Author Topic: Punt Road Oval redevelopment & Indigenous institute [merged]  (Read 122563 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Punt Road Oval redevelopment & Indigenous institute [merged]
« on: September 15, 2005, 01:58:34 AM »
VFL ovals to bounce back with a free kick
By Mathew Murphy
The Age
September 15, 2005

TIME-WORN suburban football grounds that once hosted VFL games will be upgraded under a partnership between the State Government and the AFL.

The AFL has called on clubs to make submissions on ways to improve facilities that could also be used by local communities.

St Kilda is identified as one of the AFL clubs eligible for funding.

AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou said St Kilda's training ground at Moorabbin, Richmond's Punt Road Oval, Carlton's Optus Oval and the Kangaroos' Arden Street premises would be top of the list to receive funding given their dilapidated states.

He said that in the interests of a fairer AFL competition, improved facilities at Victorian clubs would enable them to better compete with their interstate rivals, which have superior training facilities.

"There is no doubt that your facilities and how you train can give you that little bit of an edge," he said. "It is amazing that a club like the Kangaroos has been able to compete as it has on the field and work in probably the worst conditions you can imagine …"

Premier Steve Bracks would not say how much money the Government would allocate. Each case would be considered independently.

Proposals to improve training facilities, administration and office areas and grandstand decommissioning would be considered by the AFL's facilities development reserve.

Demetriou said the reserve had $10 million waiting to be spent. He said submissions on upgrading of grounds should focus on the benefits for the community, which would be eligible to use the improved facilities, in a similar way to the Skilled Stadium and Whitten Oval upgrades, towards which the state provided $13.5 million and $3 million respectively.

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2005/09/14/1126377374208.html
« Last Edit: October 20, 2007, 12:30:54 AM by one-eyed »

Offline Razorblade

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Punt Road Oval in line for State government funding
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2005, 02:01:09 AM »
Maybe we will be able to play VFL games there next season afterall!  :cheers

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2005, 08:37:28 AM »
Just hope that we all get an equal share and that clubs that have sat on their butts dont get xtra funding.

Richmond have done a damn good job with punt rd over the last few years with the JDF and all.

From what I can gather all we realy need now is to upgrade the change rooms and enable spectator clear acces to the ground.

It wouldn't be fair if saints and roos got extra money cause they let their grounds fall into disrepair (as we did), but at least we have been proactive about it of late. :thumbsup

PuntRdRoar

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2005, 09:42:00 AM »
what we should do is try to get about 4.5 million atleast with the major aims being

1) fix up and expand change rooms- about $300,000

2) Indoor sports area incorporating indoor cricket and football including sports merchandise shop-  $1.2 million- Our players will be able to use this facility for indoor training...and access made available to city dwellers wanting to do indoor sport.

3) build a new social club- anyone seen the bradman museum in bowral- i wanna see a building that looks like that where the current old social club is...only bigger- with outside courtyard overlooking punt road where people can go and have lunch and have a drink, with a restaurant and bistro area, with a small tab and small gaming area, and some increased office space and an a theatrerette which seats about 80 people- cost about $3.0 million- this area will be made available to everyone, the theatrette can be made available free of charge to city hospitals and the epworth when we dont need it for our player coaching and so forth.

Thats my shopping list...anyone else?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2005, 11:01:39 PM by RampagingTiger »

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2005, 05:14:37 PM »
Likes your ideas RT. The social club and changerooms need to be expanded.

It's far-fetched but I wouldn't mind some sort of virtual gameday simulator for the players to improve and quicken their decision making skills.

If you've been to Moorabbin Oval  (went to see Coburg play Springvale there about six months to a year ago) and apart from the Tabaret and the oval surface, the rest of the ground is about only good for bulldozing. The old stand looks like it hasn't been touched since the last AFL game there. Just goes to show how beneficial the JDF has been to Richmond and Punt Road Oval when you compare the state of the two grounds. Anyway some developer is in the process of redesigning the whole Linton Street area with adding housing and all. Similar to what happened out at Waverley.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2005, 06:40:43 PM »
what we should do is try to get about 4.5 million atleast with the major aims being

1) fix up and expand change rooms- about $300,000

2) Indoor sports area incorporating indoor cricket and football including sports merchandise shop-  $1.2 million- Our players will be able to use this facility for indoor training...and access made available to city dwellers wanting to do indoor sport.

3) build a new social club- anyone seen the bradman museum in bowral- i wanna see a building that looks like where the current old social club is...only bigger- with outside courtyard overlooking punt road where people can go and have lunch and have a drink, with a restaurant and bistro area, with a small tab and small gaming area, and some increased office space and an a theatrerette which seats about 200 people- cost about $3.0 million- this area will be made available to everyone, the theatrette can be made available free of charge to city hospitals and the epworth when we dont need it for our player coaching and so forth.

