don't make it as backs.
was big on darcy cameron last yr thought we needed to rookie him. i still am keen not sur if we will get him as a rookie now though, josh miller is another.
one i like is jermaine miller - lewis.  this kid has all the attributes if hes about the place at pick 50ish id be looking.

the jack gunstan type, well tom lamb would be a great get. i can imagine if we somehow got him and say pat mccartin the tall fwd line situation would go from ordinary to heaven in one draft.
it would actually fix an area so we could forget about it and concentrate on other areas.
like you i liked hourigan last yr how is he going do you know. would he be worth a rookie pick if hes showing a bit.

on ryan lim. while i agree when he makes a howler its a howler, but most of the time his kicking is fine. reckon people overplay this damn good all round player imo.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2014, 10:26:07 PM »
Plough's latest weekly draft top 10: (I've included the current AFL club draft order).

1. St.K - Christian Petracca (VIC/Eastern Ranges – Fwd/Mid) ...... Height: 186cm, Weight: 92kg,  DOB: 04/01/1996
2. Bris - Patrick McCartin ....(VIC/Geelong Falcons - KPF) ........... Height: 193cm, Weight: 95kg,  DOB: 19/04/1996
3. GWS -  Peter Wright ......(VIC/Calder Cannons - KPF/Ruck) ..... Height: 203cm, Weight: 102kg, DOB: 08/09/1996
4. Rich - Angus Brayshaw ...(VIC/Sandringham Dragons – Mid) ..... Height: 187cm, Weight: 87kg,  DOB: 09/01/1996
5. Melb - Sam Durdin .........(SA/West Adelaide - KPP) ................ Height: 197cm, Weight: 89kg,  DOB: 06/06/1996
6. WB -   Jarrod Pickett .....(WA/South Fremantle – Utility/Mid) .... Height: 179cm, Weight: 76kg,  DOB: 18/08/1996
7. Carl - Tom Lamb ...........(VIC/Dandenong Stringrays - Fwd/Mid) Height: 192cm, Weight: 83kg,  DOB: 19/10/1996
8. WCE -  Kyle Langford .....(VIC/Northern Knights – Fwd/Mid) ..... Height: 190cm, Weight: 73kg,  DOB: 01/12/1996
9. Adel - Lachlan Weller .....(QLD/Broadbeach – Mid) .................. Height: 181cm, Weight: 71kg,  DOB: 23/02/1996
10. Ess - Caleb Marchbank .(VIC/Murray Bushrangers – KPD) ........ Height: 193cm, Weight: 85kg,  DOB: 12/07/1996

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2014, 10:32:15 PM »
Plough's latest weekly draft top 10: (I've included the current AFL club draft order).

3. GWS -  Peter Wright ......(VIC/Calder Cannons - KPF/Ruck) ..... Height: 203cm, Weight: 102kg, DOB: 08/09/1996

Just what we need right now. Lets go for a priority pick too.

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2014, 11:10:14 PM »
All these blokes praying they go anywhere but Richmond.

These kids and parents aren't stupid. They see guys like Conca, Vickery, Ellis, Griffiths (the list is endless) go backwards after getting recruited by us whilst players like Fyfe, Heppell, Duncan etc etc become genuine players getting better & better each year.
There's even people on here complaining about Lids, Cotch and Jack too.

Until the issues are addressed and the culture is fixed the RFC will be continue to be the wreckers of the AFL comp.

The club that keeps giving.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2014, 02:25:57 PM »
Plough's latest running top 10 draft prediction ...

1. St K - Patrick McCartin     (VIC/Geelong Falcons - KPF) ............ Height: 193cm, Weight: 95kg,  DOB: 19/04/1996
2. Bris -  Peter Wright          (VIC/Calder Cannons - KPF/Ruck) ...... Height: 203cm, Weight: 102kg, DOB: 08/09/1996
3. GWS - Christian Petracca (VIC/Eastern Ranges – Fwd/Mid) ........ Height: 186cm, Weight: 92kg,  DOB: 04/01/1996
4. Rich - Jarrod Pickett         (WA/South Fremantle – Utility/Mid) .... Height: 179cm, Weight: 76kg,  DOB: 18/08/1996
5. Melb - Angus Brayshaw     (VIC/Sandringham Dragons – Mid) ...... Height: 187cm, Weight: 87kg,  DOB: 09/01/1996
6. WB   - Sam Durdin           (SA/West Adelaide - KPP) ................. Height: 197cm, Weight: 89kg,  DOB: 06/06/1996
7. Carl - Tom Lamb              (VIC/Dandenong Stringrays - Fwd/Mid) Height: 192cm, Weight: 83kg,  DOB: 19/10/1996
8. WCE - Clem Smith            (WA/Perth - Util) ............................ Height: 177cm, Weight: 74kg, DOB: 03/02/1996
9. Adel - Jake Lever            (VIC/Calder Cannons – Def/KPD) ......... Height: 192cm, Weight: 84kg, DOB: 05/03/1996
10. Ess - Caleb Marchbank    (VIC/Murray Bushrangers – KPD) ........ Height: 193cm, Weight: 85kg,  DOB: 12/07/1996

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2014, 02:31:54 PM »
All these blokes praying they go anywhere but Richmond.

