Author Topic: Preseason & Rookie Drafts discussion thread [merged]  (Read 20804 times)

the claw

Preseason & Rookie Drafts discussion thread [merged]
« on: November 03, 2014, 09:48:54 PM »
 yep we have more rookie picks than nd picks, does anyone have a player or players in mind or even type of player.

i actually have a few in mind and im sure the list will grow when kids i like dont get drafted.
can think of three ruckmen  would look at one possibly two. can think of a few x factor types and theres one or two state leaguers id like us to look at.

okay ill start two ruckmen in wa i like.
darcy cameron a kid i wanted us to take last yr.imo is tracking along nicely and could go in the nd  with a late pick.
then thers a bloke at south freo 203/101 cameron loersch just see some good signs in this bloke.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 12:01:20 AM by one-eyed »

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Preseason & Rookie Drafts discussion thread [merged]
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2014, 09:52:23 PM »
yep we have more rookie picks than nd picks, does anyone have a player or players in mind or even type of player.

i actually have a few in mind and im sure the list will grow when kids i like dont get drafted.
can think of three ruckmen  would look at one possibly two. can think of a few x factor types and theres one or two state leaguers id like us to look at.

darcy cameron a kid i wanted us to take last yr.imo is tracking along nicely and could go in the nd  with a late pick.
then thers a bloke at south freo 203/101 cameron loersch just see some good signs in this bloke.
Agree. Two of the five should be ruckmen.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

the claw

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2014, 09:58:04 PM »

Agree. Two of the five should be ruckmen.
i think if we dont take a tall with our 3 nd picks then 3 even  4 of the 5 rookies should be talls if it can be done and those available warrant it.

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2014, 09:13:52 AM »
I ould like us to fill our international rookie spots with athletes and teach them AFL. Maybe its crazy but I reckon the game is about athleticism.

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2014, 10:51:41 AM »
whats going on with our PNG chaps they still around or they taken off?
Mi no amamas true long dispella sumting
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2014, 10:55:55 AM »
Yugoslavians or africans

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2014, 11:38:57 AM »
cant tell until the draft leftovers, my mail is we are keeping tabs on plenty. Blair and FJ have every draftee ranked in talent order...we re well placed to scoop the pool....again  :clapping
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2014, 11:41:05 AM »
Well that's the ONE job they have ffs

I'm glad they doing something

Its like saying the lollypop lady pressed the button :shh
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 03:31:05 PM by Judge Roughneck »

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2014, 03:22:48 PM »
cant tell until the draft leftovers, my mail is we are keeping tabs on plenty. Blair and FJ have every draftee ranked in talent order...we re well placed to scoop the pool....again  :clapping

Where's Willy Wonka when you need him!  :banghead An Everlasting Gobstopper would come in handy right about now....

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2014, 04:12:32 PM »
Well, pardon me for interrupting  ::) resume normal transmission, talkin BS  :lol
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline The Big Richo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Keyboard Hero
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2014, 04:18:37 PM »
Brady Foster
Robin Nahas
Brock McLean
Draftee
Draftee
Who isn't a fan of the thinking man's orange Tim Fleming?

Gerks 27/6/11

But you see, it's not me, it's not my family.
In your head, in your head they are fighting,
With their tanks and their bombs,
And their bombs and their guns.
In your head, in your head, they are crying...

Offline The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2014, 02:32:38 PM »

A few I like - Shannon Taylor 178cm mid/small forward from Frankston, Jake Owen 191cm utility from Williamstown, Kane Lambert 178cm mid from Williamstown. Have not seen Shane Yarran 186cm from Subiaco live but he looks good in his highlight package. Earlier this year, I will having a coffee in Williamstown and sitting next to me was Luke Williams meeting with Andy Collins and another Willie official. Interesting!! Keeping a keen eye on a few Willie players?

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2014, 03:26:07 PM »
Agree with Claw on Darcy Cameron, would also like Shane Nelson and a big young KPD to work with. Those three at least. Others - depends on what's left and what list numbers we go with.

"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

tony_montana

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2014, 07:59:01 PM »
Just curious - based on historical data, how many of the competitions premier or even solid B grade KPF's and KPD's have come via the rookie draft? Off the top of my head I cant really think of any.

Roughead, Buddy, Reiwoldtx2, Cameron, Tippett, pavlich, Darling, Carlisle, Sarge, Rance, Talia, Walker etc etc were all highly regarded and taken in the first or 2nd round.

Ruckmen on the other hand - a fair few that come from the rookie list go on to be players. Midfielders the same. Based on that would you almost exclusively draft mids and rucks on your rookie list? Keep your top picks for the blue chip tall talent or trade for one you can build a line around

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2014, 08:59:08 PM »
Just curious - based on historical data, how many of the competitions premier or even solid B grade KPF's and KPD's have come via the rookie draft? Off the top of my head I cant really think of any.

Roughead, Buddy, Reiwoldtx2, Cameron, Tippett, pavlich, Darling, Carlisle, Sarge, Rance, Talia, Walker etc etc were all highly regarded and taken in the first or 2nd round.

Ruckmen on the other hand - a fair few that come from the rookie list go on to be players. Midfielders the same. Based on that would you almost exclusively draft mids and rucks on your rookie list? Keep your top picks for the blue chip tall talent or trade for one you can build a line around

Well Adelaide managed to find themselves two very good KPD's via the rookie list in Rutten -  though he was only 190cm and Bock at 193 cm became a good CHB after both initailly being rookied as a forwards, but yes apart from those two that I can immediately think of, you have a point Scarface.......there's been couple of good non- KP defenders as well though like Patfull (who can also play as a key) & Gibson, but again - yes - no real giant KPD's it has to be said.

We still need to somehow shore up our tall defensive stocks IMO, taking into account the aging Chaplin, the uncertainty with Astbury (even Grimes for that matter, considering his own personal and family injury history), the fact clubs are circling Rance and even the delisting of Darrou and it starts to look decidedly thin.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." 

- Gustav Mahler

FJ is the only one that makes sense.