Not on the JDF committee are you RT?  ;D

Your wish list is pretty close to what the club wants for Punt Road - next stage of the JDF.  ;)

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

PuntRdRoar

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2005, 07:04:39 PM »
nah im not, but im just invisaging like an old country english cricket ground type concept. bulldozing the current social club and putting up a new one that looks nice like the design for the bradman museum which i invisage which flow beautifully around from where the old one is at the moment to the right headed towards brunton avenue side of the ground. if these are the ideas of the jdf then they are on the right track. Of course if they are looking for people to assist them i would be more than happy to help. buzz me people. Remember all of the stuff we ask for we need to show it has public benefit, some of my ideas of public benefit may be seen as dodgy but if some greek guy can get money to paint trees blue then this greek boy may have some ideas of how we can get the best corner precinct in melbourne to look like the best sporting precinct in melbourne.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2005, 09:58:22 AM by RampagingTiger »

PuntRdRoar

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2005, 10:58:15 PM »
supposedly we are asking for $6.5 million. That would be more than $4.5 million I was hoping for.

letsgetiton!

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2005, 06:48:29 AM »
supposedly we are asking for $6.5 million. That would be more than $4.5 million I was hoping for.

i heard we are getting that money also. i heard yesterday on the news (forget which news program) that we are getting 6.5 million to renovate , rejuvinate and improve all facilities at puint rd. money is being funded by both afl and city council.
i hope what i heard is correct

Offline Razorblade

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2005, 09:37:47 AM »
Thats fantastic!

What happens to the money in the JDF, i thought that the money in there went to renovations!

letsgetiton!

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2005, 10:51:01 AM »
Thats fantastic!

What happens to the money in the JDF, i thought that the money in there went to renovations!

they did, but now there are plans for a bigger social club, better gym, better function facilities, a bigger and better museum , improvements all over !

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2005, 11:07:52 AM »

i heard we are getting that money also. i heard yesterday on the news (forget which news program) that we are getting 6.5 million to renovate , rejuvinate and improve all facilities at puint rd. money is being funded by both afl and city council.
i hope what i heard is correct

My understanding is that the cost on the proposed new renovations and improvements is $6.5 million.

From what I've heard what they are hoping to do will be sensational for not only the Club but the community as well :thumbsup

The RFC are seeking funding for the majority of the works from the the State Government and AFL as part of what the AFL & Government are offering as per the original article posted, plus funding from the City Council.

The RFC will have to raise the balance of the money themselves through the JDF.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
Re: Punt Road Oval Redevelopment
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2005, 08:01:56 PM »
My understanding is that the cost on the proposed new renovations and improvements is $6.5 million.

From what I've heard what they are hoping to do will be sensational for not only the Club but the community as well :thumbsup

The RFC are seeking funding for the majority of the works from the the State Government and AFL as part of what the AFL & Government are offering as per the original article posted, plus funding from the City Council.

The RFC will have to raise the balance of the money themselves through the JDF.

Got the RFC annual report in today's mail and it says the following on page 4 in the Presidents report:

"The proposal cost of the redevelopment is $6.5m and funding of $5m is being sought from the AFL, Victorian Government and City of Melbourne"

Details of the development also on page 4 is:

"... encompasses the removal of the current social club building,restoration of the Jack Dyer Grandstand, construction of two new buildings and additional car-parking"

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2006, 12:12:39 PM »
From BF:

Tomorrow will see the announcement of a $6.5m redevelopment of the Punt Road Oval, home of the Tiges.

Bracks will make the announcement from Punt Road with Steve Wright, TW etc. To be funded $2m by Vic Govt, $2m by the Council, $1.5m by the AFL and $1m by RFC.

http://bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=247319

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2006, 12:36:56 PM »

3) build a new social club- anyone seen the bradman museum in bowral- i wanna see a building that looks like that where the current old social club is...only bigger- with outside courtyard overlooking punt road where people can go and have lunch and have a drink, with a restaurant and bistro area, with a small tab and small gaming area, and some increased office space and an a theatrerette which seats about 80 people- cost about $3.0 million- this area will be made available to everyone, the theatrette can be made available free of charge to city hospitals and the epworth when we dont need it for our player coaching and so forth.

Ramps, My Sister lives just across the road from the Bradman Museum. It's a great little facility with an excellent facade. It's a small building but when you walk in and look around, it appears to go on forever. Internally it's extremely well planned and outside it has a nice mix of old and new achitectural styles.
I think that style of building would fit in really well at Punt Road and the Balcony would be a great members viewing area for games.