These kids and parents aren't stupid. They see guys like Conca, Vickery, Ellis, Griffiths (the list is endless) go backwards after getting recruited by us whilst players like Fyfe, Heppell, Duncan etc etc become genuine players getting better & better each year.
There's even people on here complaining about Lids, Cotch and Jack too.

Until the issues are addressed and the culture is fixed the RFC will be continue to be the wreckers of the AFL comp.

I don't by this cause its too emo for me

Sure we are not Gold Coast

But a kid can do worse than paying alongside rance. Miles. Dea. Vlastuin. Deledio. Cotchin. Martin Lennon . Etc

I spose the kid in question hopes hardwick gets there's. so he might get a game  :whistle

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2014, 05:42:20 PM »
Whoever we get we have already ruined them, were screwed

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2014, 05:51:40 PM »
Plough mustn't have checked Pickett's skin colour before putting him at Richmond's pick.  ::)

the claw

« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2014, 06:43:40 PM »

Just what we need right now. Lets go for a priority pick too.
so hoiw many kpf / rucks do you want. we can just add him to vickery,griffiths, and mc bean. i have to ask again how many 200cm plus players have ever gone on to become good key fwds.

wright may be one of the few exceptions to the rule but at this stage my money would be on him becoming a ruckman.
me if chasing a kpf id be after mccartin. if after a jack gunston type id be after lamb.
if chasing a kpd it would probably be durdin. yet durdin could end up a fwd.

if we had pick 3 or 4 and used it on pickett id be spewing. and i like pickett as a sml quick classy outside mid/fwd. he would fill a midfield need.he would address some of our pace issues but he aint going to lead from the front and drag his mates over the line.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2014, 06:52:48 PM »
On the TAC Cup Future Stars show, Plough also had a % of success per player type stat for top 10 draftees (2001-2010).

Draft an inside mid with a top 10 pick and you had a 85% success rate of that kid becoming a long-term one-club AFL player whereas any other type (ruck, KP, outside mid/flanker) had just a 30% success rate.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2014, 01:54:38 PM »
Reckon we should have a look a Lonie. Wouldn't use our first pick on him so it depends how long he lasts but we could do with a smart small foward

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2014, 04:46:36 PM »
Reckon we should have a look a Lonie. Wouldn't use our first pick on him so it depends how long he lasts but we could do with a smart small foward
Agreed.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Jon Anderson predicts top 20 draft picks (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2014, 04:36:05 AM »
Jon Anderson profiles the Under 18s class of 2014, predicts top 20 draft picks

Jon Anderson
    Herald Sun
    June 25, 2014 9:47PM

IN an AFL draft rated the most open in a decade, one performance over the coming weeks could determine which way recruiters go at the very top.

Maybe that performance took place last Friday, June 20, on the hallowed fields of Geelong Grammar where their full forward in Patrick McCartin booted five goals against Xavier College.

Those who witnessed the display said it had all the hallmarks of a budding AFL key forward, even if schoolboy football is rarely used as a strong guideline. But McCartin was opposed at times by a promising young Xavier College defender named Jack Whitehead.

McCartin will get the opportunity to further impress tomorrow when the U18 division 1 games are played at Simmonds Stadium in Geelong. As a Type 2 diabetic he requires five to six injections a day and must come to the bench during games to check his blood.

Will that influence recruiters? One said yesterday it is unlikely to be an issue, and with St Kilda and Brisbane both a chance for the first pick and both requiring a key forward, McCartin is a likely target.

In terms of smaller forwards South Fremantle’s Jarrod Pickett has suddenly jumped the queue at the halfway mark of the Australian U18 National Championships.

The 179cm Pickett has emerged as a genuine top five candidate depending on who finishes where on the AFL ladder and what their requirements are.

Pickett is an extremely fast (20m sprint 2.81 sec) midfielder/forward who would offer a team such as GWS something very different, with the Giants unlikely to choose a key forward in a draft that has several extremely well qualified candidates.

