Author Topic: Swear filter  (Read 28562 times)

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
Re: Swear filter
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2015, 04:33:36 PM »
I know some on here will say big deal but the number of female posters who have stopped posting over the last few years has been a concern. The intended or not derogatory/disparaging/sexist comments about women posted by some on here are highly offensive. At least the swear filter tones it down a bit. Not enough but a bit

My personal view on the disappearance of the elusive female poster is that with the amount of whining and whingeing kids on this site banging on about the same crap day in and day out is that they think why bother looking at a forum when they can get that same stuffing poo at home.

Whoa whoa whoa.....hang on. When the mods bang on about 'the number' of female poster(s) who have left, is this number actually only 'one'?

LMFAO 
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2015, 04:47:16 PM »
I know some on here will say big deal but the number of female posters who have stopped posting over the last few years has been a concern. The intended or not derogatory/disparaging/sexist comments about women posted by some on here are highly offensive. At least the swear filter tones it down a bit. Not enough but a bit

My personal view on the disappearance of the elusive female poster is that with the amount of whining and whingeing kids on this site banging on about the same crap day in and day out is that they think why bother looking at a forum when they can get that same stuffing poo at home.

Whoa whoa whoa.....hang on. When the mods bang on about 'the number' of female poster(s) who have left, is this number actually only 'one'?

LMFAO

Well good question Dooks and to throw one back at you, are we talking about the female posters with female genitalia or the posters that act like females but have the male genitalia allegedly?

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2015, 04:54:55 PM »
So many questions.....
"Sliding doors moment.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2015, 05:36:45 PM »

LMFAO
You may mock but we've lost at least half-a-dozen former long-term and regular female posters over the past few years.

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2015, 09:53:30 PM »

LMFAO
You may mock but we've lost at least half-a-dozen former long-term and regular female posters over the past few years.

No mocking, just superficial jest. The point is, that it was never really quantified and in itself is an issue. For example, can I ask for clarification for the site members who have remained loyal and since joined as to why the loss 6 or so former female posters is used as a key reason for the current swear filter?

I ask in the context of the 1870 current site members. 6 out of 1870. It has been explained that they didn't like language etc, but why is the weighting Of such a fraction of a minority held in such high regards and is it for any other reason that they happen to be female? I would have though through normal attrition that the loss of 6 posters of any gender for such specific reasons is a natural attrition rate on any forum.

"Sliding doors moment.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2015, 10:03:56 PM »
Was going to mention that it seems strange to use the loss of half-a-dozen females as excuses but no mention of the amount of males lost on this forum? A lot of good long term posters are gone for various reasons but no inquiry as to why? I know some seem a little put off by the apparent preference to certain groups within this forum

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2015, 06:38:34 AM »
Is one of the six Phil?

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2015, 04:43:05 PM »
that ol slapper probably got pregnant, moved in with the future father and discovered there in no internet under the westgate
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2015, 04:55:43 PM »
 :lol

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2015, 05:33:48 PM »
No mocking, just superficial jest. The point is, that it was never really quantified and in itself is an issue. For example, can I ask for clarification for the site members who have remained loyal and since joined as to why the loss 6 or so former female posters is used as a key reason for the current swear filter?

I ask in the context of the 1870 current site members. 6 out of 1870. It has been explained that they didn't like language etc, but why is the weighting Of such a fraction of a minority held in such high regards and is it for any other reason that they happen to be female? I would have though through normal attrition that the loss of 6 posters of any gender for such specific reasons is a natural attrition rate on any forum.
The swear filter has been in place since OER started way back in 2004. We have in recent times strongly enforced the barring of the C-word with an 48-hr suspension as a few people had/have continually resorted to using variations of it in their posts, including deliberately mis-spelling it, to avoid the swear filter. Aside from that there's been little change in 11 years to the swear filter.

If it was simply down to natural attrition, it would be offset by some new female posters joining which isn't happening. Six posters may not seem a lot but they were formerly regular posters here and when a whole gender virtually stops posting, in what was a short period of time, then it's a concern. As WP stated, "the intended or not derogatory/disparaging/sexist comments about women posted by some on here are highly offensive. At least the swear filter tones it down a bit. Not enough but a bit".

Was going to mention that it seems strange to use the loss of half-a-dozen females as excuses but no mention of the amount of males lost on this forum? A lot of good long term posters are gone for various reasons but no inquiry as to why? I know some seem a little put off by the apparent preference to certain groups within this forum
We've acknowledged numerous times previously that we've lost a number of good posters which obviously includes a number of very good male posters as well. A number of them got turned off continually wading through multiple ruined footy threads filled with childish crap & smut, abuse, sniping, baiting, etc and the inevitable responses and retaliation that would go on for page after page that had nothing to do with the thread topic.  It was one of the main reasons why we brought in the 3-strikes policy to try and restore some balance. After all, as WP also stated, we have a responsibility to make this forum a place where everyone feels welcome.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2015, 06:50:38 PM »
FFS can one of you flog monkeys with nothing better to do start up a new account under a females name so the mods stop going on about it.

Maybe a user name of Peggy or Meagan would be good

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2015, 07:19:54 PM »
We have Penelope, she's a good sport.  Seen her do some things that most others of her gender would be too afraid to!!

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2015, 07:32:06 PM »
We have Penelope, she's a good sport.  Seen her do some things that most others of her gender would be too afraid to!!

Oh Yeh I forgot about her

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #43 on: October 01, 2015, 10:17:35 PM »
lmao
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #44 on: October 02, 2015, 12:45:19 AM »

She the one that was at the music festival?