What the Giants do require apart from a player of Pickett’s capabilities is a key defender which would bring West Adelaide’s 196cm Sam Durdin into the equation given his ability to play both ends of the ground.

But the Giants’ current purple patch suggests they could finish ahead of St Kilda and Brisbane, two teams that surely must choose a key forward with Nick Riewoldt and Jonathan Brown nearing the end.

It is a draft with some useful father/son candidates, headed by Darcy Moore (Peter, Collingwood), Alex Waterman (Chris, West Coast) Billy Stretch (Steven, Melbourne) and Zaine Cordy (Brian). All will receive bids from rival clubs, leaving it up to their prospective homes to match those bids.

The “Potential Top 20” posted here is very much a work in progress and there will be further bolters before the U18 championships finish on July 3 at Simonds Stadium. Melbourne Grammar’s Ed Vickers-Willis is one such player, having risen rapidly in calculations after a fine championships to date.

One recruiter yesterday said it was a draft that was “as wide and broad as I’ve ever seen…..it’s tricky, but that can be a good thing if you do your homework. But not necessarily you would want to have the number one pick in”.

An interesting player is Geelong Falcons tall utility Hugh Goddard, who is a cousin of Brendon. A year ago he was a top three selection but a quietish carnival to date has seen him slide, just like a youngster named Lance Franklin did in 2004.

Franklin will be in the back of the minds of some recruiters come draft night and Goddard will be very hard to ignore, because if you do and he becomes a star, then start looking for a new job unless the bloke you picked also becomes a gun.

ANDO’S POTENTIAL TOP 20

1: Patrick McCartin (194cm, Geelong Falcons): Pace (tick) hands (tick) strength (tick) kicking (tick), McCartin covers the required bases for a key forward.

2: Peter Wright (203cm, Calder Cannons): A ruckman/forward who has always hovered around the top five for the 2014 draft.

3: Sam Durdin (196cm, West Adelaide): Has the advantage of being able to play both ends but has had a poor championship series to date.

4: Christian Petracca (186cm, Eastern Ranges): Rocketing up the charts. Has a genuine X factor either as a bullocking forward or midfielder.

5: Jarrod Pickett (179cm, South Fremantle): Each outing confirms his standing as an indigenous forward/midfielder of serious style.

6: Isaac Heeney (186cm, Sydney Academy): Under the Academy rules, Sydney can draft this hard-running midfielder, but will have to bid for him same as father/son bidding.

7: Angus Brayshaw (187c, Sandringham Dragons): A tallish, strong-bodied midfielder that Melbourne would love to acquire. Very consistent.

8: Tom Lamb (193cm, Dandenong Stingrays): A player capable of extreme highs as either a goalkicking forward or high possession midfielder.

9: Hugh Goddard (195cm, Geelong Falcons): A long-time top 5 pick who has slipped after a mediocre championships to date.

10: Caleb Marchbank (193cm, Murray Bushrangers): Hasn’t done his chances any harm in the championships and is athletic enough to play most positions.

11: Jake Lever (192cm, Calder Cannons): Won’t be seen at the championships due to a knee reconstruction but remains extremely highly thought of as a defender.

12: Lachie Weller (181cm, Gold Coast Academy): A goal kicking midfielder who can influence play via his disposal. Brother of St Kilda’s Mav.

13: Corey Ellis (185cm, Western Jets): Can win his own ball and use it with his left-foot. Regarded as a very good decision making midfielder.

14: Darcy Moore (199cm, Oakleigh Chargers): Key position either back or forward who is likely to go to Collingwood as a first round father/son pick.

15: Jordan de Goey (187cm, Oakleigh): Has a rugby background. Strong marking midfielder who can gather possessions quickly.

16: Clem Smith (177cm, Perth): Super quick defender whose attack on the ball belies his small stature. Likes to run with the ball and set up play.

17: Touk Miller (175cm, Calder Cannons): The Vic Metro captain is a highly talented natural sportsman who plays midfield/forward.

18: Brayden Maynard (186cm, Sandringham): Father Peter played for Glenelg. Plays as a mid-size defender who uses it very well.

19: Connor Blakely (187cm, Swan Districts): Has been playing good senior football in the WAFL as a midfielder. His star is rising.

20: Jayden Laverde (189cm, Western Jets): With the tendency towards taller midfielders, Laverde is ideal and he has the versatility to play defence.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/jon-anderson-profiles-the-under-18s-class-of-2014-predicts-top-20-draft-picks/story-fngeflq8-1226966942629

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2014, 09:44:47 AM »
Eddie saying swans get top 3 pick in rookie draft via academy